PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck with sheriff weekend!

dekmaster
09-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi all,
I just wanted to share my experience this weekend and possibly receive some advice. It all started after my dad and I got arrested at the Deep Purple concert in Reno, but that's a different story. I was boating at lake Almanor this weekend and I violated a strictly enforced boating law, "5MPH withing 300 feet of ANY bouye" even though this bouye said ROCKS! Either way I got pulled over by the SHERIFF. I stopped my jet about 5~10 feet away from him because there was alot of wake on the lake. He ordered me to come closer, and learning from my previously mentioned experience I complied. He asked for the rope to my boat and I gave that to him as well. As he was pulling me in to tie me off, a wake came by and you can guess what happened. Hi big aluminum cruser took a bite out of my nose. With a stupified look on his face he suggested we exchange some information. I filed a boating accident report with him. I also had five other people in my boat as witnesses. My question is this: Has anyone ever dealt with the SHERIFF's insurance company? Do you guys think I'll see anything from them?
Thanks for the advice!
Dennis

GlastronGuy
09-06-2004, 07:41 PM
\
...Hi big aluminum cruser took a bite out of my nose.
Dennis
Huh? :confused:

dekmaster
09-06-2004, 07:47 PM
His big aluminum hull cruiser hit my fiberglass boat and broke a chunk of fiberglass and gelcoat off of the nose of my boat.

bigerich
09-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Though I have had no experience with that, I will say that sucks. Not only did you get pulled over, they ended up damaging your boat??? Way lame.

ssanddemon
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Gotta love it! Johnny law trying to keep you safe from the rocks, almost sinks your boat. WHAT AN A$$HOLE!! Dunno what to advise except to get your friends' account on paper to back you up. This thing is gonna take a while to get straightened out, you don't want memories to get hazy. Good luck, man!

Cas
09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
as SS said, have everyone write down everything they experienced and get pictures!!!
What may happen is they will say "if you were abiding the law, this accident would never have happened." Going to be a tough one if it comes to that cuz now you have to prove the PO wrong. Did you get written up for anything?

LakesOnly
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
The county will pay up.
They will drag their feet and you must continue to press for your rightful financial compensation and/or restitution.
LO

steelcomp
09-06-2004, 09:15 PM
what did the ranger say? if he was owning up to it, and said it would be taken care of, I'd say no worries. If he was acting like nothing happened, or being indifferent, you'll have to work for it, but I'll bet you get your due.
Advice is good here...get as much documentation as possible. CYA!

Bow Tie Omega
09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Man, that sucks, figure the odds, having the sherriff f/u your boat. Make sure that you and all of your buddies are on the same page. I would call the Department tomorrow in the AM and find out who handles their insurance coverage and file a claim asap. Do you have coverage???? If so, have your insurance contact them. If not, make sure you follow up asap. Violation or not, they are at fault, his boat did the damage, he is the one who ordered you to tie up with him in rough water.

Heatseeker
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Like advised above, get written accounts from all your witnesses. And have each witness sign their account in front of a notary public. It'll cost you around $10 a pop, but if the thing somehow ends up in court, notarized affidavits carry big weight. I watched a judge throw un-notarized documents to the side without even reading them during a civil suit I was involved in last year(good thing all my documents were notarized!).
I always wondered if Almanor was hot boat friendly. I guess this gives me an idea...

BrendellaJet
09-07-2004, 05:19 AM
The county will pay up.
They will drag their feet and you must continue to press for your rightful financial compensation and/or restitution.
LO
Dont forget pain & suffering!

Squirtcha?
09-07-2004, 05:43 AM
5MPH withing 300 feet of ANY bouye
It's a good thing they don't do that in Arizona. You're almost always within 300' of a buoy on my favorite lake.
Good luck, I hope it all works out for ya.
I got pulled over by the sheriff myself this weekend. It happened right in front of our camp where everyone could see too. I was idling in the nowake zone (no baffles) and he waved me over and asked me why I only had steam while running and not at idle, and went on to tell me the noise ordinance for Arizona lakes. I had to try to explain to him how the Bassett system works (while not being condescending so as to offend). In the end he asked me questions about my boat and motor, and was super cool. Turned out his dad has been a big Ford man for years and the officer was betting that his old man would've got wood over my motor.
Our boating buddy and resident game and fish officer was on duty at the time and in our camp just a shaking his head when I got back in. Apparently he knew the officer that pulled me over, and I got pretty lucky in not getting a citation.
No more problems for the rest of the weekend.

dekmaster
09-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Actually in a way the SHERIFF did admit fault because he told me in due of the circumstances he wasn't going to give me a ticket. Actually Lake Almanor is hot boat friendly just not near the bouyes. I was roosting all weekend and no one said a word.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know what happens.
Dennis

Hallett19
09-07-2004, 09:09 AM
so you didnt get the ticket, right ???

dekmaster
09-07-2004, 10:33 AM
NO Ticket!

Hallett19
09-07-2004, 08:38 PM
SWEET, way to stick it to the man!!!! :wink:

1978 Rogers
09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I hit a one of those orange construction barrels on the highway. It was in the middle of the lane and I could change lanes. We had to pull over to pull it out from under my Montero. I called the 911 to report what happened and asked who is responsible. They transferred me throught to Washington State Highway Dept. It bent my skid plate and a small piece of the grill. They mailed me some paper work describing the incident. It was all taken care of with no questions asked.
I wouldn't worry about them paying. But don't wait around. Start calling the sheriff's dept to find out about filing a claim and get the ball rolling. Good luck.