PDA

View Full Version : 460 harmonic balancer questions....

FHI-prez
09-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, I'm trying to get my bottom end together so I can take it to the machinist to have the rotating assembly balanced. I've searched and searched and I'm having a hell of a time finding the right balancer for my application.
It's a '79 460 (externally balanced crank). I've found one that specifically states that it needs the balancing weight on the crank behind the balancer(Powerforce plus balancer). Well the guy I talked to that was selling it even said these were problematic and they've had issues with the rivets coming loose. He suggested a remec (I think) balancer but didn't know which one to suggest for my application. I've also found out that this balancer is spec'd for about 6k-10k rpm range. I thought I found something in this unit until I looked further.
Can anyone suggest a place to look or someone to talk to about a street performance balancer. I'm sure I could find a balancer that would work for me in the $400 range but I'm looking for something a bit more reasonable. My old one is original and the outer ring has moved so the timing marks are waaaayyy off. It would be pretty dumb to bring it to my machinist to have the rotating assembly balanced.
Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there is a reasonably priced balancer that I can get, but I'll be hanged if I can find it!
Thanks guys,
Nick

09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Have the crank zero balanced, then you can use any early 460 balancer.

RD Express
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I would think the all the 460 balancer are the same, since the counter weight is attached to the spacer?

roostwear
09-07-2004, 05:30 PM
There are 2 styles of spacers..... smooth (early), and counterweighted (late). Mix them up and you'll know real quick.

RD Express
09-08-2004, 03:53 AM
That still means the balancers are the same?

roostwear
09-08-2004, 05:00 AM
I'll have to check it out. I seem to remember a 3 bolt and 4 bolt balancer. LO might have more info.

LakesOnly
09-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Well, I'm trying to get my...rotating assembly balanced. I'm having a hell of a time finding the right balancer for my application.
It's a '79 460 (externally balanced crank). I've found one that specifically states that it needs the balancing weight on the crank behind the balancer(Powerforce plus balancer).
(The machinist) suggested a remec (I think) balancer but didn't know which one to suggest for my application.
Can anyone suggest a place to look or someone to talk to about a street performance balancer. I'm sure I could find a balancer that would work for me in the $400 range but...
Nick
If you have a 1979 engine and rotating assembly, then--as 058 said--you can have the crankshaft internally balanced. This will also require that all the components that bolt onto the snout of your 1979 crankshaft will need to come from 1978 or earlier (internally balanced) motor. No more externally swinging counterwieght, etc. DO NOT simply go and get an earlier, internally-balanced crankshaft because it will not fit into the 1979 block; your 1979 crank must be internally balanced.
The balancer suggested by the shop is a brand called "Romac." They are internally balanced. They are SFI approved to 12,000 rpm. They are about $250, can be less on Ebay. This will work but is probably overkill for a jet. A good stock one work fine to 6000 rpm, or perhaps you can find a non-sfi approved Romac balancer or another brand. Stay away from SCAT balancers.
Romac Balancer (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7920017711)
If you want to stay externally - balanced, the you will need to find a balancer for that application. Once again, ebay of even the dealer...who will have both the balancers and the swinging weight.
LO

Hemicbx
09-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Lakes,
DO NOT simply go and get an earlier, internally-balanced crankshaft because it will not fit into the 1979 block
Please give a little more detail. Is it a physical clearance issue? Counterweights, bearing journals? Would like to hear a little more.
Hemicbx

LakesOnly
09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Lakes,
Please give a little more detail. Is it a physical clearance issue? Counterweights, bearing journals? Would like to hear a little more.
Hemicbx
The 1979-up D9TE block was engineered to accomodate a long-skirt piston used in a commercial truck application, and the cylinders are .1875" deeper toward the rotating assembly. The early-style internally balanced crankshaft counterweights, as delivered by Ford, will not clear the D9TE cylinders.
Incidentally, the stroker kits I know of are all externally-balanced kits, so they should fit the D9TE block. But again, I would prefer spending a little extra money and internally balancing those kits.
LO

FHI-prez
09-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate the help. From what I understand from the Ford Racing tech guy I spoke to, I can use almost any balancer as long as I use my counter weight of course. There are different balancers but mostly the distance from the front of the balancer and the back of the balancer hub is longer or shorter. This will make very little difference in a jet boat because I'm only running an alternator belt and I can adjust the alternator accordingly to line up. As long as I get a 4 bolt config. on the pulley it should work fine according to him. In a car application that distance is much more important because you have other components being driven off the belts. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you posted on my results from what I get. BTW, Lakesonly is right on the money with the difference in the ext. and int. balanced engines. The guy from Flatlander racing said the exact same thing.
Thanks guys,
Nick