PDA

View Full Version : The Real Danger--Your Prop!

BajaMike
09-07-2004, 05:44 PM
With all the recent publicity and the possible new law regarding teak surfing and the dangers of carbon monoxide in the back of boats, it seems a lot of boaters arenÂ’t aware of the extreme danger of the propeller, which injures and kills far more people every year then the rare death from carbon monoxide.
A couple examplesÂ….
While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!??
I’m sure dad would say…”well, I had it in neutral”. So he bumps the shift lever and kills his wife or cuts off his daughter’s leg?
Later that day, while sitting in the channel, there are about 6 people on an open bow, inboard wakeboard boat. They decide to go to the other side of the channel. There is one guy standing on the big teak swim step, and two girls sitting on the step with their legs in the water. Without even looking behind the boat, the driver starts the engine, asks a guy in the open bow to push him off, and he starts backing out. The guy at the front then hangs onto the front of the boat, with half is body in the water, as the driver turns around and idles across the channel. If the guy looses his grip, heÂ’s hamburger!
My rule: Never start your engine or run your engine if anyone is in the water at the rear of your boat (or standing on the swim step or sitting on the swim step, or obviously, dangling from the boat in any way).
Also, before I start my boat, I always check the water behind the boat and warn swimmers that I am about to back out, and make sure they move away.
Does anyone disagree?
:argue:

ahhell
09-07-2004, 05:47 PM
i follow those same rules....and i got a jet, just would hate to blast my sons nuts off

Boatcop
09-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Does anyone disagree?
You won't get any argument from me.
I've seen the result of prop vs. flesh too many times.
The prop always wins.

F26
09-07-2004, 06:42 PM
they seem to win even when they arent spinning....damn cleavers :eek:

OGShocker
09-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Kilrtoy and Scream are noticeably absent from this thread..... :idea:

Kim Hanson
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Its not the prop, it the ******** behind the wheel that would do that crap..........( . )( . ).........I have 3 girls, no damage to anyone some far! :cool:

BarryMac
09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm with Ahhell, i've got a jet and I am always the last one in the boat, that way no one gets hurt but me...
gjb

Kilrtoy
09-07-2004, 07:06 PM
While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!?
I cant believe someone is THAT STUPID. Pleae post a pic of this boat if you took one...
DUMB ASS
Im hear and a prop that is not in motion REALLY HURTS

JetBoatRich
09-07-2004, 07:08 PM
:cool: darn prop boats you have to watch out for them :rolleyes:
you can get hurt with any boat, how about when the nut behind the wheel thinks it would be funny to turn up some water with the jet and sucks up the crap on the bottom and shoots his FRIENDS/FAMILY with it :yuk:

Dr. Eagle
09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
My rule: Never start your engine or run your engine if anyone is in the water at the rear of your boat (or standing on the swim step or sitting on the swim step, or obviously, dangling from the boat in any way).
Also, before I start my boat, I always check the water behind the boat and warn swimmers that I am about to back out, and make sure they move away.
Does anyone disagree?
No disagreement. Good rule!
My rule, always remember where your outdrive(s) are when jumping in the water. My little "scrape" cost me a year off of work, my job and ultimately I had to sell the boat. Now I have a little 21 footer, and I jump off the side...

BajaMike
09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!?
I cant believe someone is THAT STUPID. Pleae post a pic of this boat if you took one...
DUMB ASS
Sorry, I didn't get a pic.
:idea:

BajaMike
09-07-2004, 07:51 PM
By the way....I didn't mean to say the boat was a 25' Shockwave....I meant to say it was about a 25' mid-cabin boat, that looked like a Shockwave...I'm not sure of the brand (I don't want to dis any Shockwave owners).
:hammerhea
:eat:
:lightsabe

Kilrtoy
09-07-2004, 07:53 PM
If its a SHOCKWAVE, so be it, HE IS STILL A MORON....

BajaMike
09-07-2004, 08:15 PM
If its a SHOCKWAVE, so be it, HE IS STILL A MORON....
Well, ya...that's true!
:D

wsuwrhr
09-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I hate to be insensitive but I always thought Darwins theory worked the best.
Brian

voodoomedman
09-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Agreed. Everyone in my boat before I start the engine. When we are anchored I always make sure the wheel is straight too so that the prop is as far away from the swim steps as possible. And I warn someone every time they are near the back of my boat to watch out for the prop.

RiverToysJas
09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I was trying to get in the boat one time and the prop hit my arm while it was running, here's what happened.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1271DSC01452-med.JPG
I was fine though!!!!
:devil:
RTJas :p

100mbs
09-07-2004, 11:01 PM
I totally agree with BajaMike. I had a close call with a prop that scared the crap out of me. To this day i still get the chills thinking about it. I Never start the boat unless everyone is in the boat completely.

jbtrailerjim
09-08-2004, 05:20 AM
I totaly agree with you. I follow this same rule in my boat. I always walk to the back of my boat before I start it to make sure everything is clear and when parked in the channel I always warn people next to me in the water to watch out because I'm going to starting the boat and pulling out.

BajaMike
09-08-2004, 10:41 AM
I was trying to get in the boat one time and the prop hit my arm while it was running, here's what happened.....
I was fine though!!!!
You are joking, right? You were climbing in boat with the motor running?? And it messed up the prop but not you?
:confused:

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-08-2004, 10:44 AM
You are joking, right? You were climbing in boat with the motor running?? And it messed up the prop but not you?
Mike....yes, Jason is kidding.....Stay off the lake for a few days won't ya....lol
By the way....You are still in concerning that room OP6 weekend, right?

phuggit
09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I don't know if it's that I never paid attention before, but I've seen some unbelievable shit at the river this year.
1. peeps letting their kids ride on the bow of their pontoon while the kids dangle their feet over the front. The pontoon was doing 25-30, leaving no room to stop if one of the kids went over the bow.
2. I saw two ski-type boats at the sand bar (both the same day) motoring around with peeps draging behind while holding onto the swim steps.
3. Two weekends ago three women sitting on the bow of an older Cambell style boat with their feet hanging over the front of the bow. They were north bound from Havasu right at the first narrow spot where all the traffic gets choked up. They hit a wake and all three popped a couple feet into the air. I don't know how they managed it, but all three landed back on the bow deck and held on.
I just got a new insurance policy for our boat. I was asked if I used my boat at the Colorado River and what percentage of time I boated there. If the above mentioned crap continues we'll all see much higher insurance rates and/or exclusions from boating at the river.

BajaMike
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Mike....yes, Jason is kidding.....Stay off the lake for a few days won't ya....lol
By the way....You are still in concerning that room OP6 weekend, right?
Ok...i get it.....must be the heat down here in Dana Point.
Ya, I'm still on for the room for OP6....thanks, Tom.
:cry:

572Daytona
09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
The ironic thing is that I have jet with a normally aspirated motor and had one hell of a time getting insurance on it at all. If I had a bass boat that went as fast as my jet I would have no problem getting insurance even though my hull is much more stable than any bass boat and no prop to get cut on. Go figure.

MsDrmr
09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
props can be dangerous and are dangerous, but what isin't? My dad has a prop and turns it always to one side when not running so that the kids can jump off. A couple years ago when up a Big Bear I was getting back in the boat and swung my leg over to get motion and rammed my big toe into one of the props, split that bad boy open and bled for a looooooong time.

HCS
09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Damn. People are stupid. :hammerhea
The world would be a different place if people were smart. Could you imagine! :idea:

fourspeednup
09-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Y'know, I think "thatjeffguy" on here sells padded prop covers. Met shadow last weekend at the upper sandbar in Parker and he had one on his Ultra. Just be sure to remove it before firing up the boat at the end of the day :rollside:
I've been lucky, but it's easy to slip off a wet swimstep especially after a few beverages.....and the prop is a friggen magnet for feet, arms, face, etc...

RiverToysJas
09-08-2004, 12:38 PM
You were climbing in boat with the motor running?? And it messed up the prop but not you?
Yeah, that's right! Only try it if you have arms of steel.....like me!!! ;) LOL
RTJas :D

Scream
09-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I was fine though!!!!
you aint right Jason...
:D
When I first read the title of this thread I knew my name would come up...LOL
Props are dangerous. However I've found out that if you get them labbed, they may look sharper, but they're actually not as dangerous as the factory edge. I still don't have all the feeling in my ankle, and the scar itches like a mo fo from time to time, but it could have been a lot worse.
And yes, BajaMike, you're right to be concerned. Some people need a wake up call...
Scream <--wounded but not down for the count.

NastyOne
09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
While in Steamboat on Sunday my buddie pushed another friend off the back of the boat. We were tied up and the motor wasnt running but his foot hit the prop. It cut his foot open like a hot knife through butter. Two hours in the emergancy room and 9 stiches = not a good time.

rivercrazy
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I think most accidents are created by people and not the equipment they use. I've been hurt worse by a jet than a stern drive. One time I kicked the jet on my former boat swimming around the boat to move it around at the beach and got pressure cut to the bone that time. Took a long time to heal.
I just make it a habit of trimming the outdrive all the way down whenever peeps are in the water swimming. Its pretty far down there when tucked.
I miss driving my jet at times but NOT the increase in efficiency or top speed my prop driven boat affords!

Todd969
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
You know all these are great examples of what not to do, but for those who have young kids ( me included ) I cannot stress the importance of them staying away from the back end when we are beached or moored. That skeg can be just as dangerous if wakes get the boat boucing. My 15yr old found out the hard way at Perris last summer. We were anchored about 30 ft off Besconi beach bow out to the lake in about 3ft of water. The kids were playing football and she got to close to the boat and wham, it came down on top of her foot. 20 something stitches later she now yells at her older and younger siblings when playing to close to the back end. Lesson learned the hard way.

HighRoller
09-08-2004, 03:20 PM
It's too bad the price of a new boat doesn't buy a little common sense to go with it. That way dumb people wouldn't be killing other people on the water like they have been this summer. :yuk:

BajaMike
09-08-2004, 08:44 PM
It's hard to believe how many have died/been injured on boats in the 40 miles between the Parker Strip and Lake Mojave during the last year.
We need to get the morans off the water!!!
:sqeyes:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-08-2004, 08:56 PM
DUMB ASS
I think you more then heard about it, you felt it, next time DUMB AZZ, LISTEN AND STAY AWAY FROM THE PROP
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_478.jpg

CBLavey
09-08-2004, 08:58 PM
With all the recent publicity and the possible new law regarding teak surfing and the dangers of carbon monoxide in the back of boats, it seems a lot of boaters arenÂ’t aware of the extreme danger of the propeller, which injures and kills far more people every year then the rare death from carbon monoxide.
A couple examplesÂ….
While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!??
I’m sure dad would say…”well, I had it in neutral”. So he bumps the shift lever and kills his wife or cuts off his daughter’s leg?
Later that day, while sitting in the channel, there are about 6 people on an open bow, inboard wakeboard boat. They decide to go to the other side of the channel. There is one guy standing on the big teak swim step, and two girls sitting on the step with their legs in the water. Without even looking behind the boat, the driver starts the engine, asks a guy in the open bow to push him off, and he starts backing out. The guy at the front then hangs onto the front of the boat, with half is body in the water, as the driver turns around and idles across the channel. If the guy looses his grip, heÂ’s hamburger!
Does anyone disagree?
This past July at Katherine's I watched a guy back down a 32' Sunsation with his wife standing on the swimstep! The plan, which did work, was to back down close enough to the dock for her to jump off.One little slip and he would not have had enough time to pull the engines out of gear. It just goes to show you once again that you don't need a brain to own a boat...

BajaMike
09-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Maybe he didn't like his wife....
:220v:

78Eliminator
09-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Got a cousin who is now missing one leg.
Drunk uncle (in law) driving boat, backed right in to her. Another reason not to touch booze when boating.

Tremor Therapy
09-09-2004, 11:05 AM
God, it is just so easy to eliminate these types of accidents. I don't even get into the drivers seat until everyone is in the boat seated, and I look down to insure the prop isn't going to hit anything, or that anything or anyone else is back there. It never takes more than 2-3 minutes to insure that everyone and everything is ready to go, and eliminate any possiblity of an accident!

BajaMike
09-09-2004, 07:09 PM
A guy I know in Havasu lost his leg in the channel last summer....his "buddy" started the engine and was backing out as he was about to climb on the back of the boat.
Scary stuff....good thing most of the members on this board know better...to bad all the morans cause all this death and distruction (how many died in the last 12 months between Parker and Laughlin?) and others pay the price!
:mad:

Debbolas
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
We have been boating for awhile now, and our kids grew up boating. They are TRAINED, before they jump off into the water to cool down, they always ask if the prop is off. (Easier just to turn the engine off) They are trained for the prop, like they are for seatbelts.
My neighbor would have had an episodmy from falling onto the prop from my engine cover. That Jeff Guy has great prop covers!!
Everyone Be Safe!!!

BajaMike
09-09-2004, 08:44 PM
We have been boating for awhile now, and our kids grew up boating. They are TRAINED, before they jump off into the water to cool down, they always ask if the prop is off. (Easier just to turn the engine off) They are trained for the prop, like they are for seatbelts.
My neighbor would have had an episodmy from falling onto the prop from my engine cover. That Jeff Guy has great prop covers!!
Everyone Be Safe!!!
An Episiotomy!!!! That's great....I love that medical stuff....you must be a nurse or doc. How many OB/GYN docs would think of a prop giving u an Episiotomy?

DryHeatOnly
09-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Does the prop spin with the motor running in neutral? :confused:

BajaMike
09-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Does the prop spin with the motor running in neutral? :confused:
Actually, on most out-drives, the prop does spin slowly when in neutral...but that really is not the point. You should NEVER....EVER.....FOR ANY REASON run the engine with anyone in the water near the back of the boat!

DryHeatOnly
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Actually, on most out-drives, the prop does spin slowly when in neutral...but that really is not the point. You should NEVER....EVER.....FOR ANY REASON run the engine with anyone in the water near the back of the boat!
Oh, I definetely agree.
I was in a situation earlier this summer that scared the crap out of me (I still think about it).
I was helping to push my friend's boat out from the sandbar. I was on the left rear side of the boat in waist-deep water pushing on the left side of the swim platform. It started drifting towards another anchored boat. My buddy jumped in his boat. I was expecting him to push off the other boat. Instead he started the engine, put it in gear, and pulled straight out. This happened in a split second. Miscommunication could have been tragic. :frown:
I later told him about it. He felt really bad. We both learned something.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Fix the problem.....................Buy a jet :D :D :D :D :D C
plus you get the bling factor................................ROOSTER!
J/k I know how sensative you "prop guys" are :D

BajaMike
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh, I definetely agree.
I was in a situation earlier this summer that scared the crap out of me (I still think about it).
I was helping to push my friend's boat out from the sandbar. I was on the left rear side of the boat in waist-deep water pushing on the left side of the swim platform. It started drifting towards another anchored boat. My buddy jumped in his boat. I was expecting him to push off the other boat. Instead he started the engine, put it in gear, and pulled straight out. This happened in a split second. Miscommunication could have been tragic. :frown:
I later told him about it. He felt really bad. We both learned something.
I know what u mean....i always worry about that when helping push guys out at the sandbar....like u say....miscommunication....could be deadly!!!
:mad:

BajaMike
09-10-2004, 08:34 PM
OK.....!!!! :cry: :rollside: :devil: :boxed:

Kachina26
09-11-2004, 07:07 AM
You got him on the hook, quick! Real him in!!!!!

HCS
09-11-2004, 07:12 AM
What's a prop? :hammerhea

Kachina26
09-11-2004, 07:14 AM
No disagreement. Good rule!
My rule, always remember where your outdrive(s) are when jumping in the water. My little "scrape" cost me a year off of work, my job and ultimately I had to sell the boat. Now I have a little 21 footer, and I jump off the side...
Doc? I'm not familiar with this story, what happened?

HCS
09-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Answer. Jet boat. :rolleyes:

BajaMike
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Answer....don't jump on the outdrive!!!
:220v:

nodigg
09-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Wait a minute, I got a prop AND a rooster, but it just slows the speed down when I do the rooster.

BajaMike
09-11-2004, 08:10 PM
That's true...Rick gets a pretty good rooster for a prop guy!!!
:)

j-rod
09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
no cuts, just blow them out of the water! :wink:

BajaMike
09-12-2004, 07:45 PM
no cuts, just blow them out of the water! :wink:
What???
:lightsabe