PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Direction & Oil Gallery Help!

12-30-2001, 10:45 PM
I have a 460 Ford engine with a soild roller cam. I put the engine together myself took it to a shop to have it dyno'd. The shop that did the dyno said I had all the lifters in backwards. They said this because when the engine was given gas it lost alot of oil presure. So they turned the lifters around and the presure was all right.
I had it in the water four times. On the fourth time I broke down. When I took it apart I found a brand new s/s valve broke and a piston and cylinder wall cracked.
We are guessing the valve stuck open from a lack of lubrication. We then started looking at the lifter's area and noticed that the hole in the lifters was on the opposite side of the oil gallery.
I was instructed from a Ford engine builder when they were installed on which way they should face. I have sinced talked to another engine builder and he said the holes must line up and use an oil gallery restrictor. This second opinion also suggested that we must use a restrictor because I have installed solid lifters. So know I have two different professional engine builder's opinions and don't who is correct.
Your input, personal experience and expertise would be greatly appreciated!

pgf127rt
12-31-2001, 05:57 AM
23, was your cam a solid lifter cam, or as you say a roller cam with solid lifters?
Isn't it possible that you had the lifters installed right the first time and it lost pressure due to distribution of unrestricted oil flowing thru the oil galleys, on a hi-po ford there are restrictions that must be in place to maintain oil pressure at max rpm, a person you might consult with on these restrictions is Joe Shelfo, his board nome on Drag Boat Forums is Freaky, and he is very knowledgeable about fast fords, and their problems, as he won the IHBA 8 sec. class championship running bad blue ovals.

12-31-2001, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry it's a soild roller cam.

Tinkerboater
12-31-2001, 10:43 PM
Usually they use oil restrictors on the oil galleries when you use roller rockers. With roller rockers you don't need as much oil being pumped up into the heads-this gives you more oiling for the mains. The cam and lifters get oiled mostly from oil splashed off the crank.

Clutch
01-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Hey Tinker
Ever heard of restrictors being bad for the valve springs due to lack of cooling buy there not being as much oil to cool them?

FoMoCo
01-02-2002, 01:14 PM
I also have a BBF 429 w/a Solid Roller cam..
I installing the lifters with the link bar twards the center. Never had a problem, but I was told not to use restictors by 2 engine shops because if I did any serious idling( 5pmh zones) I could have lack of lubercation to the cam and valve train and damage them.
I used Comp Cams roller lifters and cam!

Tinkerboater
01-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Never heard of that before. I also didn't say I used them all I said was the reason some builders use them. I DON'T.
[This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited January 03, 2002).]