PDA

View Full Version : Laether Car seat repair???

RiverToysJas
09-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Is there a good place to take my Tahoe to have the leather seats repaired? I have a couple of tears and cracks I'd like to have taken care of.
I guess in an extreme case I can go to the Chevy dealer, but there's got to be shops that'll do good work at a resonable price. Any ideas???
RTJas :D

syke-o
09-09-2004, 11:19 AM
you can get real good prices down in Tijuana.... :D

nodigg
09-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Just curious Jason, how many miles do you have, (for the cracks to show up?)

RiverToysJas
09-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Just curious Jason, how many miles do you have, (for the cracks to show up?)
My truck was 6 years old in May of this year and has just over 90,000.
The cracks really just started showing up and getting worse this year. I have not taken care of the leather like I should have though. We never used towles when getting the boat out, so they get wet and dry out in the heat. The worst crack was from where a friend of mine scuffed the seat with his boot. That happened the first year the truck was new, but just broke into a full blown tare in the last 6 months.
We have new SUV with leather, and just recently got leather couches, so I'm doing my homework on leather care.....6 years too late!!! ;)

nodigg
09-09-2004, 11:40 AM
My truck was 6 years old in May of this year and has just over 90,000.
The cracks really just started showing up and getting worse this year. I have not taken care of the leather like I should have though. We never used towles when getting the boat out, so they get wet and dry out in the heat. The worst crack was from where a friend of mine scuffed the seat with his boot. That happened the first year the truck was new, but just broke into a full blown tare in the last 6 months.
We have new SUV with leather, and just recently got leather couches, so I'm doing my homework on leather care.....6 years too late!!! ;)
Just as a plug for your Tahoe, my '98 has 210,000 miles on it now and still runs well and the only engine repair so far was a maifold gasket that blew at 190,000 miles due to blowing a radiator hose I should have replaced long before! :mad:
I LOVE the smell of leather seats but have always went with the less popular cloth due to being in the dessert heat SO much and for the abuse factor of family, work and friends. Sounds like they lasted pretty well if as you say you did not care well for them though.
I am interested to see how this thread goes as far as repair options. Just about ready for a new truck and may yet opt for leather?????

572Daytona
09-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I've got a 96 Suburban with over 150K on it and no cracks as of yet. I tend to buy a new vehicle about every 10 years and I have noticed that the quality of the leather has declined everytime. My 1976 Coupe De'Ville had fantastic leather in it and I just recently looked at the new Suburbans and the leather was even lesser quality than what was in my 96. I guess they figure people don't keep cars that long anymore so most don't care.

TRIMM MANN
09-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I work on Tahoe's everyday, from brand new to very old. I am in the San Fernando Valley. If that's to far for you I can always give you some advice.
PM me if you would like.
The name of my shop is
Martin's Auto Upholstery
Tel#818-346-0882

RiverToysJas
09-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I work on Tahoe's everyday, from brand new to very old. I am in the San Fernando Valley. If that's to far for you I can always give you some advice.
PM me if you would like.
The name of my shop is
Martin's Auto Upholstery
Tel#818-346-0882
Cool thanks, when I get a chance, I'll PM you some photos of what I need done.