PDA

View Full Version : Kachina problems

H20 Toie
09-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm looking for a new boat Kachina/Shockwave/Howard. I'm wondering how do Kachina boats hold up after a couple of years, Most of the time i will be a Castaic or the river but i would like to go to Catalina once in a while and do some diving. Also how much hassle is it to keep a blown motor running?

RiverOtter
09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm looking for a new boat Kachina/Shockwave/Howard. I'm wondering how do Kachina boats hold up after a couple of years, Most of the time i will be a Castaic or the river but i would like to go to Catalina once in a while and do some diving. Also how much hassle is it to keep a blown motor running?
I check in to a Kachina a couple of years ago. The guy asked me if I would be boating in rough water? I said not really buy why. He said he could lay them up heavier to handle it. Never been asked that before. Blower Motor???? I don't know nothin bout blower motors or birthing babies.

NOTALENT
09-09-2004, 01:35 PM
talk to kachinaken...he will have some answers for you..he does the catalina as well. :D welcome to the forums

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Don't know about the Kachina but there are some owners that post here on the board.
I own a Shockwave 25 Tremor and have been very happy with it. The SW hull will hold up and is faster than the Kachina hulls.
Howard is in another class. Price wise as well as in my opinion durability. I may be wrong on this but for sure they cost a lot more.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Given those three, if you can afford it, go with the Howard, way out-classes the other two.

dicudmore
09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
You could not go wrong with any of those 3. All build excellent boats.
Good luck to you :D

Scream
09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
We love our Kachina, best boat for the amount of $$ I spent IMO. Howard is legendary for thier quality and there are tons of happy shockwave owners on this forum.
We chose Kachina over all of the SO Cal manufacturers because of information we gleaned from friends that had just completed a boat shopping and purchasing marathon. Louie and Missie Majors at Kachina held our hand through the entire project, called us to update us weekly, emailed me pics every time I asked for them. Our sales girl, Shannon, and all of the guys in the shop treated us like royalty, either in person or on the phone. I've had no problems with my boat that I didn't create.
Besides, they're over the top with thier graphics ability. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1271test-med.jpg

phebus
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
I've had no problems with my boat that I didn't create.
I'm sorry, I just love that statement :D

KACHINA KEN
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
They are great boats, don't know about the custom layup though, mine is a stock Shadow 30' layup from what i know and it handles lake Pacific just fine. If you can float the extra 30 g's go for the 34' though.

Troubles No More
09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
There are a lot of Shockwave and Kachina boat owners on this forum and are very happy with their choice.
But if I had to do it over again I would buy from Howard for a second time. I have known Gene and Mike for the past 2 years. Howard was recommended to me from a friend who had purchased a 22 offshore boat. Howard was one of the best boat companies that I have ever dealt with from the point of quality, construction and the ability to deal with a boat manufacturer on modifications and scheduling. They maintained close communication with us on the production schedule (14 weeks) and always kept us apprised on any changes. Howards work force and graphics people always carried out their duties both competently and enthusiastically and always provided us with answers to our questions (I had a lot of questions). It’s would be a plus to have the builder of your boat next to your home.
You can read in any boating magazine about the exceptional quality, the quality finished work and outstanding performance.….my.02

Debbolas
09-09-2004, 03:22 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg I LOVE MY BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
It is so cool, ask Louie about a boat show special, if you don't mind waiting until February to take possession. We really got a lot of extras (DVD player, upgraded stereo, pop up night light, bow/cabin covers) No one gets inside your boat at the show, they just walk around it and drool.
If we had it to do again. I would get the blue motor, haleon (fire control system), and trailer guides.
They are the best company, IMO :D
oh, and welcome to the board!!

little rowe boat
09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
If you want to find out more about Howards,go to the Hot Boats forum and go to the thread,GT's new Howard.Many of the people that post on that thread own a Howard or Know alot about HCB's.
Know one builds a more solid boat.

H20 Toie
09-09-2004, 03:46 PM
For once i'm not in a hurry but want something before next summer. It seems like boats lose a lot of value in the first 2 years. So i may get a 02 or 03 there was a 2003 kachina with a 800 hp teague motor in the paper that said when it was new $130k and he wants $84k but that is still more than book for it. I'll call Kachina tommorrow and talk to them, I tried last friday but they must have takin off for the weekend. My current boat is a 1990 so probably any boat i get won't be worth much when i finally get rid of it. I am amased at how much the cost of boats has gone up since 1990.
Does anyone have words of wisdom on motors and drives to watch out for or look for?

Gerard
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Have you considered Laveycraft? They build a great boat and are excellent to their customers. They are the ONLY West Coast builder that I know of that vacuum bags their hulls. DCB says they do, but I heard otherwise from one of DCB's employees. (take that for what it's worth)
I have 2 friends that bought Lavey's over the past few years and they were absolutely happy. I bought a 27' Ultimate Warlock at the same time my buddy bought the Lavey and it was NO comparison, Lavey was superior in customer service. I always caught some chit from my buddy about the lack of Warlock's service. The Warlock was a great boat, just the manufacturer sucked a$$ when you needed anything.

H20 Toie
09-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I haven't decided on any boat as yet except it will not be a Commander
As i have noticed i am not the only one that is unhappy with them.

H20 Toie
09-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Is Warlock still in business, i have a friend that has one and loves it but there website does not work.
I made the mistake with my Commander it looked good and they have been in business for years so how bad could it be, I take pretty good care of my toys and don't abuse them. The tanks coming loose and filling the boat with fuel was bad enough. But they knew of the problem and didn't inform me . What made it worse for me was that my 1 year old was in the boat at the time and I know any boat can have problems but when there is a saftey issue it should be taken care of. I ended up taking it to a boat shop in Sunland and he fixed both tanks and replaced the interior carpet for less than half the cost of Commander.

XtrmWakeborder
09-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Besides, they're over the top with thier graphics ability. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1271test-med.jpg
Thats an understatement i saw 3 Sweet ass paint "or gel i dont know" jobs on kachinas labor day at the zoo. one with a bunch of skulls...one with a white tiger face and then stripes coming off, and one with an american flag theme with i think a plane...sweet ass boats for sure...wish i woulda had my camera

Gerard
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Is Warlock still in business, i have a friend that has one and loves it but there website does not work.
When I bought my new 27' (1997) the company was called Ultimate Warlock. It was then owned by Carter Reed and Sam Beller. Carter was (STILL IS) a crook. He ripped me off with a motor that was not new, I found out later it had some hours on it!!!

Debbolas
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Here is a link for the Kachina Web Site :) :cool:
http://www.kachinaboats.com/

Goodtime$
09-09-2004, 04:32 PM
The Kachina with Canopies looks sweet, i am not sure of the model name, sorry guys..
howard, kachina, shockwave are all great boats, take a look at the Ultras too, you wont find a more perfect gelcoat and great people to work with.
laveys too, howards wow..great boats, you get what you payed for for sure with those too. my last boat was an eliminator..ehh there nice but for the money, ULTRA, shockwave and Kachina are hard to beat

Goodtime$
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
the Kachina DRONE is the model, saw a couple last weekend in Havi and fell in love. Great looking boat, hauls ass
Ultra 28 Shadow V is nice too, big room inside out...best of luck, keep us posted

voodoomedman
09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
the Kachina DRONE is the model, saw a couple last weekend in Havi and fell in love. Great looking boat, hauls ass
Ultra 28 Shadow V is nice too, big room inside out...best of luck, keep us posted
Ultra's are bad a$$ but the V is the 28 Stealth. The cat is a 27 Shadow. :)

XtrmWakeborder
09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
here are 2 of the 3 i saw http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1815kachina_2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1815kachina.jpg

FRENCHIE
09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Whats a SHOCKWAVE!!??? :confused: :D :D

charlyox
09-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I checked out their web site. they look pretty sweet

FRENCHIE
09-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I checked out their web site. they look pretty sweet
if ya get real serious....drop me a line/p.m....ill arrange for a Ride for ya...no probs!! :wink:

NORDIC_RIG
09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
good choice there T & B

SoCalOffshore
09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
The Howard and Shockwave are more currently designed hulls and as such are faster than the Kachinas. If your going into the Pacirfic, larger is better and the Howard is quite small for a 28 footer. The Lavey is a good boat, but not the only vacuumed bagged boat as my Schiada is fully vaccum bagged and reinforced with carbon fiber. Hallets are nice for ocean running as well.

redneckgirl
09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
One happy Shockwave owner here!!!! Even though we have the baby boat... we love it... and know many Shockwave owners with 25-29 that love their boats!!!! Just ask Frenchie, SWTom, Deman38 and several others... :D :D
It is ok Frechie don't be shy !!!! :jawdrop: :D :D
RNG

FRENCHIE
09-09-2004, 07:28 PM
One happy Shockwave owner here!!!! Even though we have the baby boat... we love it... and know many Shockwave owners with 25-29 that love their boats!!!! Just ask Frenchie, SWTom, Deman38 and several others... :D :D
It is ok Frechie don't be shy !!!! :jawdrop: :D :D
RNG
im always available!! ;)

rivercrazy
09-09-2004, 07:43 PM
One very satisfied 25 Shockwave owner checking in here. Great customer service, rigging, layup, materials, gelcoat, and performance.
Its just boils down to your priorities. If you compare overall size, length, freeboard, etc, you will find the 25 and 29 Shockwave are significantly bigger than the Howard 25 or 28. Not sure about the performance of the 28 Howard but I've heard good reviews. Between the 25 Shockwave and 25 Howard, performance is pretty similar. HB rated the Howard at about 73 with a 496HO and a labbed prop. I've GPS'd my 25 Shockwave in the 72-73 Mph range with a labbed 24P Bravo. The 25 Shockwave also turns like a traditional V bottom despite being a step bottom
Good luck with your decision. And have FUN!

H20 Toie
09-09-2004, 08:02 PM
The only thing i didn't like about the Howard 28 was the size that was why i started checking into 30' boats,
I guess i'll have to wait for the boat show to check everything out. There is a new Schiada in the paper but at $250k it's not for me, I would like to stay under $100k
Customer service is worth alot to me.
Is there any engine package that is better?

Kachina26
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm not as fast as the shockwaves, but I love the room I have down below, complete with a bed and a built in spot for the ice chest. I have a sink, but have not had much call for it. I love the boat and customer service has been top notch. I've been in Frenchies Shockwave and it appears to be a very nice boat, however, I would like to see a place for the ice chest and a little more room in the cuddy. But dang that thang is fast! Gotta give em that. If you want a ride, I've got a couple more river trips before I'm done. And I'm sure if you see any Kachina owner out there at the river, they will give you the grand tour.

Debbolas
09-09-2004, 08:22 PM
think NORDIC HEAT :cool:
Do you know of one for sale?
LOL :eek: :wink:

rivercrazy
09-09-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm not as fast as the shockwaves, but I love the room I have down below, complete with a bed and a built in spot for the ice chest. I have a sink, but have not had much call for it. I love the boat and customer service has been top notch. I've been in Frenchies Shockwave and it appears to be a very nice boat, however, I would like to see a place for the ice chest and a little more room in the cuddy. But dang that thang is fast! Gotta give em that. If you want a ride, I've got a couple more river trips before I'm done. And I'm sure if you see any Kachina owner out there at the river, they will give you the grand tour.
I have a closed bow Tremor and it has a huge bed area. And a nice size cuddy. I opted for a more basic cabin but Shockwave will pretty much build it however you want.....

DryHeatOnly
09-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Frenchie's is a 25 (a true 25). The 29' Shockwave has plenty o' room down under ;)

Roxysnow
09-09-2004, 09:23 PM
here are 2 of the 3 i saw http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1815kachina_2.jpg
I think the skulls boat is for sale. We seen it last week over labor day!

Jordy
09-09-2004, 09:34 PM
If I was making the decision, I'd look really hard at the Shockwave or the Howard in the 25' range. Bigger than that, I'd go Shockwave. If I wanted an '86 Sleekcraft, I'd buy one. Just my opinion. :D

Garrddogg
09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I love my kachina, may not be as fast as a shockwave,but Its got plenty of room,plenty of features and the graphics are without question the best in the industry! the customer service is awsome as Louie and Missy are a couple of fine Peeps.. :smile:

KACHINA KEN
09-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Shockwaves faster huh??? OK bring your 30' Shockwave with a 496 HO and lets see, we'll add a slalom in for fun and i'll clean your clock. Huh whats that? they don't have a 30'??? Well I guess your statement doesn't really make that much sense then does it?
ANd Force is right, short of TAOD (if your a true powerboat afficiando you know what it stands for) Kachina has the rockinist paint out there. Mind you I said paint, there are some much better gel folks out there.

FRENCHIE
09-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Shockwaves faster huh??? OK bring your 30' Shockwave with a 496 HO and lets see, we'll add a slalom in for fun and i'll clean your clock. Huh whats that? they don't have a 30'??? Well I guess your statement doesn't really make that much sense then does it?
ANd Force is right, short of TAOD (if your a true powerboat afficiando you know what it stands for) Kachina has the rockinist paint out there. Mind you I said paint, there are some much better gel folks out there.
oh here we go ....im gettin the popcorn....cuz if i dont sit back and watch ....im gonna rip someone a new a$$hole!!! Randy melllow this man out!!! :rolleyes: :yuk:

Kachina26
09-10-2004, 05:01 AM
Frenchie's is a 25 (a true 25). The 29' Shockwave has plenty o' room down under ;)
I'm a true 26' (no built in swim)
As far as mellowing out Kachina Ken goes Frenchie, I don't know the man well enough. Plus I don't know how the 30' hull performs, but if it's like the 26' Ken, then it's just not the most efficient out there. But I do love it.
Besides, I think the original question was about problems with Kachinas. Which I can answer about the same as Scream. None that I didn't create myself.
Kachina<--------------ain't knocking the SW's------------->26

eKolbe
09-10-2004, 05:45 AM
You may want to look at the Hallett 270 also for what you are trying to do. There's quite a few in the trader if you are looking to save some coin.

Gerard
09-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Ken,
you should relax, he wasn't personally attacking you, just stating his opinion.

Havasu Cig
09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Slalom in a 30 footer??? Why not just do a Catalina run in mid afternoon and see who gets there first. A much better measure of a V in that size range imo. :cool:

Slick
09-10-2004, 08:07 AM
I've seen some BRE (Beck's Racing Engines) in a few of their boats. Stay away from them. They're bad JuJu.

Jordy
09-10-2004, 08:09 AM
I thought BRE stood for Broken Rusty Engines. Or as of late Bankrupt Racing Engines. ;)
From what I hear Frank is building engines in his backyard over in the avenues these days and hiding out from creditors.

Sane Asylum
09-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Slalom in a 30 footer??? Why not just do a Catalina run in mid afternoon and see who gets there first. A much better measure of a V in that size range imo. :cool:
:D :D :D I say we have a my boat is faster than yours, official thread......then we can invite reggie fountain and the fiore dude with the outer limits and all get the holy chit kiked out of our asses......
I do like the catalina idea and since Kachina Ken is no longer a salty virgin I'm sure he'd step up....
Or.............We could just enjoy the boat without the fast chit talk and plan damn run IV :D

Racer277
09-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Wow, Every Kachina I have seen until now was absolutely beautiful and original. Then these two come along. They each look suspiciously like a couple of other Kachina's that I covet. I had thought that Kachina kept their boats more original than this.
They are beautiful none the less.

Jordy
09-10-2004, 08:27 AM
The only thing that interests me in Louie's yard is the big 40+' Baja on a gooseneck trailer. Dwarfs everything else around it. ;)

Sane Asylum
09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
The only thing that interests me in Louie's yard is the big 40+' Baja on a gooseneck trailer. Dwarfs everything else around it. ;)
JP.....You ain't wrong.....That focker is huge....The wife and I toured it.....It's bigger than my first apartment.....It's kinda torn up on the inside......rode hard... :(

Jordy
09-10-2004, 08:38 AM
JP.....You ain't wrong.....That focker is huge....The wife and I toured it.....It's bigger than my first apartment.....It's kinda torn up on the inside......rode hard... :(
I go by there from time to time when I have to run down to one of the electrical supply houses on Washington. I've only seen it from the road, but just the fact that it's on a gooseneck trailer adds to the bling of it. :smile:

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm a true 26' (no built in swim)
Besides, I think the original question was about problems with Kachinas. Which I can answer about the same as Scream. None that I didn't create myself.
Kachina<--------------ain't knocking the SW's------------->26
i have no problems with my Kachina , it's the Merc power that blows.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:01 AM
It's a 38 Special and if you like chine walking and a generally sloppy ride it's the boat for you.

Gerard
09-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I agree. A V-bottom in that size should be able to run out in the ocean. I realize most people here only use their boats on the rivers and lakes (that's fine) The true test of a V-bottom in the 28+ size range is how well can it handle different water(s) lake water,sloppy lake water, 2'-6' rollers, etc......

Jordy
09-10-2004, 09:10 AM
It's a 38 Special and if you like chime walking and a generally sloppy ride it's the boat for you.
I'm more interested in the trailer as it's something you don't see everyday. Something that big with a gooseneck would be pretty sweet to to and manuever in and out of tight areas.
That thing must have some serious power in it to have a chine walk problem. That's a big heavy boat. Seems that if anything it would ride really wet.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
oh here we go ....im gettin the popcorn....cuz if i dont sit back and watch ....im gonna rip someone a new a$$hole!!! Randy melllow this man out!!! :rolleyes: :yuk: Uh, yeah Frenchie.... Rip away dude, I'm not the one thats making baseless comments and pulling conjecture out of the air to sway someone to another boat line. Heres the deal, the reason that the 30's are an older hull and quote 'not as efficient" is because it's a true Sleek hull from the mold and not a splash, this is a proven time and again hull (see if it aint broke don't fix it).
Louie bought these when Sleek was in bancruptcy in the mid 90's and started making 30' "Enforcers" later after they re-tooled and added an in-mold windshield the name changed to a Shadow 30.
These boats are wayyyyyy badass for the $$$ and the power to size ratio is amazing, thats how they can put a lil shit box 496 ho in it and get 64 out of it @ 5100 rpm that is an efficient hull no matter what anyone thinks. It isn't a Kachina is better or Shockwave is better kinda contest cuz to be honest these aren't top of the line boats, they are great boats mind you but they are entry level powerboats for folks like you and me who don't need a Cigarette or a Fountain just yet.
And as far as a head to head size wise, correct me if i'm wrong but all of the Magnitudes are dual engine yes, no? But I'll race anyone with equal power no problem. Kachinas rule.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:34 AM
I agree. A V-bottom in that size should be able to run out in the ocean. I realize most people here only use their boats on the rivers and lakes (that's fine) The true test of a V-bottom in the 28+ size range is how well can it handle different water(s) lake water,sloppy lake water, 2'-6' rollers, etc......
I know what you mean but I gotta tell you, actually I would love to show you what I'm talking about. Without letting off the juice at all and tapping the drive in just a slight bit I can carve in this thing like you wouldn't believe.
Coming home from Catalina to Newport at noon it was handling like a champ, it was the outbound trip that sucked because I didn't get out there until about 3 and there were 4-5' s by then and it was a lil nasty by then.

PHX ATC
09-10-2004, 09:36 AM
lil shit box 496 ho in it
Hey, now you're knocking me. J/K, I don't care! :D
and get 64 out of it @ 5100 rpm that is an efficient hull no matter what anyone thinks.
64! That's it? Efficient? Just busting you chops. :D
these aren't top of the line boats
Are too, nanny nanny boo boo.
And as far as a head to head size wise, correct me if i'm wrong but all of the Magnitudes are dual engine yes, no?
No, not all Mag Shockwaves are twins, actually most are singles, either 496HO or the big blue motors. I think one has twin HP500s on it.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm more interested in the trailer as it's something you don't see everyday. Something that big with a gooseneck would be pretty sweet to to and manuever in and out of tight areas.
That thing must have some serious power in it to have a chine walk problem. That's a big heavy boat. Seems that if anything it would ride really wet.
Yeah it would, I gotta take a step off of my trailer because on tight left turns it digs into my bumper on my new truck.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah it would, I gotta take a step off of my trailer because on tight left turns it digs into my bumper on my new truck.
its a slight chine, but the boat is so tall that the feeling is exaggeratted from the cockpit. A guy we call kid rock has one at the Zoo I think he got it for like $65K it was a much older one.

Jordy
09-10-2004, 09:41 AM
its a slight chime, but the boat is so tall that the feeling is exaggeratted from the cockpit. A guy we call kid rock has one at the Zoo I think he got it for like $65K it was a much older one.
That thing looks like a guppy. I can't believe it's only 38'. It looks so much bigger. But then again, when it's surrounded by 26's and smaller for the most part, I guess it's a perception thing. I just want the trailer, although it might be overkill for the boats that are currently in my stable. I could almost put both of them on that one trailer. :D

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey, now you're knocking me. J/K, I don't care! :D
64! That's it? Efficient? Just busting you chops. :D
Are too, nanny nanny boo boo.
No, not all Mag Shockwaves are twins, actually most are singles, either 496HO or the big blue motors. I think one has twin HP500s on it.
Cool that means i can race one and hush the yappers, and Toby you went through the same mess I did with Merc, I just did it one more time then you.To be on a 3rd motor on a 1 year old boat is unacceptable i think. Next power I buy will be a Larry Peto 580.

KACHINA KEN
09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=jordanpaulk]That thing looks like a guppy. I can't believe it's only 38'. It looks so much bigger. But then again, when it's surrounded by 26's and smaller for the most part, I guess it's a perception thing. I just want the trailer. :D[/QUOTE
photo chop your boat onto a goose neck :wink:

PHX ATC
09-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Cool that means i can race one and hush the yappers, and Toby you went through the same mess I did with Merc, I just did it one more time then you.To be on a 3rd motor on a 1 year old boat is unacceptable i think. Next power I buy will be a Larry Peto 580.
Yup, 3 is a little silly in one year. I didn't know the third one was in.
There's a thread further down asking you about why Merc sucks. Some gentleperson asking your story. Might want to take a peek and let him know.
Did you get a free round of goodies for the family from Merc, at least?

rivercrazy
09-10-2004, 10:03 AM
The bottom line IMHO is to purchase a boat that best suits your needs, desires, quality expectations, intended use, and overall budget. Whether it be a Howard, Eliminator, DCB, Shockwave, Kachina, etc is all personal choice. No one should need to defend their choices to anyone else. Just be happy or unhappy with whatever your choices are.
Personally, I am very happy with my 2nd Shockwave and everyone I know that owns one feels the same.

Gerard
09-10-2004, 10:30 AM
The bottom line IMHO is to purchase a boat that best suits your needs, desires, quality expectations, intended use, and overall budget. Whether it be a Howard, Eliminator, DCB, Shockwave, Kachina, etc is all personal choice. No one should need to defend their choices to anyone else. Just be happy or unhappy with whatever your choices are.
Personally, I am very happy with my 2nd Shockwave and everyone I know that owns one feels the same.
That's the whole point.........be happy with what you got, and don't knock others----and have a great time boating!!

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Ken...no disrespect here but if I have read correctly you have the Kachina 26, right? It has a 496HO with no add on HP products, right? It also is a stock engine, right?
If so, and again no disrespect here but if you were to race Frenchie's 25 Tremor with a 496HO I am afraid you will be looking at the back of his boat :)
FWIW just my opinion

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Ken...no disrespect here but if I have read correctly you have the Kachina 26, right? It has a 496HO with no add on HP products, right? It also is a stock engine, right?
If so, and again no disrespect here but if you were to race Frenchie's 25 Tremor with a 496HO I am afraid you will be looking at the back of his boat :)
FWIW just my opinion
negative Tom....
Ken's boat is the Kachina 30'
EDIT: The 64 part I dunno about, but its possible because I know my 29 will run 63 w/the tank full and 6 ppl aboard at mead.
I just wonder since Scream and Kachina26 both say 60-62 w/the 496HO and they have the 26'er
EDIT AGAIN: My boat also looks at the back of those 25' Shockwaves
ok when following Mrs DHO, or Mrs FRENCHIE (just playin' guys :cool: )

Jordy
09-10-2004, 10:43 AM
negative Tom....
Ken's boat is the Kachina 30'
Gotta take it easy on Tom. He's kind of old. His boat has AARP stickers all over it. He just must not have had his glasses on. :D :D :D
Just playin' with ya Mr. President. :D

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Being 30 makes it easier to beat :) Shit, I will take it on myself...lol Ken, if the talk is that you can beat a SW 25 with a 496HO in it...NOT gonna happen. Even one like mine with 5 batteries and all that big ass stereo stuff I haul around.
Just so you know this is what I was referring to by the way "Originally Posted by KACHINA KEN
Cool that means i can race one and hush the yappers"
Jordy...bring out the AARP card again :) Glasses, what friggin' glasses....oh, here they are right next to the dentures

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Being 30 makes it easier to beat :) Shit, I will take it on myself...lol Ken, if the talk is that you can beat a SW 25 with a 496HO in it...NOT gonna happen.
Jordy...bring out the AARP card again :) Glasses, what friggin' glasses....oh, here they are right next to the dentures
I can only assume he meant the 29 mag... :eat:

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-10-2004, 10:54 AM
I think I just need to go back into my hole now.....lol

Kachina26
09-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Good effort Tom. :D

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 11:26 AM
I think I just need to go back into my hole now.....lol
No, I think you need to go back to the lake :cool:

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-10-2004, 11:28 AM
lol....You guys are right....I am just hanging around and riding the Harley down/up the coast tomorrow. Also going to take the office to the Angels game Sunday.
I will be on the water for about 2 weeks or so after next weekend.....Can't wait.

H20 Toie
09-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I just got off the phone with Louie at Kachina, Guess it's time for a road trip and since we haven't been riding our bikes all summer that will make for a nice trip. He did say that if i was going to use it in the ocean they do add more to the hull adds about 200# I'm still going to check out Shockwave.
I don't want to end up with a boat that falls apart again.
Thanks for everyones advice

Kachina26
09-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Keep us posted!

Slib77
09-10-2004, 02:06 PM
I just got off the phone with Louie at Kachina, Guess it's time for a road trip and since we haven't been riding our bikes all summer that will make for a nice trip. He did say that if i was going to use it in the ocean they do add more to the hull adds about 200# I'm still going to check out Shockwave.
I don't want to end up with a boat that falls apart again.
Thanks for everyones advice
I was in there about 4 months ago when I was helping my brother move. Whatever you do don't talk to a guy named Pat. He was more interested in ordering his lunch, and was very short with us. I Have talked to a couple of Kachina owners at Havasu and they all agreed that he was an A$$HOLE. I now have ruled them out. Cool boats. Too bad that Dick ruined a sale. The guy never even returned my e-mails.

Kachina26
09-10-2004, 02:09 PM
I was in there about 4 months ago when I was helping my brother move. Whatever you do don't talk to a guy named Pat. He was more interested in ordering his lunch, and was very short with us. I Have talked to a couple of Kachina owners at Havasu and they all agreed that he was an A$$HOLE. I now have ruled them out. Cool boats. Too bad that Dick ruined a sale. The guy never even returned my e-mails.
I had good luck with Pat, he is the gel guy. He was very personable, but hey, we all have our off days.

Slib77
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
I guess everyone does.
I liked the fact that the boat came with alot of standard stuff, and that there was a ton of room in the cuddy.

playdeep
09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
If I was making the decision, I'd look really hard at the Shockwave or the Howard in the 25' range. Bigger than that, I'd go Shockwave. If I wanted an '86 Sleekcraft, I'd buy one. Just my opinion. :D
...that last line cracks me up :D
Kachina has come along way from those gawd awful,LaBala,Bandit things they used to build.
Anybody remember Kachina's foray into building a cat?
Wedge shaped doorstop looking thing...funkiest cat I have ever seen,I think they only built 1 or 2.Then hopefully burned the mold.
The real reason I chimed in was to inquire about the Baja you guys keep talking about...does it have New Mexico reg.?
I know a guy from here who sent his 40 ft. Baja to AZ. to sell it.This thing has triple 500h.p.'s with whipple charger's.It's blue and sits on a gooseneck.
It never ran as well as you would think considering all that H.P...and chine walked big-time.

hoppie
09-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I think it's cool that everyone is posting pics of their Kachinas. Here is ours. We call it Firewater.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/ralkana/misc/firewater.jpg

Scream
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow, Every Kachina I have seen until now was absolutely beautiful and original. Then these two come along. They each look suspiciously like a couple of other Kachina's that I covet. I had thought that Kachina kept their boats more original than this.
They are beautiful none the less.
Why Thank you, thank you very much...
And KK, while we as Kachina owners don't necessarily have the fastest boats on the water, we've got some of the best lookin rides IMO...
Scream
And the Catalina Run, next year when I put my boat in salt water, that's a definate plan.
Scream again

Kachina26
09-12-2004, 04:22 PM
I think it's cool that everyone is posting pics of their Kachinas. Here is ours. We call it Firewater.
Nice first post! Welcome to the boards.

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 05:53 PM
FWIW just my opinion
;)
Did you mean if he has a 500 e.f.i. tom or 496 h.o.??? Boy this thread got interesting!!! its all good...we are all boaters....we all have a beer and a laugh when we get together right!! :)

Sane Asylum
09-12-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm diggin the paint hopi.....Very nice colors........No chit on the nice first post.....You tell Louie what you wanted???? (or was some of that his idea)

Sane Asylum
09-12-2004, 06:14 PM
;)
Did you mean if he has a 500 e.f.i. tom or 496 h.o.??? Boy this thread got interesting!!! its all good...we are all boaters....we all have a beer and a laugh when we get together right!! :)
I say race anyway.......This is good thread jiz..................Frenchie, I don't know ya but I say ya got a race when you see the dalmation........ :hammer2: :hammer2:

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 07:03 PM
I say race anyway.......This is good thread jiz..................Frenchie, I don't know ya but I say ya got a race when you see the dalmation........ :hammer2: :hammer2:
Im all over it....and ill even let two other kachnia owners who know whats up...to bet on the shockwave!!!! just to be nice....but only KACHINA26 AND FORCE26 cuz they is friends!!! :D

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh and Plya, and SYA will collect for me and get a 10% cut!! :rollside:

Debbolas
09-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Im all over it....and ill even let two other kachnia owners who know whats up...to bet on the shockwave!!!! just to be nice....but only KACHINA26 AND FORCE26 cuz they is friends!!! :D
Ahhemm!!!!
Debbolas & Scream <------------Kachina owners............

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Ahhemm!!!!
Debbolas & Scream <------------Kachina owners............
Sorry sis i forgot!! But more converts???? i think i can let one more in!!!
lets hope he just keeps this straight though, no extra prop, engine work or thats b.s......already had that with my good bud gary Force26 with his 500 e.f.i. when he read Rubber pay$....he put an extra $13,000 in the motor so i could read Clean Livin!!! luv ya Gary!! :wink: :)

Kachina26
09-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Sorry sis i forgot!! But more converts???? i think i can let one more in!!!
lets hope he just keeps this straight though, no extra prop, engine work or thats b.s......already had that with my good bud gary Force26 with his 500 e.f.i. when he read Rubber pay$....he put an extra $13,000 in the motor so i could read Clean Livin!!! luv ya Gary!! :wink: :)
Frenchie, Ken has a 30 footer and is looking to go up against a 29 Shockwave. I think Dave's boat would be the ticket. They both have stock 496HO's. Ken says he gets 64 which I think is about even with Dave Havasu Lvr 's 29 ???
So ease up my friend this is the next size up.

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Frenchie, Ken has a 30 footer and is looking to go up against a 29 Shockwave. I think Dave's boat would be the ticket. They both have stock 496HO's. Ken says he gets 64 which I think is about even with Dave Havasu Lvr 's 29 ???
So ease up my friend this is the next size up.
Hey im just responding to a challenge by Sane ASylum....!!! :rolleyes: :argue:
and i thought it was an easy way to make extra beer $$$!!!! :wink: :p

Kachina26
09-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I went back and re-read, ya I think you can take the dalmation, but that aint saying much. A 25 against a 30? I'll be there rooting you on.

FRENCHIE
09-12-2004, 07:29 PM
night night im out!!! :sleeping:

TheLurker
09-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Now your talking. That "86 Sleekcraft Ambassador is one reliable boat with plenty of cabin room.

Big Warlock
09-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't say something. Kachina does have awesome graphics. The rest of the rigging and equipment is pretty much off the shelf items that you can get at any boat manufacter. (Mercruiser, drives, tanks, etc. etc.) I think we all agree with that.
I have heard that they ask you if you run in the ocean or not. Then, apparently they will lay up the boat heavier for you. The bottom line is this, go to a Kachina and lightly pound on the side of the boat. Even push the side. It will flex at your touch with little pressure. It also sounds light when you bang on it. Compare that with a Warlock, Scarab, Eliminator, Fountain, Shockwave, Formula, Donzi, Magic, Sleekcraft, Cambell, Howard, Hallett, etc. etc. I have owned a Scarab, a Bertram (still have them), Spectra, Warlock and even an Invader. I have been actively boating since 1981.
The only boat I have seen break apart while moving was a Kachina. I know people that own them and love them. But I wouldn't go in the ocean in one and I wouldn't get caught in rough water with one. Again, next time your in a parking lot with a bunch of boats, do the test I told you about. It's a physics thing. A good hit to the side, and your asking for trouble.
If you get a great deal, wonderful. If the money is the same, go for a Donzi or a Fountain or an Eliminator. Lots of great boats out there for the same money they want from you.
Second piece of advice, don't buy new. You can get a one or two year old boat for $20K cheaper. Pick what you want and start looking for it. Get your financing or money set aside and wait. You are coming into a good season to buy a used boat.
My last purchase I wanted a 30 foot Eliminator Eagle or a 29 foot Warlock. I ended up with a Warlock after pursueing 3 boats. Love my Warlock! Balsa wood with fiberglass laid on it. Stronger that most, very light. Goes through anything with a smooth ride! Better than my Scarab, and I never thought I would say that about another boat. Never been to Warlock factory. Heard all the good and bad. Bottom line, awesome boat. The place that maintains it thinks it's an awesome boat. Runs great. No problem, no plans to take it to the factory, ever.
Hope this helps,
Rob :hammer2:

Jordy
09-12-2004, 07:58 PM
That thing looks like a guppy. I can't believe it's only 38'. It looks so much bigger. But then again, when it's surrounded by 26's and smaller for the most part, I guess it's a perception thing. I just want the trailer, although it might be overkill for the boats that are currently in my stable. I could almost put both of them on that one trailer. :D
Wow, I got negative feedback for this post. Not a signature of course, and this one didn't even have a comment.... That's really tough... jerkoff. :notam:

Debbolas
09-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't say something. Kachina does have awesome graphics. The rest of the rigging and equipment is pretty much off the shelf items that you can get at any boat manufacter. (Mercruiser, drives, tanks, etc. etc.) I think we all agree with that.
I have heard that they ask you if you run in the ocean or not. Then, apparently they will lay up the boat heavier for you. The bottom line is this, go to a Kachina and lightly pound on the side of the boat. Even push the side. It will flex at your touch with little pressure. It also sounds light when you bang on it. Compare that with a Warlock, Scarab, Eliminator, Fountain, Shockwave, Formula, Donzi, Magic, Sleekcraft, Cambell, Howard, Hallett, etc. etc. I have owned a Scarab, a Bertram (still have them), Spectra, Warlock and even an Invader. I have been actively boating since 1981.
The only boat I have seen break apart while moving was a Kachina. I know people that own them and love them. But I wouldn't go in the ocean in one and I wouldn't get caught in rough water with one. Again, next time your in a parking lot with a bunch of boats, do the test I told you about. It's a physics thing. A good hit to the side, and your asking for trouble.
If you get a great deal, wonderful. If the money is the same, go for a Donzi or a Fountain or an Eliminator. Lots of great boats out there for the same money they want from you.
Second piece of advice, don't buy new. You can get a one or two year old boat for $20K cheaper. Pick what you want and start looking for it. Get your financing or money set aside and wait. You are coming into a good season to buy a used boat.
My last purchase I wanted a 30 foot Eliminator Eagle or a 29 foot Warlock. I ended up with a Warlock after pursueing 3 boats. Love my Warlock! Balsa wood with fiberglass laid on it. Stronger that most, very light. Goes through anything with a smooth ride! Better than my Scarab, and I never thought I would say that about another boat. Never been to Warlock factory. Heard all the good and bad. Bottom line, awesome boat. The place that maintains it thinks it's an awesome boat. Runs great. No problem, no plans to take it to the factory, ever.
Hope this helps,
Rob :hammer2:
Rob,
When did you look at Kachina's?
We took possesion of ours last February. The reason I ask, is, as we were touring the plant....I was asking all kinds of questions.......as I do........and one of my questions is how is the hull put together? Does it overlap or just sit on top? They said the hull is overlapping (like the Essex boats) and then they pounded on the side of the boat with their fist! I wash our boat and have pressed on the side, plenty of times, it has NEVER yielded to any pressure or flexed..... :confused:
We have had our 26ft out in pretty rought water. The channel (Washing Machine) at Lake Powell....some white caps at Lake Mohave. We were bouncing so much the seats in the cuddy cabin came off and bounced around. (Tour Boat wakes?!?!) I guess Lake Powell was the roughest water yet. We haven't been in the ocean (yet) :D
We love our boat, Pat was awesome to us, as was everyone in the shop. But like someone pointed out before, everyone has an off day. Brett demo'd the boat for us and was very cool. (he got it up to 65 with no one else on board and 5 gallons of gas) :cool:
Not every boat is for every person.....you should shop around and ask all kinds of questions!
But I had to respond to your post as my experience with Kachina was very different.
:hammer2: Deb
P. S. Welcome to the boards!! :D

Kachina26
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I realize I'm not being scientific here, but the Eliminator Eagle 26 and the Kachina Force 26 are about the same weight. How much difference in layup thickness could there be? Plus one of the things Louie pointed out was that the boat did not flex like other brands. I was told take it out in the ocean as is. 7 year warranty on the hull and they've been around since 1963 so I'm guessing they will be there for the next 7. Well, to each their own. Like Kachina Ken said, we aren't talking about top of the line boats here. I agree if I had the budget, I woulda been looking closer at the Howards. Nice boats, or the DCB top notch rigging.
What kind of Kachina did you see break apart? Where did that happen?

Scream
09-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Rob, I have to agree with my wife here. I don't think you've got it all right when it comes down to Kachinas. Our boat is a pretty solid one, weighs plenty and was layed up well. I have no quams or misconceptions with the level of quality my boat was manufactured with and I would definately trust it to make the crossing between the mainland and Catalina on a decent day. I would also put the hull of my boat up against any other in it's class. I really don't think it's as cheesy as you think it is.
Is my Kachina the best layup out there...Probably not, but is it the worst? Oh definately not. There are plenty of lousy boats out there and Kachina is not one of them. I got more than I paid for IMO, because the other builders were putting out pretty much the same boat, less the bell and whistles, for a hell of a lot more $$$ than my Kachina.
Oh, and before I forget, welcome to the boards...
Scream

phebus
09-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow Jordy, I can't believe you could say that!! :D actually, how could someone give you negative feedback for that post. Nothing even remotely controversial. Must be a mistake. I hit you with some positive. :clover:

Big Warlock
09-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, I know you love your Kachina. I see it on the board all the time. You guys have good info on Powell and other things. I appreciate that. Just today coming back from Pleasant, I was having the same discussion with people going to Top Shelf with us. They own a Sea Ray. We parked next to a 30 foot Kachina. We did the test I talked about. Absolutely, no doubt, it is not laid the same. You can press into it. I don't know any other boat that you can do it with.
I appreciate you guys love your boat. Awesome graphics, which Kachina is known for. And I know you guys are comfortable with it in rough water. I am giving you my opinion. (Yea, I do have an engineering degree as well.) It is my opinion, and my experience. I think what Kachina doea well is customer service, equipment options, etc etc. They do that well. They have had problems with their hulls. I will do a little research and see if I can get more details. Have they fixed some of their problems? Maybe, I can't tell you that. If they are still asking if you will run in the ocean or not, that would be a concern. When you buy any other boat, that isn't a cocern. They build them all to one specification, period.
I don't post alot, but I boat more than most. Not a weekend passes that I am not on a lake or in the ocean someplace. That's a fact. About four years ago we witnessed a Kachina come apart on Lake Mohave. Going south from Cottonwood. She flooded and sank pretty quick. No loss of life, but lots of surprise. I don't know how old it was. Don't remember too much else. There were several boats around. I was in my Scarab at the time. It happened and I never forgot. Since then I have talked to lots of people and have heard varied opinions. Who knows? I press up against one and they flex in and out. Not for me. :( Sorry.
And I am not a Baja fan, but you can hardly compare a 38 foot Outlaw with a 26 foot Kachina?!?! Honestly, can you??
I agree with one thing said, you should check out all your options. I think if you want to buy new, and not go for a "top end" boat, Howard, Eliminator and Hallett's are all good local boats in Ca.
Just giving an opinion. Don't have to shoot the messanger.
Rob

Big Warlock
09-12-2004, 08:50 PM
I apologize for the spelling. Long day at the lake.

Big Warlock
09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
And you may even have seen me before. I used to live in Deer Creek, right across form the college, on Wilson ave. I used to have the Scarab (26)parked out front quite often. My neighbor had a very nice Ultra as well.
Not trying to diss your or anyone elses Kachina. You do get what you paid for. And with knowledge and being careful, I agree you shouldn't have too many problems. And you are correct, there are other boats with worse layups as well. But at the risk of pissing off another bunch of folks, I think I'll call it a night.
Next time you head to Mohave or Powell, I will make an effort to hook with you guys. I promise to behave! LOL I missed your last Powell trip by a week.
PS: I would take my Warlock to Catalina almost any day with no worries.

JustDawn
09-12-2004, 09:29 PM
...New tooling costs money,as do new molds.Some builders start from scratch and build something of thier own design.Others use older designs that they purchase from builders who no longer want to build that particular model.
Price discrepancy could be as a result of a builder who actually spent the money on new tooling,subsequent molds,Research and development etc.
I would venture to guess that Shockwave,Howard,Eliminator,DCB,Nordic,Lavey Craft,Conquest, et al. have a substantial investment in design,tooling etc.
Kachina's program is over the top graphics,lots of extra's on an older platform.
I looked at Kachina's a while back and Louie's focus was on graphics.He did not seem to care about cg.,balance,x-dimensions,step bottoms,notched transoms,or things that some other builders do in order to derive more speed and handling from thier boats,his emphasis was geared towards visual appeal and not so much performance.
I am not knocking his approach as he has found a niche,and seems to be doing very well with it.
There is a lot of difference between builders,the best thing to do is look at everything objectively,then choose the boat that best fits your criteria.
*note,Playdeep posting from JustDawns computer,so don't go gigging her for my opinion...

Debbolas
09-13-2004, 06:27 AM
I just drove my daughter to the bus stop, stopped by my boat and "tried" to press into the hull. No such luck. Very solid, it didn't move. :D :D
I know what you mean about dealers buying up other companies used (old) hulls. You can tell by looking at the back of the boat, the older ones look different. Our Kachina has a little swoopy thing halfway down the hull at the bottom. It doesn't look like an old hull. :jawdrop:
What year was the boat you tested? I can only think it must be really old or something. Please add some more info to your posts, so people know what year boat you are talking about. :hammer2:
We have never had any problems with our boat we didn't create ourselves. And we looked long and hard before buying. Eliminator, didn't have enough "stuff" in the boat. It was pretty much a boat with an engine and a glove box. Essex was awesome, I really liked their boats, but they are very expensive. :D
Kachina isn't for everyone, but don't go around saying their hulls flex, just because it isn't your favorite boat... :hammer2:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566ron_I-med.jpg
If you look closely, above the two wheels on the trailer, there is a little swoopy thing in the hull. :D

Big Warlock
09-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey, just realize we are having a discussion. Nothing more or nothing less. I think you guys have a very nice boat. Obviously it runs well and you guys love it. That is what counts. This thread started with someone asking for information. Not from the factory mind you, from the board. When you ask questions in the factory, you are going to get expected answers, right? I know one Kachina owner that was amazed, I mean amazed, that my flames were in the gelcoat and not sticker graphocs. You know why? Because the Kachina factory told him they were the only ones that do that. LOL
That thing above the wheel well is a chine Deb. Is your boat a step hull? Or just has a chine for handling purposes? Maybe they have changed the bottom mold? I don't know. But many boat builders buy molds and the "hull" remains intact. They change up the deck part of the boat and the interior. Not uncommon. The greatest change in hull technology has come from the "cat" crowd that introduced air entrapment that allows the hull to be in "ground effect" and reduces the drag from the hull being in the water. Net effect is the ability to get much more speed out of exact same package on a deep Vee. Deep Vee has a better ride though. Again, my opinion.
I am doing a little research now on the Kachina history. But please don't take this personally. You have a nice boat. I think Scream said "it's not for everyone." Depends on what you do with your boat right?
Rob :boxingguy

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 07:46 AM
I was under the impression that a "chine" was a line that ran longitudinally along the boat, separating the side of the boat from the bottom. ??? The Kachina hull does have a step.
Deb, he didn't mean that Louie bought old hulls and rigged them. Kachina bought old sleekcraft molds and re-worked them a little and made new top halves for them to create the current finished product. It's very common, notice many of the older runabouts looked similar especially on the bottom. My old Carrera looked like a Hawaian (sp) which looked like an Eliminator and so on.

Big Warlock
09-13-2004, 08:03 AM
http://www.powerboatmag.com/2001tests/dec1.php
And yes, a chine does run the length and it appears to end above the wheel well on her boat. Thus the question regarding the step.
Still looking...... :)

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 08:09 AM
http://www.powerboatmag.com/2001tests/dec1.php
And yes, a chine does run the length and it appears to end above the wheel well on her boat. Thus the question regarding the step.
Still looking...... :)
I read that article before my purchase as well as anything else I could get my hands on. It does say right there in the article that it has a step. But I would think you would have seen the step when you did your "push test" on those other kachinas?

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 08:11 AM
I got tired of looking at that red square by your name, so I turned it green since you have been so cordial so far. :D

Big Warlock
09-13-2004, 08:59 AM
You seem like a good guy as well. Obviously I am not a Kachina fan. :) But I am learning more than I ever thought. I just spent over an hour and can't find a bad write up on one. That is something to be said. And although I still think they are laid up light, they do weigh more than I would have guessed. Go figure. You do need to do my test though. I have done it on a number of Kachina's and some other boats I am not a big fan of. But will not mention for fear of the rath of whatever boat is next. LOL
There is a reason why they are not in Factory One racing circuit. (At least I don't think so?) And I never bother to look under the freeboard section of the boat. These kinds of boats typically have a strong bottom to the hull and skimp on the glass on the freeboard.
I have a friend that has a Kachina 30 ' and has the same engine package as mine (496 HO) I get 74 mph out of mine. He gets in the high 60s. The step on the Warlock is very pronounced as well.
Now that doesn't mean I don't like the people that buy Kachinas. I am trying to give my views of the boat. Happy to line up with the next Kachina Regatta and bring some test boats along. :) (like a fart in church right?)
If anyone else can find anything, I would love to see it. Otherwise, I think we have done the best we can with this thread. Agreed?
Rob :D

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Lack of a racing team is one of the reasons cost is low. Customers are not paying for his hobby. Also one of the reasons the hull is slower, no incentive to change it up. I couldn't find any bad articles on them either and I spent more than an hour researching them. Obviously I forgot to ask Jordy how he felt. (Just kidding Jordy) I was not on the boards back then. I got up in a Warlock, they seemed like a nice boat. I didn't care for the lack of room or the fact that I could pick one out from stock. I wanted all the details to be my choosing. I'm just goofy that way and that doesn't detract from the quality of the Warlock.
Randy

KACHINA KEN
09-13-2004, 11:13 AM
You guys shouldn't drink and post at the same time, it affect your comprehension. :rolleyes: I have no interest in racing ski boats errr I mean Tremors J/K calm down. The challenge is this, I will speak in plain en-grish (said with faux japanese accent).
I will...
race any 29 or 30' shit box with a 496 HO 425 hp non enhanced engine.
And I will smoke ya.
I will race anyone to Catalina in a 29 or 30' er
And I will smoke ya.
I got $500 bucks to back it up.
Any takers???

FRENCHIE
09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
You guys shouldn't drink and post at the same time, it affect your comprehension. :rolleyes: I have no interest in racing ski boats errr I mean Tremors J/K calm down. The challenge is this, I will speak in plain en-grish (said with faux japanese accent).
I will...
And I will smoke ya.
And I will smoke ya.
Any takers???
your alright Ken!! :p

Big Warlock
09-13-2004, 12:03 PM
You going to catalina this weekend? And I take it your in a 30' with a 496HO? I think that race would be a blast! If I go, I won't be over until Sat morning though.
Rob

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
I will...
And I will smoke ya.
And I will smoke ya.
Any takers???
lol......Well, I will just sit over here on the porch and see if you get any race offers Ken :)
This could be fun if someone takes him up on it though.....

KACHINA KEN
09-13-2004, 12:16 PM
lol......Well, I will just sit over here on the porch and see if you get any race offers Ken :)
This could be fun if someone takes him up on it though.....
Nothing like a good ole fashioned calling out for some fun ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Have you considered Laveycraft? They build a great boat and are excellent to their customers. They are the ONLY West Coast builder that I know of that vacuum bags their hulls.
Correct me if I am wrong, which is entirely possible, but don't they only vacuum bag the hull if you pay for that option? It's not standard on very boat, is it?

dicudmore
09-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I will...
And I will smoke ya.
And I will smoke ya.
Any takers???
I haven't, and don't plan to go to Catalina any time soon....
However anytime you see me at the 'Zoo, lake mohave or Mead bring it on Ken. :cool:
Dan <--- has a 29' "Shitbox w/496HO"
Dan <--- also doesn't give a shit if the Kachina will beat the Cheetah, but likes to meet and have a beer with other forum members

jdogginla
09-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Kachina Ken........Tried to pm you but, keeps coming back to me, ????? You still making your Catalina run. Still mind if I come by to take a peek at the Dalmation? I'm leaning more and more towards the Kachina but just need to see one in person before making the trip to phoenix.

KACHINA KEN
09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Kachina Ken........Tried to pm you but, keeps coming back to me, ????? You still making your Catalina run. Still mind if I come by to take a peek at the Dalmation? I'm leaning more and more towards the Kachina but just need to see one in person before making the trip to phoenix.
We postponed until May because the core group that was going all had various reasons for inability to attend and since we didnt want the first one to be weak we simply are postponing it. I may do the SCOPE run in Oct, if I do I'll let you know so we can hook up K?

uclahater
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Scream]Rob, I have to agree with my wife here.
Duh tell us something we didnt know :hammer2: :hammer2:
Dont Kill me IM just kidding :idea: I have to do the same thing from time to time :mad:

KACHINA KEN
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Man, all of us have hijacked the shit out of this thread, my apologies to the author.

uclahater
09-13-2004, 01:39 PM
IM also looking for a nice Family boat, and have been very intrigued with the Kachina :cool:
What price range am I looking at for the 26' :D Any help would be appreciated :D :D
Kachina 26 any chance I could stop by and check yours out :D :D

dicudmore
09-13-2004, 02:01 PM
IM also looking for a nice Family boat, and have been very intrigued with the Kachina :cool:
What price range am I looking at for the 26' :D Any help would be appreciated :D :D
approx 70k for the 26 w/a 496HO open bow....
lots of Kachina owners here on the boards (I'm NOT one of them)
Have crawled all over and looked at several, aka kachina26, Force26, and Scream's. All very nice boats :cool:

jdogginla
09-13-2004, 02:09 PM
I've been looking at Kachina, and have spoke with them several times......26' with standard options (loaded compared to many others out there) with trailer $66,900.........step up to the 30' and it's about 74k

dicudmore
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I think he keeps the boat in Havasu....
However I think Scream's boat is in town.

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 02:34 PM
I think he keeps the boat in Havasu....
However I think Scream's boat is in town.
Not only that but Scream's will be in a neighborhood near you before too long. I believe he's gonna store it in the High Desert for the winter. Not too far (2 miles) from your place.

uclahater
09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Not only that but Scream's will be in a neighborhood near you before too long. I believe he's gonna store it in the High Desert for the winter. Not too far (2 miles) from your place.
Is he going to store it at the new storage facility on Main street near the freeway? :idea: :idea:

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 03:18 PM
His friends back yard

Filmwritin
09-13-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm running a 2004 Kachina Force 26 with the 496HO and it's been pretty damn bullet proof for the 125 hours I have on it. We were on Havasu last Wed when a massive monsoon hit and the water was rough. It handled it great and we plowed on while most everything else was running for the shoreline. I don't know why they'd offer to lay the hull heavier for rough water, mine's been there done that and I get no hull flex or creeking.
I have nothing but good things to say for Kachina and their products. They stand behind them. Great service. The boat handles like a charm, planes quickly, and rides smooth.

Havasu Cig
09-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Havasu is not the ocean. I think he was talking about the boat being layed up for ocean use.

Filmwritin
09-13-2004, 03:36 PM
That may well be Cig, the postings are so thick on this one, I mighta missed that. I've run Catalina a couple of times, but it was light wind-chop at best.

Scream
09-13-2004, 03:51 PM
His friends back yard
Yep, in Ahhell's backyard. by the time we're done with "construction" it'll cost several thousand dollars and there will be a beer shortage in the high desert.
We're getting closer to our dream of storage independance though.
Scream
ps, if you're down in the Alta Loma region of the world, look us up, we'll be glad to show you the boat.
Scream

Kachina26
09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
It wasn't my place to say where exactly, I felt like I said too much already. Let me know when that tent is going up, I will come help. And I won't ding your beer either.

robert_pv
09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
You will have no problems with your Kachina Boat !http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1893Havasu_jun04_119.jpg

H20 Toie
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
I sure am glad that i found this site. I didn't expect such a response but it sure is cool. The used kachina w/800 hp motor is out after talking to the guys at Teague, they recommeded a motor with a closed cooling system for the ocean. What about the Lavey craft boats?

KACHINA KEN
09-13-2004, 11:59 PM
I sure am glad that i found this site. I didn't expect such a response but it sure is cool. The used kachina w/800 hp motor is out after talking to the guys at Teague, they recommeded a motor with a closed cooling system for the ocean. What about the Lavey craft boats?
Laveys are great and they have a bitchin race team.

dicudmore
09-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Lavey's are nice boats also....
You're not gonna go wrong with many of them out here

Kachina26
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
go to a Kachina and lightly pound on the side of the boat. Even push the side. It will flex at your touch with little pressure. It also sounds light when you bang on it.
I just got back from the Zoo, and this comment has been in my head ever since you made it. Well, I'm no Frenchie, but I'm not small either. I pushed on the side of that boat with all I had in several spots, and there was not even a hint of flex. Even when standing on top of the deck and even on the dash, no flex. Anywho, wasn't here to beat a dead horse, just wanted to set the record straight on the flexing thing. We had an awesome weekend and even met a few peeps off of the boards.

FRENCHIE
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM
I just got back from the Zoo, and this comment has been in my head ever since you made it. Well, I'm no Frenchie, but I'm not small either. I pushed on the side of that boat with all I had in several spots, and there was not even a hint of flex. Even when standing on top of the deck and even on the dash, no flex. Anywho, wasn't here to beat a dead horse, just wanted to set the record straight on the flexing thing. We had an awesome weekend and even met a few peeps off of the boards.
Glad you feel better brotha!!! Hey ive been on and around your ride all summer...and all joking between two bros aside...you got one good quality boat 'R'!!! enough said!! :wink: :cool:

Debbolas
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Come to OP6 and see our boat!! :D

Debbolas
09-21-2004, 06:36 PM
You seem like a good guy as well. Obviously I am not a Kachina fan. :) But I am learning more than I ever thought. I just spent over an hour and can't find a bad write up on one. That is something to be said. And although I still think they are laid up light, they do weigh more than I would have guessed. Go figure. You do need to do my test though. I have done it on a number of Kachina's and some other boats I am not a big fan of. But will not mention for fear of the rath of whatever boat is next. LOL
Rob :D
Ok, so who can press on the side of their hull and have it flex? :idea:
anyone................anyone?
:confused:

Big Warlock
09-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Good chance I will make it up for the Saturday portion. We can check out the "flex" issue then. 29 foot Warlock, you won't miss me!! :) Most likely stay at the Ramada. I like the security there. :boxed:

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Good chance I will make it up for the Saturday portion. We can check out the "flex" issue then. 29 foot Warlock, you won't miss me!! :) Most likely stay at the Ramada. I like the security there. :boxed:
If you hit Havasu on Sunday, hit me up! I wanna check out that Warlock!

CrazyHippy
09-21-2004, 10:10 PM
I can.... but my boat is also quite a bit faster than this mid 60's BS...
Smaller too :boxed:
BJH

Garrddogg
09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
NOPE! :mix: