PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Stealth, New Features??

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 01:55 PM
If you were building your own boat, what would make it special and unique?
I am sitting here at my desk going over the list of possible modifications for the new 2005 edition of our Stealth-252, and I wanted to ask for suggestions from everyone on this list. If it was YOUR boat, what would you include on it. I don't mean if you had an unlimited budget and money was no issue. But in the real world where every dollar counts, what are the things you look for in a new boat, what are the trim bits and peices, the construction, the fit and finish that you would want to see??
In your oppinion, what seperates a good boat from a great boat ??

phebus
09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
An integrated trash container. I hate seeing trash bags tied up on the deck of an expensive custom boat!!

hot_diggity_dog
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
A small compressor set up with nipple or adapter for blowing up the toys or Mandelon's Blow up Doll. :rollside: LOL. :smile:
Quick release bimini connectors :D
HDD :cool:

nodigg
09-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Trash receptacle
Small air compressor
two level swin platform for sittin' and chillin'
recessed cup holders all around
Quick release bimini connectors

nodigg
09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Trash receptacle
Small air compressor
recessed cup holders all around
Quick release bimini connectors
Make it bigger!

Lightning
09-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Ski lockers that are large enough for a wakeboard to fit into. Many other manufacturers advertise this but don't have one that will fit a wakeboard.

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:07 PM
An integrated trash container. I hate seeing trash bags tied up on the deck of an expensive custom boat!!
Thats a great idea.
Not a single person has asked for it, and I have just gotten used to always dragging the trash bag around.
Would placing it under the engine hatch be too inconvenient ??

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
A small compressor set up with nipple or adapter for blowing up the toys or Mandelon's Blow up Doll. :rollside: LOL. :smile:
Quick release bimini connectors :
The small air comrpessor would be Very Easy to do.
The Quick disconect Bimini Connectors are great, most people just don't want to shell out the money to get the high end components for the bimini. 4 pole Stainless with Quick Disconect IS the way to go, but the cost scares most people away. Have to go hunting for a cost solution....

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Can you point me to what you would consider a Good Example of one of these that you like??

rodnjen
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes, the trash has to be accessible. Another feature on our boat the we really enjoy is reverse-facing seats. When parked we use these seats the most. They are usually better shaded under the bimini and better for people watching, cocktails, lunch or whatever.

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Ski lockers that are large enough for a wakeboard to fit into. Many other manufacturers advertise this but don't have one that will fit a wakeboard.
This has been a real issue for several people this year.
But its a BEAR to solve.
The problem is that you want to build your floor height as low as possible to maximise internal volume on the boat.
This of course minimizes the available cavity space beneath the floor for a bigger locker.
Not being a wakeboarder, is there a good standard/average size for them, or do they vary quite a bit??

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Yes, the trash has to be accessible. Another feature on our boat the we really enjoy is reverse-facing seats. When parked we use these seats the most. They are usually better shaded under the bimini and better for people watching, cocktails, lunch or whatever.
That would be a real challenge in my hull.
But...
Would you be willing to sacrifice the forward passenger seat and replace it with a wrap-around bench along that side of the boat??

rodnjen
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Not really, we looked at a seating configuration like that, and my wife felt "disconnected" from what was going on. I realize rev. seats aren't as popular as they once were, but if you do any water sports at all, I think they are a nececity. I guess the answer is you by a different kind of boat.
This is what we went with for overall utility, styling and performance.

Stealth Marine
09-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Not really, we looked at a seating configuration like that, and my wife felt "disconnected" from what was going on. I realize rev. seats aren't as popular as they once were, but if you do any water sports at all, I think they are a nececity. I guess the answer is you by a different kind of boat.
This is what we went with for overall utility, styling and performance.
Your wife is RIGHT on the mark.
I don't think there is enough room in my hull to allow us to make a proper rear facing seat, and the wrap-around design most certainly doesn't offer you that "Well Attached" feeling at speed that a proper bucket seat does.

nodigg
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Can you point me to what you would consider a Good Example of one of these that you like??
first one that comes to mind is the new HTM deckboat. bunch of them out there though. Great for the channel sittin'

Nokomis
09-09-2004, 05:28 PM
My 2004 Ultra 24 Stealth has almost everything you guys mentioned.
Rear facing seats, twin floor ski lockers that fit my boards, plenty of recessed (and LED lit) cup holders, twin billet swim steps, and dual quick release bimini mounts so you can shade the front seats or the back seats and bench. No integrated garbage recepticle or built in air, but i have a 12 volt outlet for a air pump I use.
Not trying to hijack the thread for Ultra, just saying all of these options are great additions to a new boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20224stealth_10small.jpg

XtrmWakeborder
09-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Not being a wakeboarder, is there a good standard/average size for them, or do they vary quite a bit??
My biggest wakeboard is 4.5' long 1.5' wide and a little over 1' tall..if that helps you any...

hot_diggity_dog
09-09-2004, 06:16 PM
The small air comrpessor would be Very Easy to do.
The Quick disconect Bimini Connectors are great, most people just don't want to shell out the money to get the high end components for the bimini. 4 pole Stainless with Quick Disconect IS the way to go, but the cost scares most people away. Have to go hunting for a cost solution....
Bull shit :hammer2: If your going to do do it right! :wink: :rolleyes: Stainless cost no matter how you slice it. :coffeycup
If they can spend that kind of money on the boat, they can afford the connectors. :D
HDD :D

hot_diggity_dog
09-09-2004, 06:31 PM
This has been a real issue for several people this year.
But its a BEAR to solve.
The problem is that you want to build your floor height as low as possible to maximise internal volume on the boat.
This of course minimizes the available cavity space beneath the floor for a bigger locker.
Billet board rack mounted in the bow on the side of the boat :confused:

MOBrien
09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
I love the idea of a built in trash receptacle that you could put a kitchen bag liner in. If there's a built in cooler, trash bin should be close to it for the empties...instead of tossing them back into the cooler or having a glad bag flappin in the wind.
Also, gotta go with the small compressor trend here. Simple, fairly inexpensive addition that brings tons of value and user friendliness to the boat and would require minimal space.
A small drop-down table...maybe from the side panel somewhere would be cool for making sando's, cuttin limes, or just setting food/snack trays on when you're chillin.
Lastly, offer it with a flush mounted I-Pod. That'd be sweet!
That's my $.02
-MOB

voodoomedman
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Rear facing seats, twin floor ski lockers that fit my boards, plenty of recessed (and LED lit) cup holders, twin billet swim steps, and dual quick release bimini mounts so you can shade the front seats or the back seats and bench. No integrated garbage recepticle or built in air, but i have a 12 volt outlet for a air pump I use.
Not trying to hijack the thread for Ultra, just saying all of these options are great additions to a new boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20224stealth_10small.jpg
I agree. Among other things the features are why I picked this boat. Not trying to change subject either. It's about the features. The trash can idea sounds great. I know where one would fit perfect in mine. Expensive boat and trash bags laying on the ground. ... Kinda sucks.

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 06:58 AM
No problem about Hijacking. My question was honest and I REALLY want to find out what people are looking for out there. We have not made any real substanative changes to the Stealth since 1999, and now I am ready to bite the bullet and modify the base mold as well as make up a whole new set of secondary molds for new features. So the only way to know what I should be focusing in on is to ASK OTHER BOATERS what they like!!
The twin lockers is just flat out impossible for me, as we use a single centerline belly tank in the hull, changing that would have huge implications for how the boat rides, so I am not heading in that direction. Rear facing seats seems to be a theme here though.... I wonder if I could make a bucket seat that pivoted???
DUAL BIMINI MOUNTS?
Now thats an interesting idea?
Why would you want to go this route, when you could just have a slightly longer Bimini and cover both ends at the same time?
Just a matter of looks???
TWIN SWIM STEPS.
Hmmmm. I am going to have to sit and think this one through. Since the boat already has a fully integrated swim step on it, Mounting a 2nd one that is behind and below the integrated one would pose some mechanical challenges....

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 06:58 AM
My biggest wakeboard is 4.5' long 1.5' wide and a little over 1' tall..if that helps you any...
That helps ALOT.
Time to go take a Bow measurement.
Lets see what I have to work with.....

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Bull shit :hammer2: If your going to do do it right! :wink: :rolleyes: Stainless cost no matter how you slice it. :coffeycup
If they can spend that kind of money on the boat, they can afford the connectors. :D
Sounds great on paper. But in the real world people agonize over every dollar as it all adds up pretty fast...

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 07:22 AM
I wonder if I could make a bucket seat that pivoted???
Chris one of my old boats had bucket seats that would pivot, and could be
rotated 360 deg, was good for observing skiers.
BUT, here's my question that we haven't addressed much. How many people are buying a 25' V-hull like yours to ski behind???
I mean I like the idea of the rear facing seat in a master-craft or an 18ft Four-Winns etc. But if I were coming in to look at your boat, that would not be something I'd be worried about.

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 07:25 AM
I love the idea of a built in trash receptacle that you could put a kitchen bag liner in. If there's a built in cooler, trash bin should be close to it for the empties...instead of tossing them back into the cooler or having a glad bag flappin in the wind.
Also, gotta go with the small compressor trend here. Simple, fairly inexpensive addition that brings tons of value and user friendliness to the boat and would require minimal space.
A small drop-down table...maybe from the side panel somewhere would be cool for making sando's, cuttin limes, or just setting food/snack trays on when you're chillin.
Lastly, offer it with a flush mounted I-Pod. That'd be sweet!
The trash thing seems to be a winner, as does the small compressor. I think we will do both of these for 2005.
SMALL TABLE.
Need to do a little looking around with the suppliers to see what might be available out there. If it was clean and well integrated that might be a nice feature to offer people. Maybe mount it to the back of one of the bucket seats. If we mount it to the side pannel it will cover up the integrated cup holders and storage bins.
I-POD.
We are going for XM Radio as a new feature in 2005. Will have to check the Sony Head units we use to see if they are compatible with I-POD...

Jordy
09-10-2004, 07:31 AM
The twin lockers is just flat out impossible for me, as we use a single centerline belly tank in the hull, changing that would have huge implications for how the boat rides, so I am not heading in that direction.
OK, so you have the belly tank. What is in the space under the gunwales where the tanks are mounted in other boats. How about some kind of a locker in those spaces that would secure the boards/skis/whatever else. Seems like wasted space that could somehow be converted to usable storage.

mud duck
09-10-2004, 08:52 AM
My 21' Ultra open bow came with a manual engine hatch. One of the best things I added was a set of those hydraulic hinges for the engine hatch with a remote on the key chain. Now I never have to worry if the forward snaps are snapped to prevent the hatch from lifting/flopping at speed. The hinges hold it in place securely. This may be standard on the new Stealth models now, my Ultra is an old 1998 model. Or, perhaps there is even a better system out now than the hydraulic hinge set up. Those engine hatches can be very heavy after a long day of boating.

Racer277
09-10-2004, 09:20 AM
We line our built in ice chest with a trash bag, so that's our trash.
The compressor should be an easy fix, I agree.
The rear facing seats were a must for us. We tried the Nordic pivoting buckets, POS. Make something nice and stable that pivots. Not just for watersports, but who wants to sit under the bimini and look at the back of a head.
Table is a big one, doesn't need a sink just a small table.
Recessed Ice chest holder with a drain.
I have seen boats with a two-level swim step. Lower on each side of the drive, then steps up over the drive. Never liked them much until this thread, now they make sense.
Maybe old school, but bring windshields back, especially a pivot or removable one, even streetbikes have motorized windshields now.
On board generator may be an option in a 25'. Wouldn't worry about batteries that way...

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Chris one of my old boats had bucket seats that would pivot, and could be
rotated 360 deg, was good for observing skiers.
BUT, here's my question that we haven't addressed much. How many people are buying a 25' V-hull like yours to ski behind???
I mean I like the idea of the rear facing seat in a master-craft or an 18ft Four-Winns etc. But if I were coming in to look at your boat, that would not be something I'd be worried about.
I agree with your thought train.
BUT..
The whole point of this exercise is to see what people want in their boats.
Not all boats can be all things to all people.
But if a rear facing seat is a really hot item and everyone out there wants it, then its probably in my best interest to spend a little time doing some research to see if its even feasable.
I put Randy on the task this morning, and it might actually be possible to build in an integrated rear facing seat that is part of the passenger seat. It would require that we make a change to the rear bench seat, but its doable.
One of the nice things about being a small custom shop, is that we are not locked into any one configuration. We have a lot of freedom in how we layout each boat. So its a good exercise just to look at the possibilites.

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 09:54 AM
OK, so you have the belly tank. What is in the space under the gunwales where the tanks are mounted in other boats. How about some kind of a locker in those spaces that would secure the boards/skis/whatever else. Seems like wasted space that could somehow be converted to usable storage.
Good thinking.
There is some space there that could be used.
But...
How on earth do you get access to it?
The only spot that you could possibly open up would be the small area where the rear passenger places his feet just behind the bucket seats. It would, at best, allow for a small square hatch opening. And the angle of entry to put anything in there would be very steep since you have a seat at both ends. It would turn into just a cubby hold for rope and soft goods. And with our V-Bottom, that far out on the sides of the boat, its going to be pretty darn shallow...

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 10:00 AM
My 21' Ultra open bow came with a manual engine hatch. One of the best things I added was a set of those hydraulic hinges for the engine hatch with a remote on the key chain. Now I never have to worry if the forward snaps are snapped to prevent the hatch from lifting/flopping at speed. The hinges hold it in place securely. This may be standard on the new Stealth models now, my Ultra is an old 1998 model. Or, perhaps there is even a better system out now than the hydraulic hinge set up. Those engine hatches can be very heavy after a long day of boating.
This year we used the electric hatch rams with external hinges on the rear of the Engine Hatch. That seems to be the industry standard at this point.
I am now in the process of modifying the mold for the boat to allow the use of the internal hidden hinges as well as the new Hydraulic Power Hinges that Danamarine has come out with. Both of these require a lot more "lip" in the engine compartment to be bolted into than we currently have.

Jordy
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Good thinking.
There is some space there that could be used.
But...
How on earth do you get access to it?
Hey, I came up with the idea. You're supposed to make it work now. :D :D :D
I have been trying to visualize something, and honestly, I'm not terribly familiar with the Stealth line, but it seems that most boats get a little deeper up around the rub rail, so that would add to the storage depth, maybe not enough for a wake board with really rigid bindings. I'm thinking some kind of hatch or panel that opens to expose this storage spot, but I don't know if that would interfere with recessed drink holders and cubby holes or not.
It's just a thought. ;)

PHX ATC
09-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Chris,
You've a few of my suggestions on the tail end of the other thread where you integrated your initial question into that conversation. I've some more ideas, complaints, betterments, and blahs...
1. Storage. It seems on my boat Nordic 25 Rage (2003) that they left some spots that could've been storage completely ignored. Take, for example, in the midcabin, underneath the bench lounge seats. Nothing but wood in there. That would've been a perfect place for a couple of cubby holes to stash stuff. I wouldn't have to be very big or compromise structural integrity of the boat, just another storage spot. Ideally, my idea for this space (keep in mind I've no idea what's beneath there, but I assume nothing is there) was a small lock box for your valuables, driver's license, wallet, bling bling gold chains, prescription medicine should you need it, etc. It's rather out of sight, out of mind, it's lockable, not in direct sunlight, and in a dry spot. I'm not saying use it as a family safe when you're in the hotel for the night, but a small lockbox area for while you're on the river. I dunno, that's for what it's worth.
2. Swivel seat, my thoughts. We have swivels in our Nordic. Some days I love them and some days I hate them. My wife likes them more than I do. They squeak which is freaking annoying. The driver's side one, technically can rotate 360 around, but really can't because of the steering wheel and throttle assembly location. It can rotate about 40 degrees either side.
3. Center cushions. Maybe Stealth already has them, I don't know (pardon me). Center cushions, at the very least as an option, for both the midcabin and open bow (if equipped) would be very cool. I woulda ordered these without blinking an eye. They sure would come in handy for kids and napping people.
4. Dividers in the engine compartment. You know, those $10 pieces of sealed wood that separate the engine from the storage areas to either side of it. I worry all the time about my daughter's tube resting against the exhaust manifold and melting or the stack of orange PFD's doing the same thing. Again, maybe Stealth already has this flick and incorporates them into ya'll's vessel. (Is "ya'll's" a word?) :D
We'll be up in Havasu October 10-14th and would like to come see what you've got up there. No, I'm not in the market for a new boat, but we do enjoy looking at boats and how they are built. Plus, I can oooh and aaaah over your stuff. Let me know if you'd be available during those days. We've got a teensy bit of work to have the Nordic factory do on our boat, so we'll have a couple of hours to burn before going boating.
Toby

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I agree with your thought train.
BUT..
The whole point of this exercise is to see what people want in their boats.
Not all boats can be all things to all people.
But if a rear facing seat is a really hot item and everyone out there wants it, then its probably in my best interest to spend a little time doing some research to see if its even feasable.
I put Randy on the task this morning, and it might actually be possible to build in an integrated rear facing seat that is part of the passenger seat. It would require that we make a change to the rear bench seat, but its doable.
One of the nice things about being a small custom shop, is that we are not locked into any one configuration. We have a lot of freedom in how we layout each boat. So its a good exercise just to look at the possibilites.
yeah I hear you, just thought I'd steer the thread back towards the stealth a little bit. Meaning I'd be looking for different "hot items" on a 25' V, versus a pontoon or a deck...

mud duck
09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
LED indirect lighting. Perhaps superficial and not practical or useful, but it would help sell boats. I sure wish my boat had it. However, the trash container idea should be much higher on the priority list. I currently use the upholstered pockets on each side of the walk through with plastic bags inside each for my trash. It is make-shift at best, but better than a bag bouncing around the floor.

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
The rear facing seats were a must for us. We tried the Nordic pivoting buckets, POS. Make something nice and stable that pivots. Not just for watersports, but who wants to sit under the bimini and look at the back of a head.
Table is a big one, doesn't need a sink just a small table.
I have seen boats with a two-level swim step. Lower on each side of the drive, then steps up over the drive. Never liked them much until this thread, now they make sense.
Maybe old school, but bring windshields back, especially a pivot or removable one, even streetbikes have motorized windshields now.
On board generator may be an option in a 25'. Wouldn't worry about batteries that way...
Racer277:
This rear facing seat thing just keeps showing up.
Obviously its something we need to look into...
Its interesting you mention the Nordic, as we just had one in yesterday with the pivot seat and the seat base was tearing through the flooring. The pedistal is so small on the base, that the torque is just too much for it over time. There would have to be a different long term solution to a pivoting seat...
TABLE.
Were looking at that rigth now. I rather like the idea and think there is a way to make it happen.
SWIM STEP.
Still not sure about this. Might take a LOT of custom engineering, but it would be very cool to be able to sit on the back of the boat and be in the water at the same time....
WINDSHEILD.
We don't offer the boat without a windsheild.
Rather we offer 3 different windsheilds. Short, Medium and Off-Shore.
The boat just doesn't look right without it.
GENERATOR..
I would think another battery or two would be a better option, but who knows.. No one has ever brought it up before...

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Chris,
You've a few of my suggestions on the tail end of the other thread where you integrated your initial question into that conversation. I've some more ideas, complaints, betterments, and blahs...
1. Storage. It seems on my boat Nordic 25 Rage (2003) that they left some spots that could've been storage completely ignored. Take, for example, in the midcabin, underneath the bench lounge seats. Nothing but wood in there. That would've been a perfect place for a couple of cubby holes to stash stuff. I wouldn't have to be very big or compromise structural integrity of the boat, just another storage spot. Ideally, my idea for this space (keep in mind I've no idea what's beneath there, but I assume nothing is there) was a small lock box for your valuables, driver's license, wallet, bling bling gold chains, prescription medicine should you need it, etc. It's rather out of sight, out of mind, it's lockable, not in direct sunlight, and in a dry spot. I'm not saying use it as a family safe when you're in the hotel for the night, but a small lockbox area for while you're on the river. I dunno, that's for what it's worth.
2. Swivel seat, my thoughts. We have swivels in our Nordic. Some days I love them and some days I hate them. My wife likes them more than I do. They squeak which is freaking annoying. The driver's side one, technically can rotate 360 around, but really can't because of the steering wheel and throttle assembly location. It can rotate about 40 degrees either side.
3. Center cushions. Maybe Stealth already has them, I don't know (pardon me). Center cushions, at the very least as an option, for both the midcabin and open bow (if equipped) would be very cool. I woulda ordered these without blinking an eye. They sure would come in handy for kids and napping people.
4. Dividers in the engine compartment. You know, those $10 pieces of sealed wood that separate the engine from the storage areas to either side of it. I worry all the time about my daughter's tube resting against the exhaust manifold and melting or the stack of orange PFD's doing the same thing. Again, maybe Stealth already has this flick and incorporates them into ya'll's vessel. (Is "ya'll's" a word?) :D
We'll be up in Havasu October 10-14th and would like to come see what you've got up there. No, I'm not in the market for a new boat, but we do enjoy looking at boats and how they are built. Plus, I can oooh and aaaah over your stuff. Let me know if you'd be available during those days. We've got a teensy bit of work to have the Nordic factory do on our boat, so we'll have a couple of hours to burn before going boating.
Toby
Seemed like I would get more input if I broke this topic out of the old thread...
STORAGE.
Yes, your quite right, there is NEVER enough storage space in a boat, and there are lots of little nocks and crannies. I don't know for sure on your boat, but its quite possible that the underside of the mid-cuddy seat is so close to the hull that there is no usable space at all, or that it is so small they never though anyone would want to make use of it. In our case the seat are bolted directly to the stringers and there is less than 2 inches of total space beneath them, so we never made the bottom seat cushio removable...
But, I suppose it could be done......
We do use the space behind the seat backs as storage for towels and such.
SWIVEL SEAT.
We offer a sliding seat as an option, which is reasonable nice if you have different people driving the boat, just like a car seat, it slides forward and rearward. But we have not tried inserting a rotating coupling between the seat and the base. I do not like the pedestal style seat bases because there just isn't enough contact space on the floor in my oppinion. i want more surface area to distribute the load. The driver seat would be very hard for us to do, but it might be that there is a solution on the passenger bucket seat...
CENTER CUSHIONS.
We currently offer this as an option. Customers with small children are the ones that order this. Drops right in between the two love seats in the mid cuddy and makes it into a nice little bed for the kids to nap on.
DIVIDERS.
This year all of the boats came with Engine Compartment Dividers that were made out of Resin coated wood with a carpet covering. For 2005 I am moving to fully molded fiberglass dividers. Should look a LOT nicer, be MUCH easier to clean and alot stronger as well.
(YA'LL) IS A WORD!!
I married a southerner when I was at Fort Bragg in the 82nd Airborne. Since then its become a part of my vocabulary...
OCTOBER 10-14th.
If your in town, by all means drop by and say hello.
Beleive it or not, life is NOT all about selling boats !
My goal is only to sell 6-10 boats a year. We are a small custom shop and there is always time to spend getting to know people.
PS.
LOVE THE HORSES !!

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 10:55 AM
LED indirect lighting. Perhaps superficial and not practical or useful, but it would help sell boats. I sure wish my boat had it. However, the trash container idea should be much higher on the priority list. I currently use the upholstered pockets on each side of the walk through with plastic bags inside each for my trash. It is make-shift at best, but better than a bag bouncing around the floor.
Tell me why, in your humble oppinion, that the LED style lights are any better than the incandesent lights ??
What is it about them that you find attractive???
When we went to the last wholesale boat show there were vendors pushing them all over the place. They clearly have become all the rage, but I can't see any real advantage over the conventional DC lights. The current drain is just so small as it is...

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Ideas so far...
Dual-Quick Release Bimini Connectors
Fold Out Table
Larger Ski Locker (Wake Board Size)
Integrated Cooler with Drain
Integrated Trash Can
More Storage Space in general
Rear Facing Seats
Small Air Compressor
Swivel Seats
Two Level Swim Step

Lightning
09-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Tell me why, in your humble oppinion, that the LED style lights are any better than the incandesent lights ??
What is it about them that you find attractive???
When we went to the last wholesale boat show there were vendors pushing them all over the place. They clearly have become all the rage, but I can't see any real advantage over the conventional DC lights. The current drain is just so small as it is...
The LED's are directional and allow you to point them in the proper direction, which is beneficial at night time. Light the you can control from pointing up, helps when you are cruising around at night. I need to dig up some photos of mine and post.
As far as the wakeboard storage in the gunnels. You can have a rack mounted in there that the board straps into while underway. Access can be had through the engine compartment. Just a thought.

mud duck
09-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, let me back up.... colored indirect lighting would be the idea. If conventional DC lighting can be done comparable to what the LED lighting provides, than that is great. I do not have stock in any LED manufacturing or sales company, so if it can be done better, more power to you. I have only seen indirect lighting in one boat in person, and in several photos of boats, but that does not make me an expert by any means. I like the way it looks, how ever the effect can be accomplished. I personally do not have it in my boat, hence the uneducated view point of how it is actually done.

69 Elim
09-10-2004, 12:10 PM
ok, I have an idea. I didn't read the whole thread and I'm not a wake boarder, but some guys seem to be looking for places to put them. It seems to me that making some kind of holder underneith the engine hatch on both sides of the motor would be a good spot to hang some wake boards (one on each side of the motor). they could just hang upside down on the bottom side of the hatch.
what do ya think?

jbtrailerjim
09-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Recessed Ice chest holder with a drain.
I really wish my recessed ice chest holder had a drain in it. That friggin ice chest is heavy to lift out of my mid-cabin.
Quick disconnect on the bimini top.
Storage in the gunwales. Mine is just wasted space.
The trash can storage is a great idea. I've always wondered why nobody has done this. My old boat had the built in ice chest in the floor and it was useless. I put a trash bag in there and it worked great for trash storage.

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 01:17 PM
The LED's are directional and allow you to point them in the proper direction, which is beneficial at night time. Light the you can control from pointing up, helps when you are cruising around at night. I need to dig up some photos of mine and post.
As far as the wakeboard storage in the gunnels. You can have a rack mounted in there that the board straps into while underway. Access can be had through the engine compartment. Just a thought.
Okay.
We're talking about two different things here.
I thought you were referring to the standard lights that are used in the cupholders and for floor lighting. Not the lights that are in the mid-cuddy that are directional.
Interesting thought on the engine access to the gunnel storage. I wonder if there is enough room to slide a wake board in without it binding up against the engine hatch. I need to get a wakeboard and try sliding one into the boat we are working on this weekend. If that works, that would be a NICE solution indeed !

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 01:21 PM
ok, I have an idea. I didn't read the whole thread and I'm not a wake boarder, but some guys seem to be looking for places to put them. It seems to me that making some kind of holder underneith the engine hatch on both sides of the motor would be a good spot to hang some wake boards (one on each side of the motor). they could just hang upside down on the bottom side of the hatch.
what do ya think?
If you had a hatch that was 5 feet long, it would work just great. But most small boats don't have that kind of an engine bay to play with. Our hatch is all of 3ft long. Width wise it would fit, but the current hatch configuration is only a couple inches above the engine, so to hang a wake board in there would require that we raise up the hatch. Then it becomes a matter of personal oppinion as to the look of the engine hatch. Some people LOVE the raised up hatch look, others want it as low and sleek as possible.

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I really wish my recessed ice chest holder had a drain in it. That friggin ice chest is heavy to lift out of my mid-cabin.
The trash can storage is a great idea. I've always wondered why nobody has done this. My old boat had the built in ice chest in the floor and it was useless. I put a trash bag in there and it worked great for trash storage.
I think it would be pretty easy to have the ice chest drain to the bilge....
My old Stingray boat had a built in cooler that drained over-board...Downside was you couldn't plug it, when the ice started to melt all the cold stuff was gone :frown:

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Question on the Ice Chest.
Once the Ice chest is integrated into the boat, and has an integral drain in it, you obviously can not take it out of the boat. To some extent that would seem like a real disadvantage to me.
I have a wife and 4 kids.
We load up the 92qt stealth cooler at home and then haul the monster, fully loaded into the boat. With the integrated unit, you will have to haul all the supplies to the boat, transfer all of them to the cooler, then pack in the ice.
The advantage is that it frees up space in the mid cuddy, the drawback is that it has to be loaded and unloaded by hand...
Is it worth it???????

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Question on the Ice Chest.
Once the Ice chest is integrated into the boat, and has an integral drain in it, you obviously can not take it out of the boat. To some extent that would seem like a real disadvantage to me.
I have a wife and 4 kids.
We load up the 92qt stealth cooler at home and then haul the monster, fully loaded into the boat. With the integrated unit, you will have to haul all the supplies to the boat, transfer all of them to the cooler, then pack in the ice.
The advantage is that it frees up space in the mid cuddy, the drawback is that it has to be loaded and unloaded by hand...
Is it worth it???????
Chris I'm thinking like you say a cooler that is remove-able, but where the customer could get to the side, open the drain and have the water drain into the bilge or whatever, lose a few pounds before my 150lb self tries to lift it out of there...

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Chris I'm thinking like you say a cooler that is remove-able, but where the customer could get to the side, open the drain and have the water drain into the bilge or whatever, lose a few pounds before my 150lb self tries to lift it out of there...
The mold that I am working on right now will have the rear seat base acting as an integrated cooler. With a left and a right storage compartment. Both of them will have a drain line with a shutoff valve that runs to the center engine bildge. But, in this configuration, they will NOT be removable at all, and to get into them, you will need to lift the rear seat cushion. I am planning on adding a hindge to the rear seats, so the cushions will just pivot up to offer easy access, rather than actually coming off the seat as we do now.

dicudmore
09-10-2004, 01:37 PM
The mold that I am working on right now will have the rear seat base acting as an integrated cooler. With a left and a right storage compartment. Both of them will have a drain line with a shutoff valve that runs to the center engine bildge. But, in this configuration, they will NOT be removable at all, and to get into them, you will need to lift the rear seat cushion. I am planning on adding a hindge to the rear seats, so the cushions will just pivot up to offer easy access, rather than actually coming off the seat as we do now.
that works....I've seen it on a 26' Kachina :cool:
what about draining from the mid-cabin area to the bilge?

Stealth Marine
09-10-2004, 02:07 PM
that works....I've seen it on a 26' Kachina :cool:
what about draining from the mid-cabin area to the bilge?
We are working to enhance the drain line from the Mid-Cuddy floor to the rear engine compartment. Its there now, but some people have reported that it drains too slowly. So I will be increasing the drain line to make SURE it empties out faster in the event of a flood of any sort.
had one guy knock over a full 92qt cooler and flood the compartment, and another that got caught in a massive downpoor.

Slib77
09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
How about a telescoping stern light?

Nokomis
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
About the built in Ipod.... I have a 12volt outlet in the cubbie for the rececessd cup holder by the stereo. You buy the wireless fm connection for the Ipod, plug it in the outlet and the cupholder holds the Ipod. You just dial in the fm station that the Ipod is set for and your good to go.
Heres a link to the wireless fm transmitter. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T7194LL/A

jbtrailerjim
09-10-2004, 04:28 PM
This is exactly what I'm thinking about. I usually have to hand load and unload my ice chest before I put it in my boat. The mid-cabin in my boat is on the smallish side. So, to get my ice chest in & out I have to lift it out on a slight angle and up & over the seats. A loaded ice chest is a real bitch to do it with.
If the recessed holder had a drain in it I would at least be able to drain the water before I had to remove the ice chest from the boat. After a whole weekend on the water I probably have at least 30lbs of water and ice left in it plus whatever drinks are left over. It would nice to lose some of the weight out of it before I removed it from the boat.
I wouldn't be that against having a built in ice chest in the mid-cabin as long as you could plug off the drain. So, the ice doesn't melt so fast.

phebus
09-10-2004, 06:18 PM
I would do away with the hard ice chests, and sell the boat with areas that are dedicated for the American Outdoors type ice chests that would come embroidered with the Stealth logo. Much more functional.

hot_diggity_dog
09-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I would do away with the hard ice chests, and sell the boat with areas that are dedicated for the American Outdoors type ice chests that would come embroidered with the Stealth logo. Much more functional.
Bingo glassed in recessed area's that you insert the AO ice chest.
HDD

Stealth Marine
09-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Hmmm.
I have three of these that I use in the forward holds on our jetskies.
But I have never used any of the larger ones.
Whats the biggest one that you have actually lugged into a boat.
I have found that the smaller ones don't hold much of their form as the contents melt, and tend to have a slow constant trickle of a leak in them when they are full of water???
Most of the stealths so far have gone out the door with a dedicated 92qt cooler platform just in front of the driver in the Mid-Cuddy.
Thus far we have not engineered it as a water containment area with a drain.
But its a GREAT Idea and would be Very easy to implement!
I am just currious what it would be like to transport one of the BIG AO Coolers fully loaded????

phebus
09-11-2004, 09:14 AM
I have one of the AO 48qt. coolers that I stuff full , and it gets a little heavy, but it is very manageable. The beauty is that you don't have to worry about scratching or damaging anything with it opposed to a hard sided cooler. It doesn't leak at all, and it is guarnteed not to do so. The cheapo's leak, but not the AO's.

nodigg
09-11-2004, 12:04 PM
We are working to enhance the drain line from the Mid-Cuddy floor to the rear engine compartment. Its there now, but some people have reported that it drains too slowly. So I will be increasing the drain line to make SURE it empties out faster in the event of a flood of any sort.
had one guy knock over a full 92qt cooler and flood the compartment, and another that got caught in a massive downpoor.
A friend of miine has a 25 midcabin, (no names to protect the inncocent) and his midcabin fills with water/NO drain! Not a stealth. Very important. Also, getting that rear swim step to hang back past the outdrive as much as is feasable helps protect against prop injuries while at rest/play/boarding.

prop check
09-11-2004, 12:36 PM
try a trash bag holder either in the passenger side wall or into the bow tip seating area for access outside the boat. and try making round back buckets that are on a swivel for skiing and channel sitting.

Stealth Marine
09-11-2004, 01:32 PM
A friend of miine has a 25 midcabin, (no names to protect the inncocent) and his midcabin fills with water/NO drain! Not a stealth. Very important. Also, getting that rear swim step to hang back past the outdrive as much as is feasable helps protect against prop injuries while at rest/play/boarding.
Having a boat that drains is a GOOD thing!
Working on this 2nd swim step thing. Its gonna take some time and effort to see what we can or can not do.

Stealth Marine
09-11-2004, 01:34 PM
try a trash bag holder either in the passenger side wall or into the bow tip seating area for access outside the boat. and try making round back buckets that are on a swivel for skiing and channel sitting.
The bow tip area certainly has the space. Not sure how lovely it would look. Would need to find a really nice hatch cover of some sort to close it off with so it doesn't ruin the looks of the front of the boat....
Not at all sure what to do about the rear facing seat. We are all talking about that one....

nodigg
09-11-2004, 04:46 PM
The bow tip area certainly has the space. Not sure how lovely it would look. Would need to find a really nice hatch cover of some sort to close it off with so it doesn't ruin the looks of the front of the boat....
Not at all sure what to do about the rear facing seat. We are all talking about that one....
I always like the boats that offer a rear facing seat. I have often daydreamed about having some sort of flip back that does not look like a pontoon seat...................good for channel sitting also.

nodigg
09-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey Chris, have you any ideas on how you could make a midcabin with flip up roof so that when at rest or docking you could open up the tops and walk upright to the front?
new for 2005, the Stealth 252 mid cabin flip/convertable/star gazer/top! Hey what a great idea for those night rides made for two!

phebus
09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
That is a great idea!! It would be awesome to be able to walk to the front while docking with a midcabin.

nodigg
09-11-2004, 05:18 PM
That's one of the things that keeps me in a deck boat. So easy for the old guy to get around!

phebus
09-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Yeah. I hear you. We love our aircraft carrier too.

luckymick
09-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Been troll’n for sometime now. This forum is great for boating information and I appreciate all the boating insight from the members on this board. This has been a great thread to hear how real-world families use their boats and the items they would look for to improve their river/lake experience.
I’ve been boating since the mid-80’s on Havasu. Now I’m a family man and want to avoid the rat-race, thus; I can be found almost always in Mohave (Cottonwood).
As a customer that is currently boatless, I am in the market - (probably early next year) – and, therefore, can relay the important criteria I am currently looking for in a boat (used and/or new).
NOTE: I have very general idea about lay-up schedules, lamination, and/or the boat building process. Some of my suggestions might significantly impact the cost of manufacture, which, I assume Chris, you’re looking to avoid based on your aggressive pricing. None-the-less these are the elements I would like in a new boat:
General Boating Industry
- Fiberglass floors with carpet in-lay (minimize/avoid wood?)
- Enough room at the bow for a (fiberglass lined) anchor locker (already suggested)
- Wake-board storage, fiberglass lined (I would imagine the carpet would get moldy?)
- Trash can: Excellent idea. Have seen this a couple of times in the production boat industry (Baja’s Islander series). However, the trash can’s have been too small. This is a great idea as tying a bag to the helm seat isn’t really a good/sanitary option.
If it is not “uncouth” I’d like to provide suggestions based on great ideas from your competitor’s boats… some of witch – on paper – look like really great ideas:
- Wake board storage on the back side of the rear bench within the engine compartment.
- Folding bimini, collapsing into the engine compartment (e.g.: Cobra 270 Razor)
- Fiberglass (plexiglass?) separators next to the engine
- “Glove-box” on the passenger side
Improvements based on the extensive picture gallery on your website:
- Make a fiberglass backing to the helm controls/gauges (upper roof area within the mid-cuddy). That pull down fabric is a very cheap solution. I can tell you have the desire to “do it right” and making a fiberglass backing and providing a hinged door to access the gages would be “doing right”.
- Improve the stereo equipment. I’ll pay the extra few hundred for a clarion solution
- You’re stereo wiring was visible between helm back and amp within the mid-cuddy seat. Don’t know if that was for picture purposes, but my fiberglass backing solution to the helm/passenger area would solve this issue. Make conduit piping during lay-up for all wiring?
- As with all manufactures I would think drains in the bow/mid-cuddy to move water out of the cabin on those monsoonal days.
I have great respect for all of the entrepreneurials within this industry. The west-coast boating industry is the poster child of the American-way and I think it’s too cool. Chris, Froggystyle, and TP are great examples of this spirit and I’m in admiration of these folks. :cool:
I provide my feedback as suggestions to make your product better; not in criticism. Hope it helps!
Mike…

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey Chris, have you any ideas on how you could make a midcabin with flip up roof so that when at rest or docking you could open up the tops and walk upright to the front?
new for 2005, the Stealth 252 mid cabin flip/convertable/star gazer/top! Hey what a great idea for those night rides made for two!
Thats a hell of an idea you just came up with.
What your talking about is a molded removable Targa Top for a boat..
Thats really an awesome idea.
I am going to have to spend some time thinking about what it would take to do something like this.
Right off the top of my head, I don't see any good reason at all why we couldn't do it!

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
NOTE: I have very general idea about lay-up schedules, lamination, and/or the boat building process. Some of my suggestions might significantly impact the cost of manufacture, which, I assume Chris, you’re looking to avoid based on your aggressive pricing. None-the-less these are the elements I would like in a new boat:
General Boating Industry
- Fiberglass floors with carpet in-lay (minimize/avoid wood?)
- Enough room at the bow for a (fiberglass lined) anchor locker (already suggested)
- Wake-board storage, fiberglass lined (I would imagine the carpet would get moldy?)
- Trash can: Excellent idea. Have seen this a couple of times in the production boat industry (Baja’s Islander series). However, the trash can’s have been too small. This is a great idea as tying a bag to the helm seat isn’t really a good/sanitary option.
If it is not “uncouth” I’d like to provide suggestions based on great ideas from your competitor’s boats… some of witch – on paper – look like really great ideas:
- Wake board storage on the back side of the rear bench within the engine compartment.
- Folding bimini, collapsing into the engine compartment (e.g.: Cobra 270 Razor)
- Fiberglass (plexiglass?) separators next to the engine
- “Glove-box” on the passenger side
Improvements based on the extensive picture gallery on your website:
- Make a fiberglass backing to the helm controls/gauges (upper roof area within the mid-cuddy). That pull down fabric is a very cheap solution. I can tell you have the desire to “do it right” and making a fiberglass backing and providing a hinged door to access the gages would be “doing right”.
- Improve the stereo equipment. I’ll pay the extra few hundred for a clarion solution
- You’re stereo wiring was visible between helm back and amp within the mid-cuddy seat. Don’t know if that was for picture purposes, but my fiberglass backing solution to the helm/passenger area would solve this issue. Make conduit piping during lay-up for all wiring?
- As with all manufactures I would think drains in the bow/mid-cuddy to move water out of the cabin on those monsoonal days.
Mike…
Mike:
What an awesome set of comments.
Thanks for taking the time to really look over the images I posted, some of your suggestions are GOLDEN.
COST:
Dad has laid down the golden rule on this issue.
Keep the boat AFFORDABLE.
Anyone can build a custom boat that costs a fortune, almost no one does it with the goal of making it affordable by the average guy with a wife and a couple kids. Thus that is one of the guiding principle of the business. Make it as nice as we possibly can, but don't let the price start creeping into the stratosphere.
Fiberglass floors
I go back and forth on this one.
Some people love it, others hate it.
There does not seem to be any consensus out there.
Dad used to offer all of the cheetahs with full glass inerliners on them.
Then he cut them all out because too many people complained about them.
Making a full inner liner is a big deal, its a 3rd mold for the boat. It raises the weight and the cost of the boat quite a bit. We have been talking about offering an inner liner for the 252 for the last year. Have not yet made the mold. If enough people asked for it, I would like to see how it looks. But thus far it just has not been requested enough to justify the tooling costs.
On our new deck boat, I am going to a full innerliner.
Bow Locker:
Someone suggested this last week, as we are now looking in to what it will take to have a custom hatch made for us. Our bow is not flat, but has a rib running right down the middle, so no existing hatch cover that we have come across will work. I LOVE the idea, and am working to make it part of the 2005 edition.
Wake-board storage:
With the help of some of the other people on this forum, we are working on that right now. Had no plans on fiberglassing the compartment though. With the heat out here, mold is very seldom a real problem. Good drainage will be the key, that and remembering to leave the access pannel open after use.
Trash can:
This is happening for sure. I think we are going to position it in the engine bay compartment on the passenger side. Should be big enough to hold a large Hefty trash bag. Looking at build some kind of a collapsible framework, so that if you do not want to use it, you have NOT lost any of the storage space it would normally use up.
Rear Bench Storage.
One of the major changes for the 2005 Stealth will be the move from a wood and carpet hatch cover to a fully glassed underliner. This will be done in conjunction with a fully glassed rear bench seat. The problem is...
The rear seat will now be split into 2 sections. The lower 1/3rd of the seat back will be part of the Bench itself, while the upper 2/3rds will be part of the engine hatch cover. Thus to be able to use the seat back as possible storage would require you to FULLY open the engine hatch and reach up underneath it to get access to your skis. If the hatch opens up high enough this "might" be a workable solution. But right now I don't know if we are going to get 65 degrees or 85 degrees of opening when the hatch rams fully extend. Some of this stuff is still trial and error when you get right down to it. The other problem is that to really make it work, we will need to move the rear seat bench forward a couple inches to increase the amount of dead space in front of the engine. Doing that will consume PRECIOUS cabin space and I am not sure if that is a good trade off or not....
Folding bimini,
Certainly a nice touch.
All it requires is that we raise up the height of the rear engine hatch.
The drawback is that it changes the look of the boat some. its back to that Low Hatch vs. High Hatch look thing...There is no right or wrong on this one, just personal oppinion...
Fiberglass Engine Seperators:
Making the mold as we speak.
Should be ready for December boats.
Glove Box
Making the mold for the curved faceplate as we speak.
Fiberglass backing to the helm
What a great idea!
Never even thought about it.
This is what happens when you get too close to the boat for too long.
Some of the obvious things are just not obvious at all!
Adding this to the TO DO list..
Stereo Equipment:
The sky is the limit on this one.
The www site does NOT begin to do justice to what we offer.
its almost always 100% Custom for each customer.
All your comments were great.
Thanks again for taking the time to offer them, they are NOT falling on deaf ears!!

phebus
09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I am going to have to spend some time thinking about what it would take to do something like this.
Right off the top of my head, I don't see any good reason at all why we couldn't do it!
I would think that if they were "wing" type hatches that came in from either side and met in the middle when closed, but when opened would fold up and then drop into a pocket along the gunnel (like a pocket door) they would be awesome. The advantage would be that when closed they would seal off the compartment, but when opened they would completely disappear without causing a storage issue. A completely self contained retractable type system.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Something you typically only see on deckboats, a washdown system to clean your feet off when getting in. Maybe somewhere up near the front in the open bow section, not on the outside of the boat.

nodigg
09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks Chris, Now that you have that one done, j/k, make sure we can close off the front of the cuddy to keep the wind out when we want to!
Next, how about a ladder that comes up (hidden) and out over the bow to board/disembark when beached. With a shower nearby of course. One of the huge advantages to a deck boat is the ease of getting in/out when beached.
Do you offer a wake board tower with quick disconnect already?

phebus
09-13-2004, 01:44 PM
With all the suggestions that would make the boat like a "deckboat", why don't those that like all the features of a deckboat, just buy a deckboat. Deckboats are the perfect family boat. :D

nodigg
09-13-2004, 01:51 PM
With all the suggestions that would make the boat like a "deckboat", why don't those that like all the features of a deckboat, just buy a deckboat. Deckboats are the perfect family boat. :D
Actually I do have a deck boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1865no_doubt_running_damrunII.jpg
My reasoning is that I want all the great features a deckboat has to offer and the stuff we cannot have. Like the cuddy and better rough water capability and safety. I did read one member was having a cuddy bench made into Conquest. I gotta check into that and see how it came out.

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Something you typically only see on deckboats, a washdown system to clean your feet off when getting in. Maybe somewhere up near the front in the open bow section, not on the outside of the boat.
That is something we currently offer!

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 01:58 PM
And that is why the 2nd hull in the Stealth lineup for 2005 WILL be a deckboat.

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Actually I do have a deck boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1865no_doubt_running_damrunII.jpg
My reasoning is that I want all the great features a deckboat has to offer and the stuff we cannot have. Like the cuddy and better rough water capability and safety. I did read one member was having a cuddy bench made into Conquest. I gotta check into that and see how it came out.
Mike had us make a Mid-Cuddy insert for him, so that he ended up with a small sleeping area in the Mid-Cuddy for his kids. It works great for them.

nodigg
09-13-2004, 02:08 PM
And that is why the 2nd hull in the Stealth lineup for 2005 WILL be a deckboat.
24 or 28?

hot_diggity_dog
09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Mike had us make a Mid-Cuddy insert for him, so that he ended up with a small sleeping area in the Mid-Cuddy for his kids. It works great for them.
Chris I didn't get a chance to talk to you because you were selling a boat on Saturday, but that was me in the office! :wink:
Yes the famous HDD :supp: in person :D

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 04:19 PM
24 or 28?
More than 24 but less than 28.

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Chris I didn't get a chance to talk to you because you were selling a boat on Saturday, but that was me in the office! :wink:
Yes the famous HDD :supp: in person :D
DOG gone it.
I had no idea who you were.
And yes, I was right smack in the middle of a new boat order.
And this guy is going to get one sweet boat.
the graphics package he picked out might well be the best looking stealth we have ever made. If it comes off as planned (and with Gelcoat you never really know till its out of the mold) it should look AWESOME!

hot_diggity_dog
09-13-2004, 04:29 PM
DOG gone it.
I had no idea who you were.
And yes, I was right smack in the middle of a new boat order.
And this guy is going to get one sweet boat.
the graphics package he picked out might well be the best looking stealth we have ever made. If it comes off as planned (and with Gelcoat you never really know till its out of the mold) it should look AWESOME!
Now you have the face to the name. Margo has my whole history LOL. :D
Good call on the candy apply red accents!!!!

jdogginla
09-13-2004, 04:33 PM
I know you are looking for specifics and input's on lil extra's, but I can tell you, that being a consumer that has been shopping around for a lil while, I think that the Kachina boat and the options that they come with are by far the best on the market. In doing my research over the last couple of months I haven't figured out why or how Kachina is able to offer soooo much standard equipment while, others charge extra or don't offer it at all. I'm sure you've seen there site......but take a peek at what is standard on there boats and try to follow their lead. Just my .o2

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Now you have the face to the name. Margo has my whole history LOL. :D
Good call on the candy apply red accents!!!!
You really were paying attention.
Margo would be "Mom" around this office.
And yes, I think the boat graphics are going to be simply awesome if we can pull it off in Gelcoat.

Stealth Marine
09-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I know you are looking for specifics and input's on lil extra's, but I can tell you, that being a consumer that has been shopping around for a lil while, I think that the Kachina boat and the options that they come with are by far the best on the market. In doing my research over the last couple of months I haven't figured out why or how Kachina is able to offer soooo much standard equipment while, others charge extra or don't offer it at all. I'm sure you've seen there site......but take a peek at what is standard on there boats and try to follow their lead. Just my .o2
Hey, GO FOR IT.
Tell me WHY the kachina is hot in your oppinion.
I would love to hear what makes you think their boat is the Cat's Meow.
I am totally open to learning from the sucesses and mistakes of others.
If there is something they are doing right that I should be doing as well, I would love to know about it !!

luckymick
09-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Mike:
What an awesome set of comments.
Thanks for taking the time to really look over the images I posted, some of your suggestions are GOLDEN.
COST:
Dad has laid down the golden rule on this issue.
Keep the boat AFFORDABLE.
Anyone can build a custom boat that costs a fortune, almost no one does it with the goal of making it affordable by the average guy with a wife and a couple kids. Thus that is one of the guiding principle of the business. Make it as nice as we possibly can, but don't let the price start creeping into the stratosphere.
OH, I'M WITH YOU THERE!!! I cannot believe the price of boats since I've been seriously looking... WHOA! I know part of it is Mercruiser increases but wow! I've seen some manufactures get a couple of good write up's in the boat mags and pump their prices 20+ %! I'm all for the affordable strategy, hence my "pre-qualifier".
Fiberglass floors
I go back and forth on this one.
Some people love it, others hate it.
There does not seem to be any consensus out there.
Dad used to offer all of the cheetahs with full glass inerliners on them.
Then he cut them all out because too many people complained about them.
Making a full inner liner is a big deal, its a 3rd mold for the boat. It raises the weight and the cost of the boat quite a bit. We have been talking about offering an inner liner for the 252 for the last year. Have not yet made the mold. If enough people asked for it, I would like to see how it looks. But thus far it just has not been requested enough to justify the tooling costs.
On our new deck boat, I am going to a full innerliner.
At least you've considred the pro's/con's to the customer's needs not just a "net revenue" decision (although important). I respect that!
Bow Locker:
Someone suggested this last week, as we are now looking in to what it will take to have a custom hatch made for us. Our bow is not flat, but has a rib running right down the middle, so no existing hatch cover that we have come across will work. I LOVE the idea, and am working to make it part of the 2005 edition.
Cool! :D
Wake-board storage:
With the help of some of the other people on this forum, we are working on that right now. Had no plans on fiberglassing the compartment though. With the heat out here, mold is very seldom a real problem. Good drainage will be the key, that and remembering to leave the access pannel open after use.
You're right. Was thinking the damp/over-cast climate here in So. OC. Makes perfect sense. I've done a lot of off-shore and maybe need to adjust my perspective.
Trash can:
This is happening for sure. I think we are going to position it in the engine bay compartment on the passenger side. Should be big enough to hold a large Hefty trash bag. Looking at build some kind of a collapsible framework, so that if you do not want to use it, you have NOT lost any of the storage space it would normally use up.
That's a solid, simple, and universal upgrade. Good stuff!
Rear Bench Storage.
One of the major changes for the 2005 Stealth will be the move from a wood and carpet hatch cover to a fully glassed underliner. This will be done in conjunction with a fully glassed rear bench seat. The problem is...
The rear seat will now be split into 2 sections. The lower 1/3rd of the seat back will be part of the Bench itself, while the upper 2/3rds will be part of the engine hatch cover. Thus to be able to use the seat back as possible storage would require you to FULLY open the engine hatch and reach up underneath it to get access to your skis. If the hatch opens up high enough this "might" be a workable solution. But right now I don't know if we are going to get 65 degrees or 85 degrees of opening when the hatch rams fully extend. Some of this stuff is still trial and error when you get right down to it. The other problem is that to really make it work, we will need to move the rear seat bench forward a couple inches to increase the amount of dead space in front of the engine. Doing that will consume PRECIOUS cabin space and I am not sure if that is a good trade off or not....
Definitely have to balance needs. At least you considered it!
Folding bimini,
Certainly a nice touch.
All it requires is that we raise up the height of the rear engine hatch.
The drawback is that it changes the look of the boat some. its back to that Low Hatch vs. High Hatch look thing...There is no right or wrong on this one, just personal oppinion...
I with ya. I know that the bimini gets in the way when I'm on my friends 30' baja. I like the approach Cobra took... shows that there is a solution so one does not have to dismantal/re-assemble a bimini each time out!
Fiberglass Engine Seperators:
Making the mold as we speak.
Cool!
Glove Box
Making the mold for the curved faceplate as we speak.
Cool!
Fiberglass backing to the helm
What a great idea!
Never even thought about it.
This is what happens when you get too close to the boat for too long.
Some of the obvious things are just not obvious at all!
Adding this to the TO DO list..
Glad to suggest... yes, all too often I'm too close to my projects and miss the obvious things (usually when I'm presenting to my boss :mad: )
Stereo Equipment:
The sky is the limit on this one.
The www site does NOT begin to do justice to what we offer.
its almost always 100% Custom for each customer.
Absolutely, understand. Definitely an individual choice!
All your comments were great.
Thanks again for taking the time to offer them, they are NOT falling on deaf ears!!
Thank you for listening. I just bought an Inifiniti (8 mos ago). Their customer sat surveys are: "how good are we doing?" vs. "how do you think we're doing?". Subtle difference, they're looking for positive feedback but might be missing the 'critical' feedback.
Maybe next spring I'll pop by and check out the operation. Would love to see how boats are constructed a to z. I'm a bit of an operations dork and am always interested in the manufacturing process.
Take care!
Mike

luckymick
09-13-2004, 05:16 PM
sorry about the confustion on the quotes... was trying to add my $0.02.
New to this whole thread/quote thing... Wasn't trying to modify/change your response... :notam:
Mike

jdogginla
09-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey, GO FOR IT.
Tell me WHY the kachina is hot in your oppinion.
I would love to hear what makes you think their boat is the Cat's Meow.
I am totally open to learning from the sucesses and mistakes of others.
If there is something they are doing right that I should be doing as well, I would love to know about it !!
I thought I was pretty neutral in my response, and was just adding my .02. I wasn't trying to take this thread into another direction......i.e. Stealth vs Kachina. But here's my .02 on Kachina. I certainly don't think that they are the, as you put "cat's meow." There are much better boats out there, that are sleeker, maybe a lil stronger, a lil more customer service oriented and what not. But being an ENTRY level consumer, I think that Kachina is a lot of Bang for the Buck. I'm not the guy out on the lake that will be the fastest, but I will be the guy on the lake that has a solid boat with a decent hull design, great amenities on the boat, and gr8 graphics ( I haven't seen anyone who does a nicer paint job, grant it the paint doesn't make it handle better, but looks don't hurt). When doing my research, the Kachina name kept coming up from people I talked to as a decent boat for the money. Would I like to have a 29' shockwave, or a Lavey, or shit, why not a DCB something of that calibur? Sure, but after add on's and what not..........I'm way out of my price range. Kachina is simply a lot of bang for the buck and a decent ride, period.
So again........I'm sure you make a nice boat, and wasn't in any way knocking it. You asked what extra's and goodies we would like to see on a boat, and I simply stated that as I consumer I have noticed and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but Kachina offers a ton of standard options with their rigs. You as builder I would think would take a look at their list and maybe try to offer similar items............since you asked for opinons. Now, since I haven't laid out my $$$$ for my Kachina yet, what makes a Stealth boat the "cat's meow". Please enlighten this newbie :notam:

MagicMtnDan
09-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks for asking for peoples' input - it's a good thing when a manufacturer asks for customer input.
Along these lines there are two things I've brought up in the past on these forums - one is simple and one is a bit "out there."
1. I don't know what the usable width is inside the cuddy but I've always hoped it could be turned into at least 6' usable width (even if it means removing the seatback cushions to open up the space. My idea is to maximize the usable width in the cuddy cabin and have a cushion fill in between the seats that face each other making a bed. I know these seats are often turned into a small pad for the kiddies but I've wanted the cuddy to be adult-friendly and have at least 6' usable width for the sleeping area/pad/bed. On the larger boats I assume this is doable. And the backrests when removed could, in theory, be used to fill in the space in between the two seats.
2. I've talked about this before - I think having a "convertible open bow" would be awesome! Most folks seem to like the look of a closed bow but they just don't seem to be all that usable. I know many use the cabin area but let's face it, unless you're a hardcore ocean boater you probably want an open bow so you can bring more friends, access the bow/anchor much more easily and open the boat up to the breeze for some natural cooling when running at the lake or river.
There are a few possible ways to make a boat that looks like it has a closed bow but is "convertible" and can be opened up. A two-piece fiberglass cover with gel to match the rest of the top deck would work. It cold be supported underneath by a leg(s) that will allow people to sit or walk on the lid. It's also possible that this lid could be a sliding unit that slides out of sight in a couple of pieces (left and right). It's a bit of a long shot but I think it's possible.
They key to this idea is to minimize the padding that sticks up above the deck protecting the passengers riding/sitting in the open bow. This could be done and still protect them from the sharp/hard edges of the open area. And the open bow cover would need to be as flat as possible to look right.
Boat makers do all kinds of things that are difficult. This one's not so simple but it sure is way cool and would be a great thing to have on a custom boat!
Thanks for listening. :boxed:

dicudmore
09-14-2004, 06:48 AM
I thought I was pretty neutral in my response, and was just adding my .02. I wasn't trying to take this thread into another direction......i.e. Stealth vs Kachina. But here's my .02 on Kachina. I certainly don't think that they are the, as you put "cat's meow." There are much better boats out there, that are sleeker, maybe a lil stronger, a lil more customer service oriented and what not. But being an ENTRY level consumer, I think that Kachina is a lot of Bang for the Buck. I'm not the guy out on the lake that will be the fastest, but I will be the guy on the lake that has a solid boat with a decent hull design, great amenities on the boat, and gr8 graphics ( I haven't seen anyone who does a nicer paint job, grant it the paint doesn't make it handle better, but looks don't hurt). When doing my research, the Kachina name kept coming up from people I talked to as a decent boat for the money. Would I like to have a 29' shockwave, or a Lavey, or shit, why not a DCB something of that calibur? Sure, but after add on's and what not..........I'm way out of my price range. Kachina is simply a lot of bang for the buck and a decent ride, period.
So again........I'm sure you make a nice boat, and wasn't in any way knocking it. You asked what extra's and goodies we would like to see on a boat, and I simply stated that as I consumer I have noticed and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but Kachina offers a ton of standard options with their rigs. You as builder I would think would take a look at their list and maybe try to offer similar items............since you asked for opinons. Now, since I haven't laid out my $$$$ for my Kachina yet, what makes a Stealth boat the "cat's meow". Please enlighten this newbie :notam:
JDOGG I don't think Stealth took any offense to what you said about Kachina. I think they basically wondered what in your opinion Louie and Kachina are doing that they Stealth as a builder should be doing also....
What makes the Stealth the cat's meow? Not being an owner, but it appears that they operate on a similar principal as Kachina, and others like Cheetah...
Build the nicest boat that they can for a reasonable amount of $$$.
Also, some of that $$$ savings vs say the DCB or others you mentioned is that they try to make a FAIR profit off of each boat (I think Chris said 10%) and not a killing...Louie operates the same way. For instance with his unlimited gel/paint colors/graphics. Some cost him more than others but work out to a good average....

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Thank you for listening. I just bought an Inifiniti (8 mos ago). Their customer sat surveys are: "how good are we doing?" vs. "how do you think we're doing?". Subtle difference, they're looking for positive feedback but might be missing the 'critical' feedback.
Maybe next spring I'll pop by and check out the operation. Would love to see how boats are constructed a to z. I'm a bit of an operations dork and am always interested in the manufacturing process.
Take care!
Mike
The shop is always open to visitors and we do all the construction right here so your welcome to wander around and take a look..

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Please don't misunderstand me.
I REALLY WANTED you to tell me what you liked about their boat.!!
I wasn't responding that you were knocking my boat in the least by saying you liked their's.
There is MORE than enough room in this industry for people to have a WIDE choice of boat manufacturers and unlimited choices in "Look & Feel" options. And thats a GOOD thing in my oppinion, not a bad thing at all.
The whole point of this thread is to pick everyone's brain, to see what people are looking for, to find out whats catching you eye this year. and since most boaters already have a boat, that suggests that I will get a lot of feedback from current owners about things on their boats they love, and things they really wish they had.
Graphics are a biggie to be sure.
And when you get away from Gel-Coating and go back to painting or air-brushing, you can come up with some KILLER graphics. Stuff that a gel coater simply can not begin to touch. And Kachina is certainly interested in the "Look" of their boats!

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks for asking for peoples' input - it's a good thing when a manufacturer asks for customer input.
Along these lines there are two things I've brought up in the past on these forums - one is simple and one is a bit "out there."
1. I don't know what the usable width is inside the cuddy but I've always hoped it could be turned into at least 6' usable width (even if it means removing the seatback cushions to open up the space. My idea is to maximize the usable width in the cuddy cabin and have a cushion fill in between the seats that face each other making a bed. I know these seats are often turned into a small pad for the kiddies but I've wanted the cuddy to be adult-friendly and have at least 6' usable width for the sleeping area/pad/bed. On the larger boats I assume this is doable. And the backrests when removed could, in theory, be used to fill in the space in between the two seats.
2. I've talked about this before - I think having a "convertible open bow" would be awesome! Most folks seem to like the look of a closed bow but they just don't seem to be all that usable. I know many use the cabin area but let's face it, unless you're a hardcore ocean boater you probably want an open bow so you can bring more friends, access the bow/anchor much more easily and open the boat up to the breeze for some natural cooling when running at the lake or river.
There are a few possible ways to make a boat that looks like it has a closed bow but is "convertible" and can be opened up. A two-piece fiberglass cover with gel to match the rest of the top deck would work. It cold be supported underneath by a leg(s) that will allow people to sit or walk on the lid. It's also possible that this lid could be a sliding unit that slides out of sight in a couple of pieces (left and right). It's a bit of a long shot but I think it's possible.
They key to this idea is to minimize the padding that sticks up above the deck protecting the passengers riding/sitting in the open bow. This could be done and still protect them from the sharp/hard edges of the open area. And the open bow cover would need to be as flat as possible to look right.
Boat makers do all kinds of things that are difficult. This one's not so simple but it sure is way cool and would be a great thing to have on a custom boat!
If you don't ask, you will never find out !!
CUDDY WIDTH:
In most boats, certainly with mine, but the time you are into the mid cuddy you are also in the narrowing section of the boat. Usually in a shorter boat the hull begins to narrow just ahead of the driver (30ft and above don't have this problem) and a lot of the narrowing happens along the bottom as well as the sides. This means to get the Max width from the mid cuddy you would have to build up the floor, in effect lowering the ceiling closer to the occupant.
What could be done??
I suppose a possible solution would be to have removable seat backs just like you mentioned. That would open up a chunk of space that could be used to allow someone to lay down at a diagonal across the mid-cuddy seats with a middle insert cushion. Might not be perfect, but I think an average guy could probably crawl in there and lay down. If someone asked for that configuration I think we would be able to build it for them.
CONVERTIBLE OPEN BOW.
This would not be all that hard.
For us at least, we layup ALL of the stealths in the mold as CLOSED BOW boats. Then we cut through the upper deck and convert them into Open bows. This means we are always left with the original upper deck as a single sheet of fiberglass. If someone was to ask us to recycle that back into an insert that could be used to close up the bow, with a little creative thought and some strapping and attachments I think we could probably come up with a way to set it right back in the hole ontop of the seat cushions and pretty well seal up the open bow once again. No one has thus far requested it, but I think its pretty doable.

nodigg
09-14-2004, 07:35 AM
On which boat?

nodigg
09-14-2004, 07:37 AM
More than 24 but less than 28.
Awesome, a 24 Cheetah FastCast with a built in two level swim step! I MAY have to sit back and wait for that new Magic again....

nodigg
09-14-2004, 07:59 AM
1. I don't know what the usable width is inside the cuddy but I've always hoped it could be turned into at least 6' usable width (even if it means removing the seatback cushions to open up the space.
2. I've talked about this before - I think having a "convertible open bow" would be awesome!
The sleeping pad and convertable bow and/or cuddy like I mentioned earlier would be a great sales tool for sure. How wide is the hull at it widest Chris? 102??

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 08:18 AM
On which boat?
His stealth 252.

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Awesome, a 24 Cheetah FastCast with a built in two level swim step! I MAY have to sit back and wait for that new Magic again....
Our new deck boat will in NO way resemble the Cheetah.
it will be much more like the Conquest/Magic/Sleekcraft style.
Much lower to the water than the cheetah is or the advantage are.

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 09:02 AM
CURRENT SUGGESTIONS SUBMITTED SO FAR:
Dual-Quick Release Bimini Connectors
(Will be a Customer Requestable Option)
Fold Out Table
Discussing related engineering problems
Would like to offer this as a standard feature.
Larger Ski Locker (to fit a Wake Board) With Mid-Cuddy entrance
In-Cabin Integrated Ice Cooler with Drain
Will now be Standard on 2005 models
Integrated Trash Can
Working on it
More Storage Space in general
Working on it
Rear Facing Seats/Swivel Seats
Small Air Compressor
Two Level Swim Step
Colored/LED Lights in Cabin
Considering it
Engine Hatch Wake Board Holder
Bow Locker/Ice chest with Drain
Glassed in Ice Chest area with Drain
Engine bay access to side gunnel storage area
Electric Self-Erecting Stern Light
Stereo that allows I-Pod interface
checking supplier availability
Offer a soft sided American Outdoors style cooler as an alternative to the conventional ridgid cooler
Walk-through Open bow with a coverable Mid-Cuddy
Ala Removable Targa Cover, or hindged tops.
Allow Bimini to fold down below engine hatch.
Fiberglass the back of the control Helm and passenger glove box
Convertible Mid-Cuddy
Fiberglass Engine Bay Dividers

Slib77
09-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Sounds good Chris.
Are you guys going to be in Long Beach for the boat show?
There are a couple ways you can do the I-Pod. Unfortunately they do not offer an actual docking station. If you would like help in this you can contact me. Jus PM me and I can give you my number. Our guys are pretty familiar with boat stereos and can come up with a solution.
Serge
GEARTECH MOBILE MULTI MEDIA

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Sounds good Chris.
Are you guys going to be in Long Beach for the boat show?
There are a couple ways you can do the I-Pod. Unfortunately they do not offer an actual docking station. If you would like help in this you can contact me. Jus PM me and I can give you my number. Our guys are pretty familiar with boat stereos and can come up with a solution.
Serge
GEARTECH MOBILE MULTI MEDIA
To go to a show requires that you have a DEMO boat to show!
At the moment we are BOATLESS as I sold the demo to a guy on Labor day..

Slib77
09-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Got it. :D

redi4fun
09-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Chris,
I have been watching this thread for awhile and I got to say that it really sounds like you are really interested in building a solid boat for your customers at a fair profit. The 25 foot Stealth looks great and the ideas that everyone is throwing your way for future models are all things I would not mind having in a boat. I am really looking forward to seeing the deckboat that Stealth is going to build. Just from the description of the hull and the size of the boat I can tell you that I am very interested in the Stealth deck. Is the bottom of the boat based on something that is currently out? When do you expect to have something to show us? Drawings, a model, etc. I can tell you this. If this thing is somewhere between 25 and 28 ft, has the lines of a Magic deck, rides well in the water with a decent amount of power and is affordable, you will most definitely have me taking a very hard look at the boat. :D

Slib77
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
What he said. ;)

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Chris,
I have been watching this thread for awhile and I got to say that it really sounds like you are really interested in building a solid boat for your customers at a fair profit. The 25 foot Stealth looks great and the ideas that everyone is throwing your way for future models are all things I would not mind having in a boat. I am really looking forward to seeing the deckboat that Stealth is going to build. Just from the description of the hull and the size of the boat I can tell you that I am very interested in the Stealth deck. Is the bottom of the boat based on something that is currently out? When do you expect to have something to show us? Drawings, a model, etc. I can tell you this. If this thing is somewhere between 25 and 28 ft, has the lines of a Magic deck, rides well in the water with a decent amount of power and is affordable, you will most definitely have me taking a very hard look at the boat. :D
Sometimes I wonder if I should keep my mouth shut on this project.
I now have three people lined up to pre-pay for a boat THAT DOES NOT YET EXIST!!
I am a good 6 months away from having anything that I would be willing to show anyone outside of my family. I think it will be a lovely boat, very modern and in the form of the current crop of fast/sleek looking deckboats. But for the most part it is just vaporwear at this point. The mold has MONTHS of hard work ahead of it. God willing, I will have our first hull out of the mold by late spring. At that point, when there is a REAL boat made from it, I will release photos. Till then, its my winter/Spring project.....

PHX ATC
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I should keep my mouth shut on this project.
I now have three people lined up to pre-pay for a boat THAT DOES NOT YET EXIST!!
I am a good 6 months away from having anything that I would be willing to show anyone outside of my family.
The mold has MONTHS of hard work ahead of it.
Till then, its my winter/Spring project.....
For God's sake man, get off the boards and get to WORK!!! :D :D

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 03:42 PM
For God's sake man, get off the boards and get to WORK!!! :D :D
Hey, I may well be the only guy on this board that is getting PAID to post !!

Slib77
09-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Chris.
How about drop down bolsters. I did not see them as an option on your site.
And
Scissor style lifts for the hatch.
Keep up the great work.
Serge

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Chris.
How about drop down bolsters. I did not see them as an option on your site.
And
Keep up the great work.
Serge
I don't know about that.
I have been asked, but I just don't know.
To really make good use of drop out bolsters, you need a reasonabley tall seat. And out seat bases normally run in the 12" range.
I don't think we can build a decent drop out system with such a low seat base??
And I am not sure anyone would want us to raise up the seat and put there head that much higher in the windstream...

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Chris.
Serge
We are in the process of modifying the mold for the boat to allow the use of both the hidden hinges and the hydraulic scissor lifts. Both requires some structural changes to the mold itself. Should be done by the end of October and begin to surface in the 2005 boats from November forward...

Slib77
09-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Understood. Thanks.

redi4fun
09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Just keep us informed. :rollside: :cool:

Stealth Marine
09-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Little chance of that not happening.
I am AMAZED at the number of people that are walking into my shop here in havasu that have read this thread. I would have never guessed this online community was as large as it is.
Rest assured I will be around here for a good long time.
It just makes good business sence.
Not to mention that it has provided me with a wealth of consumer information that I would have been hard pressed to obtain otherwise.

Slib77
09-14-2004, 04:10 PM
You have definetely been a class act. You have not come on here and flamed anyones products. And your asking people on this board on how to make things better. Not everyone takes that extra step.
Gotta go second period has started.

raff
09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
My wife and I are looking into upgrading into a boat this size and price range.
It seems like a good value, but we noticed that you sold you demo boat over the holiday. We would like to set up a demo ride, let us know when you will have another one rigged, will make an appointment with you.
We will be out in October, or if later, just let us know. Very interested.
Mark out

phuggit
09-14-2004, 10:27 PM
1. Another vote for a bimini that stows away under the engine hatch.
2. Angled foot rests under the dash, between the floor and front bulkhead, to help brace yourself.
3. A real non-skid surface on the swim step.
4. Hidden hinges for the engine cover/sun pad.

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 06:35 AM
My wife and I are looking into upgrading into a boat this size and price range.
It seems like a good value, but we noticed that you sold you demo boat over the holiday. We would like to set up a demo ride, let us know when you will have another one rigged, will make an appointment with you.
We will be out in October, or if later, just let us know. Very interested.
Mark out
Don't ya just HATE IT when that happens!
A new hull should be in the mold this week.
That will be our next DEMO boat.
In the meantime we are in the process of rigging up the boat you see at the very bottom of our home page. This is going to be a Demo boat that will be living at Lake Elsinore. It should be done in a few weeks. If its still here in Havasu when you come by, we can go out in it. If not, we might have our own demo built by then, and if thats not available, there is a reasonably good chance that I could hook you up with another Stealth Owner that would just love to show off there new boat.
Most of the folks that have bought my boats have been pretty darn friendly and would be more than happy to take someone out for a ride if I had no boat available.
Just let me know when your planning on being in town, and I will get something hooked up for you.

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 06:40 AM
1. Another vote for a bimini that stows away under the engine hatch.
2. Angled foot rests under the dash, between the floor and front bulkhead, to help brace yourself.
3. A real non-skid surface on the swim step.
4. Hidden hinges for the engine cover/sun pad.
HATCH.
Since I am right smack in the middle of making a new engine hatch for the 2005 Stealth we are taking a serious look at the bimini issue. Problem is, I think it will require a rather significant allteration to the mold of the boat. I won't know if we can really do this for at least another 6 weeks or so. The next hull that comes out of the mold will be the test mule for all of these alterations as we work out the final setup details for the 2005 model. It would be a really nice feature and I would like to do it if we can.
FOOTRESTS:
Already a current option.
NON-SKID SURFACE:
Not sure what you mean here. I would consider the texture on our swim step to be Non-Skid. But are you thinking something more along the line of a Jetski traction mat ?? I ask because we are having Jet-Trim here in town build us a prototype that can be placed over the current swim step to make it both softer on the knees as well as much more "grippy" at the same time.
HIDDEN HINGES:
Working on that as a standard feature for 2005.

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 06:49 AM
OK, Had a LONG chat with dear old dad last night about this Deckboat of ours and the seeming ever growing interest in it.
Here are some of the problems we face.
#1. TIME..
Dad wants to be very involved in laying up this new hull, and Cheetah has him 100% employed right now. So there is a time conflict that we are trying to resolve.
#2. TOOL MAKERS.
The people that can build up a last or a plug to be used in making the final mold are FEW and FAR Between. There just are not that many people around that know how to carve out a hull from a block of Balsa and gallons of bondo. Its more of an art than a science.
#3. SPACE.
Both Stealth and Cheetah are MAXED out on square footage, so the project has been going on at a 3rd location, which means non of us are there to shepard it on a daily basis.
#4. BUDGET.
For what its worth, a new hull, from ground up, NOT splashed from someone else, runs about $100,000 from start to finish. So its no insignificant investment, and you REALLY want to get it right the first time around and NOT have to go back and make serious changes to the mold...
With those 4 things considered you can better appreciate why I am being carefull in releasing any specific details about the new boat. There is a ton of work to be done, and its going to take a bunch of months to do it. In spite of the fact that I don't have enough Time, Employees, Space or Budget, I will nevertheless get it done and have something for everyone by early summer 2005.

redi4fun
09-15-2004, 08:47 AM
I cant wait to see this new deckboat of yours. Don't tell dear dad but I was considering a Cheetah deck. Guess I will just have to wait now. :cry:
Thanks Chris

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I cant wait to see this new deckboat of yours. Don't tell dear dad but I was considering a Cheetah deck. Guess I will just have to wait now. :cry:
Thanks Chris
Cheetah is so over-booked right now its not even funny.
I think he is close to 12 months out on his CX-29s and probably 5-6 months out on almost everything else he offers. Sales over there are just plain awesome.
But if your seriously considering a Cheetah you might not be interested in what Stealth is working on. The boats will have almost nothing in common at all besides the engine and outdrive. The look & Feel could not be more different either.

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Cheetah is so over-booked right now its not even funny.
I think he is close to 12 months out on his CX-29s and probably 5-6 months out on almost everything else he offers. Sales over there are just plain awesome.
But if your seriously considering a Cheetah you might not be interested in what Stealth is working on. The boats will have almost nothing in common at all besides the engine and outdrive. The look & Feel could not be more different either.
12 months on the CX-29 ???
WOW....
So much for that hull being the best kept secret on the river :D

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
12 months on the CX-29 ???
WOW....
So much for that hull being the best kept secret on the river :D
Of all the boats he makes, the CX-29 takes the most man hours, and is his least favorite to build, thus he sells fewer of them, and the wait is that much longer... I think it is safe to say you will never see tons of them on the river unless stealth decides to pick up the hull and run with it at some point.
But right now I am looking at stretching the 252 and making it into a 275 or a 280.

Slib77
09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
But right now I am looking at stretching the 252 and making it into a 275 or a 280.[/QUOTE]
Now we are talking. More room in the cuddy. Yesh, yesh.

nodigg
09-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Of all the boats he makes, the CX-29 takes the most man hours, and is his least favorite to build, thus he sells fewer of them, and the wait is that much longer... I think it is safe to say you will never see tons of them on the river unless stealth decides to pick up the hull and run with it at some point.
But right now I am looking at stretching the 252 and making it into a 275 or a 280.
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Now we are talking. More room in the cuddy. Yesh, yesh.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, pretty much.
I would like to add 1 foot to the Mid cuddy area and may 18 inches to the cockpit.
But I am not sure its worth the tooling cost right now to do it.
Would cost me around $30-$40,000 to make that change as it would require a good hull be destroyed and a whole new mold made as well.
So its something I "Want" to do, but it might have to wait till after the deckboat project is completed. Might be the new hull for 2006.

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
but ya got to admit the lines on it are pretty sexy :idea: :D

RP1
09-15-2004, 11:35 AM
I would like to see your 25' without a windshield and maybe raise the dash to compensate.

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 01:25 PM
but ya got to admit the lines on it are pretty sexy :idea: :D
Agreed.
Looking forward to the first one we build out as a custom job this winter...

Stealth Marine
09-15-2004, 01:27 PM
I would like to see your 25' without a windshield and maybe raise the dash to compensate.
Hmmm
Not sure what it would look like.
The windsheild was designed to be part of the dashboard.
If its not there, there will be a very clear line all the way around the dash showing where it was supposed to be.
I would think that the only good way to remove it, would be to lay up the hull with some custom graphics that camoflauge that rib line where it would normally sit. With that done you might pull it off OK.

Bre
09-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Just wanted to say that I think this thread is awesome..... nice to see a boat builder doing...or trying to do what the customer wants/needs.

Stealth Marine
09-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Just wanted to say that I think this thread is awesome..... nice to see a boat builder doing...or trying to do what the customer wants/needs.
Thanks for the kind words.
I was just talking to the tool maker about the mold changes for 2005.
Submitted my wish list, and now begins the process of seeing what we can really do, vs. what I want to do.
Decided to see what the cost of an inner liner would be, just for kicks and grins.
Started the process of lengthening the boat to 28 as well. Looks like that will set me back a chunk of change...

Racer277
09-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree, I'm very impressed. We'll be visiting Stealth next summer, right after Cheetah! Hopefully it will be a good winter for us! :cool:

Stealth Marine
09-21-2004, 07:59 AM
I agree, I'm very impressed. We'll be visiting Stealth next summer, right after Cheetah! Hopefully it will be a good winter for us! :cool:
Oh, I see the patteren here.
You gonna try and pit me against my dad eh?
Well, so long as you end up buying EITHER a Cheetah or a Stealth its OK by me! Its all in the family that way :mix:

dicudmore
09-21-2004, 09:39 AM
family is good :D

Stealth Marine
09-21-2004, 11:13 AM
family is good :D
he he he he.
Well, there IS a certain degree of rivalry going on between us.
He has age and wisdom on his side, I have Youth and Vitality on mine, and I am far less worried about trying something new and exciting. Dad is pretty set in his ways at this point, and can see his retirement in the not so distant future. The salmon in Alaska have been calling his name lately....

simple
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
1/ Add a 12 volt receptacle in the bow & the stern.
2/ A Bimini Top that covers the rear bench passengers.
3/ Wake Board storage on the sides of the engine either attached to the hatch or with foam attachments on the stern so you push the board in to fit & not move. In my boat, the wakebaord is placed on it's side with a vest on each side so it won't bang around.
4/ Rear facing seats - Why doesn't someone out there cut off about 6" up from the base on all 4 stanchions & place a Stainless Steel sleeve over both stanchions. Have a pin(s) that pushed thru the SS rod for easy removal. This way you can simply lift the Driver's & Passenger's seats up & turn them 180 degrees. Once done, place the pins thru the SS rod.

dicudmore
09-21-2004, 12:00 PM
he he he he.
Well, there IS a certain degree of rivalry going on between us.
He has age and wisdom on his side, I have Youth and Vitality on mine, and I am far less worried about trying something new and exciting. Dad is pretty set in his ways at this point, and can see his retirement in the not so distant future. The salmon in Alaska have been calling his name lately....
salmon? alaska? he doesn't offer a boat for those conditions :confused:

Stealth Marine
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
1/ Add a 12 volt receptacle in the bow & the stern.
2/ A Bimini Top that covers the rear bench passengers.
3/ Wake Board storage on the sides of the engine either attached to the hatch or with foam attachments on the stern so you push the board in to fit & not move. In my boat, the wakebaord is placed on it's side with a vest on each side so it won't bang around.
4/ Rear facing seats - Why doesn't someone out there cut off about 6" up from the base on all 4 stanchions & place a Stainless Steel sleeve over both stanchions. Have a pin(s) that pushed thru the SS rod for easy removal. This way you can simply lift the Driver's & Passenger's seats up & turn them 180 degrees. Once done, place the pins thru the SS rod.
#1.
Your the very first to ask for a recepticle in the Bow or the stern.
Thus far we have only offered it on the dashboard.
Have you found your really missing out on the good life for lack of 12 volt power??
#2.
Thats one that has annoyed me as well.
We CAN make them longer, but it has a real impact on the "look" of the boat.
If someone wanted that on their boat, it would be no big deal for us to add a 4th support and lengthen the whole bimini.
#3.
Again, if someone wanted us to configure an internal rack system like that it would be NO problem at all. Just so long as they were willing to sacriface the general storage space on the engine compartment that would be lost to the racks.
#4.
Interesting idea you've come up with.
By willing to pull the seat straight UP and then rotate it, you just solved the problem of flush mounting the side of the seat to the boat. Some other people had suggested making the back of the seat "round" to allow it to pivot in place, but that really didn't work out very well in reality. If someone was willing to pull a sqaure sided seat straight up and then rotate it in the air and drop it back down and lock it into place, it just might work !!

Stealth Marine
09-21-2004, 02:20 PM
salmon? alaska? he doesn't offer a boat for those conditions :confused:
Wellll
there are some other boats Dad makes that are not available to retail customers. One is a rather large cat that runs on twin deisels. It could be a pretty decent fishing boat if it were rigged out for it....

dicudmore
09-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Wellll
there are some other boats Dad makes that are not available to retail customers. One is a rather large cat that runs on twin deisels. It could be a pretty decent fishing boat if it were rigged out for it....
old Elim mold wasn't it? That some Florida putz now owned the mold to
34' ish??? Saw it out front of his shop last summer...Bad looking MOFO :D
Hope Bob stays in Havasu a little longer. I might want another boat in a year or so :idea:

Stealth Marine
09-21-2004, 04:02 PM
old Elim mold wasn't it? That some Florida putz now owned the mold to
34' ish??? Saw it out front of his shop last summer...Bad looking MOFO :D
Hope Bob stays in Havasu a little longer. I might want another boat in a year or so :idea:
The only chance of him moving away from Havasu would be if he could find a place HOTTER. he LOVES the heat with a passion!!

Stealth Marine
09-23-2004, 09:17 AM
INNER LINER ??
Looks like we might just have a shot at doing a "Partial" inner liner on the 2005 Stealth after all.
Was over looking at some molds yesterday and there was one that "looked" like it just might fit the Stealth floor for the Engine Bay, Rear Bench Seat and Driver Passenger Seat area. It would NOT go forward into the mid-cuddy or the Open bow. So it would be Fiberglass in the rear, Carpet in the middle and fore.
Thoughts????

PHX ATC
09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I actually like that idea. FB in the cockpit area where the people spend the most time anyway and the most water gets into and messes, I might add. :rolleyes: Carpet in the midcabin where you want it a bit cushy and the open bow, well, 50/50 split on that one, although for me, carpet is just fine.

Stealth Marine
09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I actually like that idea. FB in the cockpit area where the people spend the most time anyway and the most water gets into and messes, I might add. :rolleyes: Carpet in the midcabin where you want it a bit cushy and the open bow, well, 50/50 split on that one, although for me, carpet is just fine.
It's a thought, just not sure I have ever seen another boat done with a partial inner liner.

PHX ATC
09-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Be a trendsetter. :smile:

Bre
09-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Only problem with having a fiberglass innerliner in the cabin is that if you go to wash it out...it's gonna get water in the mid cabin.... on the carpet and wood... unless they slightly raised the floor so that there was a hill for the water to go down...I just don't see it being good for the wood. Nice idea though.... it would be nice if it could work out. Maybe snappable/removable carpet in the mid cabin that way your not getting the carpet wet... and your not rotting wood??

Stealth Marine
09-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Only problem with having a fiberglass innerliner in the cabin is that if you go to wash it out...it's gonna get water in the mid cabin.... on the carpet and wood... unless they slightly raised the floor so that there was a hill for the water to go down...I just don't see it being good for the wood. Nice idea though.... it would be nice if it could work out. Maybe snappable/removable carpet in the mid cabin that way your not getting the carpet wet... and your not rotting wood??
The mid-cuddy can be made 100% waterproof, and for just the reason you pointed out, I think it would HAVE to be fully sealed.
The question I have is the Aesthetic issue of having a partially white gelcoat floor along with a carpeted floor??

luckymick
09-25-2004, 11:39 AM
It's been about a year-and-a-half since I've been on one, but isn't the Magic Wizard cockpit fiberglass-inlay w/ snap in carpet? Cuddy and bow is carpet (wood)? At least that's the way it looks in pictures on their website?
Also Hallett is that way too... correct (no fiber but teak/holly in the cockpit, carpet in mid-cabin/bow)?
I think you'd be fine. Helm/passenger area is 90% of the traffic anyway... correct? :confused:

SHOTKALLIN
09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
I vote for dumping the windshield, and having the dash take the form of the windshield like RP1 said. To me V bottoms look better without windshields. If your not looking through the windshield then its just a wind deflector. I like your dads 24 tunnel over the 23 for this reason. let the lines of the dash compensate for that. I think that Nordic is the only boat mfg that pulls it off well, however they should change it too.
Secondly, how about hiding the bimini in the engine compartment when in the down position. I was at cobra today and they pull it off very well in the 260 razor. No windshield either.
:)

Stealth Marine
09-27-2004, 06:52 AM
It's been about a year-and-a-half since I've been on one, but isn't the Magic Wizard cockpit fiberglass-inlay w/ snap in carpet? Cuddy and bow is carpet (wood)? At least that's the way it looks in pictures on their website?
Also Hallett is that way too... correct (no fiber but teak/holly in the cockpit, carpet in mid-cabin/bow)?
I think you'd be fine. Helm/passenger area is 90% of the traffic anyway... correct? :confused:
Cool.
If its been done before and it worked, then I am not as far out on the edge as I was thinking.
The next hull we are laying up will be the mule for the 2005 changes.
I will try droping in a cockpit inner-liner in that one and see how it comes out...

Stealth Marine
09-27-2004, 06:55 AM
I vote for dumping the windshield, and having the dash take the form of the windshield like RP1 said. To me V bottoms look better without windshields. If your not looking through the windshield then its just a wind deflector. I like your dads 24 tunnel over the 23 for this reason. let the lines of the dash compensate for that. I think that Nordic is the only boat mfg that pulls it off well, however they should change it too.
Secondly, how about hiding the bimini in the engine compartment when in the down position. I was at cobra today and they pull it off very well in the 260 razor. No windshield either.
:)
The windsheild is clearly a user option. If somebody didn't want one, there would be no issue in NOT mounting it. The key would be to design the proper graphics package for the boat with NO windsheild ever intended. Otherwise I am not so sure it would look all that great with the empty windsheild slot going all the way around the deck.
As for hiding the bimini.
I AM looking into what that would take.
Right now it appears to me a rather Major modification to the boat mold and may prove too costly to pursue. Might also result in the engine hatch having to be raised up a couple inches, as the engine bay fits a 496Mag just about perfectly right now, and doesn't leave a whole lot of top space unused.
But "I" like the idea, and would love to be able to offer it.

desertrat
09-29-2004, 03:44 PM
As for hiding the bimini.
I AM looking into what that would take.
Right now it appears to me a rather Major modification to the boat mold and may prove too costly to pursue. Might also result in the engine hatch having to be raised up a couple inches, as the engine bay fits a 496Mag just about perfectly right now, and doesn't leave a whole lot of top space unused.
But "I" like the idea, and would love to be able to offer it.
You sure there isn't an easier way to do it??

Stealth Marine
09-30-2004, 03:56 PM
You sure there isn't an easier way to do it??
If there is, I don't know what it is.
Having looked at the boat and the mold, I am not sure there is any way to alter it to allow for a hidden Bimini top at all.
Cutting down the rear hull to make a depression would not solve the problem as the support poles would still be above the hatch line.
The only way to bury the bimini is to raise the hatch up high enough to engulf it, and I don't think thats a very good solution at this point. This just might be one of those desired features that can not be retrofitted into our boat.

desertrat
10-08-2004, 10:31 AM
If there is, I don't know what it is.
Having looked at the boat and the mold, I am not sure there is any way to alter it to allow for a hidden Bimini top at all.
Cutting down the rear hull to make a depression would not solve the problem as the support poles would still be above the hatch line.
The only way to bury the bimini is to raise the hatch up high enough to engulf it, and I don't think thats a very good solution at this point. This just might be one of those desired features that can not be retrofitted into our boat.
Make a new boat!

Stealth Marine
10-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Make a new boat!
EASY FOR YOU TO SAY!!
I would LOVE to offer a whole line-up of new models.
But trust me, they don't come cheap!!