PDA

View Full Version : Whats a New rebuilt 455 go for? *SPAM?*

Hallz
09-09-2004, 06:41 PM
A friend of mine just offerd me a sweet deal for a newly rebuilt 454 with forged pistons, worked rods and ARP bolts etc. It is a long block built as a spare for his speedway car but the guy went with a 502 instead.
I am thinking of picking it up but only if I can get a decent price for the Olds and justify converting.
It has been gone through compleatly and never even fired yet.
30 over 10 to 1 forged pistons
Torquer mainifold
restricted mains
doubble roller chain
Coustom deep pan
Comp Cam (276AH) and lifters
G heads
Mallory DP
Ballanced
HP pump
all spec's are documented also.
I am just wondering what it is worth or an Idea of what someone might pay? If I do then I will need the parts to convert, PTO, headers,... etc
Thanks guys!

sidewound
09-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Don't know what it's worth to you but here's my experience.
Blew my 455 2 summers ago. Had the local builder do the build for me. His bill included rebuilding the heads (complete), a couple of valves, line boring, 40 over 9.5-1 aluminum pistons, grinding the crank. Double fitted main and rod bearinds, cam bearings, new gears and timing chain, gaskets and seals, lifters (hydraulic), disassembly, cleaning, magnafluxing and reassembly. Here in backwoods Iowa that cost me 3K.
Their's some numbers for ya.
I sprung for the hv/hp oil pump, 8 qt. pan, carb, intake, valley oil diverter, water pump blockoff, cam, roller rockers, studs, guideplates and hardin logs myself. Add another 15 C's for these. Installed my own oil drainback lines also.
Just my experience. Hope it helps.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

Hallz
09-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks sidewound,
Luckly I did some swap labor for my builder so I did not know what it runs to have one re built. along with all you mentioned he of course re sized the rods, set the piston skirt to cyl wall clearance (.025 or .035 I think) for a boat motor, line honed the mains upgraded the rod bolts, ground the stress risers and shot peened the rods. The block was done with tq plates of course, way too much stuff to remember when you sick lol!
I was wondering if 3-3500 was out of line?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I am trying to figure out what to sell my olds as well. I have a little over $4k in my motor. Hell, I even have start to finish photos;) But you know what they say..................."You never get whatcha paid for it"
396_Ways_Ta_Throw_The_Rooster_Up!

Hallz
09-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I am just looking to consolidate all my motors and parts, I already have 2 BBC's a LS1, 2 SBC and 1 SBF (5.0) going in to my 73 bronco.
I need an Olds or any other motor manufacture like I need a hole in the head!
Getting back to all chevys would be NICE, I would alwase have spare parts to keep the toy of the week running! :p
Not to mention keeping my head on straight when it comes to tuning adjustments, part #'s and spec's. Good thing there is good old Bud Light and JD!
Any Idea how much motr plates, mounts PTO and so forth are to convert? I know there was some one with the hole set up and motor but like I said I dont need the motor.
I may start picking these up as I find them and run the Olds till and see what it can do untill I set up the BBC.