PDA

View Full Version : how fast are sangers????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-09-2004, 10:19 PM
I have a local guy that is selling a snger superjet. i have heard that they are rough riding boys though. Any opinions.............

HammerDown
09-10-2004, 02:31 AM
How fast ? Depends how much power ya put to the. My friend has a mid 70's Sanger Super Jet (mint/showroom)...I rebuilt the pump, installed a Aggressor full (A) with a very mild 454. Tach max's at 4800 and the boat quickly get's to +70 (my GPS). He always get's me at the line...till I reel him in. :wink:
I spoke to Jack when we 1'st got the boat and if I recall he stated that hull will pretty much hit a wall @ the mid 80's unless the pump is pulled and a setback and a different intake is used. But he also gave it a thumbs up.
That little boat has a solid strong hull, fierce hole shot and is very quick...but the ride at cruise speed has a lot to be desired...verrrrry hard riding hull, kinda like this> :hammerhea or this> :2purples: ...get the picture?

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 03:48 AM
I have a '77 Sanger Custom Sprint Jet and I would not have anything else. Stock '77 Berk the boat ran 68@4750. With a angle iron type loader and a little work on engine the boat ran 74@5250. I am installing about 175more HP in the knew 466ci BBF and done a lot of work to the pump including a full rebiuld and Jack@MPD is doing the Berk "B" impeller, also a short droop is on it now with a Plase diverter. I am shooting for high 80s, goal of 90mph. The Boat rides very nice responds well to changes from the Place Diverter. It was stuck at 74mph but hoping droop and loader will fix that. The only problem with the Super Jet is it has a shorter deck than the Custom Sprint by 10", but that only matters if you want to go fast. The newer Super Jets and Sprint Jets don't turn as well as the old double concaved ones. The doulbe concaved bottom hulls are actually an air hull, bat wing, two very shallow tunnels on each side. I would not trade my Sanger Custom Sprint for anything.
Just my $.02
Jim

BrendellaJet
09-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Squirtin Thunder-
Would those mini tunnels look anything like this?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0091a-med.jpg
Hard to see in the pic, but just inside of the chines the bottom is rounded all the way back. This is a Brendella hull. Ive compared to an early 70's Hondo Jet and they were identical. The top side looks similar to a rogers, with no relief in the gunnels like a Sanger...

sanger rat
09-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Ah so thats your "secret Weapon" A special super tiger intake- :) HMMMM I want one.......
I think its the big dog in the back. Thats was good.

LakesOnly
09-10-2004, 09:21 AM
I have a local guy that is selling a sanger superjet. i have heard that they are rough riding boys though. Any opinions.............
Sangers are quality made jet boats. Sanger is well known for their v-drives. Their v-drives were usually made without floor and carpeting and so their fiberglass workmanship was always exposed in their v-drives and needed to look immaculate. This quality of workmanship was carried over to their jet boats. The construction and workmanship is top-notch.
The hulls are very beefy and strong thick lay-ups, so a Sanger Jet with engine-length stringers is a perfectly fine boat.
Since they were v-drive manufacturers, their jet boats had a very shallow V to them. This is what makes them a bit of a rough ride (or even a handful) in choppy water. I've owned several jets but never a Sanger. My jet is my lake boat, and after going for a ride in a Sanger Jet my first time in rough water, I was glad I had a jet boat with a more traditional V to it.
But on flat calm water, the Sanger Jet will probably plane-out before most boats and also go faster do to it's bottom design and overall construction.
Look the hull over carefully; a well-kept one is always a good purchase; one that needs glass work can cost a lot in the long run.
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Here you are not the best pic but you should get the idea. The early Sanger Super and Sprint Jets had the bottom. Like I said the Super Jet has a 10" shorter deck than the Sprint.

LakesOnly
09-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Compare the differences in v-hull inclination:
Sanger:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5675
More Traditional Jet Hull:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Boat_Stern.jpg
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
That is a big difference.

Jake W
09-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Squirtin T if the double concave bottom was so good why did they cange the bottom to the more ved bottom like on the supper jets.
I have heard the opsite of what you are saying.
IMO you cant go wrong with a Sanger they are a real pice of history very nice lines very well built.
Jake

1Bahnerjet
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
& the Factory installed Ride Plate is SWEET too...

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 12:19 PM
I don't know why they switched but I can say the newer ones just didn't turn as good. Hell my old '82 Sanger O/B wouldn't turn worth a shit at speed. And that had the newer bottom. Apples and Big Block I know. But as far as stating Super Jets vs Sprint Jets They both had the same bottom for the year they were. The biggest difference was the cockpit or deck length 98" vs 108" which in turn made the Sprint Jet run better and air out better, in my eyes, sometimes clouded by the love of the Sanger Custom Sprint Jet.
again my $.02
Jim

HammerDown
09-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Sanger:
LO
Yep this is the hull my friend has...very quick. But it does drive the back teeth out of your head!

1978 Rogers
09-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I new a girl in high school who's last name was Sanger. I never found out how fast she was. :D

datdude
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
This one does 74 w/a 455 @ 5500

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 02:28 PM
I find this very hard to believe, the ride on mine is absolutly fabulous. Just to make my point. My wife had back surgery and had a lumbar fusion done, they took bone from her hip and placed it into a stainless cage in between L4 & L5. Acording to her the ride is very good, but not as good as the Mirage Jag Ski Racer, ecelant compared to our old Hondo 17'10" Flat. With everything set up perfectly it rides almost like it is on "air". Absolutly no slamming, Hell her Tits don't even bounce much, 40DDs. But I will say it took quite alot of time to get it set-up right, very small adjustments. I hope I can make it ride as good this time around with all the changes we have done.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 02:30 PM
I almost bought that boat but it had the Olds in it. Very nice boat and it For Sale again.
Jim

b's sanger
09-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I have yet to find a Sanger owner, that does not love their boat. Yeah they're rough in chop, but the rounded lines are like a good woman. Here's some pics of mine before I hit the rocks.

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Sexy !!!!

datdude
09-10-2004, 03:48 PM
how low would I have to go to make it interesting for you???

Mohavekid
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Sanger's are some of the best built boats of the era.
The glass is thick, well laid and supported by some really nice woodwork beneath. I've owned a Challenger, Riviera and a Spectra before my Sanger. The quality of the workmanship in my Sanger far exeeds the others. My boat is 22 years old and has been used hard on the rough water of Lake Mohave, it does not have a single stress crack anywhere on the hull.
That being said, it does have a very shallow V to the hull, and in the chop it rides very stiff. I believe that shallow V contributes to the speed, my all stock 21' Mini Cruiser with a Berkeley "E" pump, and a Harman 405HP 454 runs 62 GPS loaded down with 60 gallons of gas, 5 good size people and a bunch of skis and coolers under the deck.
It does not hurt that they are very good looking boats.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1177mohave_8-031-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1177CBBB-med.jpg

1Bahnerjet
09-10-2004, 04:33 PM
My wife had back surgery and had a lumbar fusion done, they took bone from her hip and placed it into a stainless cage in between L4 & L5. Acording to her the ride is very good, Hell her Tits don't even bounce much, 40DDs.
Jim
I had a Lumbar Lami, L4-L5 & my Bahner is Beating me to Death, I just keep popping the Celebrex & keep Drivin'...
alot of guy's here post pics of their Wives...

TRG
09-10-2004, 05:13 PM
DUDE! if it's 18',...it rides ROUGH! if it's a sanger it rides even ROUGHER!
The hulls are pretty shallow, but if it is a ride you are looking for i would go with an older rogers cyclone or even a bonneville, i think that some of the old avenger's, anbd tahiti's have a deeper bottom as well, but then again, i dont know anything! :confused:
Todd

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 06:34 PM
396, any of us answer the questions you had???? If I can be of some help let me know. PM or E-Mail me.
Jim

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-10-2004, 06:38 PM
DUDE! if it's 18',...it rides ROUGH! if it's a sanger it rides even ROUGHER!
The hulls are pretty shallow, but if it is a ride you are looking for i would go with an older rogers cyclone or even a bonneville, i think that some of the old avenger's, anbd tahiti's have a deeper bottom as well, but then again, i dont know anything! :confused:
Todd
I know that....... I have 2 boats already. i was just curious about the sanger.......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
396, any of us answer the questions you had???? If I can be of some help let me know. PM or E-Mail me.
Jim
Yup;) That cleared things up for me.
Sanger= good hull
sanger= rough ass ride :D