PDA

View Full Version : Calling all v-drivers...unite!

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 02:36 AM
C'mon guys, Jim Wilkes needs mail. I know most of you already know the answers...if not? Too cool to ask the questions. But surely there's still something worth talking about in the v-drive world. The last question in this issue classic, "Triple Digits Needed!" A bit of a shocker since I thought all you guys ran 100+ :D but interesting reading. And funny by contrast to Jet Techs, "60 mph Needed!"
In fact, Jim's column WAY more interesting than Bobbye Kenyon's usual blather about, "...A center console that pairs performance with styling in a sizzling(?) package that features an impressive standard list of amenities along with ample storage for your gear and hits the mid-60-mph notch." :sleeping: Blah, blah, blah...both her style and subject sucks!
Talk about BORING. How many subscribers actually read her offshore sh* I mean stuff?
By comparison, Wilkes (Tyler and Alan) talk to subjects true Hot Boaters actually care about, taking time to answer questions with detailed technical replies based on experience. Not just some boring recap of offshore points standings or comments Bobbye's famous for like, "The event not only showcased the racers awesome talents in the offshore arena, it also spotlighted their commitment and generosity towards local charitable efforts..." reading like a bogus political spin. Blah, blah blah.
Yet HBM, in their infinite wisdom (read monopoly w/no competition catering to big money advertisers) threaten to cancel Jim's column not Bobbye's? If that's the direction they want to go...then maybe they should cancel jet tech, i/o's and o/b's and axe the special performance section too. And change their name to Hot Ocean Going Yachts (HOGY's) Something's not right.
jer

BGF
09-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Yah "Your rocket"and "Enderle"-Drooling wall washer's"I admire Wilkes for his accomplishments but I can just about guess what his canned answers are going to be.Your right to keeping the V-drive Tech alive but there are times Wilkes was to busy riding offshore boats in florida to respond to the tech coloum.
I would be more inclind to submit v-drive questions to someone else heading the colom or better yet someone helping Wilkes with the colom to get some fresh and different opion.

Morg
09-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Here's a thought,
Could the v-drive tech section format be scewed,to a just plain V-drive section. Instead of getting all the same questions like "How to change a prop" & "which gears should I run". It could change to look at the cool junk on this boat. Cover some of the events take a few pictures, show some rigging & write about the set up's that are being used & why.
Each & every boat is different. Their is a huge amount of information that I think could be presented in a way that even the offshore guy's would be interested in checking out.
If not, just show more (or less) bikini's.

dmontzsta
09-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Here's a thought,
Could the v-drive tech section format be scewed,to a just plain V-drive section. Instead of getting all the same questions like "How to change a prop" & "which gears should I run". It could change to look at the cool junk on this boat. Cover some of the events take a few pictures, show some rigging & write about the set up's that are being used & why.
Each & every boat is different. Their is a huge amount of information that I think could be presented in a way that even the offshore guy's would be interested in checking out.
If not, just show more (or less) bikini's.
Thats what I am talking about.

Cole Sanger
09-10-2004, 06:51 AM
I would like to see them take some pictures at Billy's shop during a custom paint job. I am sure there is a lot of information that could be gained for more than one article. Custom rigging would be another interesting topic as long as they include color pictures. How about taking a flat and doing a couple of build up's like they do with cars at Car Craft? If he's looking for questions, there are plenty asked right here everyday.

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Morg you may be on to something. A format change? Sections with both questions and content oriented to drive type? Hmm...
Or maybe a shakup in management.
"Those in Charge" WILL resist changes to the status quo, but if you've followed the recent changes in a (vaguely) similar magazine...Hot Rod...big format changes take huevos and the shinitz to buck the system. And you can bet those changes were inspired, not supported by the all-is-just-fine-and-be-happy crowd. The end result? A much better magazine.
jer

DansBlown73Nordic
09-11-2004, 02:22 AM
I think the idea of a V-Drive buildup would be really cool. Find some old tub in the weeds. Do a three or four part story of how it was dragged home and restored... :eek:
Hell I just finished one myself..... :D

bigkatboat
09-11-2004, 10:45 PM
I am very happy to see that some of you are actually looking at the "V-drive" pages in the magazine. I still cannot believe that an answer to a "Hondo flatbottom question" was given such a WEAK responce. The column responded, " we never got the HOP out of our boat" (paraphrased). What kind of answer is that??? If the author of the column does not know, then he should SEEK OUT THOSE WHO DO KNOW THE ANSWERS! I am the one who started the "V- drive" and "High performance" columns in this magazine. If you look back to the late 80's and early 90's you will see that I am correct. The magazine staff changed my words and added other "letters" without any regard for the TRUTH ! I was promised advertizing or monetary compensation, I got nothing! The whole thing got started when I was talking with Andy Casale, and some flatbottom drivers at Puddingstone Lake, we were at an IHBA event and I suggested the columns. Well all of the advertizing money we were representing (in his face) to Kevin Spaise, was too much. He 'contacted me for articals', but NEVER contacted me for 'payment'. If you remember, the first "High Performance" column was all about the 'author's' problem with his "trailer hitch" and how his boat became disconnected from his truck. What the F^*k?? I feel the people who contribute to this magazine are just "filling time". They NEVER WANTED IT TO BE LIKE HOT ROD magazine. I tried, and was shut down by the powers (ad salesmen) that rule. I know I will be banned, for bringing you the truth, but I want you (who can read this) to know, I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!!! PS, GS Marine has NO BUSINESS GIVING MOTOR ADVISE, they don't do their own motor work. I know that other people have been doing their motor work for many years!

63stevens
09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
The idea sounds great but if it is going to cost HB any money forget it. They're in the business of making money not spending it. As for the "v-drive tech" section in HB magazine I sent in a question and they never bothered to answer it. Besides who whats to wait 3-4 months for the answer to a question you need answered right now. Just my .02's worth

LVjetboy
09-12-2004, 12:12 AM
63stevens,
"As for the "v-drive tech" section in HB magazine I sent in a question and they never bothered to answer it. Besides who wants to wait 3-4 months for the answer to a question you need answered right now.
I think you hit the drawback of the current HBM tech section format. With internet tech forums, quick answers rule. We want answers...now. And we get them. That doesn't mean Hot Boat magazine's tech section is history. Just maybe they should reconsider changing with the times like Morg suggested?
Or not, if they don't care.
jer

Mohavekid
09-12-2004, 08:47 AM
I think the idea of a V-Drive buildup would be really cool. Find some old tub in the weeds. Do a three or four part story of how it was dragged home and restored... :eek:
Hell I just finished one myself..... :D
The problem with an idea like this is that the magazine would never pay the cost for such a build up.
I suspect the only way to get a buildup like that covered by the mag would be for the person doing the buildup to write the article, take the photos and submit the package to the mag and hope for a "freelance" kind of payment deal to be worked out. Obviously the payment would never match the true cost of the buildup.
I think we're seeing some of this in some of the recent motor buildup and jet setback articles.

LVjetboy
09-14-2004, 02:28 AM
"The problem with an idea like this is that the magazine would never pay the cost for such a build up."
Why not? They can't compete with a magazine like Hot Rod? They don't have enough revenue to make their magazine interesting? What?
jer

superdave013
09-14-2004, 05:35 AM
you guys just wait. I was talking to a new writer the other day about some v drive stuff. Might just see some build up pics. If you are doing something cool that's v drive related and are in So Cal I bet he would like to hear about it. Heck, he might travel to other areas too but I donno for sure. I do know he's totaly into it and is real fired up right now.
As far as the Tech section, well I'll stay out of that one. :)

superdave013
09-14-2004, 05:37 AM
"The problem with an idea like this is that the magazine would never pay the cost for such a build up."
Why not? They can't compete with a magazine like Hot Rod? They don't have enough revenue to make their magazine interesting? What?
jer
You think Hot Rod pays for all that? Wrong! Freebies from the vendors cover 95% of it I bet.

rrrr
09-14-2004, 08:08 AM
You think Hot Rod pays for all that? Wrong! Freebies from the vendors cover 95% of it I bet.
That's why there's a sidebar at the end of the article listing all of the parts contributors with websites and phone numbers.
I hate those guys! :D Building all that cool stuff, flogging the cr*p out of it, writing a few lines, then off to build another 700 HP pump gas motor (yawn).
What a job.

Cole Sanger
09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
If other magazines can get 95% of it that way, why can't ***boat?

cyclone
09-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Hot Rod magazine's recent turn around can be attributed to 2 main factors. First and foremost, Primedia Publishing Co. flushed the magazine with a six-figure budget which pays for all of that great photography, freelance articles, track time, dyno time etc. It's a gamble that the company is hoping will pay off in increased newsstand and ad sales.
Seccond, David Freiburger (editor of the mag) and his staff have put a ton of effort into revamping the magazine, none of which would have been possible without the cash to go along with it. That extra cash allows the staff to produce great stories that wouldn't be possible otherwise ie. all the buildups, project cars and product testing.
Hot Rod continues to be one of my favorite magazines ever, especially now with the new look and material.
Hot Boat on the other hand is a much smaller magazine. I agree the tech columns need to change and hopefully we'll all get what we are after.

Jake W
09-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Mike I was glad you had a couple of articles in the new mag.But I saw you in that big 32 foot Schiada.:jawdrop:
We all know the game it is to bad they will not take a chance to sell to the people that really read the mag.I have a friend thats Dad owned (it has been sold for a few years)the Procharger 42 foot Fountian and they do not knoe shit about the mag nor do they care.None of thoes guys rig their own 42s.
We all complaine so much about the mag I do not see any thing drastic happing.IT WILL TAKE A NEW PREFORMANCE MAG FOR ONLY JETS AND V DRIVES.
Mike will like this I rember when we would get the new MiniTruckin and talk about how stupid it was they went from the trucks finaly getting to the point where people were really starting to modify the trucks and Mike Shartist took it to a new direction of making the trucks look like Sport compacts (stickers intercoolers) ect WELL the mag sucked and they fired his ass and Lance Martz took over not the best but alot better.The mag will never be the same with out Courteney Halowell,Briam McCormick ect.And what did they do Started Street Trucks took a chance and it paid off.
Lets Grow some balls
Jake

Sleek-Jet
09-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Hot Rod magazine's recent turn around can be attributed to 2 main factors. First and foremost, Primedia Publishing Co. flushed the magazine with a six-figure budget which pays for all of that great photography, freelance articles, track time, dyno time etc. It's a gamble that the company is hoping will pay off in increased newsstand and ad sales.
Seccond, David Freiburger (editor of the mag) and his staff have put a ton of effort into revamping the magazine, none of which would have been possible without the cash to go along with it. That extra cash allows the staff to produce great stories that wouldn't be possible otherwise ie. all the buildups, project cars and product testing.
Hot Rod continues to be one of my favorite magazines ever, especially now with the new look and material.
Hot Boat on the other hand is a much smaller magazine. I agree the tech columns need to change and hopefully we'll all get what we are after.
Freiburger is the man (even if he likes mopars). Look what he did with 4 Wheel Off Road and Car Craft, both mags were far better off after he left then before. Freiburger is a hands on get your fingernails dirty type of guy, at least that's how he comes accross.
Of course Car Craft is now in the clutches of Jeff "I want to see 100,000 dollar Camaros" Smith, but I'm still holding out hope.
We need a hands on guy put in charge of Hot Boat. Someone that appreciates the "shade tree" aspect of our sport as much as the high dollar, nice rug, look at my trophy wife part.

Morg
09-15-2004, 05:50 AM
you guys just wait. I was talking to a new writer the other day about some v drive stuff. Might just see some build up pics. If you are doing something cool that's v drive related and are in So Cal I bet he would like to hear about it. Heck, he might travel to other areas too but I donno for sure. I do know he's totaly into it and is real fired up right now.
SD,
I am doing bottom work on my Revenge this weekend then starting the assembly. I would like to think it is at a level of quality that could make interesting reading. Hull fiberglass completly re-done inside & out. New hardwood floors, panels & kick board. All hardware powder coated.
& its coming out ever so nice. C'mon
Let me know
Morg.

cyclone
09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Freiburger is the man (even if he likes mopars). Look what he did with 4 Wheel Off Road and Car Craft, both mags were far better off after he left then before. Freiburger is a hands on get your fingernails dirty type of guy, at least that's how he comes accross.
Of course Car Craft is now in the clutches of Jeff "I want to see 100,000 dollar Camaros" Smith, but I'm still holding out hope.
We need a hands on guy put in charge of Hot Boat. Someone that appreciates the "shade tree" aspect of our sport as much as the high dollar, nice rug, look at my trophy wife part.
I agree. Still, I do enjoy daydreaming about the types of camaros that Jeff put's in car craft even if I'll never have the cash to build one. lol

cyclone
09-15-2004, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Jake W]Mike I was glad you had a couple of articles in the new mag.But I saw you in that big 32 foot Schiada.:jawdrop:
We all know the game it is to bad they will not take a chance to sell to the people that really read the mag.I have a friend thats Dad owned (it has been sold for a few years)the Procharger 42 foot Fountian and they do not knoe shit about the mag nor do they care.None of thoes guys rig their own 42s.
We all complaine so much about the mag I do not see any thing drastic happing.IT WILL TAKE A NEW PREFORMANCE MAG FOR ONLY JETS AND V DRIVES.
Mike will like this I rember when we would get the new MiniTruckin and talk about how stupid it was they went from the trucks finaly getting to the point where people were really starting to modify the trucks and Mike Shartist took it to a new direction of making the trucks look like Sport compacts (stickers intercoolers) ect WELL the mag sucked and they fired his ass and Lance Martz took over not the best but alot better.The mag will never be the same with out Courteney Halowell,Briam McCormick ect.And what did they do Started Street Trucks took a chance and it paid off.
Lets Grow some balls
I hear you Jake. Give it some time and things will improve. Nowhere to go but up at this point right?

mfrey
09-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Oh come on...you guys and gals don't like reading about the 40' 300mph go-down-to-the-store-and-buy-one boats, the $100k deck boats, etc? The v-drive section is a good idea, but it's usually lame, and the how-to's are aimed at the folks buying the store-bought boats. I was about ready to cancel, again, until they came out with the performance section or whatever it's called in the back. At least that was a step in the right direction. We need another Chuck Pierce to step up to the plate.

AzDon
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Dave-
Is the guy you are referring to currently restoring a 20.5 Campbell and hold a position as an auto magazine editor? Just curious!