BAF#276
09-10-2004, 06:38 AM
ANOTHER SPRAG FAILURE :220v: AGAIN
EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN UPDATED TO THE DOUBLE SPRAG
:confused: DUMP THE LENCO AND GET A OWENS TRANS
WHAT DO YOU THINK

whiskey & water
09-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Well, right know i just blew up my trans (owens) do to getting out of it and back into it in first gear , cant do that. The way owens works, when you put air to it , its in first gear, take the air away its in second. He also make a sprag less tranny. In my experince if you keep from doing what i did, if you have and owens they last. I believe lenco is reverse that it goes into second when you give it air.

LakesOnly
09-10-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm looking into Lenco and Owens right now. I know little about the differences and have asked around and am trying to find out what I can...
I was told that the Owens was best for the 8-second class and slower, but for anything more they couldn't handle the horsepower that they were subjected to. What has been the experience with you guys?
On the flipside, I was told that Owens uses a lot of GM TH-400 parts and so you can get most parts at a parts store or GM dealership, whereas if you need Lenco parts you must go to Lenco and they are expensive.
Spragless option from Lenco is about $1600. Owens offers a triple sprag to combat its power-handling capabilities.
Any feedback/info/advice welcome, as I'm still gathering info. My application is for the DeMarco hydro.
LO

whiskey & water
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Lakeonly- My buddy Darrin Christle drives the quikshot boat in the njba. He run the owen tranny with a clutch in it. He runs the boat in the high 6's in the quarter mile . His maintance is 20 passes and take it apart to change sprags and clutchs, which are th400 chevy.

LakesOnly
09-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Lakeonly- My buddy Darrin Christle drives the quikshot boat in the njba. He run the owen tranny with a clutch in it. He runs the boat in the high 6's in the quarter mile . His maintance is 20 passes and take it apart to change sprags and clutchs, which are th400 chevy.
Owens in the sixes; good to know, thanks.
LO

Lookin for Liquid
09-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Owens in the sixes; good to know, thanks.
LOWe also ran an Owens in our TAH that ran in the mid to high 5's. It was the triple sprag style with 565 inches of BAE going thru it and we would change sprags Sat night and before final round wether they needed it or not. In that maintanence schedule we would find one starting to go out of the three, especially in rougher water. They are indeed GM style sprags and for those 2 years we did not experience any hard part failure.

Nstigator74
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Saturday morning I had the pressure plate bearing fail in my Lenco, turned lots of parts into junk. Thats racing :rolleyes: I think they are both good trannys but, I know most racers (with 2 speeds) in the northwest have spare Lenco parts in the trailer. I think you'd be hard pressed to find Owens parts in a hurry (between rounds)

Slyder
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
The key is not needing any spare parts for the Owens. I personally have not seen a hard part failures in an Owens in a boat slower than 6.50. Scott uses th-700 sprags and th-400 clutches and steels. The key words here are maintanence.
The best part is the power-flow on the Owens. No air = in gear for his clutch and No air = second gear on his transmissions.
I'm sure that all of you would agree that you would rather find out that the air bottle hasn't been turned on or the hose broke when you fire on the line....in gear, rather than stress testing the rods once.......or twice like in a Lenco!
Paul

Squirtin Thunder
09-13-2004, 05:13 PM
80% of the NASCAR Richmond transmisions have Cryogenically treated gears. And you don't see the failures that you did 5 years ago now. So I would contact;
Mr. Freeze
Roger @ 704-660-3326
Jim