PDA

View Full Version : PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse)

NOTALENT
09-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Does anyone know if dealers can get a discount through them?? Or is it all straight retail price?? Ordering parts for my new motor..need to save as much money as possible :D

PowellScooter
09-10-2004, 07:00 AM
have you called them and given them 'dealer credentials' and asked them ?

racecar.hotshoe
09-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Does anyone know if dealers can get a discount through them?? Or is it all straight retail price?? Ordering parts for my new motor..need to save as much money as possible :DI dont know if they are any cheaper then jegs or summit.I buy a ton of stuff for my racecar from them.

NOTALENT
09-10-2004, 07:18 AM
no..I have not called yet..I have ordered for myself before...but my buddy tuck who builds the engines for Advantage boats may be able to get the discount if they do offer it. Pulling the motor tommorow in havasu so I was going to try and get it today if possible.

Sleek-Jet
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM
I dont know if they are any cheaper then jegs or summit.I buy a ton of stuff for my racecar from them.
Maybe not, but they have a better catalog (even if you do have to pay for it).

BowTie Rick
09-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Define "dealer". Are you a dealership or a jobber? Typically all you need is a resale lic.# and the warehouse will run a credit ck on you. If all is good, you have an account. You will get a way better deal with a warehouse distributor vs. Summit or Jeg's which are retail. Granted they are very low priced for retail but to keep distribution chains open, a WD will give a jobber/dealer a better price. Also manufacturers prefer 3 step distrubution: manufacturer to WD, WD to jobber, jobber to end user. This helps keep profitability in the product making it more attractive to sell. We have competitors that sell direct to damn near anyone but what that does is kill any profit that can be made on the product and hence, distribution is poor. That is why you se K&N everywhere and the knock offs only at small shops.

Racer277
09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks BTR, that is the best and most succinct explanation I've heard in a long time on the distribution process.
Two thumbs up!
R277

Brian Ray
09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know if dealers can get a discount through them?? Or is it all straight retail price?? Ordering parts for my new motor..need to save as much money as possible :D
Nice avatar!! :) :)

NOTALENT
09-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Nice avatar!! :) :)
thanks...the last one was better..but as we all know they made me take it off..Actually they took it off for me.
And thanks bow tie...I personally work for ATK Engines..I can probably get a jobber price..using our resale license..But He is with advantage boats so I figured he can probably get a better deal. I will have to call down there and see what I can swing..thanks alot everyone

bigkatboat
09-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Try contacting "Mike" the manager of the North Hollywood store. He will try to put some 'kit' prices together for you. I have built quite a few of their motors for retail customers over the years, and I have done business with them for a long time. If you do get an 'insider price', please let us know, so that I can hunt down the owner "Keith" and get my money back for all of the years I paid "book prices". Look at all of the part prices you can find, I never buy "everthing" from one place.

DEEZ NUTTS
09-11-2004, 12:40 AM
My experience as an irregular customer that PAW service and delivery time sucks. I just use their catalogue for part numbers and call summit. Summit has all the same stuff in stock just not in their catalogue. 3 days to my door is the norm with Summit. Paw 4 calls and 2 weeks later you get your stuff.

superdave013
09-11-2004, 06:38 AM
anyone ever shop at their local speed shop any more? If not, don't cry when you go to get that Holley carb gasket (or whatever) and the shop's now closed down.

Jrocket
09-11-2004, 01:24 PM
anyone ever shop at their local speed shop any more? If not, don't cry when you go to get that Holley carb gasket (or whatever) and the shop's now closed down.
Is there even such a thing as a LOCAL speed shop anymore?

1stepcloser
09-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Is there even such a thing as a LOCAL speed shop anymore?
I try to support local business' but it seems that the only parts in stock are for the swarthy looking dude behind the counter's '64 small block nova, most of the stuff I need is "sure...I'll have it here tuesday."
anyone ever shop at their local speed shop any more? If not, don't cry when you go to get that Holley carb gasket (or whatever) and the shop's now closed down
As far as gaskets for my carb....they usually have all that stuff.... :wink:

powerplay230
09-11-2004, 05:12 PM
And why would you buy from PAW besides price?

InKahntrol
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I worked for PAW all through highschool and the first two years of college. I gave them back most of my paychecks buying parts for projects, but it was a good time and great learning experience. As far as I know if you can prove that you're a dealer they will sell you parts without tax, but the price doesn't really change. However, they will match prices and if you're a good regular customer and you hammer them hard they will occasionally work with you to get the "good guy" price, provided you can bring in another ad or catalog proving a competitor sells the same part cheaper. I've always prefered to go to the local shops like PAW over Summit or Jegs, because when its 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon and you have to have that certain part you're missing, its nice to know they're open and you don't have to wait a week for UPS to show up.
George is right, Mike Maman at the North Hollywood store is definately the guy to deal with. He was my boss for many years, and he's a stand up guy. If you want to deal with the Canoga Park store, Kent is also a nice guy and easy to work with.
-Dan

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2004, 11:47 PM
I try and support the local speed shops, but I get tired of 1.) not being a bench racing buddy, so I don't get shit for service 2.) see number 1.
The last time I tried to buy a set of Main bolts for my BBC at the local speed shops I got the "we don't have those in stock" speech. Same thing with the bearings. Keep in mind this is for a Chevy, not the most exotic piece of equipment out there.
Had to go to the machine shop for everything.
So now it's Car Quest for the everyday keep it running things, and the machine shops or mail order for everything else.