PDA

View Full Version : Did September 11th, 2001 Change Your Life?

RiverKitty
09-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Nutshell Version: The summer of 2001 my mom had a stroke. I was already shaken by that because I love my mom soooo much and had already lost my 2 older brothers in years past! A few months later 9/11 happened.....all I remebered feeling that day is how much I wanted to be with my family....like a "group hug". Two months later I moved to Arizona to be with my parents. I moved away from an excellent job and secure life but figured, life is too short, I won't have my parents around forever....so here I am.

Her454
09-10-2004, 11:25 AM
RK, I remember it like was yesterday and the panic I felt and the need to be close to family also. I didnt know anyone that lost their life so it didnt effect me directly. It certainly did remind me of how PROUD I am to be an American, made me fly the colors every day since then, and cherish my family and friends just a little bit more. Thanks for the thread. :)

Flyinbowtie
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
It did in many ways.
My son joined the Army the following February, and left for BCT on May 1st, 2001.

Mrs. Restless22
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
It did in many ways.
My son joined the Army the following February, and left for BCT on May 1st, 2001.
When is his next trip home??

Infomaniac
09-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I work for American Airlines and was at work when it happened.
When they called to empty the skies of airliners, they were landing here in Tulsa one after the other. We were standing outside the hanger watching them. We had to go inside because it was freaking out the passengers. They did not even know why they were landing in Tulsa much less why everyone was standing there watching them land.
We had to go to the terminal and taxi or tow all of them.
Many people lost their lives or loved ones.

76BARRON
09-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Ahh....YES ,I remember it well!.....THE DAY THE WORLD CHANGED FOREVER!
Like it or not,belive it or not, we all have been touched in one way or another
some more than others.Try and drive by a major city and see an airplane in the sky and not think of that day!

76BARRON
09-10-2004, 11:44 AM
My Son Also Joined The Navy As A Result(his Own Idea)

PHX ATC
09-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I was working that day. Being in an air traffic control tower with access to visual data on all the air carriers, air taxis, and IFR GA aircraft in the US, it was eerie to see all of them land and not a single aircraft airborn in the US except for the military.
For 2 hours the aircraft pounded all 3 of our runways, 3 miles in trail, one after the other, landing and parking all over the place. We had them stacked up on all of our taxiways, all the gates that the airport had were full, we had them in holding pens, and all the FBO's were parking them nuts to butts.
I'm amazed at the way EVERYBODY in the aviation industry from little private planes and their pilots to airlines to the federal government came together are worked the problem --- get the aircraft on the ground safely, expeditiously, and without a hint of panic NOW!
It seemed that after we accomplished our task of diverting the aircraft to the closest airport and getting them down safely the shock of what had just happened sunk in. Weird, watching 6,000 or so flights airborn go to zero in 2 hours or so.
Anybody walk outside and listen? Quiet as a churchmouse. Nothing that I want to hear again.

chub
09-10-2004, 11:51 AM
We got a bomb threat that day and had to evac the building. In the days after we would go up on the roof and the only thing in the sky was Military. That was creepy. There's always something in the air in LA. I mean aircraft. I'll be working a grave shift tonite. I'm a little edgy about it.

Sleek-Jet
09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I was flying that morning as well. Gotten up early for a little VFR cruise. I landed, pushed the airplane back in the hanger and walked inside the FBO... total shock is all I can say. I got there just in time to see the second airplane hit. :(
Shortly after the order was given to get everything on the ground. I didn't know if that was the last time I would get to go flying myself or not, didn't even think about it at the time really.
Walked outside in the afternoon, and no contrials, or sounds. The FBO unicom was quiet. An erie feeling that gives me chills to this day.

Lightning
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I definately did change my life and the life of many people I know. Being in a business that deals with all types of people, I saw many perspectives change. I think in general, people are more apt to live a little more for today and not worry as much as they used to about the future.

FMluvswater
09-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes. 9/11 impacted my life. It was my JFK assassination event if that makes any sense. It was a wake-up call that forced me to face some personal issues. It still makes me cry to think of the sheer numbers of ordinary and extraordinary people who died on 9/11 and in the aftermath. Sometimes I still pray for the families and friends they were ripped away from. I hope they are remembering their loved ones with more smiles than tears but I'm aware that day is still a wound that won't heal for so many people. I will never understand the viciousness behind the attacks and I don't want to even try.
~FM

Banshee
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was out of town, in Kentucky (of all places) My wife only had the number to the hotel, not the plant I was working at. She really wanted to talk to me so she had to call my regular work to get the number at the plant I was working at but I wasn't there when she called. Then she had a hell of a time finding someone at the plant that knew where I was and that could give her the phone number. By the time she got a hold of me she was a mess. When I spoke to her I knew about the first plane hitting the tower but she told me about the second plane and that one tower came down. That's when I knew we were under attack.
So yes it did change my life in many little ways. One of them is that I didn't like those Ala worshipping, turbine head Muther-focker's before, now I absolutely hate them.

bigerich
09-10-2004, 05:27 PM
For me it was just strange to have a day or two of NO air traffic, I live din Denver at the time, and where I worked was directly under the landing path for many planes going in to DIA. And from then on, the expression "Lets roll" has a whole new meaning.

Racer277
09-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Also remember it as if yesterday. Huddled around the tv with coworkers all day, I'm sure the same as people did during Pearl Harbor, and Kennedy. It was comforting to be with these people, as I was a traveling engineer at the time, always on a plane somewhere. I wouldn't have wanted to be alone in a hotel room.
The next day I worked at LAX, absolutely creepy, no sound, no aircraft, you flyboys know, there is always sound and planes up.
I've been to Ground Zero, didn't think it would effect me nearly as much as it did. We're a great country, everyone should visit that spot.

Flyinbowtie
09-10-2004, 05:43 PM
When is his next trip home??
We don't know, he is no longer in the U.S., and we haven't heard from him in a 22 days. :confused:

DUNDUN
09-10-2004, 06:07 PM
My Son Also Joined The Navy As A Result(his Own Idea)
I'm planning to join the Navy out of high school too.(my idea)lol... 9/11 definitely has something to do with it.

Lady Rat Attack 1
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM
I also remember that day well. I was at work and had a TV available. The imagines will NEVER escape me. Horriable.... I live in the country and the flight plan for SFO and Oakland goes right over our home. What an eire (?) feeling when there were no planes flying over head. Standing outside at nite and just watching the skies and not seeing them was something I will never forget.

Ziggy
09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I can distinctly remember the dumbfounded feeling I had watching when the 2nd plane hit....it just didn't seem real, NO, it can't be, can it? Holy cow, it was real and so many lost their lives. But just as horrific was watching the panic stricken people jumping from 80+ floors and seeing the towers actually fall, it just didn't seem possible that such a massive piece of engineering could crumble like it did. All I could say is "OH GOD, all those people in there" with tears in my eyes.
One biz associate I met one time was onboard the flight that crashed in Penn. She worked for BMW's Corp legal dept. RIP.
Another oddity had to do with Chase Manhattan Bank that was in one of the towers. I talked with one of the employees who said after the first plane they were initially told to go ahead and go back in(obviously tower 2) when suddenly, whammo, came the 2nd plane. I never was made aware if any of those folks perrished but I think they made it out safe.
One other biz friend I know had a brother that worked on the ~90th floor of one of the towers, for some unknown reason, he was late for work that day, he was never late.
I also happened to be in Havasu just a few days afterwards, wondering #1 if anyone else would even be there, #2 what the mood would be: #1, many where there enjoying their lives, and #2, never had I seen so many Flags attached to boats.....much solemn conversations along the Channal banks.
So yes, since then life has been different, little things don't bother me nearly so much, I let the small irritations of life bounce off me. And I have flown our Stars and Stripes in my front yard ever since.
Posing another question to people here. Did 9-11 have an effect on you as far as flying with commercial airlines, mentally?
My wife and I flew to Atlanta a month later for meetings after assuring her all is safer now. we weren't in the meeting an hour when we were told of the plane crash in New York where the tail had sheared...She was Extremely tense on the return flight...to say the least.

Dawn Patrol
09-10-2004, 06:33 PM
I remember while in bed Sept 12, I woke to the sound of a low flying Plane, then it dawned on me, it was a fighter plane patrolling the skies of Los Angeles. Who ever could have imagined that US and UN fighters would be patrolling the skies of the USA?
It was very wierd, but it did give us a reassuring feeling.

sandblasted
09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
9/11 didn't change my life but it did make me angry...I'm still angry that 3000 of our fellow Americans were murdered...and the more I hear people like Kerry talk about a kinder, gentler, war on terror the angrier I get... :mad:

beyondhelpin
09-10-2004, 06:57 PM
:cry: :( :angry2: It affected my life in many ways. I work for American Airlines so it affected me more than most. Not the mention the $150,000 minimum in lost earnings and benefits for the next few years.

RiverRatMike
09-10-2004, 08:57 PM
yes it did, got layed off from work cause I worked for the airline industry. Decided it was time to make a big move and get the hell out of OC. Now I live in beautiful Lake Havasu City with my g/f and own my own home. A dream come true.

lghtnin33
09-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I too remember that dreadful day as if it were yesterday. My day started out a normal work day just like any other. I got in my truck, drove out to a clients house to take down some wall sconces ( i'm an electrician ) so the painter could paint behind them. I get to the job, get out of the truck, put on my tools and walk around to the back of the house and I see my painter friend staring at this little portable tv with this strange look on his face. So i ask him whats going on? he said, a plane in NYC has just flown into one of the trade center buildings.Then we went on talking for a few minutes about the people inside, the people on the plane, and how could a pilot make such a mistake by not seeing the two tallest buildings in the U.S. About that time the second plane hit the other tower and we just went into total shock! One crash is a terrible mistake but two was intentional! Then more news came in that there were two more planes unaccounted for and they were in the Washington D.C. area and taking an unusual path following the Potomac river.My mother and step father live on the Potomac river and I went into panic mode, I tried to call my mother, but all the phone lines were jammed, I just through my cell phone across the yard and just prayed that she would be ok.For the next 15 minutes or so we just watched and listened for more news to come, and if anything else happened in other cities, it was time to go home and load up the guns, discuss the safe places with the family and friends, because war has just begun. :frown: Then all of a sudden like thunder, our local air force base scrambled out 2 F-16's,2 F-18's,2 trainers and one Blackhawk. That was scary just wondering if you are going to see real air to air combat, thank God we didnt get that far. The planes patrolled us non-stop for days and they did a wonderful job! Later that evening though, I got through to my mother and she was fine just really scared. Then I remember the hard conversation I had with my children about why someone would come to attack us, and deliberatly kill thousands of innocent people. I will never forget that day and we should not rest easy until we find and destroy ALL involved not just Osama Bin Laden. Sorry such a long post.

MagicMtnDan
09-10-2004, 09:37 PM
I woke up and turned the TV on just after the first plane hit the North Tower. A black hole and smoke was billowing out around the 90th floor.
I grew up in that area and remember when the Twin Towers were going up - watching all that rust-colored steel, then the finishing touches and finally years later the entire complex was done.
You could not be in the NYC area without seeing the Trade Center Towers sticking up proudly offering everyone who could see them a landmark and the comfort that the Towers were always there (and everyone assumed they would be there long after we were gone).
On 9/11 I was in NoCal and turned on the TV to see the North Tower smoking. I was amazed and shocked - I felt in my stomach that there was more to this than an airliner somehow hitting the Tower - that just wasn't possible.
I watched in horror as all of a sudden a fast-moving airplane smashed into the middle of the South Tower and gasped when the exploding jet fuel and debris blew out the back side. All those people!
I was mesmerized - fixated on the TV screen when I couldn't believe my eyes as the first Tower went down in a huge plume of smoke, dust and ash. Thousands of people were running for their lives in what looked like nuclear winter in lower Manhattan.
9/11 galvanized my already conservative patriotic beliefs and focused my thoughts on what this country had to do and must still do to keep us free, safe and strong. It made me realize we were once again at war with a new enemy - one that wants to kill every breathing American here and abroad.
It made me want to enlist even though I couldn't and it made me appreciate even more everyone in this country's history who served this country and kept us free. And those who are serving now I send my blessing and deep appreciation for giving so much of themselves for the rest of us.
God Bless America and everyone who realizes what this country means to the rest of the world.
Please take a moment tomorrow to reflect on the day and those that were killed on 9/11 and in the days since serving our country. We have seen many heroes something that no other country has as many of.

lghtnin33
09-10-2004, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=MagicMtnDan]
9/11 galvanized my already conservative patriotic beliefs and focused my thoughts on what this country had to do and must still do to keep us free, safe and strong. It made me realize we were once again at war with a new enemy - one that wants to kill every breathing American here and abroad.
There are people in this country who are soley here for monetary gain and have no loyalty to the U.S. I had heard that on another job we were working on, after the planes had hit the towers, one of the painters on the crew, which happens to be an Australian and is a very nice person, but lacks that american loyalty, said in front of everyone "I'm sure glad I'm not an American" :jawdrop: Meaning, I'm glad this is not my battle. He couldn't have picked a worse time to say something like that because he was quickly informed that "he better hope that Austrailia had nothing to do with this or he wasn't going to have a home to go back to." Its the things like that, that really make me angry :mad: :mad: :mad: Everyone wants to sleep in the American dream, but its only the True Americans that will keep it safe at night.

MagicMtnDan
09-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Bump

Mandelon
09-11-2004, 06:19 AM
To help put the size of the Trade Center into perspective...know that each floor in each building was about the size of an acre.
43,000 square feet or so. :frown:

HCS
09-11-2004, 07:26 AM
To help put the size of the Trade Center into perspective...know that each floor in each building was about the size of an acre.
43,000 square feet or so. :frown:
About the size of a football field. With 3 exits on each floor.
Now designers say there should have been 6.

cave
09-11-2004, 07:54 AM
The last few post jared my memory to that morning. I was listning to the radio in our factory, after the first plane hit then the host said another plane just hit the second tower. I being the only U.S. born person in the factory thought to myself this aint no accedent. The mohows behind me were all laghing. I couldnt beleive what I was seeing. Thier here working taking my fellow US born brothers jobs and thier "F"en laughing. One said in spanish "about time we got a bloody nose". I turned around and headed right for him he said I was just joking about a hundred times before the GM would let me go. He is South African. I told them all it was a different country now and there homies from mother Mexico wouldnt get in as easy as today! (9/11/01). Laugh at that Mother Fokers.
Well I was wrong. There still coming. That guy quit the next day. for fear that the GM may take a cofee break. I was so mad that I stop machining for the rest of the day. The next day the Owner of the company, another South African asked me to talk to him about what happen yesterday. We talked for around 2 hours and then he said I'm not letting these "F"en terrorist put a ding in us!!! No matter what happens we wont miss a day of work. He kept his word and while alot of other companies were laying off we stayed busy. he called all his budies up and gave them discounts. God bless him!
Dam now I'm pissed again...
Close the Boarder Now! :mad: You are either with us or against us. NO in between.

Scream
09-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Leaving for work, Deb had the TV on and told me about the 1st plane hitting the towers. I watched in shock. "How in the world could a commercial airliner hit the WTC?". It was inconcievable to me that this was happening. Then the second one hit, and I watched it live on television. At that moment I knew there was an attack on My America. I probably already knew who was responsible as well, what other people would deal out death so freely and indiscriminately...
Finding out later about the sacrafices of the Police and Firefighters in those towers was sobering for one, but also made me very proud of what they did and how they did it. I still have a much greater respect for all police and firefighters.
The follwing day there was a firefighter passing the boot in the middle of Carnelian St here in Alta Loma. There was a very long line waiting to fill that boot.
All of our lives were changed in that moment, and if anyone says thier's was not, they're not take full stock of things.
Scream

OGShocker
09-11-2004, 08:11 AM
September, 11 2001, changed my in one major way. I started to voice my feelings about this GREAT NATION. I now see a person in uniform and I go out of my way to say thank you. I thank them for their service to our country and for standing the post so my family can enjoy our freedom which they provide us. I have always felt thankful for them but, now I voice my feelings every chance I get.
I realize I sometimes come across as a over bearing jackass here in Hot Boat. Sometimes a bit too pompous but, I love this nation, warts and all.
God Bless the United States of America!
Thanks for the thread RK!

Ziggy
09-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Now I live in beautiful Lake Havasu City with my g/f and own my own home. A dream come true.
Wouldn't that be Fiance' now?? :D :D

Jbb
09-11-2004, 05:48 PM
The last word.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860911.jpg

Dr. Eagle
09-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I was recovering from a staph infection and serious knee injury hoping to get back to work soon.
I woke up that morning to the telephone answering machine with a friend calling to tell me that we were being attacked. I ran downstairs (much as I could with the knee brace and all) and turned on the news. I was just stunned. I have never been so sad, shocked and ANGRY all at once.
I will never forget that day, with all the people lost in one shocking morning.
Following this attack, telecommunications went flat and I was out of work for two more years... between the emotions of that morning (and subsequent mornings) and the effect on my livelyhood, yes it changed my life.