PDA

View Full Version : 460 build update

FHI-prez
09-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, I got in the truck and headed over to the shop (Powered by Ford) to pick the owner's brain and he was more than helpful and VERY sharp. Spent more than an hour talking to him and asking him dumb questions which he answered.
Sooo this is what it's gonna be:
Ford Racing 466 assembled and balanced short block
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6647
Ford Racing camshaft and lifters 244/254 @ .050 588/614 lift
Dove roller rockers
RPM aluminum heads with ARP studs
Approx. 10.3 C/R
Barry Grant 850 carb
All MSD ignition
Ford Racing valve covers
10qt. Milodon marine oil pan
HV oil pump reworked by Powered by Ford
Edelbrock rpm intake
Ford Racing flexplate and damper
Total price should be around $4.5k (we'll see about that)
This SHOULD get me to the true 500hp goal pretty easily
I know this motor is reletively mild compared to a lot of the
engines you guys turn out, but I'm pretty damn excited
and it should make one hell of a ski boat motor!
The parts should start coming in this week
Thanks to all of you that helped me get to this point
and I'm sure I'll be asking a few goofy assembly questions
when I start puttin her together, but I've got a pretty good
handle on it atm so we'll see how she turns out. Gonna take
my time and do it right, so it will be awhile before I'm
terrorizing the river again, but it will be fun slappin her
together! I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and I'll
be posting pics as she gets put together.
Nick

LakesOnly
09-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Well, I headed over to the shop to pick the owner's brain and he was VERY sharp.
This is what it's gonna be:
Ford Racing 466 assembled and balanced short block
Ford Racing camshaft and lifters 244/254 @ .050 588/614 lift
Dove roller rockers
RPM aluminum heads with ARP studs
Approx. 10.3 C/R
Barry Grant 850 carb
All MSD ignition
Ford Racing valve covers
10qt. Milodon marine oil pan
HV oil pump reworked by Powered by Ford
Edelbrock rpm intake
Ford Racing flexplate and damper
Total price should be around $4.5k (we'll see about that)
This SHOULD get me to the true 500hp goal pretty easily
The engine will have well over 500 HP assuming proper tune and OT headers. Of course, this can be easily accomplished with a stock block and heads for less money.
I know this motor is reletively mild compared to a lot of the
engines you guys turn out, but I'm pretty damn excited
and it should make one hell of a ski boat motor!
yeah, 'til it blows up. That is...UNLESS your "very sharp" machine shop owner plans to fully disassemble the just acquired shortblock and open up the factory clearances as Ford strongly recommends when used in a marine application. How much will be be charging you for tearing down the brand new shortblock and then remachining everything?
The parts should start coming in this week
Thanks to all of you that helped me get to this point
and I'm sure I'll be asking a few goofy assembly questions
when I start puttin her together, but I've got a pretty good
handle on it atm so we'll see how she turns out. Gonna take
my time and do it right, so it will be awhile before I'm
terrorizing the river again, but it will be fun slappin her
together! I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and I'll
be posting pics as she gets put together.
Nick
Do not "slap it together." In fact, be sure to double-check all the machining dimensions that your machinist has performed..before you carefully assemble.
LO

FHI-prez
09-11-2004, 04:30 PM
The engine will have well over 500 HP assuming proper tune and OT headers. Of course, this can be easily accomplished with a stock block and heads for less money.
yeah, 'til it blows up. That is...UNLESS your "very sharp" machine shop owner plans to fully disassemble the just acquired shortblock and open up the factory clearances as Ford strongly recommends when used in a marine application. How much will be be charging you for tearing down the brand new shortblock and then remachining everything?
Do not "slap it together." In fact, be sure to double-check all the machining dimensions that your machinist has performed..before you carefully assemble.
LO
I was being scarcastic when I was saying I was going to slap it together. And yes the short block will be gone through.
I even agree with you that a stock block and heads can be worked to make that horsepower too with well directed effort for less money. But how much less?
Well, I added up all the machining that was to be done on my block/crank that just spun two bearings a month ago, for an unknown reason. It took out two rods and dug into an already .010 over crank pretty good. I got the motor with the boat so I have no idea how well it was put together, obviously not that well. The crank MIGHT clean up with a total of .030 and it MIGHT not. The block needs to be bored .030 over/cleaned up/cam bearings/line honed/deck cleaned up. So, I'm looking at block machine work, new crank/rods/pistons/rings/cam/balancer/flexplate etc. The heads were D3's which would take all kinds of time and money to make decent and the end result is still arguable when you got to machine it for guide plates and studs as well. So I added up how much it was going to cost me to put my shortblock back together right, $2k, if all went well (that's including tax and shipping charges). I'm buying the shortblock shipped for $2,095, and I still have a block and crank as a spare that need LOTS of love, but I still have them. The shortblock assembly will be checked out and if it's not to spec Ford will get it back (if that's even possible), well before it's run. And when it is run, there will be a horribly LONG drawn out break in process before it's pulled out of the boat again so I can hook it to the pump.
The cam will be broken in with the inner spring removed.
The heads will be re-torqued at least twice. (on ARP studs)
The mains will be ARP studs
The motor will rarely see over 5k rpm and even then, not for more than a few seconds. However, months from now, when the motor is all broken in checked and checked again (top end mostly) and I feel like droppin the hammer for a short speed run she should be fast enough to get out of her own way I think. Unless I blow it up.
Nick

LakesOnly
09-11-2004, 11:51 PM
I think the engine you are bulding might produce over 550HP. That will be a nice motor.
My point about tearing down the shortblock is not to check Fords workmanship per se, it is to make changes as Ford strongly recommends if you are going to run it in a marine application. The shortblock WILL work as delivered; it will last much longer if you change clearances.
Paul

FHI-prez
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I think the engine you are bulding might produce over 550HP. That will be a nice motor.
My point about tearing down the shortblock is not to check Fords workmanship per se, it is to make changes as Ford strongly recommends if you are going to run it in a marine application. The shortblock WILL work as delivered; it will last much longer if you change clearances.
Paul
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the advice.
Nick

ssanddemon
09-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey, that's my motor! Almost exactly the same setup, minus the alum. heads (I got the D3's, port work done by me, so they'll suck). Similar cam (Lunati solid, 230 both @ .050, .600 and 10* centers), Ford Racing 10 Qt, 10.5:1 forged TRW domes for the D3 heads, Eagle I-beams, Proform roller rockers, good pushrods, studs, plates and etc. Stuck wating for some thin valve stem seals to fit under the inner springs; otherwise she's ready to put in. The logs are gonna kill my power, but jacketed headers will cost almost as much as the motor. Shooting for 500+ HP and probably a 150 shot later.
Don't let Ivan get you, Nick!

FHI-prez
09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey, that's my motor! Almost exactly the same setup, minus the alum. heads (I got the D3's, port work done by me, so they'll suck). Similar cam (Lunati solid, 230 both @ .050, .600 and 10* centers), Ford Racing 10 Qt, 10.5:1 forged TRW domes for the D3 heads, Eagle I-beams, Proform roller rockers, good pushrods, studs, plates and etc. Stuck wating for some thin valve stem seals to fit under the inner springs; otherwise she's ready to put in. The logs are gonna kill my power, but jacketed headers will cost almost as much as the motor. Shooting for 500+ HP and probably a 150 shot later.
Don't let Ivan get you, Nick!
That Puss Ivan is running away it looks like, was all ready for that lil wanker too! :yuk:
I'm too much of a chicken shit to run a 150 shot I'm afraid I'll blow that bitch up or my pump would go south. This motor should be around 550 hp and that's more than enough for me. (Well, it's at least 100 hp more than the motor I pulled out, which was "more than enough for me" a few months ago, so I guess I'm full of crap on that one. :rolleyes: Still scared of the bottle tho. :eek:
But atm, I'm bored as hell 'cuz my parts aren't in yet. So I'm lurkin around the boards to kill my evening. Next week (HOPEFULLY) I'll be pretty damn scarace 'cuz I'll be wrenchin' :D
Nick