PDA

View Full Version : Bassett Over Transom Exhaust In &Outs

Hawaiian
07-15-2001, 06:05 AM
Can Anyone tell me the ins and out of running over the transon headers. Anyone had a decible Guage ran on them at idle and WOT? How much of a rpm increase with a 460 ford can be expected Thanks for any and all Information
Thanks

77Spectra
07-15-2001, 06:50 PM
They look cool. You no longer have to carry that plug wrench when you suck water in your heads. With baffles and the water going, they are not much louder. ( gotta have baffles in some states ). I would say run dry without the baffles will bump you up 15% on the power. Did I say the look cool?

froggystyle
07-15-2001, 07:30 PM
That and they look cool!

mister460
07-16-2001, 09:17 AM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but they do look really cool! Sound pretty cool too!

TX19
07-18-2001, 07:15 PM
Besides looking cool and sounding cool..... Basset twisties with no muffler inserts gave my mild 460 (550 HP)in a TX19 about 200 rpm over log manifolds. The inserts (Basset) cost about 50 rpm. I don't know about decibels, but the inserts I used aren't much quieter. If you do put the inserts in, be sure to check the bolts holding them in frequently or don't get behind the boat often. I shot one of mine about 50 yards on the bank when the bolt worked loose http://free.***boat.net/ubb/redface.gif
[This message has been edited by TX19 (edited July 18, 2001).]

johnnie jetboat
07-20-2001, 05:46 PM
There is no sound on the water sweeter than a set of twisties at wot!!!

RIVRHED
07-20-2001, 06:38 PM
Hawaiian, 15% HP gain for headers over logs.
That means on a 330 HP 460, you could gain about 40 HP, where did you pull that # from, your ass?
NIGGA PLEASE.
Aluminum logs are jacketed so why would you worry about bringing a plug wrench?
No offense, just wanted to clear that up before someone ran out to buy a set of bassetts to gain maybe 2mph
[This message has been edited by RIVRHED (edited July 20, 2001).]

77Spectra
07-21-2001, 08:57 PM
RIVRHED. Ever run a log with the flapper gone and a hot cam. Suckin water ain,t hard. More than once I was towed to the ramp. Yanked the plugs, spun the water out, and back in the water we went. With the flappers. Logs have much smaller ports than OT,s. Just talk to a third person and and get thier opinion. 15% may be a little low.

77charger
07-21-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TX19:
Besides looking cool and sounding cool..... Basset twisties with no muffler inserts gave my mild 460 (550 HP)in a TX19 about 200 rpm over log manifolds. The inserts (Basset) cost about 50 rpm. I don't know about decibels, but the inserts I used aren't much quieter. If you do put the inserts in, be sure to check the bolts holding them in frequently or don't get behind the boat often. I shot one of mine about 50 yards on the bank when the bolt worked loose http://free.***boat.net/ubb/redface.gif
[This message has been edited by TX19 (edited July 18, 2001).][/B]
about says the same for me.

DickDanger
07-22-2001, 06:18 PM
I have to agree with most of the postings on here so far. Over the transom Bassett's just look bitchin' and sound sweet!!! But then again, if you have small children, thru the transom is the way to go. Usually when the Bassetts are flowing water, they stay fairly cool to the touch, but running them dry...well, touch 'em and you will be on your way to the burn ward before you can say "fried egg."