PDA

View Full Version : Radar Target

Old Guy
01-31-2002, 06:28 PM
Does anybody know if...when your headed straight at the dude with the radar gun and you put the tail way up...does the radar gun see the boat or the tail? The tail is lots bigger than the boat. Seems like you could screw up a reading.

riodog
01-31-2002, 09:34 PM
I believe it depends on if the boat is going forward or backwards. If you're going backwards then the radargun see's the tail first!
Just answer me this if you would be so kind. #1. why would you have the tail "way up"? #2. where did you find the "DUMMY" that would let you head straight at him at any speed that would be needing a radar reading?
The reason I ask is that I'd like to find someone to sit on the bow of my boat and take my picture at about 115 to 120 mph. I have't found anyone willing yet.
riodog

1quickjet
02-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Riodog, I thought you said Greg was going to take those pictures? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

riodog
02-01-2002, 02:18 PM
1quickjet, that was the plan BUT, #1. he couldn't figure out how to work the camera. #2. he wanted to be in the picture cuz he said he had more experience 'mugging' for the camera. #3. then he wanted me to hire one of them 'naked floozies' to sit on his, er I mean sit next to him, and then he was gonna bill me at his normal shop rate of $200. dollars an hour. I would have gone for it but when he found out that we were actually gonna put the boat in the WATER, he hit the ceiling saying "all my other pictures were taken with the boat still on the TRAILER". oh well, I'm still looking!

Infomaniac
02-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Where you gonna find a jetboat that goes 115-120?
JUST KIDDING !!

Old Guy
02-01-2002, 08:45 PM
RIODOG...
In answer to your questions, friendly competition on a lake often involves limited distance ahead. Last summer I was involved in such an event. I was a couple of boat lenghts ahead of the other guy (70+ mph) when I noticed that we were headed for a boat about 1/2 mile ahead. It was obvious that our event was over. He turned to the left, I put the tail way up and turned to the right. I was now close enough to see that the boat we were pointed at contained a sherriff's deputy with what looked like a radar gun. They do use them around here. We were both well over the local speed limit. The deputy didn't come after either of us. Maybe it was luck.

riodog
02-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Infomaniac,Wanna buy one? Fact is, I just did the top of the motor (cam,valves,springs,rockers,etc) and only have abouy 20 minutes on it.It will do that or it comes apart again!
Old Guy, I hadn't even thought about about Boatcop. dah. I was referring to a speed contest where as you were trying for a high speed reading. 'Tail' should be 2-3 ft tall and instead of aiming at another boat (that would be the dummy), we bounce the signal off of the bouy. This pertains to the slime-pit known as Elsinore.(no limit up the middle). If the unit were pointed up and the wall of water was solid enough (ice?),and are talking about radar or ir? Beats me but there's going to be a 'DO' at the lake in a few weeks and I'll see if we can get a reading on my tail for ya. lol

Old Guy
02-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by riodog:
Infomaniac,Wanna buy one? Fact is, I just did the top of the motor (cam,valves,springs,rockers,etc) and only have abouy 20 minutes on it.It will do that or it comes apart again!
Old Guy, I hadn't even thought about about Boatcop. dah. I was referring to a speed contest where as you were trying for a high speed reading. 'Tail' should be 2-3 ft tall and instead of aiming at another boat (that would be the dummy), we bounce the signal off of the bouy. This pertains to the slime-pit known as Elsinore.(no limit up the middle). If the unit were pointed up and the wall of water was solid enough (ice?),and are talking about radar or ir? Beats me but there's going to be a 'DO' at the lake in a few weeks and I'll see if we can get a reading on my tail for ya. lol
Thanks RIODOG
Old Guy