PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Drummers...

HammerDown
09-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Just won (on ebay) a like new Pearl Eliminator Double pedal...getting back into playing again and wanted to go back to double Bass like in the late 70's... well a double pedal this time. I really liked the speed of my SpeedKing and the solid feel of my Preimer 252, so I hope this is a little of both just x 2 :rollside:
PS. Eliminator...like my Boat... :notam:
Well, I thought it was kinda neet :rollside:

BlownHowardCat
09-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Didnt ya know ya can play dbl bass with a single pedal........Check this guy out Jo Jo Mayer (http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jojomayerbass.html)

XtrmWakeborder
09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Whats the drummer from Rush's name? That guys bad!

HammerDown
09-13-2004, 03:20 AM
Whats the drummer from Rush's name? That guys bad!
Neal Pert, also known as the professor.

HighRoller
09-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Neil Peart. Probably the best ever IMO. I used to have a Drum Workshop double pedal when they first came out and loved it. Pedal right next to the High Hat pedal, and people who didn't know what it was freaked when they heard double bass sound coming from one bass drum. I also wanted to get a right side Hi-Hat setup with a left side cable operated pedal, but never got that far. I miss playing the skins..........

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Carl Bowford (sp?) Dave Matthews Band. Now that guy can play some double base peddle.

Slib77
09-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Carter Beuford_DMB
Definetly one of the best.
My top 3
Danny Carey- TOOL
Carter Beuford-DMB
Neil Pert- Rush

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 09:43 AM
What about Stewart Copeland?

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Neal Peart would find it offensive to be called a "drummer"
he's a percussionist :D
He also writes the lyrics for all their songs.
enjoy your new pedal HD !
C.T. :wink:

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Steve Smith wasn't half bad either.

Charley
09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Bonham and Moon ;)

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Bonham = Superfoot. He didn't need no stinking double bass :crossx:

jtmarten
09-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater, or Mark Zonder from Fates Warning.
Steve Smith does some really nice work with Vital TechTones.

BlownHowardCat
09-13-2004, 10:51 AM
This Dood just rocks playing the cowbell (http://mknx.com/v/cowbell.wmv) lmao

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 10:55 AM
The guy for the Foo Fighters..... Dang it...... Can't remember his name...... Dang it!!! Taylor Hawkins??

BlownHowardCat
09-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Tony Royster Jr (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummersound/tonyroyster.ram) I saw this 11yr old kid perform with his drum instructor Dennis Chambers a few years ago

BlownHowardCat
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Terry Bozzio's kit
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/175terribozzio.jpg

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Yep forgot about Bozzio. He ain't bad :D

BigDogIvan
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Terry Bozzio's kit
Kit Hell!!!Thats a drum collection!! :eek:
BD

BigDogIvan
09-13-2004, 11:44 AM
AHMEN!!!! :cool:
BD

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I counted 5 basses. Even more peddles!! :jawdrop:

Dr. Eagle
09-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Just won (on ebay) a like new Pearl Eliminator Double pedal...getting back into playing again and wanted to go back to double Bass like in the late 70's... well a double pedal this time. I really liked the speed of my SpeedKing and the solid feel of my Preimer 252, so I hope this is a little of both just x 2 :rollside:
PS. Eliminator...like my Boat... :notam:
Well, I thought it was kinda neet :rollside:
Cool! I got home last week to start working up in Northern Cal and got a call from the band I was in for the past 6 years, but had to drop from to go work in Southern Cal. The band leader said they had three bassists in that period of time and couldn't find a competent one, and asked me if I were interested in returning to the band. I said sure enough! So we play a show next month at Raley Field (the local AAA ball stadium) playing as the backup for a former member of the Hollies and another band of the 60's called Spiral Staircase. We practiced yesterday and ran right through the charts.
Have fun with the new toy!

Dr. Eagle
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Neil Peart. Probably the best ever IMO. I used to have a Drum Workshop double pedal when they first came out and loved it. Pedal right next to the High Hat pedal, and people who didn't know what it was freaked when they heard double bass sound coming from one bass drum. I also wanted to get a right side Hi-Hat setup with a left side cable operated pedal, but never got that far. I miss playing the skins..........
I agree, I love Neil Peart... can play with both emotion and precision.
:hammerhea

JustMVG
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
didn't need any stick's either :D during his solos he'd bang away with his hands. Bonzo was awesome, but what about Carl Palmer of ELP? Not a bad percussionist himself, for that matter Chester Thompson from Genesis(Live Shows) and Phil Collins

Dr. Eagle
09-13-2004, 12:01 PM
didn't need any stick's either :D during his solos he'd bang away with his hands. Bonzo was awesome, but what about Carl Palmer of ELP? Not a bad percussionist himself, for that matter Chester Thompson from Genesis(Live Shows) and Phil Collins
I used to like Carl Palmer more than any other. I really think Neil Peart has his precision and some emotion that was missing from ELPs work...

JustMVG
09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Agreed, CP as were the rest of that band were Classically trained musicians, and when i listen to them now i hear them differently then i did when i was younger, uhhh , muuuch younger, the band seems more precise and robotic, typical for the times i guess. Still great music, also Peart's lyrics i would think inspires his playing and what you hear is that emotion, great guy to watch play, amizing what he can do. Mike VG

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Terry Bozzio's kit
excellent call ! Missing hickups err Persons was one of my favs back in the 80s

JustMVG
09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
I got to see Terry play w Stevie Ray and BB King @ The Ventura Theater, great great show one i'll never forget!!!
Mike VG

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
No Sticks :D Totally forgot about that.
Chester and Phil, both great!

HammerDown
09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Belive this...I can hit anything Bonham did with only one bass such as (Good Times Bad Times etc)... Eaaaasy!
The hands of Ian Paice >(Deep Purple) and the right foot/feel of Bonham was ALL I was about in my earler learning years.
However theres some expression/feel a double pedal gives that a single can't.
And I'm not just talking non stop 16'th note's like some of the head bangers/thrash such as Slayer :notam: ... That's not my style at all.

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Belive this...I can hit anything Bonham did with only one bass such as (Good Times Bad Times etc)... Eaaaasy!
The hands of Ian Paice >(Deep Purple) and the right foot/feel of Bonham was ALL I was about in my earler learning years.
However theres some expression/feel a double pedal gives that a single can't.
And I'm not just talking non stop 16'th note's like some of the head bangers/thrash such as Slayer :notam: ... That's not my style at all.
I got NO problem with a Double Bass. If I was still playing I'd get one for sure. Almost bought the DW model a couple of years ago and didn't. I need to get a life :notam:

Dr. Eagle
09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Agreed, CP as were the rest of that band were Classically trained musicians, and when i listen to them now i hear them differently then i did when i was younger
Yep, me too! I still remember the 1974 concert at the Anaheim Convention Center with ELP, the quad sound system... the flying piano... so good, those guys were awesome.

rmylek
09-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I used to run sound at a few clubs in the SF bay area. I used to prefer they have double pedels over double kick. half of guys couldn't tune one kick, do you think they could tune two of them.

Dr. Eagle
09-13-2004, 06:47 PM
I used to run sound at a few clubs in the SF bay area. I used to prefer they have double pedels over double kick. half of guys couldn't tune one kick, do you think they could tune two of them.
Not just the Kick... I have played with drummers that just didn't seem to have a clue how to tune their drum heads in general.

FMluvswater
09-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Well since there's no wetnaps in here HD (I told you I have to stalk you now to find the witty gems ;) :D ) can I just say the eliminator kwinkydink is pretty neat ;) :D and for on topicness uhhhh the drummer I admire most is Rick Savage (Def Leppard) don't know what y'all think of his skills but he impresses the hell out of me and I love Def Leppard's style. :cool:

JustMVG
09-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Well Rick is a good drummer now, one handed and all, but much better in the past before the accident, the technology today makes him sound better, saw the band before and after, IMHO, better before, not quite as good after.
Too bad. Lots of talent lost. Mike VG

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:04 AM
Well since there's no wetnaps in here HD (I told you I have to stalk you now to find the witty gems ;) :D ) can I just say the eliminator kwinkydink is pretty neat ;) :D and for on topicness uhhhh the drummer I admire most is Rick Savage (Def Leppard) don't know what y'all think of his skills but he impresses the hell out of me and I love Def Leppard's style. :cool:
:notam: Ahem.... Rick Allen is the drummer. Savage is the bass player :rolleyes:
I win :D

Dr. Eagle
09-14-2004, 05:07 AM
:notam: Ahem.... Rick Allen is the drummer. Savage is the bass player :rolleyes:
Well, hie's pretty good too... :wink: And of course the Bass and Drums are joined at the hip... :eek:

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Well, hie's pretty good too... :wink: And of course the Bass and Drums are joined at the hip... :eek:
No doubt, but sometimes the relationship is like this :lightsabe :hammerhea :boxingguy

Dr. Eagle
09-14-2004, 05:13 AM
No doubt, but sometimes the relationship is like this :lightsabe :hammerhea :boxingguy
When one doesn't mesh with the other... it's just like that. In fact before I returned to my band this last weekend, the guy they had filling in for me and the drummer were just about like that :hammerhea from what I was told... :argue: :220v:

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:19 AM
When one doesn't mesh with the other... it's just like that. In fact before I returned to my band this last weekend, the guy they had filling in for me and the drummer were just about like that :hammerhea from what I was told... :argue: :220v:
Usually caused by a double bass :D

Charley
09-14-2004, 06:01 AM
I was very impressed by Tommy Lee in his performance on that houseboat video! :D

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 06:26 AM
I was very impressed by Tommy Lee in his performance on that houseboat video! :D
I never saw it. Did he do any double strokes??? :D

JustMVG
09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
excellent call ! Missing hickups err Persons was one of my favs back in the 80s
Yeah gotta love Dales "Hic-ups, but who could forget the Fishbowl-dome bikini top? :D :redface:
Mike VG

JustMVG
09-14-2004, 07:39 AM
I didn't see Alan White from Yes mentioned yet, great drummer /percussionist have to be with that band.
Mike VG

Charley
09-14-2004, 08:52 AM
I never saw it. Did he do any double strokes??? :D
Dont recall but Pam has a nice pair a diddles

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Dont recall but Pam has a nice pair a diddles
Yup, para :D diddles

FMluvswater
09-14-2004, 10:12 AM
I shoulda Googled to make sure lol Rick Allen yeah him he's the drummer that impresses me :rolleyes: I just get his last name wrong is all. :D :o Good to know Savage is at least Def Leppard related (my memory hates me I think. :( )

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 10:13 AM
I shoulda Googled to make sure lol Rick Allen yeah him he's the drummer that impresses me :rolleyes: I just get his last name wrong is all. :D :o Good to know Savage is at least Def Leppard related (my memory hates me I think. :( )
I just think you have the hots for Rick Savage :rolleyes:

FMluvswater
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
I just think you have the hots for Rick Savage :rolleyes:
Huh? :confused: There IS a Rick Savage? Who's he now?

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Huh? :confused: There IS a Rick Savage? Who's he now?
Bass Player - Def Leppard

FMluvswater
09-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Bass Player - Def Leppard
LMFAO! :D :D Doh! Two Rick's no freaking wonder! Rick "one arm" Allen and Rick Savage bass got it for now ... can't promise to keep it straight. So drums and drummers eh? :D (Sorry HD I'll shut up now. :o )

BlownHowardCat
09-14-2004, 10:26 AM
How about bonzo's son Jason
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/175jasonbonham12.jpg
I've seen him do a clinic or 2 has some of pops chops

BlownHowardCat
09-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Double bass is for kids.........its all about triple bass nowdays
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/175asppg_Iy360589373.jpg

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
That looks as expensive as the V's Hairless Kitty :D