PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts?

jwbbuck
04-02-2002, 10:13 AM
I'm just about ready to drop the motor back in my 20' Eliminator. The previous owner had his 502 mounted with 4 bolts through the stringers - no inserts in the bolt holes or other reinforcements. The holes haven't elongated at all, but should I consider some type of reinforcement to distribute the load a little more. It just doesn't look like it's a good idea to put 800 pounds of BBC on a 2"x6". Should I "cap" the stringers with a formed aluminum plate and bolt through 'em? or try something else?

HBjet
04-02-2002, 10:39 AM
That is exactly what you should do. I was having the same problem. I have the old Glenwood motor mounts, and the bolts that went through the stringers had 1" alum. stringer washers on them which were pulling through the stringers. What I was going to do (before I opted for the rail kit) was have some 6" 90 degree angled aluminum cut down to 1-1/2 inch on one side of the angle and whatever length it was to cover the outside of the stringer (4") on the other side. This angled piece would be about 30 inches long, and I would have a few cut outs on the stringer side for looks. When finished, the 1-1/2" part would rest ontop of your stringer while the 4" side rested against the outside. Once you have this clamped inplace, drill out your holds using the holes in the stringers as guides. I hope this makes sense. Now, if the existing holes in the stringers are worn (oval looking) I would suggest drilling out the hole to a larger size (1/2") and then filling the hole with 1/2" round wood. Re-glass them up and drill new holes. I have photos of RR doing this on my boat. Email me and I'll send them over.
HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited April 02, 2002).]

Bense468
04-02-2002, 01:41 PM
HBJET you are my Hero.

HBjet
04-02-2002, 01:48 PM
I know!
haha! J/K
Thanks!
HBjet

mtnspan
04-02-2002, 03:57 PM
HBjet, I'm working on a similar project.
Your advise was just what I needed.
Could you send me those pics as well?

HBjet
04-02-2002, 04:31 PM
sure thing, I will send them tonight when I get home (couple of hours)
HBjet

rivercrazy
04-02-2002, 04:35 PM
HB "Help a Buddy" Jet.