PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise, How many starter shims????

MidnightMantra
09-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Had to replace the starter today on the ole boat. THe one I took off had no starter shims. I installed the new one without any also but now the starter makes an awfull grinding noise and locks the selonoid gear in the flywheel. I have to turn the flywheel counter clockwise an inch and it comes unstuck. I have three (3) shims that came with the new starter. They all seem to be the same thickness. Any suggestions on how many I should use to free up the starter. I only want to do this one time. It is hell getting the starter off even with the headers off, not much space. I was going to go with two (2), a happy medium. What do you think? Any suggestions??

Clutch
09-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Hey Mantra
You got the starter blues too? Just pulled mine off last night a tci it got a little wet but good to go now.I run 3 in mine, the only wat to know for sure (you're not going to like this) is pull the bell housing,and inbetween the starter bendix and the flexplate you should be able to slide in an 1/8" drill bit other than that keep adding shims till it diesn't hang up.But the problem w/ that is your eating up your flexpalte in the process. Hope this helps ya :shift:

MidnightMantra
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the input there CLUTCH but I dont think I am going to pull the engine. Way too much work for what little boating season is left. I will have to play with the shims I guess. I just want to get the boat out about 4 more times this season to tweek some more mph out of her. Gonna go thru the pump over the winter, trying to get the engine dialed in for what pump mods I want to make. Thanks for the input anyhow.

Shark In The Pond
09-13-2004, 02:12 PM
By pulling back the bell housing you should be able to see the flywheel and starter pretty good and then you can see how much to shim it ?

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-13-2004, 04:44 PM
There are many ways to shim a starter. Some people do it by sound. Some by 1/8th drill bit between bendix & flywheel. Some remove the solinoid and manually move the bendix out. I prefer white grease on the flywheel or spray paint on the flywheel. But do do it proper you must do it all the way around the diameter, most flywheels are egg shaped. you don't have to take the starter out to shim it , just remove the outer bolt and loosen the inner bolt. Most people just get lazy and do it by sound!! Budlight :D :D :D

Roman 1
09-13-2004, 05:00 PM
You can go down to Napa and buy the correct bolts with the shoulder that correctly lines up the starter. They are in the "Help" section. The original GM starter bolts are often misplaced or trashed by people who don't realize they have an aligning shoulder. You can also use shims and a good size paperclip to set the clearance, the correct bolts are easier and right every time.
RC :cool:

Infomaniac
09-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Take the solenoid off with the starter installed on the engine, actuate the bendix by hand, take a look and shim the starter accordingly. If you cannot see it well, shim it until the bendix will engage the flywheel without banging into it.

berk
09-13-2004, 06:30 PM
very creative guys but why not just compare the throw of the old starter and shim the new one to match? :jawdrop:

steelcomp
09-13-2004, 06:37 PM
very creative guys but why not just compare the throw of the old starter and shim the new one to match? :jawdrop:
Compare it to what?:confused:

sanger rat
09-13-2004, 07:45 PM
You could swap the nose cones too. Or get the old one rebuilt.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-14-2004, 04:03 AM
Hell, just call CP and order a new bellhousing and a reverse rotation starter then get back on the sidejob to pay for it!!!!