PDA

View Full Version : Attention all deckboat owners....

Catatonic
09-13-2004, 02:39 PM
I have only owned V's and Cats but never have I owned a deckboat. This weekend at Havasu, my buddy pulled up in his new 28' Lavey deckboat and my wife was totally digging it. She really liked the fact that the kids could wash their feet off and all of the sand and crap just washes down the drain. Needless to say we are now looking at trading in the 25' Eliminator Eagle for a deck. I met with Keith at Conquest on Saturday and he treated me very well. I am also going to look at Magic and Eliminator's decks. My main concern is that the family will not like the extra wind while driving. What does everyone like and/or not like about these boats?

OutCole'd
09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I have a Magic and could not be happier. As far as wind, I have the windshields and it help the driver & passenger only. I am sure it is pretty windy, but it is worth every penny to me. The kids do not have to climb all over the interior to climb from the back of the boat to run & jump off the front, (which it seems as all we do when we boat).
I beach and float, not too much boating.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Party Cat
09-13-2004, 03:00 PM
We've had our 26' Advantage Party Cat for 3 yrs...It's been a great boat for the family for all of the reasons that Outcoled mentioned...We have a 5 and 7 yo and I like the higher sides of the boat that the 22 and 26 PC's have...the wife feels the kids have less of a chance to get bounced out...I also like that the back is a foot or so higher...it's a little easier to see over the peeps that just can't seem to stay seated when ya cruise the channel :) .....and then there's a place for a Brass Flag pole too :D :D

Mike67rs
09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
I am real happy with mine too. Nothing like pulling up to a beach and walking off the front. The wash down system is great, no worries about sand. The wind does not bother me or my 4 year old nephew.

imbndvs
09-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I have the 27 Eliminator deck boat that I have had for 3 years now. GREAT boat!!! Very happy with the quality. I looked at many others before ordering the Eliminator and found that if you looked close, the qualiy of the Eliminator is FAR better than the other manufactures. You may pay a little more for the Eliminator but is is worth it. I have the 600 DPX in mine which is not made any more and my only recomondation is DO NOT underpower.

nodigg
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with all that everyone said above, (even PC) ;) . My kids have enjoyed the front deck jumping and I have enjoyed the front deck boarding, space and performance of the cat hull. You asked for the down side of a deck boat? THE WIND! ALL THE TIME! lol! Two can hide from it a bit but everyone else is out of luck. (The kids never complained). One other disadvantage I can think of is in rough seas while at rest...DON'T DO IT! But just in case be sure to get three bilge pumps, one for each pod. The only other bad thing is the lower speed due to poor aerodynamics but hey, its a family boat right? right.................most of the time.
edit/Oh and I am in my 6th season of Cheetah FasCat enjoyment.

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I have only owned V's and Cats but never have I owned a deckboat. This weekend at Havasu, my buddy pulled up in his new 28' Lavey deckboat and my wife was totally digging it. She really liked the fact that the kids could wash their feet off and all of the sand and crap just washes down the drain. Needless to say we are now looking at trading in the 25' Eliminator Eagle for a deck. I met with Keith at Conquest on Saturday and he treated me very well. I am also going to look at Magic and Eliminator's decks. My main concern is that the family will not like the extra wind while driving. What does everyone like and/or not like about these boats?
Everytime I mention the wife not liking the wind I get a raft of poop from board members. My wife will not let me buy one of the cool deckboats because of the no windshield thing. Unhappy wife = bad day on the lake.

bohica
09-14-2004, 11:43 AM
I just picked up a Conquest Top Cat II, and couldn't be happier with the ride quality. Coming from a 34' deep V, I'd honestly have to say the Conquest has a much better ride in the everyday type chop on Havasu. The windshields do a good job of blocking the wind for the driver and passenger. I can keep a hat on a WOT and not worry about it blowing off. Kids love the wind so sitting on the bow seats is their favorite position. I've got the cuddy cabin in mine, and it comes in handy. Daughter wasn't feeling well last weekend. She just grabbed a pillow, put in her favorite DVD, turned the fan on and she was set. Heard from Keith that they might not do anymore cuddy cabins, but if you threw enough money at them, I'm sure they'd do it.

Froggystyle
09-14-2004, 11:47 AM
What does everyone like and/or not like about these boats?
They take WAY too long to design, build, prototype and begin production on... ;)

Catatonic
09-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys for all of the responses. We will be back at Havi this weekend and there may be a for sale sign on my boat.

Speedin' Ian
09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Come on Froggystyle we need updates!!! WHat's up with that motor did you get the blower and EFI on it yet? How about the fiberglass?

MagicAct
09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I to came out of a V bottom into a deckboat. After looking at all of them we chose the Magic. We love it. Each weekend we have 7 to 10 of us running all over Havasu in all types of water. Lot's of wind but who cares it's great fun for all. The open deck plan works great with the kids (and adults going to the Naked Turtle) when beached.
Go see Casey at Magic, he is great to work with and has become a great friend with our family.
Good luck.. :rollside:

JB in so cal
09-14-2004, 02:24 PM
My old boat had a windshield :jawdrop: but I always sat above it so I could see over everyone. The only time I notice the wind is heading into it, it adds another 5 to 10 mph in your face - kinda sucks the tears right on out...
I'll probably wind up with wind screens.
Oh BTW, my wife used to have the "no windshield, no deal" mindset, but one ride in the boat changed her mind.
I love my Magic!
JB

phebus
09-14-2004, 02:27 PM
The only time I miss the windshields, is when I catch a grasshopper, bee, or some other big bug in the face.

nodigg
09-14-2004, 04:52 PM
BTW, My wife will divorce me if I get anything other than a deck boat from now on and she HATES the wind too!

OutCole'd
09-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Did I mention how much storage is on these boats??

DryHeatOnly
09-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Everytime I mention the wife not liking the wind I get a raft of poop from board members. My wife will not let me buy one of the cool deckboats because of the no windshield thing. Unhappy wife = bad day on the lake.
Get one with a built-in head, cut a whole, and whalla! Wind protection :D

CJ
09-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Do your research on Magic/Sleek. The owner does not stand behind his boats. Magic's integrity is a huge question. I LOVED their boats until the owner made me damn sure that he DID NOT deserve my dollar. He has kicked two of my friends out of the shop after they had issues with the boats.
Whatever you end up buying, make sure the company will stand behind you even when you have a problem. Ask the right questions, GET THE ANSWERS IN WRITING.
If you want an Eliminator, talk to me. I will give you the person to talk to!
Great luck! Keep us all updated.

nodigg
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Do your research on Magic/Sleek. The owner does not stand behind his boats. Magic's integrity is a huge question. I LOVED their boats until the owner made me damn sure that he DID NOT deserve my dollar. He has kicked two of my friends out of the shop after they had issues with the boats.
Whatever you end up buying, make sure the company will stand behind you even when you have a problem. Ask the right questions, GET THE ANSWERS IN WRITING.
If you want an Eliminator, talk to me. I will give you the person to talk to!
Great luck! Keep us all updated.
I can see how you would feel it should be in writing. Too bad that had to be that way. I had nothing in writing and still get taken care of 6 years later! GO CHEETAH BOB!

Catatonic
09-16-2004, 05:44 AM
CJ, I am in the midst of doing my due diligence which includes going back to meet with Keith at Conquest and talking to Magic this weekend. I have no questions about Eliminator's quality because I currently own one. Bob Leach lives in my neighborhood in Temecula and he has always been very cordial to me. I have no doubt that he would stand behind any boat that I buy from him.

Froggystyle
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
CJ, I am in the midst of doing my due diligence which includes going back to meet with Keith at Conquest and talking to Magic this weekend. I have no questions about Eliminator's quality because I currently own one. Bob Leach lives in my neighborhood in Temecula and he has always been very cordial to me. I have no doubt that he would stand behind any boat that I buy from him.
Of your selections, I think that Keith is likely to be the man for the job. I have never heard of anyone he didn't end up making 100% happy with their purchase.

OutCole'd
09-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Dont let one post steer you away from Magic. There a lot of Happy Magic customers here also.
Keith is awesome. I bet he made many people happy owners when he sold for Magic also.

JB in so cal
09-16-2004, 01:14 PM
I echo what OutColed says. No problems so far including the first service. Clu is awesome down at the service shack; They told me exactly how long to buiild it and it was early.
I reeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyy like my boat!
JB

hot_diggity_dog
09-16-2004, 02:05 PM
This is the old Cheetah in action. :D
http://www.riverratlife.com/images/HDD.gif
HDD :D

Hustler
09-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Dont let one post steer you away from Magic. There a lot of Happy Magic customers here also.
Keith is awesome. I bet he made many people happy owners when he sold for Magic also.
CJ would not be the only person to frown on Magic, I really like there boats ALOT but unfortunatly for the way they have treated a few friends and other I have talked to they will never get my money. Ask Keith why he no longer works there :jawdrop: