PDA

View Full Version : Tahiti jet baot

harlyfan
07-06-2001, 04:06 PM
I am looking at a 19 ft 1979 Tahiti jet boat powered by a 460 with a panther jet pump. Is any one familiar with this particular style of boat? If so, is there any good or bad areas to look at? What should I be able to expect for performance, the engine does not appear to be too modified. I am new to the jet boat scene, so any points would be of help.
Thanks, Jim

Rivertoys_com
07-06-2001, 04:27 PM
I don't think my 18' Hawaiian is too different from that boat. One thing I didn't know to look for is a soft floor. Esp under the driver's seat. I had to replace the floor not long after buying mine (I'd have still bought it but it's a good thing to check). I also have a 460 but it's coupled to a Berk. I now like the 460. I was really a chevy guy before getting this boat, but the 460 has proved to be a good motor. My 460 is pretty strong and very tight (there are photos & specs on my website: http://www.rivertoys.com/gallery/1976H.html). I get very good performance out of it. It's run 68 on GPS in less than ideal conditions. Hope that helps a bit. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy45.gif Jason
[This message has been edited by Rivertoys_com (edited July 06, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Rivertoys_com (edited July 06, 2001).]

harlyfan
07-06-2001, 04:43 PM
Jason, thanks for the reply. When I look at this boat I'll be sure to check the floor for rot. For some reason I was thinking that it would have a fiberglass floor, I don't know why I was thinking that. I guess because my Sidewinder ski boat has a fiberglass floor. Like you, I am a die-hard Chevy fan, and I do not know anything about the 460 Fords. ( I do wish that I would have paid more attention to how I spelled boat on my original posting )
Thanks again Jim

Cas42
07-06-2001, 08:37 PM
Harly,
I currently own my third Tahiti and this is the first with a Panther jet. For some reason, I really like the Tahiti's. Anyway, here's my checklist when I went looking to buy any type of boat, if for nothing else, I know what I'm getting into.
Hull-
1. check bottom for any repairs and/or if the owner ran it up on the beach a lot.
2. the amount of stress cracks. In most cases if there's a lot of stress cracks, the boat has been used pretty hard.
3. areas where the gelcoat may have been patched
4. softness in the floor
5. Also check the bottom for excessive hook (waves from front to back)
Interior-
1. rips, tears
2. pull up the seats and check for rot in the framing
Electrical-
1. do all the gauges work
2. does the wiring look like it's been tampered with and how much
Pump- (learned this after getting a Panther)
1. bring a flashlight and a crescent wrench
2. look into the rear nozzle and check the stator housing for large pits
3. check the grate for missing or damaged fins
4. look up through the grate for any apparent problems
5. Use the wrench to check the oil level and it's condition. There's a dip stick at the front of the pump that looks like a 2" nut that you need to unscrew. Make sure the oil is at the proper level and it's fairly clean and not a milky color.
5. Ask the owner how often he/she greased the zerk fitting at the rear. Excellent would be every 25 hrs of use, good- every 50 to 60 hrs. Bad thing is, most people don't even know it's there.
Engine-
1. check oil
2. how easily does it start
3. does it smoke on start up
4. check cooling hoses
5. check belt
6. magnetic or point distributor
7. pull a least one plug to see the condition
Misc-
1. forward reverse work smoothly and easily
2. steering move easily
3. check bilge pump
4. if it has a covered engine, does the exhaust fan work
As far as the Panther goes, you won't have as many options for upgrades as you do with a Berk, Legend or similar pump. If you're looking for speed, Panthers really aren't a real good choice. A stock pump will handle up to about 80mph or so but you'll need a lot of HP. For me, the Panther works fine, it's real good for skiing, low maintainance, real easy to work on and easier to get sucked up debris out of. Panthers come stock with a SS impeller that are pretty darn sharp that cut up most anything that goes in, even small rocks.
Anyway, I hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Cas42
07-06-2001, 08:44 PM
btw, if you go back a couple of pages, there are a couple of other headings for Panther's and Tahiti's.

harlyfan
07-07-2001, 06:20 AM
my next question would be if you can get much for a rooster tail out of a panther pump? If so, how would this be done?
Jim.

Cas42
07-07-2001, 06:29 AM
yep, and it's done by modifying the stator housing to insert a stainless steel nozzle assembly. $800 at Panther

johnnie jetboat
07-07-2001, 07:35 AM
Be sure to thoroughly inspect the stringers(the ribs that run the length of the boat that the engine is bolted to). A friend of mine almost lost the engine out of a Sanger bubble deck last year(it jumped right off the floor, held in place only by the drive shaft)...due by rotten stringers and a heavy foot stomp http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif.

harlyfan
07-07-2001, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses, especially the check list on what ot look for.
Jim