PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl or paint

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Just wondering how many of you have your reg numbers in vinyl and how many in paint. Why do you go the way you did, was it just money or physical reasons.
I'm trying to decide which way to go for my numbers. I was told that painting is not good for the gel coat. As you may have guessed, I don't know $hit about either.
Any help would be appreciated.

Rev. Williams
09-14-2004, 08:30 AM
My thought has always been vinyl stickers..... You can get bad-ass ones made now and if they ever get scratched it's nothing to replace.

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Do you have a certain vendor who does awsome graphics?

BarryMac
09-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Mine are going to be airbrushed on this winter, I personally like the looks of I think it's more of a custom look. Another factor for anyone considering is airbrushed are also about 10x's more to do than vinyl...
gjb

Mandelon
09-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Vinyl is cheap. Of course it looks cheap, too. I used vinyl temporarily on my boat until I have time to get it painted and decide exactly on the design and font style for the painted on numbers and name.
The paint will not mess up the gel coat. The gel could fade where the numbers are not, but that could happen with vinyl too.
I used www.edecals.com and they were quick and affordable.

Rev. Williams
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
They had/have a nice site, but I can't find it. Give them a call and I'm sure they can hook you up. I was in their shop last year and they were doing some wild looking vinyls for the LAFD. Most of what they do is airbrushing on vinyl, then it's shot with a clear and sealed. You'd be hard pressed to tell if it's paited on or a sticker. But you sure will notice the price difference between the two :D :D
Airbrushing Unlimited, 818-991-5978, 31200 La Baya Dr, Westlake Village, CA, 91362

Huckleberry
09-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Vinyl all the way. I used The Graphics Company in Elsinore to do the name on the back of my boat. It came out awesome. They do tons of work on boats and race team stuff. Their number is (951) 245-7127.

Big_Gunz_
09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
I have vinyl. It was part of the package when I bought the boat. They matched the reg numbers with the graphics of the boat. I really didn't have to think too much about it, they just said they would do it and it would be ready before it rolled off the lot.

Cole Sanger
09-14-2004, 12:25 PM
It is a lot easier to change the numbers if you ever sell it out of state. Trust me on that.

Roxysnow
09-14-2004, 12:46 PM
We have vinyl for ours. easy to replace if scratched and the designs are way better than the past. Ours is in old english w/ a second set that shadows. Looks sweet.

Captain Dan
09-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Lil Harley - didn't I read on another post that you just ordered an Ultra 24 Stealth? John West does the CF #'s in vinyl, and they color match them to your boat - if you want to do something extraorinary, run it past him - he can get all sorts of funky if that's what you are looking for. ;)

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Lil Harley - didn't I read on another post that you just ordered an Ultra 24 Stealth? John West does the CF #'s in vinyl, and they color match them to your boat - if you want to do something extraorinary, run it past him - he can get all sorts of funky if that's what you are looking for. ;)
Yes, John is the one that told me they would give me vinyl, but I always thought that paint was the way to go. Then he explained and I was hoping to get feedback, that after painting, if you remove the paint, there can be indentations (from the gel and the paint both containing active ingredients). I never heard of this so I thought I would ask all of you if there had been anything someone may have noticed.
Vinyl is OK, but I have never like the fact they can peel, feel the edges, etc. Hell, I don't know.
The Ultra logo and "Stealth 24" are vinyl stickers and I asked John not to put those on the boat. I asked if he would paint them on or even in the gel, I just didn't want stickers. No such luck. This when it was explained to me about the paint not being good for the gel.

phebus
09-14-2004, 02:09 PM
My boat had CF numbers painted on it that I removed to put on AZ numbers, and there isn't a trace of the old numbers on it. They had been applied when the boat was new, and were on for approx. two years. The new numbers were applied in a different location, so it is not like they are just covering up the old marks.

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks phebus ...

phebus
09-14-2004, 02:22 PM
And yes, there are some very nice vinyls out there, and yes vinyl is very functional........But, if you get the right person to paint your numbers on it is day and night different. We had Pat Kuntz paint our's on out in Havasu, and they look great. If I am spending my kid's inheritance on a boat (what they cost theese days), I am not going to scrimp on the cost of the numbers.

Bahner tunnel
09-14-2004, 04:27 PM
If your still on the fence about vinyl , check out www.decalzone.com . I bought a set fot the boat and the ski and they look sweet. They have a pretty trick website where you can choose from about 50 different fonts as well as drop shadows and outlined letters. On the site you can enter the color of your boat and the font and colors and it will show you a preview and tell you length of the decal so you can see where it will fit. I have purple letters with silver metallic borders that look pretty sweet for the price. They where $26.00 for a pair of reg. #'s with priority mail shipping as well as a install squeegee(sp).They took 3 days to get from the time they where ordered. Not to shabby for the $$$$$$$$.

Family4Day
09-14-2004, 05:57 PM
LilHarley-
In the riverside area is Dave Barr of Cal-Graphics. He does all the painted graphics on the LaveyCraft boats and he does cut vinyl. I saw you were in Riverside so it might be close. If you need the number, I can dig up a business card. I only know his work, and Lavey uses him, so I went with him and was not disappointed. He has a stencil that he used to actually airbrush flames inside our reg numbers. looks good. You know the flames and fireman, can never get enough! Like everyone has said, vinyl is easily replaced, but airbrush looks great-he does both. Good luck.
Todd

voodoomedman
09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
I've got a new Ultra 24 Stealth and the Vinyl graphics look pretty sweet and match my boat. I don't think John is pulling your leg. He has probably seen many cases where the paint wasn't good for the gel. Although I agree it's probably one of those things where either you have the problem or you don't. John likes his boats to look good on the water and he's into the customers best interest. He doesn't like to gel in numbers or boat names because when you go to sell it then it will be hard to sell it out of state with those numbers permanent. And it will be kind of hard to off a boat with a name like Purple Nurple gelled in.

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks voodomedman. I definitely know that John has my best interests at heart. The time he took with a dumb $hit like me was phenominal in explaining everything. I guess I'm just old school where I like the airbrush look and feel. The Ultra logo looks so sweet on the back, if I don't use the sticker I wanted it air brushed on. I'm just flip flopping around. I felt bad even asking the question because I know John is just looking out for me.

voodoomedman
09-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks voodomedman. I definitely know that John has my best interests at heart. The time he took with a dumb $hit like me was phenominal in explaining everything. I guess I'm just old school where I like the airbrush look and feel. The Ultra logo looks so sweet on the back, if I don't use the sticker I wanted it air brushed on. I'm just flip flopping around. I felt bad even asking the question because I know John is just looking out for me.
No problemo!!! I know what your talking about. I drove those guys nuts when they were building my boat and I felt like an a$$ buggin so much. They don't even bat an eye and just take care of you. Your gonna have fun with that boat. What engine did you get???? Options???

LilHarley
09-14-2004, 10:02 PM
No problemo!!! I know what your talking about. I drove those guys nuts when they were building my boat and I felt like an a$$ buggin so much. They don't even bat an eye and just take care of you. Your gonna have fun with that boat. What engine did you get???? Options???
I got the 496 Mag, gaffrig controls & gauges, Dana hinges, Dana LT-500 trim tabs, upgraded the stereo, drive shower and some other little stuff. Steve just mailed me and said they will be spraying and laying it up this week some time. Can't wait.

voodoomedman
09-15-2004, 05:16 PM
I got the 496 Mag, gaffrig controls & gauges, Dana hinges, Dana LT-500 trim tabs, upgraded the stereo, drive shower and some other little stuff. Steve just mailed me and said they will be spraying and laying it up this week some time. Can't wait.
That's gonna be sweet. I got the same engine and can run 70 loaded up. You may just get better with those trim tabs. Stereo's sweet. I assuming you will have JL Audio up to gazoo. Mine is freaking loud. You will definately have to post pictures when you get them.

LilHarley
09-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Well Voodoomedman, I hope to have some pictures next week. I am going down to Ultra on Tuesday and hopefully will get a few pics on whatever stage it's in! It sounds like you really like your Stealth! I am so jazzed. For 6 years I've had a pontoon, great party boat, but just not very fast. Good to hear I will be able to do 70 and maybe my stereo will be almost as loud!!

voodoomedman
09-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Mike,
The names Jason and yeah I love my boat. Be jazzed because your gonna love yours.

waterslinger
09-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I use vinyl. Easy for me, have a plotter to make them just like the pros.
Can make you some if you want.

waterslinger
09-17-2004, 10:17 AM
My scoop