PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Thunderboat Regatta

Lightning
09-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Who's going???
-------------------
San Diego Thunderboat Regatta 2004
Formerly the San Diego Bayfair, this regatta returns Sept. 17-19 for three full days of rip-roarin' water competition, starring some of the fastest boats in the world.
Where: Mission Bay
W. Mission Bay Drive and Mission Boulevard
San Diego, CA
When: Gates open at 7:30 a.m. daily
Price: $25-$45. Info: (619) 225-9160.
Event Profile
If "fast" and "loud" sound like your idea of a good time, Mission Bay will be your kind of place for one weekend this fall. The event, which has taken place in Mission Bay since 1964, features 23 different race classes, making it the largest event of its kind.
Thunderboats (formerly San Diego Bayfair), the "World Series of Powerboat Racing," returns Sept. 17-19 for three full days of rip-roarin' water competition, starring some of the fastest boats in the world.
How fast? Try 210 mph, the peak for an unlimited hydroplane. And in only six seconds, unlimiteds can reach 100 mph. That's fast.
Powerboats of just about every kind will crowd the bay, from formula ones with their small tunnel hulls and Mercury engines, to cigarette boats, built long and narrow. Like their automobile counterparts, drag boats will race quarter-mile stretches, while other vessels, like the unlimiteds and stock boats, will race around pre-marked courses.
Coinciding with the races will be several musical performances and a fireworks extravaganza following the concert Saturday.
Crown Point is the spot to catch drag boat races, while unlimited hydros can be best seen from Fiesta Island.
A three-day ticket package is $40 in advance or $45 at the gate. Single-day passes are $25 for Friday and Saturday and $35 for Sunday. Pit passes range from $15-$25 and parking is anywhere from $10-$20 daily. Kids six and under get in free.
SignOnSanDiego

PHOTOGLOU
09-15-2004, 07:30 AM
We'll be there and Roln20s is going too.

jackpunx
09-15-2004, 07:37 AM
I'll be there with 3do..
cant wait.. been waiting for this all year

RexRathburn
09-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm probably going down on Sunday. I read somewhere that this is Miss Bud's last race. Have you guys heard that too?

boat030
09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm going, driving a white comp hydro boat #737, Jackpunx I just left you message we got too hook up for some cold ones after the races :rollside:

Three Days Only
09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm going, driving a white comp hydro boat #737, Jackpunx I just left you message we got too hook up for some cold ones after the races :rollside:
Bitchen, we will look for you when we get down there. We will be parked over at the inlet between the 1/4 mile drag section, f-1 course, and the hydros. C-ya out there

boat030
09-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Bitchen, we will look for you when we get down there. We will be parked over at the inlet between the 1/4 mile drag section, f-1 course, and the hydros. C-ya out there
Yeah I just talked too jackpunx he's going too call me on friday morning when you guys are on your way down, I didn't know they were doing a poker run as well. Is there anything they aren't doing at this event??

boatslayer
09-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah I just talked too jackpunx he's going too call me on friday morning when you guys are on your way down, I didn't know they were doing a poker run as well. Is there anything they aren't doing at this event??
dude i want to go to this so bad , and watch u race mike

BoatFloating
09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm probably going down on Sunday. I read somewhere that this is Miss Bud's last race. Have you guys heard that too?
Yes it is the last race for Miss Bud.... :mad: