PDA

View Full Version : Log Exhaust info needed

nielly
09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I think we are all pretty convinced that log type exhaust hurt horsepower. However; how much do they really hurt when you are cruising at 3000 to 3500 RPMs. Is it worth the money to buy a different type of exhaust.
I have an old Hawaiian Day cruiser with a 460 Ford and log type exhaust that take the long 6” bolts . It's time to rebuild the motor. Would there be a noticeable horsepower gain at 3500 RPM, which is my cruising speed, from an engine that produces 450 to 500 horsepower. :idea:

FHI-prez
09-14-2004, 04:03 PM
I would say that there will be very little difference at 3k-3.5k rpm. Logs wont start "killing" horsepower until you're talking running her a lot harder than that. If there was a 10-15 hp difference at cruising speed I'd be surprised. If you are only talking about general ski-boat or cruising performance, the logs will be fine. If you want to start to see just how fast you can get her to go flat out, you'll want better exhaust. Good 460 water cooled exhaust isn't anywhere in the ballpark of even being considered cheap. They are pricey lil buggers. I'm kinda stuck with my 460 logs for that very reason, I have an enclosed engine compartment so I can't run headers. :cry:
Nick

TexasJet
09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
FHI Prez, at the risk of stating the obvious, you can run water jacketed headers such as Lightning headers.

FHI-prez
09-14-2004, 06:37 PM
FHI Prez, at the risk of stating the obvious, you can run water jacketed headers such as Lightning headers.
Yeah, I know, I just meant that I was "stuck" because of the cost of water jacketed headers. They can be BRUTAL. I'll get some decent ones eventually, but not right now. :messedup: My wallet is still on fire from the parts I bought. :2purples:
Nick
$1,895 for the headers you mentioned. :eek: