PDA

View Full Version : Lasik in San Diego??

jbone
04-11-2006, 01:08 PM
My wife is thinking about getting lasik surgery. Can anyone recommend a good place to consider. We don't know anyone that has had this done.
And, what can we expect to pay.
Thanks,
J

Brady Bunch
04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
PM GrapeApe..... He had it done. I think it runs between 600-900 per eye. He only needed one eye done.

jbone
04-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I'll pm him, thanks.
I think we met last summer. did you have a 21 deck and trade up to the 23?
We hit up the main sandbar at Martinez (zoo island) on the non crowded weekends and go farther up on the crowded ones. We have little ones and there's a lot they shouldn't see.
We are supposed to be at the river 4-21 and 4-22. Will you guys be there?
J

ChumpChange
04-11-2006, 01:24 PM
My boss's wife had it done two weeks ago. She is now legally blind.

jbone
04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
My boss's wife had it done two weeks ago. She is now legally blind.
Elaborate please.
I don't need a blind wife.
J

OnlyMoney
04-11-2006, 01:36 PM
If you're willing to drive to Temecula, my doctor Siems does it on Mondays at Dr. Utenheimer's (sp?) office. :rollside: My mom, neighbor and bro-in-law had it done within a month of mine. 1 year this month for me and I love it! He also just got another board certification from somewhere, read it in a magazine. Probably run around $4k give or take. There are a lot of people on here that can recommend someone. I'm sure you'll get more responses.

ChumpChange
04-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Elaborate please.
I don't need a blind wife.
J
Well, she went in for Lasik and now cannot see. That is all I really know. She had both eyes done at the same time and for some reason her eyes did not react well. I know she has gone back to the center some three times now.
I can't really elaborate much more than that since it is somewhat of a touchy subject with my boss. I don't necessarily want to pry into his personal life.

gmocnik
04-11-2006, 01:43 PM
PM me. i have been in ophthalmology (design and development of medical devices) for 20 years. there are several outstanding refractive surgeons in S.D.
depends on your efreactive error and what you are trying to accomplish with a surgical correction. different surgeons using different lasers get different results and some are better at acheiving certain outcomes...
price can not figure into your surgical decision...
gm

Brewzed
04-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I had mine done by Dr. Tooma. He has an office in Newport Beach and Ontario. I had it done in August and vision is 20/15. He is the guy that did Tiger Woods and has done a bunch of baseball players. He did my wife about a year and a half ago. She is 20/20.

JB in so cal
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, she went in for Lasik and now cannot see. That is all I really know. She had both eyes done at the same time and for some reason her eyes did not react well. I know she has gone back to the center some three times now.
I can't really elaborate much more than that since it is somewhat of a touchy subject with my boss. I don't necessarily want to pry into his personal life.
...understatement of the year :) That would suck!!

gmocnik
04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I had mine done by Dr. Tooma. He has an office in Newport Beach and Ontario. I had it done in August and vision is 20/15. He is the guy that did Tiger Woods and has done a bunch of baseball players. He did my wife about a year and a half ago. She is 20/20.
Tom Tooma did not do Tiger Woods eyes. He is affiliated with TLC and it was another TLC surgeon that did Tigers eyes (Mark Whitten in Rockville MD.) along with almost every other guy on the PGA tour. Tooma is a very competent surgeon and has a very busy practice in N.B. the satellite office in Ontario is another TLC affilaite, Tom only does procedures there on tuesdays. I think a guy named Penezar (young doc from UCI) is being trained by Tom to take over the Ontario affiliate.
just setting the facts straight

Brewzed
04-11-2006, 02:44 PM
I guess I was set straight. I guess I should have dropped the TLC affiliation.

2Driver
04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Look into Dr Kawetch (SP?) in La Jolla and in Bev Hills. I had mine done by him 5 years ago. He has a great reputation, does all the sports teams, news people, stars etc.
I had 4 friends from SD get there eyes done there and I waited a year to see how they were doing. All were 20/20 or 20/15. I am 20/20 and 20/15 (right and left) after all this time. Best thing I ever did. At least go check him out. He had some issues with the IRS but is in practice. Can’t say enough for my experience and my friend’s but it is a personal decision. After all it is operating on your eyes! :2purples:

Havasu Cig
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Look into Dr Kawetch (SP?) in La Jolla and in Bev Hills. I had mine done by him 5 years ago. He has a great reputation, does all the sports teams, news people, stars etc.
I had 4 friends from SD get there eyes done there and I waited a year to see how they were doing. All were 20/20 or 20/15. I am 20/20 and 20/15 (right and left) after all this time. Best thing I ever did. At least go check him out. He had some issues with the IRS but is in practice. Can’t say enough for my experience and my friend’s but it is a personal decision. After all it is operating on your eyes! :2purples:
My wife had Kawesch in La Jolla do her eyes several years ago as well. She is doing very well, and like stated above, he does a lot of pro athletes and celebrities. He actually developed some of the equipment that is used to do the procedure. Here is a link...
http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AmW._PZ4CbFVfC3kjRiTW2KKNcIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsaHB uMXY2BF9zAzk2NjE3NDk1BHNlYwNzcGVjcw--/SIG=11101n7um/**http%3a//www.kaweschlaser.com/

jbone
04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys,
Dr. Kawesch is someone we were considering.
Thanks for the input.
J

RAMROD
04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
I think it's like boob jobs, you get what you pay for. I had mine done at Carter Eye Center in Dallas, along with my boss. We are both 20/20 although it messed up his vision as far as reading fine print and some other close up stuff. They did forewarn him that he might have to use reading glasses though.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
I interviewed 5 doctors......each of them twice over a two year period......
I read everything I could get my hands on.......white papers & such.......
I also chose Dr.Tom Tooma at TLC in Newport Beach.....
The only regret I have is that I waited two years to have it done.....
One of the best things I have ever done.....Still amazed to this day....
Don't mess around....Brewzed & I have already done the homework for you....
Less than 60 seconds per eye.....in/out/done/happy.......
Oh....and I'm 20/15.......
The chance of problems is so slight......Go with a big name like Tooma...
Later,
CJG
:sqeyes:

jbone
04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I interviewed 5 doctors......each of them twice over a two year period......
I read everything I could get my hands on.......white papers & such.......
I also chose Dr.Tom Tooma at TLC in Newport Beach.....
The only regret I have is that I waited two years to have it done.....
One of the best things I have ever done.....Still amazed to this day....
Don't mess around....Brewzed & I have already done the homework for you....
Less than 60 seconds per eye.....in/out/done/happy.......
Oh....and I'm 20/15.......
The chance of problems is so slight......Go with a big name like Tooma...
Later,
CJG
We'll look into him.
His name sounds like Arnold trying to say tumor.
Thanks,
J