PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD Duramax problems...

Gerard
09-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I bought a new '04 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison tranny. I love the truck, but recently the engine light came on and it lost some power. Truck has less than 9K miles. It was built in March of 2004, so it shouldn't have injector problems like the previous models(I am told) I took it to the local dealer and they said that this is a problem that they don't have a solution for right now. WTF??
I hope this isn't a recurring problem, so I will be able to tow my boat when needed. Anyone have a similar experience/ problems??
It is the LLY motor

Jordy
09-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Is it the LLY or LB7?

OGShocker
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a fuel filter. You can get bad fuel anytime. Happend to me on a trip to Canada in the middle of nowhere. EZ fix! Remember, no matter how bad your Chevy runs, it could be worse..... It could be a F.O.R.D.... :D
Good luck!

RiverOtter
09-15-2004, 09:59 AM
I thought those Duramaxes were bullit proof.

dicudmore
it probably did temporarily drop an injector or drop fuel pressure to do that...

copperrat20
Sounds like a fuel filter. You can get bad fuel anytime. Happend to me on a trip to Canada in the middle of nowhere. EZ fix! Remember, no matter how bad your Chevy runs, it could be worse..... It could be a F.O.R.D.... :D
Good luck!
Oh no no no. I think the problem is that is isn't a ford!
:shift:

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I thought those Duramaxes were bullit proof.
they are :D

Jordy
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I took it to the local dealer and they said that this is a problem that they don't have a solution for right now. WTF??
I think with comments like that, I'd find another dealer. Do they have any idea of what it is, and can't fix it, or do they just not know???

Gerard
09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Is it the LLY or LB7?
LLY

Gerard
09-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Good luck!
Not the fuel filter. I just replaced it 500 miles ago.

Gerard
09-15-2004, 10:06 AM
I think with comments like that, I'd find another dealer. Do they have any idea of what it is, and can't fix it, or do they just not know???
The dealer was just being straight up with me. They have encountered this problem a few times already. GMC (Isuzu) hasn't figured out the problem yet--so there's not much for the dealer to do about it.
I traded in my '03 PSD (6.0) because of too many problems with it and Ford couldn't fix it.

gramps
09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
I have 55,000 miles on my '03......no problems!!!!

dave186
09-15-2004, 10:11 AM
my buddy just traded in his 04.5 Dodge Cummins because of too many problems the dealer couldnt fix. I think it was mainly the dealer and not the truck that had the problems. they never did get the A/C to work, replaced the entire system and still wont work. then it just started dying at stoplights at random.
he traded it for a Ford ;)

PHX ATC
09-15-2004, 10:19 AM
I've got 2 Dodge Cummins, but it could happen to anybody, no matter what brand they own. Dodge has issues with is 2nd gen body style and the lift pump going out. Ford had 6.0 problems with injectors and oil. Chevy had problems with melting pistons.
Give it some time and maybe they will have a fix for it. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading at all? Obviously (maybe) they scanned it for computer codes? I would change the fuel filter again and clean the fuel filter bowl/housing, there might be something stuck in there you haven't cleaned yet. Have you checked the intercooler hoses? Sometimes they break free and it doesn't suck the proper amount of air. Air cleaner nice and clean? Good fuel, not the winterized versions of it somewhere? (I didn't bother to see where you lived...just throwing stuff out there)
Injector is what I would suspect if all the above is cool.
Jordy hit the nail on the flat spot, try another dealer. They might have a diesel tech that is better than the first dealer. Who knows?
The LLY version of the Duramax is a decent motor. Work with it a little, I know you're upset and I would be too.

Gerard
09-15-2004, 10:22 AM
I've got 2 Dodge Cummins, but it could happen to anybody, no matter what brand they own. Dodge has issues with is 2nd gen body style and the lift pump going out. Ford had 6.0 problems with injectors and oil. Chevy had problems with melting pistons.
Give it some time and maybe they will have a fix for it. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading at all? Obviously (maybe) they scanned it for computer codes? I would change the fuel filter again and clean the fuel filter bowl/housing, there might be something stuck in there you haven't cleaned yet. Have you checked the intercooler hoses? Sometimes they break free and it doesn't suck the proper amount of air. Air cleaner nice and clean? Good fuel, not the winterized versions of it somewhere? (I didn't bother to see where you lived...just throwing stuff out there)
Injector is what I would suspect if all the above is cool.
Jordy hit the nail on the flat spot, try another dealer. They might have a diesel tech that is better than the first dealer. Who knows?
The LLY version of the Duramax is a decent motor. Work with it a little, I know you're upset and I would be too.
I think I will try another dealer just to be sure. You make some good points.

Desert Rat
09-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh no no no. I think the problem is that is isn't a ford!
:shift:
I agree..... :boxingguy

PHX ATC
09-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Gerard - you might trying posting your symptoms on some of the Chevy diesel websites. I can't remember any right off the top of my head (I could tell you all the Dodge ones though :p ). They might have an answer or a more specific direction for you to look into instead the general stuff I've thrown out there.
There's obviously somebody else who has experienced your problems and either had a fix or checked some things off trying to get it fixed.
Try these...www.gm-diesel.com and www.dieselplace.com.
Jordy probably has a few more links and websites for the Duramax crowd. I don't, sorry.
Let us know how it turns out.
EDIT: You don't have a chip on it, do you? That might be the problem if you do.

Jordy
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Fuel filters can get plugged in one tank of fuel if you get a bad batch. I've had it happen on my old Chevy with the 6.5 diesel. I'd look for the obvious. The LLY has seen few problems. Take it to another dealer for sure and then work from there.
I have 2 duramaxes and haven't had any problem with either one, knock on wood. My '02 has 55K+ on it and puts about 400hp to the ground. It's driven like a sportscar on a regular basis and pulls my boats around. It gets a work out for sure. My '04 is still the LB7 and is bone stock. I pull all kinds of generators around with it and it hasn't missed a lick either.
The LLY's aren't supposed to have injection problems, but from time to time there are problem units on anything produced in quanity. Have you checked your oil? Is it higher than normal? If it looks funny, take the dipstick and touch it to a piece of blank paper. If there is fuel in it, there will be two distinct stains on the paper. The fuel spreads faster and further on the paper than the oil will.

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 10:44 AM
The fix is very easy,sell it then go buy a Ford with a diesel.Chevy's just aren't made for hauling and working,Fords were built for work.

HammerDown
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
I took it to the local dealer and they said that this is a problem that they don't have a solution for right now. WTF??
The above say's buy back to me.
How to F-up the simplicity of a Diesel...>...put a computer management system on it. :notam:
Hope you get things sorted out. :cool:

Jordy
09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
The fix is very easy,sell it then go buy a Ford with a diesel.Chevy's just aren't made for hauling and working,Fords were built for work.
Didn't you read that he just sold a 6.0 Ford? That must not be the solution here. ;)

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Didn't you read that he just sold a 6.0 Ford? That must not be the solution here. ;)
Then he messed up.

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Good luck!
I know this was for me,you can keep believing you know,but in reality you and I know I'm right. :yuk:

Jordy
Then he messed up.
Really???
I traded in my '03 PSD (6.0) because of too many problems with it and Ford couldn't fix it.
You know, if you want to do the silly little "buy a ford" crap, you could at least offer some insight to the problem the guy is having as well, rather than just add nothing to the conversation but wasted space. Just something to think about. ;)

Brady Bunch
This happened to a friend of mine. Seriously, It was a sensor that went bad! Truck lost power, would idle shitty and puff black smoke. 2004 Duramax!

cdog
09-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Then he messed up.
Your like the Micheal Moore of truck preference. The guy's looking for help not partiasan truck politics. Every company has problems. I know a guy who owns a tow truck company in Florida and hes say's they tow in more fords than anything.
Good luck with your problems, I wish I knew a fix but don't know anything about diesels.

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Really???
You know, if you want to do the silly little "buy a ford" crap, you could at least offer some insight to the problem the guy is having as well, rather than just add nothing to the conversation but wasted space. Just something to think about. ;)
You are right I have not offered any help,for that I am sorry.A buddy I work with has the duramax and the prob. sounds similar to a prob. he was having,he thought fuel filter,but turned out to be a sensor,covered under warranty.

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Your like the Micheal Moore of truck preference. The guy's looking for help not partiasan truck politics. Every company has problems. I know a guy who owns a tow truck company in Florida and hes say's they tow in more fords than anything.
Good luck with your problems, I wish I knew a fix but don't know anything about diesels.
As for the thread the partisan truck thing started very early in the thread,you might want to read all of it before you jump to you d-ass conclussion.

cdog
09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
As for the thread the partisan truck thing started very early in the thread,you might want to read all of it before you jump to you d-ass conclussion.
HA! HA! Rock on Fire Marshall Ford Guy!

little rowe boat
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
HA! HA! Rock on Fire Marshall Ford Guy!
:boxed:

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Get the code for me, even if you have to have autozone scan it. I will search for bulletins and see what's up. We have had some issues and if the guys you took it to don't do their research you can get dumb answers.

OutCole'd
09-15-2004, 11:14 AM
This happened to a friend of mine. Seriously, It was a sensor that went bad! Truck lost power, would idle shitty and puff black smoke. 2004 Duramax!
That is what mine is still doing. I am going to try to take it in next week. Runs great, but idles like crap.

Gerard
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Although I am not mechanic, I did check out everything I could on the motor, it is stock and doesn't have a chip or any modifications.
I'll try to get the code (if any) from the dealer.

Daytona 25
09-15-2004, 11:59 AM
My brother's is in the shop s we speak with similar problems. He does have a bad injector and Gm has them on emergency backorder. It still is a problem on many 04's. Try to get it in soon as his has been tied up for over 2 weeks. Gm will give you a rental if you push hard enough for no cost.

Havasu Cig
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
We have an 04 2500 Hd and have had no problems. We had an 03 Excursion with the 6.0 (same as Gerard) and had it lemoned. The thing was a major POS.
No matter what brand truck you own they all have problems from time to time. I happen to like the Chevy / GMC brand better because I think it has a nicer interior and features, but I would not say all Fords are POS. :rolleyes:

24sleekenforcer
09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Try to get the code either, Kachina or I will look it up as for bulletins or diag help.

dexman38
09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
In order to get the problem fixed you must first sell that dodomax then run dont walk to the nearest FORD dealer and buy a FORD. :rollside:

Jordy
09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
In order to get the problem fixed you must first sell that dodomax then run dont walk to the nearest FORD dealer and buy a FORD. :rollside:
Gee, another helpful tip. You must have missed the part where we already covered this. Thanks for you helpful suggestions for the troubles that are being experienced here though...

Gerard
09-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Okay people, I do appreciate the help and suggestions from the majority of you. For the very few non-readers out there, give the Ford/Chevy B.S. a rest. I am not here to debate about Ford/ Chevy. I am trying to see if anyone has had the same problems.
The codes that came up were...P0116 and P0299. All it says is there is "no repair" at this time being cause by high ambient temperatures.

Danhercules
09-15-2004, 02:16 PM
CUT THE CRAP!! Help a brother out.
I orded mine in Mayish, There was a delay in truck before them. There was a bad run of injectors. I think Chevy caught them before they went out. Maybe yours slipped through.
Try The Diesel Page.com (http://www.thedieselpage.com) . There are som techs on there that might help. Good luck.

BajaMike
09-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Gerard.....I agree with Jordy, fuel filters on diesels can get plugged up from one bad tank of fuel....but I would think this is the first thing the dealer would look at.
The best thing to do is tell the service manager at the Chevy dealer you want to speak to the Chevy Regional Service Manager and open a trouble ticket. These trouble tickets are reviewed daily in the regional office and until they are closed to the customer's satifaction, they count against the dealers various incentive plans.
This will get both the manufacturer and the dealer working to fix your problam ASAP.
If this doesn't resolve it right away, tell the dealer you want to open a "Lemon Law" complaint on the vehicle (this may only work in California...I'm not sure what state you are in).
:idea:

Gerard
09-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Gerard.....I agree with Jordy, fuel filters on diesels can get plugged up from one bad tank of fuel....but I would think this is the first thing the dealer would look at.
The best thing to do is tell the service manager at the Chevy dealer you want to speak to the Chevy Regional Service Manager and open a trouble ticket. These trouble tickets are reviewed daily in the regional office and until they are closed to the customer's satifaction, they count against the dealers various incentive plans.
This will get both the manufacturer and the dealer working to fix your problam ASAP.
If this doesn't resolve it right away, tell the dealer you want to open a "Lemon Law" complaint on the vehicle (this may only work in California...I'm not sure what state you are in).
:idea:
Mike,
I'm in Calfornia. I will go to another dealer to see if they can find a solution. I seriously think it's a problem that GM has to figure out and the dealer really has no way to fix the problem. I will have to just drive the truck and hope nothing else happens.

1978 Rogers
09-15-2004, 02:58 PM
If you bought a brand new truck, its under warranty. Make the dealer fix it,why waste your time. Use the Lemon Law. If you bring the same problem into a dealer 3 times and he can't fix that problem. The dealer has to supply you a new vehicle. It's that way in Washington. You even sign a form stating the dealer read and explained this to you when you purchase a new car in Washington.
I just don't know if the Lemon Law is nation wide. :(

BajaMike
09-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Gerard...you are probably right...it is probably a Chevy/GMC problem. If so, another dealer won't help.
That's why you want to get the regional office involved.
Good luck!!!

DCB
09-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Gerard,
I may have missed it in a previous post, but where do you live?

Gerard
09-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Gerard,
I may have missed it in a previous post, but where do you live?
Temecula....I just moved from Carlsbad.

Gerard
09-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Gerard...you are probably right...it is probably a Chevy/GMC problem. If so, another dealer won't help.
That's why you want to get the regional office involved.
Good luck!!!
Mike,
I think you have a good suggestion. I will try it

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Sorry boss,
As per a GM PI (preliminary information) aka "secret bulletin"
5. Engineering is investigating the reason for the P0116 and P0299 setting. This pi will be updated with any new information as soon as it is received.
Straight from the horses mouth.
PM me for more info.
Randy

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Check your email.

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Sorry boss,
5. Engineering is investigating the reason for the P0116 and P0299 setting. This pi will be updated with any new information as soon as it is received.
Straight from the horses mouth.
PM me for more info.
Randy
K26 speaks the truth...
I called my old shop thinking I had come across those codes and Todd came up with the same thing. Something engineering was working on :hammer2:

Gerard
09-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Check your email.
got it---thanks
check yours :cool:

PHX ATC
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Ahhhhh, now we're getting somewhere.
No Ford vs. Chevy, film at 10 o'clock, just plain ole advice and help. I like it.
I'm surprised Dodge didn't get beaten up and strung through the dredges. I'm sure it will come. :rollside:
K26, what are those 2 codes in reference to? I know with the Dodges, each and every code has a wonderfully encrypted meaning. I'm sure it's the same with Chevy.

WUTWZAT
09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Good luck!
I can testify to that last statement honestly, I have a Ford Expedition with the 5.4L and it died on me no warning. Still at the dealership to have the motor replaced. The cylinder heads started dissolving and was shotting the spark plugs out of itself, at first they blamed the supercharger. But then it turned out that other motors without the eaton supercharger that the factory puts on had metalurgy problems, so now they have spent a little over 3 grand and two weeks. Maybe next week or before October I'll have my Found On Road Dead back. I could be F*cked Over Rebuilt Dodge, but my Dodge Ram with 150,000 miles still runs fine.
Jason

PHX ATC
09-15-2004, 04:20 PM
I could be F*cked Over Rebuilt Dodge, but my Dodge Ram with 150,000 miles still runs fine.
Jason
Whew, that was close. :eek: :D

ahhell
09-15-2004, 05:13 PM
No Ford vs. Chevy, film at 10 o'clock, just plain ole advice and help. I like it.
I'm surprised Dodge didn't get beaten up and strung through the dredges. I'm sure it will come. :rollside:
K26, what are those 2 codes in reference to? I know with the Dodges, each and every code has a wonderfully encrypted meaning. I'm sure it's the same with Chevy.
Hell...im supprised Commander didnt have something to do with this... :skull:
go chevy :rollside:

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 05:24 PM
The meaning of the code is irrelevant due to the fact that the code does not really indicate a true problem, however; this is the rundown for p0116
DTC P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Performance
Conditions for Running the DTC
* DTCs P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0500, P2610 are not set.
* The ignition is ON.
* The start-up IAT is more than 15°C (59°F).
* The vehicle has a minimum engine OFF time of 10 hours.
* DTC P0116 runs once per drive cycle within the enabling conditions.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
If the ECM detects a start-up temperature difference between the ECT sensor and the IAT sensor of more than 5°C (9°F), then the vehicle must be driven for more than 400 seconds over 24 km/h (15 mph) and the engine speed must be more than 600 RPM. If the IAT sensor temperature decreases more than 5°C (9°F) then a block heater is detected and the test is aborted. If the IAT sensor temperature does not decrease, then a block heater was not detected and DTC P0116 sets.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
* The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
* The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
And now P0299
Circuit Description
The boost pressure sensor measures the pressure inside the intake manifold. Pressure in the intake manifold is affected by turbocharger output, engine speed, accelerator pedal input, air temperature, and barometric pressure (BARO). A diaphragm within the boost pressure sensor is displaced by the pressure changes that occur from the varying load and operating conditions of the engine. The sensor translates this action into electrical resistance. The boost pressure sensor wiring includes 3 circuits. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a regulated 5 volts to the sensor on a 5-volt reference circuit. The ECM supplies a ground on a low reference circuit. The boost pressure sensor provides a signal voltage to the ECM, relative to pressure, on the boost pressure sensor signal circuit. The ECM converts the signal voltage input to a pressure value. Under normal operation the lowest pressure that can exist in the intake manifold is equal to the BARO. This occurs when the vehicle is operated at idle or when the ignition is on while the engine is off. Under these conditions, the ECM uses the boost pressure sensor to aid in diagnosis of the BARO sensor. The highest manifold pressures occur when the turbocharger output is high. Manifold pressure can range from 58 kPa (8 psi) when pressures are low to more than 240 kPa (34 psi) when pressures are high, depending on the BARO. The boost pressure sensor has a range of 33 kPa (4 psi) to 255 kPa (36 psi). The ECM also uses the boost pressure sensor to provide engine overboost protection. The ECM calculates a predicted value for the boost pressure sensor. The ECM then compares the predicted value to the sensor input. If the ECM detects that the boost pressure sensor input is below the predicted range, this DTC will set.
DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0299 Turbocharger Engine Underboost
* DTCs P0237, P2227, P2228, or P2229 are not set.
* The engine speed is between 500-3600 RPM.
* The engine speed does not vary more than 50 RPM.
* The engine run time is more than 10 seconds.
* The ECM detects that the boost pressure input is 35 kPa below the calibrated value. OR
* To obtain the desired boost, the ECM must command the turbocharger vanes closed further than expected.
* One of the above conditions exist for more than 12 seconds.
* The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
* The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
This don't mean crap to me because I can't make money knowing this, I make money knowing that a real fix is in the works and down the road it goes. Sorry but thems the facts o life.

HammerDown
09-15-2004, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Kachina26]The meaning of the code is irrelevant due to the fact that the code does not really indicate a true problem, however; this is the rundown for p0116
DTC P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Performance
* DTCs P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0500, P2610 are not set.
* The ignition is ON.
* The start-up IAT is more than 15°C (59°F).
* The vehicle has a minimum engine OFF time of 10 hours.
* DTC P0116 runs once per drive cycle within the enabling conditions.
If the ECM detects a start-up temperature difference between the ECT sensor and the IAT sensor of more than 5°C (9°F), then the vehicle must be driven for more than 400 seconds over 24 km/h (15 mph) and the engine speed must be more than 600 RPM. If the IAT sensor temperature decreases more than 5°C (9°F) then a block heater is detected and the test is aborted. If the IAT sensor temperature does not decrease, then a block heater was not detected and DTC P0116 sets.
And now P0299
Circuit Description
The boost pressure sensor measures the pressure inside the intake manifold. Pressure in the intake manifold is affected by turbocharger output, engine speed, accelerator pedal input, air temperature, and barometric pressure (BARO). A diaphragm within the boost pressure sensor is displaced by the pressure changes that occur from the varying load and operating conditions of the engine. The sensor translates this action into electrical resistance. The boost pressure sensor wiring includes 3 circuits. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a regulated 5 volts to the sensor on a 5-volt reference circuit. The ECM supplies a ground on a low reference circuit. The boost pressure sensor provides a signal voltage to the ECM, relative to pressure, on the boost pressure sensor signal circuit. The ECM converts the signal voltage input to a pressure value. Under normal operation the lowest pressure that can exist in the intake manifold is equal to the BARO. This occurs when the vehicle is operated at idle or when the ignition is on while the engine is off. Under these conditions, the ECM uses the boost pressure sensor to aid in diagnosis of the BARO sensor. The highest manifold pressures occur when the turbocharger output is high. Manifold pressure can range from 58 kPa (8 psi) when pressures are low to more than 240 kPa (34 psi) when pressures are high, depending on the BARO. The boost pressure sensor has a range of 33 kPa (4 psi) to 255 kPa (36 psi). The ECM also uses the boost pressure sensor to provide engine overboost protection. The ECM calculates a predicted value for the boost pressure sensor. The ECM then compares the predicted value to the sensor input. If the ECM detects that the boost pressure sensor input is below the predicted range, this DTC will set.
DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0299 Turbocharger Engine Underboost
* DTCs P0237, P2227, P2228, or P2229 are not set.
* The engine speed is between 500-3600 RPM.
* The engine speed does not vary more than 50 RPM.
* The engine run time is more than 10 seconds.
* The ECM detects that the boost pressure input is 35 kPa below the calibrated value. OR
* To obtain the desired boost, the ECM must command the turbocharger vanes closed further than expected.
* One of the above conditions exist for more than 12 seconds.
QUOTE]
Like I said before...leave it up to a computer management system to F-up the simplicity of a Diese :messedup:

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 07:01 PM
That's the stuff I thrive on! I love it. I don't know what to do on the old cars, can't plug in a scan tool. :idea: I laugh at the people that ask "don't you have a machine that tells you what's wrong with it?" No, I have a machine that gives me data that I interpret and based on that and experience I can figure out what's wrong.

PHX ATC
09-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Change the power valve in the Holley and send him on his way. :eek:
Thanks for the descriptions. I actually read all of them. Interesting. I forgot my decoder ring, so I had to s l o w w a y d o w n and read them twice!
Jibberish if you're trying to fix them, but maybe somebody on the diesel webpages will have found a link between the 2 codes spitting out at the same time. Just maybe, I dunno. Of course with the 2,000 sensors and one pissed off ECM, you wouldn't know where to begin to start.
For the Dodges, there's some codes that spit out and there's a shadetree mechanic way to fix them without messing anything else up. Either that or the injector pump went tits up! :2purples:
Gerard, do you have a chip/box on your truck? If you do that might be the problem. If you don't, maybe you should get one. :D

PHOTOGLOU
09-15-2004, 07:32 PM
I bought a new '04 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison tranny. I love the truck, but recently the engine light came on and it lost some power. Truck has less than 9K miles. It was built in March of 2004, so it shouldn't have injector problems like the previous models(I am told) I took it to the local dealer and they said that this is a problem that they don't have a solution for right now. WTF??
I hope this isn't a recurring problem, so I will be able to tow my boat when needed. Anyone have a similar experience/ problems??
It is the LLY motor
Bring it by our dealership in Corona I'll get you a rental and fix the problem. Do you have an aftermarket chip in it??? I do and the check engine light comes on all the time to let me know its getting to much fuel, which is what the chip is suppost to do an easy diagnoses.

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Change the power valve in the Holley and send him on his way. :eek:
Thanks for the descriptions. I actually read all of them. Interesting. I forgot my decoder ring, so I had to s l o w w a y d o w n and read them twice!
Jibberish if you're trying to fix them, but maybe somebody on the diesel webpages will have found a link between the 2 codes spitting out at the same time. Just maybe, I dunno. Of course with the 2,000 sensors and one pissed off ECM, you wouldn't know where to begin to start.
For the Dodges, there's some codes that spit out and there's a shadetree mechanic way to fix them without messing anything else up. Either that or the injector pump went tits up! :2purples:
Gerard, do you have a chip/box on your truck? If you do that might be the problem. If you don't, maybe you should get one. :D
Things are getting more technical because the govt is demanding lower emissions and higher fuel economy. The best way to achieve that is more precise control and monitoring of what is going on. The car would run just fine without most of it.

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Bring it by our dealership in Corona I'll get you a rental and fix the problem. Do you have an aftermarket chip in it??? I do and the check engine light comes on all the time to let me know its getting to much fuel, which is what the chip is suppost to do an easy diagnoses.
Gonna fix something that the engineers said they don't have a fix for????? Do you write your own programs? Just a kink that will get worked out. However, an aftermarket reflash like the "edge" may make the light go away and will definately increase HP !
Not an attack on PG, just saying that at the moment there is no fix :cool:

PHOTOGLOU
09-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Okay people, I do appreciate the help and suggestions from the majority of you. For the very few non-readers out there, give the Ford/Chevy B.S. a rest. I am not here to debate about Ford/ Chevy. I am trying to see if anyone has had the same problems.
The codes that came up were...P0116 and P0299. All it says is there is "no repair" at this time being cause by high ambient temperatures.
Do you have a billet grille or something blocking the air intake??? If so this is why on the Duramax GM is taking a NO WARRANTY position on Duramax's with cooling problems that have aftermarket grilles and went to the new front end in 05 bigger air inlet with no way to put a grille in the middle

Gerard
09-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Do you have a billet grille or something blocking the air intake??? If so this is why on the Duramax GM is taking a NO WARRANTY position on Duramax's with cooling problems that have aftermarket grilles and went to the new front end in 05 bigger air inlet with no way to put a grille in the middle
I have no billet grille (yet) and have no modifications to anything on the truck. IT IS STOCK.
Are you kidding about the billet grille restricting airflow??

Kachina26
09-16-2004, 05:11 AM
Not necessarily restricting, but changing the flow of air. Believe it or not, much research goes into the design of things like that. Research which is not performed by those who make aftermarket accessories. Those guys just chop it into the hole and take your money. Looks good, but does it do what it's supposed to?

mrgoslow
09-16-2004, 05:45 AM
gramps and others in the 55K range get ready. i have an 01 w/129,000 and @ 60ish it went in the forst time for bad injectors (2 replaced) and at 90ish 5 more replaced. shortly after 100K engine started putting coolant into two cylinders. hell it even hydralocked one morning. chevy fixed out of warranty all i had to pay was diagnosis. the wet sleeves the injectors go through in the head were the culprit. now its in the shop again @ 129K because its putting compression into the coolant sysyem and alot of it. it will blow coolant out of the resevoir overflow while idling. been in shop all week w/ no diagnosis as of yet. although ive been told that gm will "help" with the bill it still sucks to be without tools and p/u when you farm.
our 04 is not an lly but w/ 30K miles it has had NO problems.
as for fuel filterts i carry one behind the back seat. duramax's seem to be finicky or maybe our fuel in tx isnt as clean as it should be. nonetheless, when they get restricted youll know before any light ever tells you unless you use your diesel for commuting to/from work only.
good luck!

dicudmore
09-16-2004, 07:17 AM
some of us added secondary fuel filters to help that stuff.
Cat has a sweet filter that can be plumbed and added.
K-26 have a look at mine next time we see ya out there :D
The P0116 I had seen several times the last couple years. The one K26 mentioned about the difference on start up in Intake Air Temp and Engine coolant temp....Could happen by say parking where the sun could shine on the hood, heat up the intake duct a tad but the engine is still cold...
However that had nothing to do with his power loss concern.

Jordy
09-16-2004, 07:31 AM
some of us added secondary fuel filters to help that stuff.
Cat has a sweet filter that can be plumbed and added.
PartyCat has the same deal on his. Someone sells it as a kit. The fuel filter is one like you'd find on a 950 loader or a 613 scraper. For the fuel they burn it should last a long time on a truck. :D

dicudmore
09-16-2004, 07:35 AM
PartyCat has the same deal on his. Someone sells it as a kit. The fuel filter is one like you'd find on a 950 loader or a 613 scraper. For the fuel they burn it should last a long time on a truck. :D
Nicktane makes one. its a good idea but very flimsy (we installed several of them.)
Check out the filter set-up available from Code 3 Automotive and Perf.
It is BAD ASS.....
805-523-9011 Todd or Scott

Jrocket
09-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Theres just no way you can beat service like this.

FunOnTheWater
09-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Gee, another helpful tip. You must have missed the part where we already covered this. Thanks for you helpful suggestions for the troubles that are being experienced here though...
I have to agree with JP on this one :mad: he just wanted some help not a ford/chevy thread :hammer2: to many of them.
Some of the information that has come out from this is great :D good job

OutCole'd
09-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Took my truck into the shop today for a rough idle. Check engine light finally came on to indicate a code.
They found a bad injector, had one in stock. Truck is running like new now. :D

Daytona 25
09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
OC'd,
You are lucky they had one in stock. My bro is going on 4 weeks without his new ride with less than 7000 miles on it. He was told injectors are on emergency backorder. He is supposed to get it back tomorrow.
Although he had some problems, it still would not keep me form buying the Duramax/Allison combo. It is much better than my diesel Excursion.

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 07:51 PM
OC'd,
You are lucky they had one in stock. My bro is going on 4 weeks without his new ride with less than 7000 miles on it. He was told injectors are on emergency backorder. He is supposed to get it back tomorrow.
Although he had some problems, it still would not keep me form buying the Duramax/Allison combo. It is much better than my diesel Excursion.
Very lucky, they are STILL on national backorder.

OutCole'd
09-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Unless they flat rated it. The reciept shows they replaced the #4 injector.

Jordy
09-20-2004, 08:05 PM
One of my new service trucks at work has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks waiting on injectors. They just quit all together. Truck was fine. The next time the mechanic went to start it, it just cranked over, like it was airlocked. New injectors, here we come. :(

J540
09-20-2004, 08:07 PM
I wanted to give some info before I read the rest of the post. Ford has the same prob, its because of the Ca. emissions requirement. on the Ford you are not supposed to let them idle for more than 5 min. - F'n traffic in L.A is more than 5 min, in idling! What happens is the EGR valve puts exhaust back in the Turbo and causes carbon build up - it flakes off and goes into the turbo causing the turbo to pause. So, put a new EGR valve in, unplug it, plug into the old one and zip-tie it some place. Service Engine Soon light won't come on that way - if you just don't plug it in.

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
I wanted to give some info before I read the rest of the post. Ford has the same prob, its because of the Ca. emissions requirement. on the Ford you are not supposed to let them idle for more than 5 min. - F'n traffic in L.A is more than 5 min, in idling! What happens is the EGR valve puts exhaust back in the Turbo and causes carbon build up - it flakes off and goes into the turbo causing the turbo to pause. So, put a new EGR valve in, unplug it, plug into the old one and zip-tie it some place. Service Engine Soon light won't come on that way - if you just don't plug it in.
So, you leave the EGR unplugged and the light doesn't come on? No EGR codes?
DTC P0401
Circuit Description
The engine control module (ECM) tests the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow once per ignition cycle. When the proper enabling conditions are met, the ECM will close the EGR valve and then open the EGR valve while monitoring the mass air flow (MAF) signal. An expected MAF difference should be detected between the open and closed positions. If the ECM does not see the expected MAF difference, DTC P0401 sets.
Just wait for the update, don't fool around with things like this. You will do more harm than good. ;)

pussycat
09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Blah! Blah! Blah!!!! Buy a Ford Power Stroke and be done with It!!!

Jordy
09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Blah! Blah! Blah!!!! Buy a Ford Power Stroke and be done with It!!!
Thanks for the advice. You ford guys are so helpful. Oh, and welcome to the boards too. Look forward to whatever other insight you have to offer.
You know it's a shame, people are having a nice discussion about problems and how to go about solving them, and then you chime in with that little pearl of wisdom. Guess we can all go home now because you solved the problem huh? :rolleyes:
p.s. He had a ford and it was a huge piece of shit so he got rid of it. Start at the first page and work your way to the present. Thanks

Flying Tiger
09-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Bad check valve in the fuel pump= loss in fuel pressure.
Take it to Guy Schmidt GMC in Glendale.

Jeanyus
09-21-2004, 04:52 AM
Well here goes the rest of my reputation points.
A Ford with a cornbinder engine in it, a Dodge with a Cummins engine in it, a Chevy with an Isuzu.
I think the problem is your driving trucks designed by Dr Frankenstien.

dbddbd
09-21-2004, 05:02 AM
Germans are only ones who know how to make a good diesel. Family owned one for years, never ever had a problem with it. LOL, buy a mercedez, for the extra $6.6K, all the american makers chargeyou, you can afford one. :eat:

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 05:37 AM
Bad check valve in the fuel pump= loss in fuel pressure.
Take it to Guy Schmidt GMC in Glendale.
Go back and read what the codes are, what causes them and what the fix for this problem is. Not a fuel problem, just a software issue. The government requires certain parameters to be monitored and when something is incorrect or off from what is expected a light will set. Just needs a little tweek from the geeks at GM.

Essex502
09-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Germans are only ones who know how to make a good diesel. Family owned one for years, never ever had a problem with it. LOL, buy a mercedez, for the extra $6.6K, all the american makers chargeyou, you can afford one. :eat:
Interesting thoughts:
The father of the diesel engine...
Rudolf Diesel (1858 - 1913)
Born in Paris of Bavarian parents, Diesel studied at Munich Polytechnic where he was an outstanding mechanical engineering student. He began his career as a refrigerator engineer. For ten years he worked on various heat engines, including a solar-powered air engine. He began experimenting with a high-pressure ammonia engine. His 1893 prototype blew off the cylinder head, but four years later a reasonably reliable engine was produced. Diesel's ideas for an engine where the combustion would be carried out within the cylinder were published in 1893, one year after he applied for his first patent. His new engine was soon accepted throughout the world, and many of his engines were produced under license. His wife convinced him to name the engine after himself. Rudolf Diesel's enjoyment of fame and fortune was marred by ill health, probably caused by exhausting legal battles over patent rights and unwise financial speculations. He lost a fortune, and while traveling on a ship to England, he disappeared overboard. In his notebook he had marked an X by that date. The diesel engines of today are refined and improved versions of Rudolf Diesel's original concept. They are often used in submarines, ships, locomotives, large trucks and in electric generating plants.

Jrocket
09-21-2004, 07:36 AM
So, you leave the EGR unplugged and the light doesn't come on? No EGR codes?
DTC P0401
Circuit Description
The engine control module (ECM) tests the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow once per ignition cycle. When the proper enabling conditions are met, the ECM will close the EGR valve and then open the EGR valve while monitoring the mass air flow (MAF) signal. An expected MAF difference should be detected between the open and closed positions. If the ECM does not see the expected MAF difference, DTC P0401 sets.
Just wait for the update, don't fool around with things like this. You will do more harm than good. ;)
No,what people do is leave the stock egr bolted up but unplugged.The take another egr and plug the harness into it but leave it zip tied up somewhere in the engine compartment.Some people claim better fuel economy and throttle response.I havent done it so I cant say first hand but alot of people do this for performance.I dont really like the idea of using an egr on any motor but so far my truck runs perfect and no problems.

life's a river
09-21-2004, 01:19 PM
What's an LLY or an LB7?

sintax
09-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Engine models
LB7 = 2001 - 2004
LLY = 2004.5 - current

Party Cat
09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Also....The eighth digit of the VIN for the new LLY engine will be a two (2). One (1) for the LB7.

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
No,what people do is leave the stock egr bolted up but unplugged.The take another egr and plug the harness into it but leave it zip tied up somewhere in the engine compartment.Some people claim better fuel economy and throttle response.I havent done it so I cant say first hand but alot of people do this for performance.I dont really like the idea of using an egr on any motor but so far my truck runs perfect and no problems.
The truck determines that the egr is working by checking fluctuations in the MAF readings. Therefore no fluctuation means no egr which sets a code. The purpose of the EGR valve is to bring in exhaust gasses into the combustion chamber to cool combustion temps to reduce NOx emissions. NOx is the chief contributor to photochemical smog. When EGRs first came out they came on too soon and too strong and caused driveability problems. Now, they are controlled much better and do not cause you to notice them.

1978 Rogers
09-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Why don't you have the dealer find a cure & fix it. Why waste your time dealing with there problem? Below is a link to the California Lemon Law. You might want to read this. You have 18 months or 18,000 miles.
http://www.lemonauto.com/lemon_laws/text_ca.htm

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Why don't you have the dealer find a cure & fix it. Why waste your time dealing with there problem? Below is a link to the California Lemon Law. You might want to read this. You have 18 months or 18,000 miles.
http://www.lemonauto.com/lemon_laws/text_ca.htm
Cure was found back on page two.
:hammerhea

1978 Rogers
09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Cure was found back on page one.
:hammerhea
I must have missed that part. :D :rolleyes:

Jordy
09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
2500HD Duramax problems... 09-21-2004 03:22 PM pissing match sucks
Hey thanks for negative without signing your name pussy. :cool:

Jrocket
09-21-2004, 09:02 PM
The truck determines that the egr is working by checking fluctuations in the MAF readings. Therefore no fluctuation means no egr which sets a code. The purpose of the EGR valve is to bring in exhaust gasses into the combustion chamber to cool combustion temps to reduce NOx emissions. NOx is the chief contributor to photochemical smog. When EGRs first came out they came on too soon and too strong and caused driveability problems. Now, they are controlled much better and do not cause you to notice them.
Yes i am aware of what the egr does,I was explaining that the egr is hooked up...to a egr that is not bolted to the manifold.Its only used to keep the ses light off.

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes i am aware of what the egr does,I was explaining that the egr is hooked up...to a egr that is not bolted to the manifold.Its only used to keep the ses light off.
OK, I wasn't sure if you knew why it was there. But, the computer on this particular truck is not looking to see if the electrical load is there, it is looking to see weather it is "flowing" or not.
I imagine that EGRs on a diesel rob more power than on a gas engine. I know that if you disconnect an EGR on a gas engine you will have some serious ping issues. Probably not so on the diesel engine.
The main point is , there will be a fix for this gentleman's problem shortly.