PDA

View Full Version : HB boat

Bubbledeck
07-09-2001, 05:02 PM
HB were you the one that got the ticket for passengers in the boat after you pulled out of the water onto the ramp? I just got a copy of the Cal boating rules and it says it's ok to do that.... of course if that happened in AZ this info is useless heh

dankirk
07-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Bubbledeck, you are right. According to California Vehicle Code section 21712(d), a person can drive a vehicle towing a trailer carring a vessel with a passenger in the vessel if he is engaged in the launching or recovery of the vessel.

spectras only
07-09-2001, 06:11 PM
hey you guys,it sounds like your local law enforcers becoming a pain in the...ss!If I was them ,I would pay more attention when babies are strapped in the tow vehicle during lunching and recovery without a driver inside the vehicle.A few years ago a mother left two of her babies in a jeep [probably a manual shift model]that slid into the water by the weight of boat/trailer while she was going to detach the boat from the trailer,and even the immediate rescue effort didn't save them.I always put a wedge block under the wheels if nobody can attend my car at the steering wheel.

HBjet
07-09-2001, 08:43 PM
BubbleDeck, Yes, that was me. I didn't get sited for driving while a person was in the boat. The officer used it as a cause to stop and question me. Then went straight for the alcohol test. I didn't even know why I was originally stopped until I read the police report. I admit, I was drinking and past the legal limit, but I don't think it was legit to stop me the way he did. I just figure if I was ever going to get busted (my girlfriend says it was only a matter of time) this is the best way. I wasn't on the road (looks good for me for family members) and I didn't hurt anyone or damage anything (Great for everyone) Yeah, I get pissed for what happened. But then I think about a buddy of mine who is going through a trial for man slaughter. My sentence doesn't look so bad anymore.
HBjet
PS, I was busted in 1999 I wonder if the law just changed?

Bubbledeck
07-09-2001, 08:56 PM
well that's interesting .. sounds like he had no "reasonable cause" to stop you then HBjet. We had a boating fatality at my home lake a week ago and one of the drivers has been charged with manslaughter. The story I'm hearing is that although he was involved, he may not have been at fault or soley at fault. The bottom line is that if you drink and boat, even if you don't do anything stupid you may get screwed anyways ... I wonder how bad Coors Cutter really does taste? lol

UltraJet
07-09-2001, 11:20 PM
HBJet - Sorry to hear about your brush with the law and the stiff penalties of DUI. There has been no recent change to California Vehicle Code section 21712(d). The last ammendment to the section was in 1992. However, there may be some case law which more clearly defines the term "engaged in the launching or recovery of the vessel."
Without that knowledge, there is a great deal of room for error on the part of the public as well as those who wear the uniform.
I guess those water spots are just gonna get more time to set up on the new boat. Aaaaarrrgghh!!!

spectras only
07-09-2001, 11:33 PM
HB,I'm sorry about the trouble you had with the law,however you're luckier than my friend who passed away in his beloved Howard in a night cruising mishap.Like you ,he had only a couple of beers,and misjudged a waterski platform on Skaha Lake and hit it really hard causing the boat to sink.He apperently passed out by hitting his head on the steering wheel and drowned.His buddy also had a few but managed to swim to shore.I'm always a designated driver[ car or boat],maybe a bore,but all my friends appreciate it.I like a Corona with pizza ,but that's it.

Cas42
07-10-2001, 12:20 AM
the more I think about the times I drove under the influence almost 20 years ago, the luckier I feel. Actually, the stupider I feel. I'm just glad I was able to realize what could happen if I had continued to do so.

beached1
07-10-2001, 05:02 AM
Coors Cutter sucks. In my opinion, most non-alcolholic beer blows. But I tried them all in hopes that I could find one that I could consume in my boat with no worries. I have found the only one that tastes like real beer the most is Kaliber. It's an import by Guiness, but it doesn't taste like Guiness. Yuck, I can't even drink Guiness with alcohol much less without. Anyway #2 is Miller Sharps.