PDA

View Full Version : ?? about place diverters

snjspencer
09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
I was wondering if you have to buy a new rutter when you put a place diverter on? Does anybody know the best place to buy a place diverter for a berkley jc? Thanks!

roostwear
09-15-2004, 11:28 AM
If you have a stock Berk, then yes.

victorfb
09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
try it without the rudder first. i dought if youll need it.

MudPumper
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Rudders are for V-Drives not Jetboats!!!!!!!! :D

Waist Deep
09-16-2004, 07:07 AM
21' Daytona jet Drive. You guys are serious about no rudder needed? I've never run it without one. Should I try it?

1Bahnerjet
09-16-2004, 07:32 AM
had them both (rudder/no rudder)
its in the no wake zone & pullin' up to the trailer where the advantage of a rudder becomes known.
don't have a rudder right now & don't plan to add.

roostwear
09-16-2004, 08:03 AM
My old Tahiti needed a rudder to maneuver at low speeds, but the Advantage is fine without it. Go figure......

BarryMac
09-16-2004, 08:24 AM
When I bought my Carrera the rudder was broken, I replaced it before we took our first trip, I know that the advantages are mostly at low idle when docking/trailering, I've noticed that the boat is hard to steer at high speed, do ya suppose that is due to the rudder? I had never heard that before...
gjb

kachina_labala
09-16-2004, 08:36 AM
someone, somewhere, told me that its illegal to not have a rudder. I think johnny law figures that with loss of power the rudder is supposed to help steer (ya right). Any truth to this info ? Mine was broken off when I got the boat and I was told buy the same person to leave the broken mount and claim "it was there when I left the dock" if i got pinched. I doubt most cops know enough to even know it could have a rudder.

probablecause
09-16-2004, 11:14 AM
SHIFTY hit the nail on the head...you will never know.
Down in Blythe, hardly anybody runs a rudder because you will just snap it off because it is so shallow at times. However, if your wife or girlfriend is going to drive a boat, get a rudder. They have the "freakout" jean which goes into overdrive when the boat won't steer at low speeds and the are trying to break the steering wheel by turning it so hard.
The reality is that you don't need one and they are a pain at higher speeds. A few tries without one and you will never know the difference.

FHI-prez
09-16-2004, 12:46 PM
My experiences with and without a rudder.
My boat (18' Borum shallow V, E pump, 460 motor) came with a rudder so I left it one for a few months. The boat ran fine with it, but I did notice that it would tend to need correction to the steering input in a long sweeping turn. It seemed that while turning the rudder would stop the stern of the boat from "slipping" through the turn. Jet boats (flat bottom or shallow V) like to slip through turns. It would start to slip then catch again with the rudder. I still had to do MANY steering corrections to keep the boat heading straight when it was idleing. Additionally, I noticed :rolleyes: that the boat did NOT want to powerslide worth a damn. My old jet boat just loved it, but this one didn't. (Powerslide meaning cruising speed, chop the throttle, turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, then friggin NAIL IT! :D ) The old sleekcraft would spin around like a top, the Borum would get sideways then catch, making it a bit hard to stay in the boat :squiggle: , very unforgiving).
Then despite several friends advising me to the contrary, I took off the rudder. :p In short, I'll NEVER put it back on. In fact, you can have the damn thing if you want it. :messedup: The boat slips nicely through sweeping turns, and noticed NO difference in low speed handling at all. The boat had a unitlite ignition when I got it (still had the rudder on) and it liked to just shut off whenever it felt like it (MSD ignition on it now :p ) well, I got a "crash" course in how well that rudder steered the boat with no power. Umm....lets just say, it didn't steer the boat one DAMN bit! I'm not being dramatic either, the boat went just as straight as you please with full steering input into the rudder, but no power. :eek:
So about that powersliding thing. Ummm...well....ask a few of my friends that I catch off guard while cruising. That sumbitch with spin like a damn top without that rudder on. I can be cruising around 30 mph, chop the throttle, friggin DRILL it and dig a hole in the water that would make any jet ski jealous. It's easy to do a 360, and if I get a bit carried away, well some of my buds call it the Vommit Commet. She spins now :eek: (to be honest, I did spit a buds dog out of the boat, but he wasn't holding on, so I totally blame the dog :D )
So to be short, forget the rudder and scare the crap out of your friends, works for me.
Nick

TAYLORCHET
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
I have been running without a rudder for about ten years. the only difference I have found is that I have not had major damage to my jet because I run a lot on pretty shallow lakes here in Ohio. I am shure my insurance company has been much happier too. Actually I am sure that is why I still have insurance because I have had no claims since I removed it! I have had only one or two times where I have lost an engine at speed and I was able to get slowed down without any problems. :mi :mix: :mix: x:

dave186
09-17-2004, 05:35 PM
sounds like i should take my rudder off. it gets hella hard to steer when at speed. the old pump didnt have one, but the energizer kit came with one so i decided to try it.

snjspencer
09-19-2004, 01:53 PM
thanks you guys i will be get one soon without rudder.we just got back from a wet weekend on the lake.but we had fun.

FOURQ
09-19-2004, 05:02 PM
just fyi if you dont run a rudder and have problems steering at low or idle speeds just pull the st handle back a 1/4 and increase the rpm and itll steer like a champ...
4Q