PDA

View Full Version : Mallibu Ski Boats

Troubles No More
09-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm looking at selling my current boat and getting a Malibu. I have found out that we water ski or wakeboard 80% of the time. I need a boat that can hold the 18-20 mph when wakeboarding & more storage as we carry 2/3-wakeboards and up to 4-water skis on the boat.
Can anyone tell me his or her experience with Malibu Ski Boats?
We are looking at the larger model, the Sunscape 25 LSV Â…Â…Thanks

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Malibu builds a great tourney boat...
Good luck to you.

cc322
09-15-2004, 03:39 PM
A few oof my friends have Malibu's but they boat mostly on parker, they love there boats. Not a Havasu boat but, the price of those thing's?????? you could get a csutom boat, imo they just limit where can can boat at. good luck

dicudmore
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
no doubt on the $$$ thing. Loaded Malibu or the like prob wind up just a hair under his HOWARD depending how the Bullet was ordered :D
but, if the guys got kids, etc that are into boarding it may be the thing to do...

cc322
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
OOPS.......... just noticed you have a Howard imo keep the howard 25 BULLET IS ONE SWEET ASS RIDE

mbrown2
09-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I have a 23 LSV Wakesetter...awesome boat, awesome for towing, but I would not compare the ride in rough stuff to your bullet....I am not sure how the 23 Sunsetter rides, but maybe it is smoother...again, they are great all around boats...
If I had to choose between the Malibu or my DCB, I would probably choose the Malibu...just more functional and have more fun than just going fast on it...

TPI
09-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Troubles No More,
Let me know if you are going to let that Bullet go. I might have a buyer for it. Doesnt it have a 496 HO?
Thanks
Gary

roln 20s
09-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Malibu makes an amazing boat. We (my fam) have had a Malibu Echelon ski boat since 1995. Its somewhere near the 800-900 hours mark, and its as turn key today as it was new. The quality is amazing. The attention to detail is far beyond anything in its class. You are not buying just a name, you are truely buying the best ski/inboard boat out there. If you want to check out the 25LSV, look at the article in the back of the newest Truckin Mag--that boat/rig is amazing, not sure if you have seen one up close--but its HUGE. If we bought a new malibu, I know that we would probably by the 23 Wakesetter, same boat MBrown has. Just an awesome all around boat, a perfect size. If you ever have any doubt about Malibu, go tour their Merced Ca facility. Many custom performance boat builders envy that facility. After that, you will never have a doubt. Its employee owned, and most of the people who work there have been there more than 15 years. Its truely amazing! You will not be disappointed.
Roln 20s

Troubles No More
09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
GT
496 HO with 30-35 hours on it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1121DSC00011_edited-med.JPG

djunkie
09-15-2004, 06:51 PM
I am interested in the bullet also if you are thinking of selling it. If so how bout some pics and specs.

roln 20s
09-15-2004, 07:34 PM
You can't go wrong with a Howard Bullet. As most know, I'll probably be ordering one within the next 6 months. As for the 25 Bullet, I've had the privledge of riding (and Driving) Dr Marg's 25 bullet all summer. Its an amazing boat. During the summer with 3 guys and lots of gas, the 496HO is seeing around 70gps. Its a killer ride, plenty of space and room, very well manored at all speeds. Just a great boat.
Troubles no more-- were u formerly Dogred? If so, I have seen this boat up close, and the pics do not do it justice. It beautiful.
Djunkie- if you have any questions, feel free to pm anytime, I can speak quite well on Howard and the 25 Bullet with a 496HO.
Roln 20s

Speedin' Ian
09-15-2004, 07:49 PM
IF you are looking at ski boats do yourself a favor and check out Mastercraft and Ski Nautique, they are the pioneers of the sport. Malibu became a great boat once they started incorporating Nautiques and Mastercrafts build technique in the mid 90's (i.e. no wood). Don't get me wrong Malibu makes an incredible boat, just think you should check all your options

XtrmWakeborder
09-15-2004, 07:58 PM
I have a 23 LSV Wakesetter...awesome boat, awesome for towing, but I would not compare the ride in rough stuff to your bullet....I am not sure how the 23 Sunsetter rides, but maybe it is smoother...again, they are great all around boats...
If I had to choose between the Malibu or my DCB, I would probably choose the Malibu...just more functional and have more fun than just going fast on it...
A wakesetter and an f26...i know whos dock i'm rollin up to when i go to the river next time! lol Do you wakeboard or is it for friends and kids etc?

Tommy1005
09-15-2004, 08:13 PM
The Nautiques and Mastercrafts are even more overpriced than the Malibu's. For the money, the Malibu Wakesetter (wakeboard boat, think that's the name) is an excellent boat, and a friend of mine's came with JL speakers in the tower which I thought was a pretty sweet option. He added to 10's and that thing rocks. He also added 2 extra 600lb fat sacks in the back on top of the ones it comes with, so the thing throws a killer wake with it all filled up. Great for boarding or tubing :-D

SoCalOffshore
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I have an interest in a Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. Great boat, but not made for the chop of Havasu. The 25 may be a littel big for wakeboarding. Infact, their top wakeboard boat is the 21 footer with a narrower beam. Their quality is awesome and they put up great wakes with the wedge and all the ballast they carry.

XtrmWakeborder
09-15-2004, 08:56 PM
I have an interest in a Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. Great boat, but not made for the chop of Havasu. The 25 may be a littel big for wakeboarding. Infact, their top wakeboard boat is the 21 footer with a narrower beam. Their quality is awesome and they put up great wakes with the wedge and all the ballast they carry.
How is their top boat the 21 footer....the 23 wakesetter lsv is the most expensive and has the malibu launch system "rear balast" and the mid ship balast standard

roln 20s
09-15-2004, 09:51 PM
How is their top boat the 21 footer....the 23 wakesetter lsv is the most expensive and has the malibu launch system "rear balast" and the mid ship balast standard
The 21 footer is their Bread and Butter wakeboard boat. Its the boat chosen most by the pros, and would be pros. The MLS system is available (if not std) in all wakesetters. Great design. For the most part, if you look at all wakeboard boat manufacturers, they all have 23+ footers, but their "main" wakeboard boat is the 21 footers- Mastercraft XStar, Nautique Super Air Nautique, Tige 21 Riders Editions, 21 LSV Wakesetter, etc... The wakes from this size hull have a little better peak, are not quite as wide, and require less weight to really perfect the wake.
My bro is almost pro--his favorite boat is a 21 LSV wakesetter, and we worked at Texas SkiRanch as an instructor all summer behind Mastercrafts :D
Roln 20s

XtrmWakeborder
09-15-2004, 10:10 PM
The 21 footer is their Bread and Butter wakeboard boat. Its the boat chosen most by the pros, and would be pros. The MLS system is available (if not std) in all wakesetters. Great design. For the most part, if you look at all wakeboard boat manufacturers, they all have 23+ footers, but their "main" wakeboard boat is the 21 footers- Mastercraft XStar, Nautique Super Air Nautique, Tige 21 Riders Editions, 21 LSV Wakesetter, etc... The wakes from this size hull have a little better peak, are not quite as wide, and require less weight to really perfect the wake.
My bro is almost pro--his favorite boat is a 21 LSV wakesetter, and we worked at Texas SkiRanch as an instructor all summer behind Mastercrafts :D
Roln 20s
Hmm on the site the 23 is the only one that has the rear balast standard...and says it has the same hull "even though its longer" which i dont get. i would think same hull extra balast and weight due to size would be a better wake....

DryHeatOnly
09-15-2004, 10:52 PM
My friend bought the 21 LSV Wakesetter this past spring. He absolutely loves it. We saw it at the LA Boat show. His intention was to get the Tige but after seeing the quality of the Malibu and taking a test ride in both he opened the wallet a litttle wider and bought the 'Bu. He says the electronic cruise control is awesome.
Sorry though, no experience with the 25er.

Troubles No More
09-16-2004, 04:44 AM
I change my name from Dogred to Troubles No More. I lose all my troubles when IÂ’m on the water so I was going to name the boat after a old blues song by Muddy Waters (Trouble No More).
Based on what IÂ’ve been told Malibu builds a high-quality boat. Because of the size and design of the Sunscape 25 LSV it should perform acceptable on Havasu ,Mead & Mohave.
My last boat was a 19 ft Mastercraft and it was great in the morning waters & very uncomfortable in afternoon waters, and I have found out that I need a large oversized swim step to sit when trying on a ski/board.
I will listen to offers ,but before I commit to selling the Howard I will need to check out & ride in the Sunscape 25 LSV.

SANGERBRU
09-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Try the Sanger V230 & V210. I purchased the V230 for family rec. and rough water ride, and could'nt be happier. Of course when you buy wholesale it helps.

NuckinFutz
09-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Another brand to not overlook is Ski Centurion. I purchased one new in 1996 and just sold it this summer I have to say it was excellent. I was in the market for a Malibu, but after looking at Centurion I purchased it. The quality of the Centurion was super and it looked like new when sold this year with 650 hours on it. I never had any troubles with it. The gel coat was great and the interior held up awesome. Centurion will gel it with any color combo you want. The only down fall with any tournament boat is the ride in the rough, none will ride like the Howard and that is the only reason I sold the Centurion and went with an Advantage.

RiverForUs
09-17-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm looking at selling my current boat and getting a Malibu. Can anyone tell me his or her experience with Malibu Ski Boats? Â…Â…Thanks
TNM, I hve 2 cousins that own/owned Malibus. One of them actually owns a Malibu dealership here in California. Where are you located? I know these dealers are rather "territorial" so PM me and I can give you his info.

Troubles No More
09-18-2004, 05:55 AM
RiverForUs
Any help would be appreciated, I sent you a pm, call when you have timeÂ…........thanks

RiverForUs
09-18-2004, 08:23 PM
RiverForUs
Any help would be appreciated, I sent you a pm, call when you have timeÂ…........thanks
....so I shot a PM back at you.

mbrown2
09-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Do you wakeboard or is it for friends and kids etc? Both, like to wakeboard, and pull other folks wakeboarding and on the skyski..also, fun to hang out with on with friends.

Havasu_Jet_85
09-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Supura also build a really nice boat...

Goodtime$
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
I have a new Sanger, they do great in chop, but everything will feel like a flatbottom compared to the big Howard.
If you like custom feel with a bigger wakeboard boat, look at the ORION 22tidal wake..orioncustomboats.com.....
full ballast, colors etc custom looking.
for my choice of bigger water boats, V230 sanger, made with wood so it mobs the chop, and 23LSV Bu, the 25 might be too big of a pig to shred behind. or you can try the X80 mastercraft and blow up your wallett...

Powerquestboy
09-20-2004, 11:01 AM
One of my friends has a 25 Sunscape that I am on about every other weekend. Its a great riding boat, tows great, has plenty of power with the 496 in it. We do a ton of wakeboarding and surfing behind it and if you can afford it its a great boat, tons of room for stuff and people. We will go boarding with 10 people and have plenty of room. We have also taken it to havasu several times and its handles the chop fine but its no speed demon and does use a lot gas if you take long boat rides. The other boat I would seriously look at is the 23 LSV, which is an incredible boat. The 25 offers a lot more free board for bigger lakes, and I think its a little more versital.

Troubles No More
09-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the feed back on the 25 Sunscape, I think I need this size because of the chop on the lager lakes. I will take a look at the 23 LSV next time at the Malibu dealer.
IÂ’m definitely going to sell the Howard and buy a ski boat.

roln 20s
09-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the feed back on the 25 Sunscape, I think I need this size because of the chop on the lager lakes. I will take a look at the 23 LSV next time at the Malibu dealer.
Have you told Gene your boat is for sale? I'm sure that thing will be sold the second you say it is--it's beautiful. Anyone looking for a 25 Bullet, buy this, save sales tax, money and the wait until 05!
Roln 20s

cc322
09-23-2004, 08:08 PM

cc322
09-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Just kidding ...good luck it should sell fast

Bow Tie Omega
09-25-2004, 06:55 PM
You may want to look at the Moomba Mobius V. I believe it is 23 ft. I have two friends who purchased Moomba's, they are extremely happy with the results, one does alot of sky skiing at Parker, the other friend is all over, does alot of skiing and wake boarding, they both are very happy, they ride really nice.

mmered8299
10-07-2004, 03:26 PM
I see alot of Tiges out on the water. Any comments on this type of boat?

mbrown2
10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Tige makes a good boat...look at the 22V or 24V if you want to do Wakeboarding....they used to have wood in their boats, but now they are all fiberglass...they have nice wide beams for lots of seating and an open feel...Towers are OK, but not the best...
I am a little biased with the Malibu, but if I were buying I would buy Malibu, Mastercraft or Ski Nautique for quality, fit and finish and resale value....Tige would be my next choice...and I would not look at anything outside of those 4...unless I could not afford one of those 4's...
Right now is a time to get a good deal on used...boarders are upgrading their boats every 1 to 2 years....and don't pass on the boat just cause it has a lot of hours. Some of these folks put lots of hours on a boat in a year, but they keep the engine and boat immaculate, just use it alot....some folks buy them and never use them, but also don't take the greatest care of them.

roln 20s
10-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm with MBrown- I'm definately Malibu biased, only because we have had one for 9 years, 800+ hours and trouble free. Its one of the best boats IMO, very well built and the awards and recognition speaks for itself.
About Tige, something some of you may or may not know, the owner of Tige boats used to be a VP for Malibu. I actually ran into him at a wedding in April in AZ and asked him- why would you leave a company like Malibu, thats employee owned, with you being one of them? His answer (granted, a few drinks were flowing), I thought I could compete and build a better boat, while I'm happy with Tige and its success, Malibu is definately still at the top of their game. Very classy statement from a competing owner.
Something else to note, goes well with MBrowns statement- there are approx 1000-1100 new ski boats built a year:
Malibu= 350
Mastercraft= 350
Nautique= 200
Rest= 200-300 total.
IMO, this speaks volumes. These have been around along time and continue to out sell all others year in and year out, with all of the great changes, developments, competition and huge prices now adays-- these 3 still rise about the rest.
If I didn't buy a Malibu, I would probably buy the MB B52. I don't think Mastercraft is what it used to be, my personal opinion, is they still live on their name a little, and I just do not like their new stylin at all on the X-Star. Never been a nautique fan, but think their boats are definately up their in quality and performance.
Roln 20s

Troubles No More
10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
IÂ’m going to wait for the LA boat show to view all the new boats and will probably trade in my Howard on a Tournament Ski Boat.

mbrown2
10-13-2004, 04:31 PM
IÂ’m going to wait for the LA boat show to view all the new boats and will probably trade in my Howard on a Tournament Ski Boat.
Sounds good...put you Bullett on the market now...I am sure you will have gotten rid of it by Jan-Feb and you will get more money on the street or having Howard sell it for you then trade it...just my .02

NuckinFutz
10-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Not to knock any particular boats, I don't buy into the numbers game. Sure Malibu, Nautique and Mastercraft build more boats, but Bayliner builds far more boats than Howard (get my point). Quantity doesn't mean quality. Personally, shop the brands, take test rides, be honest with what your real needs are and forget what the hull says. Unless you plan on selling the boat in the next couple years I'd buy what I liked most regardless of the brand.

Troubles No More
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Just out of curiosity Â… has anyone driven or had a chance to ride in the MasterCraft MariStar 280 or the X80?
They are very large and expensive for a ski boat, something like $100,000-125,000.

Cbrown
10-29-2004, 07:07 PM
I have not been able to ride in or behind an x80 but have been in one and it is very large and roomy. I have a Malibu Wakesetter Vlx and am very pleased with the build quality and reliability. The bigger boats with the best wake characterisitics are Malibu 23Lsv and 25lsv tige 24v Mastercraft X-star, X-80, and soon to be realesed X-45, Air Nautique 226, Sanger v230, Supra 24SSV, Moomba Xlv, Mb sports 23ftB52, and the Calabria but not sure of the model name. All of the manufactures build quality boats and cannot go wrong with any of them. I would recommend to take a test drive with all the boats your are interested in with all of the gear that you take with you, ride behind the boat, and go with the one that is the most comfortable to you. I work part time with the local Malibu dealer and I recommend this to all of the interested customers. Buy the boat that fits You the best.

Cbrown
10-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Also something that my help you are some websites all about the specific boats.
www.malibuboatowners.com
www.planetnautique.com
www.mymastercraft.com

funkcity
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
As much as I love the hi-po sterndrive v-bottom, I have to admit that the Malibu line is much more family-friendly.
My kids wakeboard, we can pile in 10/11 folks in our new Malibu V-Ride.
The all-glass construction, the amenities, ballast tanks, cruise control for perfect wakes, great resale value...
Malibu is the highest volume boat builder in California.
Great R and D and engineering. I took a tour in Merced last year...what an operation!
Do I miss custom gel? trimability?You bet! Ski/wake boats look boring to me.
The darn stickers just grind my ass but the overall quality and detail is amazingly good.

malik
03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm looking at selling my current boat and getting a Malibu. I have found out that we water ski or wakeboard 80% of the time. I need a boat that can hold the 18-20 mph when wakeboarding & more storage as we carry 2/3-wakeboards and up to 4-water skis on the boat.
Can anyone tell me his or her experience with Malibu Ski Boats?
We are looking at the larger model, the Sunscape 25 LSV ……Thanks
I love my Malibu, and plan on getting a new one. I'll sell you my 23 lsv with 85 hours on it cheap. http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=920

Grinnin'B
03-24-2007, 07:48 PM
One boat has risen to the top Nautique 236 and far more less expensive than the Malibu or Mastercraft, and IMHO a better boat by far....
If I need explain just ask.
B

beaverretriever
04-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Supura also build a really nice boat...
Ditto that. If I were to buy another wakeboard boat, the Supras would definitely be on the list. You get so much more, for much less.
We had a Moomba, part of the Skiers Choice line up and it was awesome. It was the lower end Supra. It held its value better than any boat I have seen. We actually sold it for more than we paid for it. All the Supras and Moombas use the Indmars that are found on the Mastercrafts and Malibus.
We also had awesome service from Moomba. At the time we bought ours, we didn't have a dealer here in Vegas (now we do) and the factory always took good care of me. The Malibu dealer here treated me as I didn't have two nickles to rub together. So we took our 40k somwhere else.
I used to get it serviced over at the MC dealer (they were always really nice btw). They actually loved my boat. They would always coment how nice it was, and couldn't believe the price I paid for it.
I think they are all pretty good. Do I like Malibus and MasterCrafts? Yeah, they are both awesome. Do I think they are the best value? I would say NO.
If I had the dough and wanted to purchase a Wakeboat, the EPIC would be it hands down... They are sick.
http://www.epicboats.com/
My list would be EPIC, MB sports, Supra (if cost was an issue)

Flyinbowtie
04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Supra builds a real nice boat, a friend has a 2003 model and it is sweet.
We absolutely love our 1999 SkiSanger DLX. We came from a family style production I/O open-bow boat, and the Sanger is great.
Do your best to ride in all the models you are considering, in your situation I'd be leaning towards the V230. If my sons were younger and in the boat more, I'd be trying to find a way to move up to one, but our DLX is fine.

Coach
04-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Malibu makes a sweet boat. I almost bought one this last November but ended up going with the new Tige RZ2. I didn't like the Tige Ve series as much as the BU 23 LSV. The Tige handled the rough chop better than any other boat I tested (MC x-30, MCx15, BU 23 LSV, Sanger 24 GG) If you are looking for a big boat Tige just finished the RZ4 and they have one at Tige Water Sports in Corona. I suggest you check it out. It is stickered for 17 people!!! It is a beast. 24 feet long 102" beam. The TAPs system is nice to change the steepness of the wake. I didn't put ballast in mine because I normally ride with a bunch of fat asses so we have ballast on board.:D I would give Tige a look I think they have really stepped up their game with the RZ2 and RZ4 and their new plant in Texas is at full go this year and the quality is top notch. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with BU, Tige, CC, MC or Supra. They are all quality boats. Check out my profile and I have more pics of my boat in one of the links.

LAVEYSABRE575
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I just purchased a TIGE RZ4, It's a hole different kind of boating with a 7yr old tubeing,wakeboarding etc. alot easier with this boat. I should take delivery right around memorial. Side note these boats don't back up worth the sh-t...Derek