PDA

View Full Version : goods and bads of rogers

chickenhead
09-15-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm just trying to get some info on rogers hulls I was wondering what the goods and bads are on these info please.

Squirtin Thunder
09-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I hear they have a deep V unlike the Sanger Custom Sprint Jet

Squirtin Thunder
09-15-2004, 07:06 PM
:cool:

chickenhead
09-15-2004, 07:16 PM
here are a couple of pics of mine.

b's sanger
09-15-2004, 07:28 PM
There might be some bias in that Squirtin Thunder post :idea: :idea: :idea:

corlish
09-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Chickenhead,
I think you will be hard pressed to find any "bads" about a Rogers. Beginning with Roger's dad's 'Weiman Boats' and continuing with 'Rogers Custom Boats' they have always been well known and well built. The quality of the layups was always outstanding. Stress cracks are NOT the norm on any Rogers. They are all 3/4 and full stringer boats with thick keels. The molds were always meticulously taken care of ... never left out in the sun as other builders did.
The early (up to 72 I believe) Weimans and Rogers were a deep entry design which made them excellent turning boats and made for a great ride in the chop, but also made them prone to bow steer and spinning out.
The later boats came as a "standard deck" Super Cyclone and the bubble deck Bonneville. Lengths were 18' and 19', the 19's are all bubbledecks, known as TR's and have dropped chines. There is some belief that the 18's are slightly faster BUT there are plenty of excessively fast 19's such as Cyclone's boat. The 18's have remnants of the early boats bottoms with the primary differences being the deep entry bow was gone and the inner strakes were shortened.
All in all, if you want this style/size of boat -- you can't go wrong with a Rogers!
Corey

MikeF
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
The only thing that I do not like about them is there is no reverse chine up near the bow and water coming off the front of the bow does tend to come back in your face and adding waterspots to your glasses. :rolleyes:
The bonnevilles are the ones to have. They are safer than alot of other boats @ speed.

Squirtin Thunder
09-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes B's Sanger is corect.
I will say my father has a Delta that is the same thing as the Wieman Rogers and it has been a very good boat over the last 32 years. It has a very solid hull. And then it is also a very heavy boat needs lots of power to get in the 70mph range. It is very good in rough water, we have run it out to the golden gate from Redwood City.
Jim

1978 Rogers
09-16-2004, 06:45 AM
The only thing that I do not like about them is there is no reverse chine up near the bow and water coming off the front of the bow does tend to come back in your face and adding waterspots to your glasses. :rolleyes:
The bonnevilles are the ones to have. They are safer than alot of other boats @ speed.
I'm glad to hear this happens to other people also. :D

Duke
09-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Id like to ask which rogers mold was used to pop out the 18' Advantage jet.
and what speeds I can expect to achieve with X amount of power and pump work before its too much...
Same boat/pump as roostwear, just not an open bow and running a chevy

cyclone
09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
here are a couple of pics of mine.
your Bonneville TR is an excellent hull. It's a safe ride well over 110 mph. With a conservative hardware setup it will moderate sized chop and if it has a turning-skeg on the bottom, then it probably turns on a dime. Got any other pics?

roostwear
09-16-2004, 09:36 AM
and what speeds I can expect to achieve with X amount of power and pump work before its too much...
It's my understanding Advantage used the Bubbledeck with an insert for our boats.
As far as what speed, I'm at 68.7 now, and will be testing next week with the shoe/rideplate and intake modifications. Before it's too much? I probably passed that a long time ago. If I don't break 70, I DID pass that a long time ago! Your hull should be a little lighter than mine, and use less power to air it out. I know I'm at a disadvantage with the extra seat weight on the bow.
Are you coming out for FC2 at Big River? It'd be a trip having my boat's twin there. Do me a favor and post another pic of your boat.... it's eery how much alike they are.

cyclone
09-16-2004, 09:37 AM
I believe Advantage bought the 18 Bonneville mold. That hull will run about 80 mph with 475-500 hp and the right hardware setup.

victorfb
09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
i have not yet GPSed my 18. but with the BBC estamated 500HP and an A/B berk, i am guessing im in the mid 70's. but like most people i too am a dreamer. :D

roostwear
09-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I have looked at a few older Advantages, and I have yet to see the 18' with the bonneville hull without an E pump. That's one big advantage to the Rogers over mine. I have seen this same hull used thru 1986, but I'm sure OR would know for sure.

Duke
09-16-2004, 11:58 AM
It's my understanding Advantage used the Bubbledeck with an insert for our boats.
As far as what speed, I'm at 68.7 now, and will be testing next week with the shoe/rideplate and intake modifications. Before it's too much? I probably passed that a long time ago. If I don't break 70, I DID pass that a long time ago! Your hull should be a little lighter than mine, and use less power to air it out. I know I'm at a disadvantage with the extra seat weight on the bow.
Are you coming out for FC2 at Big River? It'd be a trip having my boat's twin there. Do me a favor and post another pic of your boat.... it's eery how much alike they are.
i wont be making it out to FC2, iv been over sees since CBBB. unfortunetly i wasnt able to make that either.
im in france right now and supposed to stay untill new years but im beginning to dislike the french more then i knew i could..
i want to go to the lake... :cry: :cry: :cry:
but we'll definetly have to meet up some time, i have a buddy who has a open bow advantage, white with grey and red .. should be pretty cool if all of us could meet up at the same time.
edit: my buddys open bow has the cover engine hatch and ford like yours but he's sporting a Berk JG , not sure of the year; either a 84 or 89 the vin is kinda iffy

roostwear
09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Duke, I dug yours up... still eery.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943Dukes_boat_running-med.jpg
Mine
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/896riv1.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Roost,
Thats COOL !!!!!
......... and Bailies
With cclouns and ballons tooo !!!!!
No I actually like you boat, I think its cool. Soon to be a 80mph family boat. With a very good running FORD !!!!

roostwear
09-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Roost,
Thats COOL !!!!!
......... and Bailies
With cclouns and ballons tooo !!!!!
No I actually like you boat, I think its cool. Soon to be a 80mph family boat. With a very good running FORD !!!!
And the optional cupholders!

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Roost,
I need to get some cup holders for my Sanger Custom Sprint Jet too.
Jim

1Bahnerjet
09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Roost,
I need to get some cup holders for my Sanger Custom Sprint Jet too.
Jim
from Eddie Marine some real Custom ones.
(sorry Rex couldn't find your Catalog, oh wait I don't have one...)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43Thursday_September_16_2004_2_.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Ha Ha Ha LOL LOL LOL !!!!
You shouldn't do that, LOL LOL !!!!

MarKist
09-16-2004, 06:21 PM
shizit tell it like it is!! :D :D :D
MarKist

TRG
09-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I personaly think that the Rogers hulls are the best looking by far, they have a truly unique design that has only been "imitated not duplicated" while others have given all of the reasons why they are great hulls to own, i will point out one pitfall of the rogers, i have yet to come across any rogers that does not have cracking at the rear of the gunnells (corner of the motor area) it is clearley the weakest link in the hull, in my hull i have one crack on each side with only 400-475 hp and a tore back pump! now imagine that same boat with 6-900hp and a tight pump? ive chased this animal and it seems to return with signifigant HP.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662daddys_boat.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/662myboat-med.JPG
im trying despirately to make it to the fb2, acordint to some close friends...i will be there! woo hoo!! first river trip!!lol
todd

TRG
09-16-2004, 09:56 PM
hey mike! unpucker your ass and get her above 3k,... you wont have any prob's! lol
(did i say that outloud?) :squiggle:

victorfb
09-16-2004, 10:16 PM
hey mike! unpucker your ass and get her above 3k,... you wont have any prob's! lol
(did i say that outloud?) :squiggle:
I heard something. :rollside:

TRG
09-16-2004, 10:20 PM
hey vic,...do you ever have that same prob. that ol' mikef claimed?
:p

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2004, 10:43 PM
All I can say to you as Rogers boat owners is this the top deck came from Sanger or a copy of. The bottom hull is there own design, very good one at that. But back to the dead rise issue, The '70-'78 Rogers/Wieman was a very good boat and where built to last forever, and had a very deep V. The latter years of the Rogers was more of a copy what the leaders were doing and make a buck. Don't get me wrong the boats where still very good but seemed to fallow the pac. And the Advantage Boats well factory need I say more. There have been many complaints over the last 5 years. But again Dollars payed a big part in that. I did speek to a guy that told me that to his understanding the problems were taken care of about 3 years ago or so. One thing you can say about most older boats is that the guys building them cared about, had a pasion for the boats that they were building. I spoke to the guy that rigged my Sanger about 3 months ago, that guy asked me for a hull number went to get something (I think a notebook or file) and then told me things that only a rigger or builder would know about a particular boat. After riding in Roostwears boat I was very impressed with the ride, which gave me appriciation for the Rogers/Advantage Boats.

1Bahnerjet
09-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Squirtin Thunder.
too bad OldRigger isn't postin' now (Vacation? Work? Tired?) He was Close to the Rogers/Advantage Ventures (worked for them) He claimed Roger only borrowed the Bubble portion of the Deck from Sanger. He also said Bahner Splashed Sangers Bubble Plus Rogers Bottom (dang) I always thought a Bahner was closer to the Southwind Hull, but how many ways can you Build an 18' Jet Boat. they all have something in common. :idea:

1978 Rogers
09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
your Bonneville TR is an excellent hull. It's a safe ride well over 110 mph. With a conservative hardware setup it will moderate sized chop and if it has a turning-skeg on the bottom, then it probably turns on a dime. Got any other pics?
Turning-skeg? Are these the two little skegs on either side of the pump intake or are they skegs down the center line like some V-drives and ski boats? Sorry, I'm still learning.

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Yah if they are fast or quick they have a Berk and a Big Bad Ford.I was not baggin on any of the boats. Just stating some things that I have been told over the years. I knew Miles .......... he was invalved in Bahner and Advantage and Carrea and............................., he was a crook, but that was along time ago, 25+ years. Of all the boat builder that I have met, '89 to present, I would say Jim Cole was the one that understood what we as hotrodders wanted. The problem or the cause of the demise of hot boats was emissions, gas prices and those damm turniment ski boats. Hell that is all that Sanger biulds now. I wish I could get some of the molds. Are there any other guys out there besides Scotten that know what we as Hot Boaters want???

Heatseeker
09-17-2004, 07:51 AM
My TR has the skeg. It's located about 10" in front of the intake and hangs down about 6". Turning on a dime is an understatement! At high speeds, it can make the boat downright squirrelly.
If anyone needs one, mine's coming off over the winter.
Todd, where exactly have you found the cracks you mentioned? I haven't seen any on my hull, but maybe I'm not looking in the area you've described. I sure want to keep an eye out for them!

MikeF
09-17-2004, 08:08 AM
hey vic,...do you ever have that same prob. that ol' mikef claimed? :p
I only said it was a problem when wearing sunglasses :mix: , otherwise it can be refreshing in the heat of the desert. :cool:

victorfb
09-17-2004, 09:06 AM
hey vic,...do you ever have that same prob. that ol' mikef claimed?
:p
no. but i think i know what he is talking about. at cruising speed the boat does have a bit of side spray just about under my seat, but its not coming up infront of me nor is it up so i get it in the face.
Mike. id like to see your boats ride. it sounds like you may have the boat riding funny. before installing a 2 degree wedge my hull porposed like crazy. just that little addition made a huge difference. its all in the set up. my intake is installed 2 degrees more than most so i had to do a little thinking on making it ride nice. all hulls act differantly and you may need to fine tune yours to get the ride correct.

victorfb
09-17-2004, 09:15 AM
My TR has the skeg. It's located about 10" in front of the intake and hangs down about 6". Turning on a dime is an understatement! At high speeds, it can make the boat downright squirrelly.
If anyone needs one, mine's coming off over the winter.
Todd, where exactly have you found the cracks you mentioned? I haven't seen any on my hull, but maybe I'm not looking in the area you've described. I sure want to keep an eye out for them!
hey John. if you dont want that skeg, ill take it. i have one on my 18" and love it. but wouldnt mind having an extra just in case. the waters are getting low.
the area to look at on your hull for cracks are right in the rear corners. from inside the boat at the rear corners and about 2 inches from the inside edge. they actually look like they follow the paint or gel lines so they are sometimes hard to spot.

Boater Bill
09-17-2004, 10:45 AM
I personaly think that the Rogers hulls are the best looking by far, they have a truly unique design that has only been "imitated not duplicated" while others have given all of the reasons why they are great hulls to own, i will point out one pitfall of the rogers, i have yet to come across any rogers that does not have cracking at the rear of the gunnells (corner of the motor area) it is clearley the weakest link in the hull, in my hull i have one crack on each side with only 400-475 hp and a tore back pump! now imagine that same boat with 6-900hp and a tight pump? ive chased this animal and it seems to return with signifigant HP.
todd
Don't forget about the sides where the original gas tanks end as another "trouble spot".

victorfb
09-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't forget about the sides where the original gas tanks end as another "trouble spot".
just replace the piece of folded carpet that pads the tanks to the hull and youll be fine. :eek:
thats a great point and glad you addressed it. best fix? change to cylinder tanks.

roostwear
09-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Victor, speaking of Roger, didja read your PMs yet? :D

victorfb
09-17-2004, 11:46 AM
ok, so im a bit slow on that. shot ya one back just a couple minutes ago.

Heatseeker
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Now those cracks I do have. Little spider webs on the tumble down area. I laid some extra glass on the inside wall and rubber backed the tanks in those areas. So far, they haven't gotten any worse.
Vic, I'll keep you in mind when I remove the fin.

chickenhead
09-17-2004, 04:26 PM
on my rogers it has the stress crack in back by the motor and in the front where it looks like they met the bottom of the boat to the top is that normal and hard to fix?

TRG
09-17-2004, 09:24 PM
heat, vic is correct in his explanation, in the rear top of the gunnell at the bend towards the transom.
mikef, sounds like you need a hug buddy! i was tired and just plain poking fun with you last night! :rollside:

MikeF
09-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I'd imagine the water at Elsinore on the face would not be so refreshing. :notam:

TRG
09-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Please do not take this the wrong way guys, but i do not believe that the rogers cap design was at any time taken from the sanger,... but i will say that they do resemble each other! I have had my hands involved in quite a few rogers (all models) as well as the sangers (excluding the hydro's), and i will say this, the rogers bubble is alike, but stands 2'' taller than the sanger,
the rear of the cap between the gunnells is much wider than sanger, the cock pit on a rogers is quite a bit shorter than sanger (longer bow than the sanger) every rogers that i have ever worked on has been born with at least 3/4 stringers (unlike sangers) the list is quite long!
through growing up on the river like most of us, i spent summers in havasu doing fiberglass rep's at my uncles shop (Fishermans Bait & Tackle) on all types of boats and worked on quite a few of sangers and rogers boats,although they look alike, i'll give my test. that they are not alike, but i do love them too! (third best!)
hopefully at the fbc we can get a few of us together and comare the diff. when they are in the water and together i think you will be suprised. :D sorry to bore you guys, closing mouth now! lol
todd

TRG
09-17-2004, 09:55 PM
mike, it depends on what time of day you are there! lol

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Todd,
I hate to disagree but you are comparing Sanger Super Jets to the Rogers not Sanger Custom Sprint Jets. Please see atached. I hope I can get the boat done by then.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2004, 10:02 PM
**** !!!!!!

TRG
09-17-2004, 10:05 PM
if my parts are in by then, i will be there!

old rigger
09-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Hey Todd,
The bubble on a Rogers, any of them, was a direct pop off the Sanger. In fact, Roger popped it the same year Sanger introduced it, may have been the first to splash it. Although, he only splashed the bubble and grafted it to his flat deck, altering it a little to his liking. Hence the straight and higher gunales. Mucher better looking in my crappy opinion than the gunale that has a step in it, like a Sanger
The 'cap' is the seam around the two parts, deck and hull. When you fill the seam, you've capped a boat.
As far as Squirtin Thunders quote above, I'm gonna go throuh it a little......
'All I can say to you as Rogers boat owners is this the top deck came from Sanger or a copy of.'
Not true. read above.
'The bottom hull is there own design, very good one at that. But back to the dead rise issue, The '70-'78 Rogers/Wieman was a very good boat and where built to last forever, and had a very deep V. The latter years of the Rogers was more of a copy what the leaders were doing and make a buck. '
Again not true. Where does this shit come from? Rogers, much to his credit and much to his willingness not to follow the crowd and build bellybutton looking boats, still built the same boats, outa the same molds, from the 70's until he retired about 3 years ago. His boats were built with the same one-at-a-time care til the last days the doors were open.
'Don't get me wrong the boats where still very good'
true
'but seemed to fallow the pac.'
Nothing could be further from the truth . What pack did he follow? Please show me. Rather than slip into the mass produced type of building in the early eighties, we did other things to keep busy in between boats after the energy crunch (thanks Jimmy Carter) like dioing glass work for film productions, custom stereo speatkers and cabninets and the like. One year we only built about 7 boats. Those 7 got way more attention from us than they should have simply because we loved building boats and when an order came in we were very happy to do what we were supposed to do. we were so slow at one point, that many thought Roger had closed the doors.
"follow the pack"....please.
'And the Advantage Boats well factory need I say more. '
Please do. I'd like to hear what you think of them.
'There have been many complaints over the last 5 years. But again Dollars payed a big part in that. I did speek to a guy that told me that to his understanding the problems were taken care of about 3 years ago or so.'
Got me on that one. I haven't worked there since the early 90's. lol
'One thing you can say about most older boats is that the guys building them cared about, had a pasion for the boats that they were building.'
I think the passions still there. Just my 02.
'I spoke to the guy that rigged my Sanger about 3 months ago, that guy asked me for a hull number went to get something (I think a notebook or file) and then told me things that only a rigger or builder would know about a particular boat.'
True. I still have a book with all the boats listed in it that I ever worked on dating back to '74. I still have my dads dating to '66.
'After riding in Roostwears boat I was very impressed with the ride, which gave me appriciation for the Rogers/Advantage Boats.'
Mikes boat is cool. Fast too for an e pump.
Not to stir any pot, but if you think that Sanger was untouchable, or without fault, you badly mistaken. I have a friend that bought one in the late, late 70 (when every shop was struggling to stay afloat) and it was a mess. The deck was full of blisters on delivery. After trying to fix them the deck was replaced. It too blistered. Finally a third deck, after a threat of a law suit, was installed and it was a winner. In fact the boats still owned by the same guy.
My point is all shops had their screw ups. I know a guy that owns a Schiada that was dropped off the trailer coming back from a boat show in Vegas. Funniest part of the story is that the 2 guys in the truck didn't know they'd dropped it til they go home. Had to go find it along hwy 15. It was still there laying in the dirt.
Also, there was never anyone I knew at Advantage named Miles (cept my best friend that rigged for me there for 2 years, and then got the hell out of the boat biz......... lucky bastard ) that was connected with the shops you named. Maybe you meant Lyle? He was Jerry Bakers (Kona Boats) son in law and worked at all the shops you mentioned. But I don't think he was a theif. He was a hell of a glass man though! He was the GM of Advantage's sister company, Fiberglass Concepts.

Squirtin Thunder
09-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Oldrigger,
Maybe I was mistaken on the Miles thing, but that is what I get for trying to remember back 25-30 years. Maybe he was just a distributor or Dealer for Advantage. And yes I do believe that all companies had there problems. And yes I have heard that about Sanger too. But I don't repeat it. I just think that the Sanger Custom Sprint Jet is a very nice looking and riding boat. I have had a flat deck none runner flat V-drive Sanger and a Bubble deck O/B Sanger. I enjoyed all of them. Now I also no that my old Hondo 17'10" Drag Flat had its falts too. No matter what boat you may have someone will always have something to say about it. Now as for Rogers, so they barrowed the top, deck from Sanger and modified it right?? But they designed the bottom them selfs, am I correct or was it barrowed and modified too ???
Thanks for setting me strieght
Jim

old rigger
09-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Oldrigger,
Now as for Rogers, so they barrowed the top, deck from Sanger and modified it right?? But they designed the bottom them selfs, am I correct or was it barrowed and modified too ???
Thanks for setting me strieght
Jim
lol. I'm not trying to set anyone straight, just throwng my 02 in. I can't remember shit from the early days to well either.
But to answer your question, No, Roger did not use the deck from a Sanger for his boats, just the bubble from the deck. He then fitted that to his flat deck and popped a mold for it.
Your right in thinking his bottom was his own design. Much copied bottom.
All the shops have their horror stories. Makes one wonder after hearing them why we keep buying boats!

Heatseeker
09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
It's good to hear from you Rich.
Where've you been hiding lately?
Diggler was looking for you a couple of weeks back. He's bought a new boat(a newer Ultra pickle deal), and is looking to sell his old Tahiti. He wanted to give you first crack since your dad originally rigged it.
Don't be such a stranger!!!

throwerb
09-18-2004, 03:57 PM
All I can say about my 21' Rogers is I wish I did'nt have to sell it :( , it handles like a dream, and was built to last. :)

Heatseeker
09-18-2004, 04:00 PM
All I can say about my 21' Rogers is I wish I did'nt have to sell it :( , it handles like a dream, and was built to last. :)
If I had the $$ and a place to keep it , I'd buy your boat. It looks like a sweet cruiser.

throwerb
09-18-2004, 04:07 PM
If I had the $$ and a place to keep it , I'd buy your boat. It looks like a sweet cruiser.
I hear ya, wish I could keep it.