PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Gate Valve

Inciong_A
07-18-2001, 01:26 PM
I have a 82 Sleekcraft which gets temps of 180F when idling and 130F cruising. From what I've been reading here, 160F to 180F would be the optimum temp for the motor while cruising. I would like to install a gate valve as a lot of you guys have. I've read one post before where someone has the controls for his gate valve next to the driver's seat.
How can I do it? Can I run 3/4" hose from the jet pump along the side of the boat to the driver's seat? Then, I can make it go through a ball valve and then run the hose back to the motor. This way, I can open up the valve when idling. Then, when cruising, I close it up a bit to raise the engine temp.
Or is using a Water Bypass Valve set-up a lot less hassle? How much does one of these set-ups cost?

froggystyle
07-18-2001, 01:31 PM
I don't know anyone running a gate valve at the drivers seat. Most of those valves you see are for water-injected headers. That is so you can manually regulate your water injection at low rpms, or when racing (less water=more power) The gate valve is something that you install inline coming out of your pump, and set and forget. Once it is dialed in, it does not really need to be adjusted anymore.

Old Charger
07-18-2001, 06:50 PM
I definately need to get a gate vavle in my water line. The engine never gets above 100F at anytime, idling or not. I tested the temp. sending unit and it works.
Been reading through the various threads and it seems like a thermostat would THE way to go but hooking up a bypass line sounds like a pain in the ass.

norcal.spectra
07-23-2001, 07:41 AM
I use a gate valve.. a globe valve would be best...don't use a ball valve they move too easy, they leak, and they're not designed to restrict flow...