PDA

View Full Version : Gifting Clubs??

Ziggy
09-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Mandy's Bunko thread made me think of it.
Anyones wife ever get involved with one of those?? Invest $2k, um I mean give it as a gift and expect to get a gift after doing some recruiting for 10-12 times your original investment..ah, I mean gift :idea:

IN2-IN2MX
09-15-2004, 08:32 PM
:( Again...never heard of it. :hammerhea What's wrong with me?

Kachina26
09-15-2004, 08:34 PM
My wife tried to pull us into "friends helping friends" a few years back. I went to one of the meetings and saw some peeps get their money. I know many of them that were left out in the cold. LOST their money! And the popo got wind of it and shut it down. Don't matter what name they give it, it's illegal and people do go to jail over it.

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Pyramid scheme, plain and simple.

NorCal Gameshow
09-15-2004, 08:36 PM
sounds like a creative pyramid scheme...i mean gift exchange ;) :D

Ziggy
09-15-2004, 08:44 PM
My wife tried to pull us into "friends helping friends" a few years back. I went to one of the meetings and saw some peeps get their money. I know many of them that were left out in the cold. LOST their money! And the popo got wind of it and shut it down. Don't matter what name they give it, it's illegal and people do go to jail over it.
Its been under several names, some that I have heard:
Friends helping friends.
Exchange club.
Women helping women.
Gift club.
Any other names you've heard it under?
And yeah, its very illegal.
Had an employees wife who was heavily involved. I turned my nose at it and warned her sternly. She cooled on it for just a while after some of her "partners" got busted but later started back up on it. Crazy!

IN2-IN2MX
09-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Ohhhhhh! Now i know what you're talking about. My parents used to do it way back when I was a kid.

HM
09-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Yup, and you guys call what I do a pyramid. :hammerhea

PHX ATC
09-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Ex workmate thought this was the best thing since sliced bread...she got involved, ponied up her $2000 and she never heard from her newfound "friends" again. '
Of course, every chance I got I metioned the word "gift" rather loudly followed by a chuckle.
Pyramid schemey scam.

ahhell
09-16-2004, 06:20 AM
about 8-10 years ago, the wifey got in on the top floor of one of these "recruiting" parties. the first "investment" of 1000 made a return of 6000.....overnite, the second investment was gone after the local L.E. found out about it. yep its a pyramid