PDA

View Full Version : This Will Shut Up the Ford vs. Chevy Boys (for a few minutes)

MagicMtnDan
09-15-2004, 09:30 PM
It's taken a Schwarzenegger in the state house and HUMMERs in Brentwood, but finally, the toughest off-road brand has been cowed by something bigger, badder, and more likely to appear in a Mad Max sequel. International proudly proclaims that its CXT is now the world's biggest production pickup truck; seeing as it's built on the same chassis as the company's snow plows and dump trucks, it's either agree or be pushed out of the way. The CXT has three times the payload of regular trucks, uses air brakes, and offers its driver the ability to carry their life goodies literally by the ton. The CXT could also qualify for kiddie carpool duty, as it seats five and offers up captain's chairs, a DVD entertainment system and XM satellite radio. Power comes from a 220-hp diesel with 540 pound-feet of torque and an Allison automatic gearbox. The company hopes to build about 50 of them for about $100,000, marketing it at entrepreneurs in heavy-duty industries like contracting, landscaping, and hardscaping.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8374_image.gif

locogringo
09-15-2004, 10:00 PM
DAMN! I could tow my 47 Outerlimits without a problem behind that!

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Corn Binders unite. :D
I think I'll go trade my Scout in on one of those. :notam:

Excessive Force
09-15-2004, 10:10 PM
thats one fugly ass truck!

XtrmWakeborder
09-15-2004, 10:13 PM
220hp 550ftlbs ...doesnt seem that bad to me....

NorCal Gameshow
09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
thats one fugly ass truck!
I doubt we'll see any 90 lb. soccer moms driving that photochopped-looking rig around

Excessive Force
09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
hell my PSD puts out that much :cool:

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2004, 10:17 PM
hell my PSD puts out that much :cool:
That's the base engine, the web-site says that there are three power levels available.
I'll take mine with and Eaton manual, thank you very much.
Freightliner has been doing this for a couple years, I believe they call theirs "Sport Chasis", no CDL required.

Misogynist
09-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Corn Binders unite. :D
I think I'll go trade my Scout in on one of those. :notam:
Oh man... it's been 30 years since I have heard someone call an International a "corn binder"............. I thought for sure I was the only one that knew that name......... :D

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Oh man... it's been 30 years since I have heard someone call an International a "corn binder"............. I thought for sure I was the only one that knew that name......... :D
LOL. Go hang out with off-road peeps for a little while, and you'll start to hear them talk about 'binders. :D

LUVNLIFE
09-16-2004, 03:45 AM
That seems underpowered. Mine has a 330 Cat with the Eaton Autoshift and I'm happy as hell with it. :D

Freak
09-16-2004, 03:52 AM
6tons in the bed. 27000 towing and 220hp is base engine.

HighRoller
09-16-2004, 03:57 AM
I'll take mine with a 600 CAT and an 18 Speed Eaton. Oh that's right, the smog nazis won't let CAT make the 600 anymore. Well, maybe just a 550 Detroit then...

Sleek-Jet
09-16-2004, 04:03 AM
550 Mercedes is supposed to be the shit I'm told. :idea:

Freak
09-16-2004, 04:14 AM
I'll take mine with a 600 CAT and an 18 Speed Eaton. Oh that's right, the smog nazis won't let CAT make the 600 anymore. Well, maybe just a 550 Detroit then...
It's going to be interesting what will happen with the whole smog thing. Since all that smog crap is actually lowering gas mileage. As the price of fuel goes up and people start to really bitch about the price of everything what will be more important? Conservation of environment or conservation of fuel.

RiverRatMike
09-16-2004, 05:09 AM
It's taken a Schwarzenegger in the state house and HUMMERs in Brentwood, but finally, the toughest off-road brand has been cowed by something bigger, badder, and more likely to appear in a Mad Max sequel. International proudly proclaims that its CXT is now the world's biggest production pickup truck; seeing as it's built on the same chassis as the company's snow plows and dump trucks, it's either agree or be pushed out of the way. The CXT has three times the payload of regular trucks, uses air brakes, and offers its driver the ability to carry their life goodies literally by the ton. The CXT could also qualify for kiddie carpool duty, as it seats five and offers up captain's chairs, a DVD entertainment system and XM satellite radio. Power comes from a 220-hp diesel with 540 pound-feet of torque and an Allison automatic gearbox. The company hopes to build about 50 of them for about $100,000, marketing it at entrepreneurs in heavy-duty industries like contracting, landscaping, and hardscaping.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8374_image.gif
almost looks like a small semi truck

HighRoller
09-16-2004, 05:35 AM
It's going to be interesting what will happen with the whole smog thing. Since all that smog crap is actually lowering gas mileage. As the price of fuel goes up and people start to really bitch about the price of everything what will be more important? Conservation of environment or conservation of fuel.
That's what happens when you get a government agency trying to regulate an issue they know nothing about. EGR systems cause an increase in underhood temps of 100-200%. That does wonders for your belts, gaskets and hoses not to mention EGR engines are 50-10% less efficient, which effectively nullifies any gains caused by a cleaner running engine. 5-10% in a vehicle running 150,000 miles a year is a nightmare. Good job, EPA. Glad you got what you wanted.(Which was the massive fine monies extorted from Caterpillar)

dmontzsta
09-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Thats one ugly looking vehicle.

Racer277
09-16-2004, 06:55 AM
All that and you have to pay extra for the tow package? :rolleyes:

welk2party
09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
I can't decide if I like it or not.

Jordy
09-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Hey MMD, this is about the 7th time a thread about this truck has been started. ;)
EGR systems cause an increase in underhood temps of 100-200%. That does wonders for your belts, gaskets and hoses not to mention EGR engines are 50-10% less efficient
Not true. The EGR engines require a little bigger radiator and charge air cooler. Other than that, there isn't much of a change. The Series 60 Detroit lost under 10%, if even that much, when it changed over to EGR. As far as the underhood temp things, keep reading:
Good job, EPA. Glad you got what you wanted.(Which was the massive fine monies extorted from Caterpillar)
Now, first issue. The underhood heat deal comes from the Cat engines that decided to go with twin turbos, rather than EGR. Their claim was that putting a small percent of exhaust back through the turbo and into the intake charge again was going to create excessive heat. Ever been standing next to one turbo when it was glowing red hot, under load? Take that and double it. There is your excessive underhood heat. I've talked to guys with the ACCERT Cat's who said that they have even noticed a temperature change in their cab from the heat the twin turbos put out. I hear that Cat even burned a couple rigs to the ground when they first did the initial testing on the ACCERT engines. This guy also lost like 3-4 mpg on average over the same Cat he had in his last truck that was non-ACCERT. That's huge, especially when you're driving hundreds of thousands of miles a year, even more so with diesel running up around $2.00 per gallon...
As far as the fines, Cat went a route that nobody said would work, and it didn't work, and I think that it still isn't running as clean as the manufacturers that went with EGR. For every engine that they put out, they pay a fine for it being non-compliant with the latest tier of emissions standards. They're set to jump up to the next level again in '08 I believe.
Right now in Maricopa county (Phoenix and surrounding areas) they have enacted a law that says that all diesels that are registered must meet '88 diesel emissions standards. '88 was the first time that they started measuring and regulating diesel emissions. So lets say you have a small construction company with a 4,000 gallon water truck that's a 1981 with a 3208 Cat in it (possibly the dirtiest diesel out there), it moves from jobsite to jobsite, but has to be registered for when it drives 100 yds on the street to get water from a hydrant. Now that person gets a letter in the mail saying that they will not be getting their registration renewed until they have proof that they have either repowered it ($30K on up depending which route you go) or taken measures to ensure that it will pass, and have receipts from a shop showing what was done. It's been a hoot out here. What's even better is you can call the ADEQ (Arizona Department of Environmental Quality) and talk to the guy running the show and he doesn't have any kind of helpful information. He reads the law as it's written, but that is the extent of it. No idea anything else about diesel emissions and what they're looking for.
And it's only going to get worse. :(

prosthogod
09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Didn't this come up the other day and we determined it was underpowered, overpriced piece of crap.

LESSON LEARNED
09-16-2004, 08:50 AM
I was looking into one......But at almost 90k I at least want the bed to follow some of the cab lines.....That looks to easy and cheap for them to make for them to earn my business.......

Freak
09-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Didn't this come up the other day and we determined it was underpowered, overpriced piece of crap.
yes because no one read the specs. 6tons in the bed. 27000 towing and 220hp is base engine