PDA

View Full Version : Havasu's London Bridge "New look for the future"!

hot_diggity_dog
09-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Big (Ben) Plans: Developer gives City Council glimpse of possible development to replace English Village
Story by: By Brian Wedemeyer
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/lake/news02.jpeg
Submitted This artist's rendering shows what a proposed development on current location of the English Village would look like from the London Bridge.
The Lake Havasu City Council on Tuesday received a surprise glimpse of what the English Village might look like in a few years.
A review of some proposed amendments to the city's general plan took an unexpected turn when a spokesman for Havasu English Village, LLC agreed to display some conceptual drawings on a wide screen.
The drawings, which include two multi-level structures and a large tower clock, received immediate feedback from the audience. Some shared their excitement while others expressed some concerns.
Havasu English Village is one of seven applicants seeking a new land use designation in the general plan that would allow for a mixture of both commercial and residential development. For this group, the new designation, titled "Resort-Related-Mainland," would take place on 6.8 acres north of the London Bridge.
During his presentation, project spokesman Larry Heath described the English Village as the "cornerstone piece" of the community. With more than half the retail space empty, the English Village has struggled to attract tourists in recent years.
"We take very seriously the relationship this property enjoys with the community and we'd much like to improve it," Heath said. "It's been getting tired over the years."
The property was offered in a private auction last year as part of a bankruptcy court settlement involving Epic Resorts, the parent company of London Bridge Resort. But resort owner Tom Flatley, now one of the group's partners, retained the property after matching the high bid of $4.1 million.
If approved, the proposed amendment would enable the group to build residential units on top of commercial and retail space. Heath said mixed-use development is currently experiencing a rebirth in America.
"It conserves land ... something you don't have a lot of here," Heath said, "and it permits a more full-bodied development."
Heath also said residential development is needed to supplement the project, which he estimated at as much as $80 million.
"We couldn't afford to do it without permitting some residential uses," he said.
Heath said the project would attract wealthy residents to contribute to the city's tax base, as well as help the London Bridge regain status as one of Arizona's top tourist attractions.
"We're going to take great care to make sure whatever you get is up to the standards of the community," he said.
Councilman Vall Striyle said he would not vote in favor of the proposed amendment until he looked at more specific plans for the property. The Council is expected to vote on all of the amendments Sept. 28. Striyle said he also intended to share those plans with the local media.
At first, Heath was hesitant to discuss the project in more detail. But after some audience members echoed Striyle's comment, Health offered a computer disk that included two conceptual drawings showing the front and rear of the project.
Heath stressed that the drawings were strictly conceptual and that the Council would be considering specific plans at a future date.
"I don't want to get into a debate in the papers," Heath said. "The zoning process is still to come. We haven't even hired an architect, yet."
Without mentioning names, local attorney Harvey Jackson, expressed concern about what he perceived as a conflict of interest on the Council. Jackson is a candidate for City Council in the Nov. 2 general election.
Last week, City Attorney Maureen George issued a formal opinion determining that there is no conflict involving Councilman Don Clark.
A local Realtor, Clark is a business partner in a local realty company with Tres Brooks, who is also a member of Havasu English Village LLC. George found no legal or financial ties between the two corporations.
Clark expressed anger over what he described as a personal attack on his integrity. He said he had no financial interest in the English Village and the legal opinion was a matter of public record.
On Wednesday, Clark contacted Today's News-Herald and said that even though he has a written legal opinion that he has no financial conflict of interest, he plans to recuse himself from City Council votes on the project.
"I have gotten a few comments on this today and the perception is very important," Clark said. "For that reason, and that reason only, I will not cast any votes on this project."
The proposed amendments also include a planned mixed-use development on about five acres just south of the bridge. Developer Gerald Clark would not discuss the project in detail.
HDD :D

MagicMtnDan
09-16-2004, 06:13 AM
The heck with that clock tower - they should buy the real Big Ben from the Brits and bring it to Havasu block-by-block No expense should be spared in bringing the UK to LHC.
http://www.arman.kz/images/big%20ben.jpg

Essex502
09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
I hope they enjoy all of the carbon monoxide from the channel. I wouldn't want to live there. OH yeah, I forgot, boats using fossil fuels would be banned from the channel once it is lined with high end condos.

Stealth Marine
09-16-2004, 07:02 AM
I think its safe to say that ANYTHING they do down there will be a VAST improvement over whats there right now.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-16-2004, 07:02 AM
I hope they enjoy all of the carbon monoxide from the channel. I wouldn't want to live there. OH yeah, I forgot, boats using fossil fuels would be banned from the channel once it is lined with high end condos.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-16-2004, 07:03 AM
I think its safe to say that ANYTHING they do down there will be a VAST improvement over whats there right now.
Yes, that is certainly true. But what about Stevo's and his awesome reporting skills! LMAO :boxed:

Stealth Marine
09-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes, that is certainly true. But what about Stevo's and his awesome reporting skills! LMAO :boxed:
Something tells me that he is in NO danger of becoming extinct.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Maybe they'll get a place that serves breakfast for us early risers. :coffeycup :coffeycup :coffeycup :D

Totally IncapASSitated
09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Kids...Big Ben....Parliament!!! hehe I couldn't resist

Ducatista
09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
As long as they keep the fudge shop & Papa Leone's pizza I'm ok with it! :smile:

hot_diggity_dog
09-30-2004, 05:56 AM
Story by: Brian Wedemeyer
The Lake Havasu City General Plan will have a new land-use designation for mixed-use development, but an ambitious plan for the English Village appears to be on hold for now.
After rejecting two earlier motions, the Council unanimously approved the creation a "Resort-Related Mainland" designation in the general plan. Language was added to the proposed text requiring at least a 20-percent commercial element on a future project. It also does not allow for RV resorts, mobile home parks and campgrounds.
Intended to guide future development for many years to come, the general plan was updated by voters in 2002. However, the revised plan did not include a designation allowing for a mixture of commercial and residential development.
"All the information we have about urban planning is that mixed-use is desirable and it's something we'd like to have," said Mayor Bob Whelan.
After approving the new designation, the Council immediately started considering additional plan amendments at specific parcels, including two at the English Village.
Two weeks ago, English Village LLC revealed a conceptual plan for 6.8 acres just north of the London Bridge. The plan showed two large multi-level structures and a tower clock similar to Big Ben. Project spokesman Larry Heath made a similar presentation at Tuesday's meeting.
"What we envision is a world-class development that says 'Welcome to Lake Havasu' ... that gives your visitors an experience they can remember," Heath said. "We also plan to build a sense of gathering, a sense of place for your community."
Although he received a legal opinion from the city attorney's office declaring no conflict of interest, Councilman Don Clark abstained from voting. A business partner with Tres Brooks, who is also a member of Havasu English Village LLC, Clark said he was concerned about public perception.
That turned out to be a key decision by Clark. The Council voted 4-2 in favor of the amendment, but five votes are required to change the general plan. Council members Bob Crabtree and Vall Striyle opposed the decision.
Heath said he was disappointed by the decision and may be forced to sell the property to the highest bidder
"We're particularly disappointed for the residents of Lake Havasu City and the tourism industry, Heath said. "We've owned the property for approximately a year, purchased out of bankruptcy and in its current condition, its not flowing cash. Unfortunately, because of the way the statutes are written for the general plan amendment process, we will be disqualified from coming back through the system for one year. Our first choice would be for the council to consider a revote."
"It's sad to see this go down because I think it's a very important project for this community," said Councilwoman Kristen Lietz-Aldridge. "I wish there would have been a little more discussion on the concerns they had with this project."
In contrast, a request to change about five acres south of the bridge to "Resort-Related Mainland" was approved by a 5-2 vote. Applicant Paul Gilbert did not offer specific plans for the site.
"You can control those details when we come forward with the zoning case itself," Gilbert said.
Instead of the new land-use designation, the Council approved two changes to "Resort" to allow for RV Parks at 1000 London Bridge Road as well as at 1515 Industrial Blvd.
The Council approved the new designation on 180 acres of a 250-acre parcel west of State Route 95 near Sweetwater Avenue. Developers are planning to build a mixed-use project at the site known as Havasu Riviera. The Council also approved the same designation for a 25-acre portion of Havasu Foothills Estates - located on 640 acres east of Cherry Tree Boulevard.
Another amendment to the general plan was approved to make room for a planned industrial park near the municipal airport.
HDD :cool:

Stealth Marine
09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Story by: Brian Wedemeyer
The Lake Havasu City General Plan will have a new land-use designation for mixed-use development, but an ambitious plan for the English Village appears to be on hold for now
Yet another glaring example of the ongoing debate about the very nature of this town's identity.
Pro-Growth vs. Anti-Growth.
pro-Tourism vs. Anti-Tourism.
And most importantly of all
Pro-Boater vs. Anti-Boater.
Lake havasu is suffering from a major personality conflict.