PDA

View Full Version : Popup problems?

Squirtcha?
09-16-2004, 07:23 AM
If you're experiencing popup problems like I was, you'll find this will take care of the problem.
Some of you may already be running the first edition of Ad Aware, but this is the SE or second edition. My old version was finding 60 or so problems every day, but I was still innundated with popups. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't even fill out a simple form, or complete a response to a post without 10-12 popups hitting my screen. When I downloaded and ran this SE version of Ad Aware it found 376 items and since then, I've had absolutely no popups.
It's free and it works. Pretty tough to beat that!
Here's a link.
Ad Aware popup protection (http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button)

Jordy
09-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I updated mine a couple months ago and had the same results. There is also a cool little deal that will check for updates, and there usually is one every week or so. Good stuff. :D

Cheap Thrills
09-16-2004, 07:57 AM
No pop up problems running either the Mozilla or the Konqueror browser on Linux :D
C.T. :wink:
:chi:

GlastronGuy
09-16-2004, 08:09 AM
I run Google to block pop ups and SpyBot for Adware. Spybot can "immunize" your system so that you don't get any adware.

Squirtcha?
09-16-2004, 08:55 AM
No pop up problems running either the Mozilla or the Konqueror browser on Linux :D
C.T. :wink:
:chi:
I was running Mozilla (Windows XP though) prior to installing the SE version of Ad Aware and still had the popups. When they hit your screen, they were opening in Internet Explorer so using Mozilla as your primary browser didn't help. There's no way to disable or uninstall Internet Explorer either (at least that I could find). Don't know where those little so and so's come from but sheesh what a pain in the arse.
I run Google to block pop ups and SpyBot for Adware. Spybot can "immunize" your system so that you don't get any adware.
I was running spybot and it wasn't finding em either. Definitely no immunization (unless I'm running an old version of that too).
Jordy,
Are you saying that there's a way to have it auto-update? I have the freebie version, and you can update it, but all I see is a manual buttom. Could you let me know if there's a way to have it do it automatically.
Thanks
Dan

Keithb87
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks Dan..I just installed it at work and it works great.. I'll put it on at home tonight.

BrendellaJet
09-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Ive found that if you disable the windows messenger that will solve your pupup problems... Adaware is good too.

Squirtcha?
09-17-2004, 05:32 AM
Glad it worked for ya Keith.
Thanks for the tip on messenger Brendella. I went ahead and did that too. Two days and not a single popup. Wow..............what a relief.