PDA

View Full Version : Are You Older Than Dirt?

MagicMtnDan
09-17-2004, 04:37 AM
A guy was cleaning out his grandmother's house (she died in December) and found an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. He immediately knew what it was, but his daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. He knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, is he old.
How many of these do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers
If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

JustMVG
09-17-2004, 04:52 AM
What about Reel to reel tape machines, which at the time were "state of the art", i remember those Coke bottle thingys, Balsa Wood rubber band powered airplanes by Testor, Slot car racing w the huge handheld triggers 1/24th scale, radio flyer wagons that you could use as a sled during the winter months, not real practical for Ca. but i had one, inner tubins w real inner tubes, watch out for the valve stem, oh and the water douche you'd get no matter what you did.
Mike VG

HammerDown
09-17-2004, 04:56 AM
I remember ALL of them except #10.
47 in 2 months, yea I know, don't rub it in. :notam:
I realize I've come to a point in my life where I've now lived longer than I'm now going to live...(think about it) :frown:

NashvilleBound
09-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Some days I feel like when God said "let there be light"...I was flipping the switch. :supp:

JustMVG
09-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Some days I feel like when God said "let there be light"...I was flipping the switch. :supp:
Too funny Nash, how've you been. Mike VG

Mrs. Psycho Squid
09-17-2004, 05:03 AM
I only remember 5. Phhheeeww.... just made it! :D
Those wax coke bottles were the best.

NashvilleBound
09-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Too funny Nash, how've you been. Mike VG
All good Mike, and you? Got some land out here under developement for 35 homes and 6 under construction around town. Even have three guys from the boards looking to buy investment stuff here. Its a great market. Other than that trying to sell this beater sled I drive and get a new one.
Whats new and exciting?
Jeff

JustMVG
09-17-2004, 05:11 AM
Doing great here, we're both busy as all get out, kids are good, for a change :D , getting a new streetbike in the next month CBR1000RR, other than that just cruisin' and having fun.

JAM3
09-17-2004, 07:42 AM
All of 'em. Dam. How about trucks with the starter on the floor and clutchs so stiff they would make your knee explode.

Sane Asylum
09-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I don't wanna talk about it........

Jbb
09-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Older than dirt..... :cool:

Boatcop
09-17-2004, 07:57 AM
I remember them all! :frown:
How about the ORIGINAL Spud Guns. You'd stick the end in a potato and it would shoot the potato piece about 100 feet.
Whammo Air Blaster. Pump it up and it would shoot a "puff" of air to knock down cardboard targets.
Helms Bakery trucks.
Mr. Potato Head, where you had sharp points on the nose, hat eyes, etc. and you stuck them into real potatos.
When I was about 6 years old, my Mom worked for QA at Mattell Toy Company. She would bring home new toy proto-types for us to "test". Once she brought home this army stuff. Green plastic ponchos, canteens, belts, helmets, toy army rifles, the whole works.
She told us that they were going to call it "Guerilla Gear". This was 1961 and the Viet Nam war was just beginning, and there were news reports of "Guerilla Fighting" in Viet Nam and South America.
She told us to put it on and go out and play. So we put on the stuff and were running around the yard, green ponchos, helmets, canteens, guns etc. scratching under our arms and jumping around going "OOH OOH OOH OOH" because we were "GORILLA" fighters. (What can I say? We were only 6!)
Needless to say, they scrapped the idea, and sold it to a pair of toy makers called the Hassenfeld Brothers, who released the stuff a few years later under the GI JOE moniker. In 1968 the GI Joe label was the prime product, and the Hassenfeld Brothers changed the name of the Company to what we now know as "HASBRO"
And as Paul Harvey would say. "Now you know the REST of the Story"!

dirty old man
09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Yea, and dummer 'n dirt too

1Bahnerjet
09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
had a Muntz Blue Light under the Dash of my '58 Chevy.
thought it couldn't get any Better...

dirty old man
09-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Before phones with a name for prefix: You asked an operator for a 3 didget number (small town). The phones went off at 6 o'clock. Ice vendors, milk deliveries, the Helms Man, knife sharpners who walked the streets, home town with lots of vacant lots to play in, dirt roads, air fields with bi-planes parked on them, two and three masted sail boats, cars with wooden spokes, and mostly people who were extremely friendly and honest.

91nordic29
09-17-2004, 08:06 AM
She told us to put it on and go out and play. So we put on the stuff and were running around the yard, green ponchos, helmets, canteens, guns etc. scratching under our arms and jumping around going "OOH OOH OOH OOH" because we were "GORILLA" fighters. (What can I say? We were only 6!)
that almost made me wet my pants, alan! :D i could just see it.
i remember the helms man. my aunt recently told my sister and i about the monthy bills she used to get from him. when he came around and we were playin out front in her yard, we would flag him down and he would give us doughnuts (or so we thought)!
i scored a 13 :cool:

SandbarScot
09-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I remember 16 of them and I'm 40.
Remember 5 cent candy bars?
Thrifty Ice Cream single scoop was also a nickel.