PDA

View Full Version : PVC Boards ???

Hemicbx
09-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Took my boat by an interior shop today to talk with him about getting it re-upholstered. I told him that I was going to be bringing him new, bare frames made from plywood.
He suugested using a sheet PVC product called Azek (http://www.azek.com) . He says he does a lot of work in and around the Baltimore area and he builds boat seats with it all the time. No rot.
It's 3/8 or 5/8 thick and comes in 4x8 sheets. Corners are done just like wood with a screw-block and you can use PVC cement as well. It can also be heated & formed around corners. The main use for the product is for nice white trim boards on houses & such.
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Sounds like the hot ticket for boat seats.
Hemicbx

1978 Rogers
09-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Over time plywood splinters & splits.

Hemicbx
09-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Now, I know there have to be some interior builders out there with some thoughts or comments on this. . .
Hemicbx

NAMarine
09-18-2004, 07:34 PM
We use it in the marine industry here and is a good product. The good thing akso it is a little lighter unlike starboard which is heavier than plywood.

Ol Yeller
09-18-2004, 08:16 PM
I bought some 1/2 inch when I lived in Florida and replaced all the wood on a center console fishing boat. It worked great and could be worked with any wood working tools. Has to be treated for UV rays but would be awesome for seat frames. I'd use 3/4" and stainless screws /w drilled pilot holes as well as PVC glue. Let us know how it works out.

moneysucker
09-18-2004, 08:53 PM
I use plywood, Glass the seams and resin the crap out of the rest. Believe me. the upholstery will be done before the frames and by then you will probably want to update the seats to a newer or diferent style. I don't know what the cost difference is but you will have to look at the cost benefit ratio.