PDA

View Full Version : filling a block ??

WHATA SQUIRT
04-11-2006, 04:20 PM
anyone ever filled a block in a jet boat? or is it a bad idea?

sleekcrafter
04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
my buddy ran tall block strokers for years, tall and short fill, the oil would get hot fast, so oil cooler was added. This was years ago, but now he does not hard block it, his engines seem to last much longer now, several seasons. It seemed when hard blocked, he would have at least one smeared piston, at the end of the season.
Sleek

Blown Away
04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
anyone ever filled a block in a jet boat? or is it a bad idea?
Yes my buddy ran a filled block. BAD idea heads are cool but your cooking the block and the oil temp goes through the roof. Maybe a large oil cooler would help a little ,but I mean my freinds oil got so hot you could see water boiling around the oil pan in the bilge.Needless to say that moter didn't last long. :rollside:

502 JET
04-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Filling a block is only good for drag racing 1320 feet run then you will have to let it cool down.

WHATA SQUIRT
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for confirming my exact thoughts guys & gal's if it applys...Better to ask than be SORRY

LGCDEVIL
04-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Just curious, what is the benefit of filling the block? I assume this means filling all the water jackets in the block so only the heads get coolant?

IMPATIENT 1
04-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Bad Idea, Don't Do It.besides With The Amount Of Pressure Goin Threw A Jet Pump Fed Motor,that's Stiffening The Walls Alittle Anyway!

SmokinLowriderSS
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
15 or 20 psi in there isn't going to stiffen anything appreciably, if at all, but it's still a bad idea. I can't see ANY good point to it.

revndave
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I ran a filled block with no problems for a couple years.I ran an oil cooler.

Cs19
04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Filled blocks have been used on the river for decades, back in the day Merlin,Dart,Donovaon,whatever blocks were not available so people used Gm blocks and bored the crap out of them and filled the water jackets due to the thin cylinder walls.
After a super super long cruise you might see a little higher oil temp, but most of us dont do those laughlin to havi trips in our jetboats,and if you did make all day trips you should have an oil cooler anyways.