PDA

View Full Version : Sub enclosure

Tom Brown
09-17-2004, 11:56 AM
I've always made my sub enclosures out of MDF but a buddy wants me to build him a bling-bling fiberglass box with some weird contours.
I've done lots of glass work, paint, etc. but could use some pointers on box technique. Do you just stretch cloth over a wooden frame and then resin it? Is there a particular type of material that works better than others? How much matte build? Are there any tricks to keep the shell from popping off the box during a full volume Bass Erotica demo?
Thanks,
Tom :)

1stepcloser
09-17-2004, 12:31 PM
I cant answer your question Tom, but I have wondered about that as well, with regards to the matte build up.
I hope someone answers you soon. :cool:

BOBALOO
09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
go to
www.the12volt.com
and look in the forums under fiberglass.

BOBALOO
09-17-2004, 12:53 PM
I think there is a tutorial somewhere on that site on making fiberglass enclosures. My first project was making some kick panels for my truck which came out nice and cheaper than buying some for 200$.
If you use fleece as a wrap for thickness make sure to not mix in too much hardener or the resin will set up before it has time to soak all the way through. I like speaker cloth for doing complex curves b/c it is very stretchy. I also like to use a hot glue gun to hold the material or cloth quickly and for positioning the wood dowels that are used to get the proper speaker alignment.
I also have made pods for my 6x9's on the boat and a center channel for my new truck using glass and BONDO, alot of bondo.
Read up, you'll love it. Last thing , before sanding glass rub some baby powder on all exposed skin to keep the fibers from itching you to death and start out with a cold shower to wash off the fibers while your pores are closed.

Havasu Hangin'
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
They have "bling bling" in Canada? :eek:

Tom Brown
09-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks, gents. :)
If it turns out well, I might post some pictures here. :D
They have "bling bling" in Canada? :eek:
Oh hell yeah. I just had my tractor key chromed. :cool:

riverbound
09-19-2004, 08:21 AM
We use plush felt to get the countours and resin it then for strength you will need to put a couple layers of mat over it, do it on the non visible side it will make for less finish work. like boballoo said dont mix the resin too hot because you want the resin to soak completely through the felt. Good luck

ROZ
09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Another produce you can use is thin no backed basic enclosure carpet. It's a little thicker than fleece and absorbs resin pretty nicely. I've used as many as 8 layers of matte to strengthen the underside of the baffle and then gone on to adding atleast 5 layers on the inside of where the new baffle will mate to the mdf box. Don't let the resin puddle up to thick on the inside corners. It will crack on the inside.

ROZ
09-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Also, if necesary, a resin and bondo mix can be used to help build up and smooth out the top. It's much easier to sand...