PDA

View Full Version : Merc 6.2L upgrades??

sigepmock
09-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Posted this in GearHeads but didn't get any response so I thought I'd try it hear.
I picked up our new Ultra 21 Stealth with the 6.2L Merc with a Bravo 1. It runs decent but as always looking for a little more. Any basic upgrades I should look into? Is it worth replacing the air filter/flame arrestor? Any computer tuning mods available? Budget is a little low for a while but thinking of next year already. Do I save up and do the exhaust? A Whipple ? or just leave it alone and save for the upgrade on the next boat?
Thanks,
Chris

CBLavey
09-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Chris,
K & N still doesn't make a flame arrestor for the 6.2 but supposedly it is coming soon. I checked into roller rockers and was told by numerous sources that the increase in HP - about 10 - 15 would not be enough to feel any difference.
By the way, how did the prop work out?

sigepmock
09-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Thanks Chuck,
The prop ran great but I didn't get a chance to really run it out. We had four people in the boat, full tanks and all our gear and it ran 61ish at 4600rpm. I think with less weight it could have run better but I might look for a 22 pitch to test out just to see what it does.
Doesn't look like there are a lot of upgrades out there for our 6.2L does it? I think I'm going to go the same route you did and get the exhaust done for next year and then probably leave it alone for a while. Thanks again.
Chris

Ziggy
09-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Mines got the 22 pitch and will run about 59-60 @ around 4800-4900....its in a 23' boat.
I'm pretty satisfied with it overall, and with the 22 its a little easier to do towables with the kids.

andy01
09-21-2004, 10:58 PM
It's a 6.2. Save your money and spend it on the next boat. What ever you do to it isn't going to be enough for the out of pocket........
Andy

atomickitn
10-03-2004, 07:17 PM
the 6.2 is a good moter,it has forged pistons steel crank and a billet roller cam i have the same moter in 24 cat that now has been seriously worked [long rod 383 w/awhipple @9 psi w lots of other goodies] but when i first got it i did emi exhaust w/thrutransom and it ran pretty good esp for such a heavey boat. but to each his own.

CBLavey
10-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Tell me about the Whipple. What did it cost? How many hours have you logged on it? Any problems? I've got the same motor and just did the EMI exhaust which did make a big difference. I went from spinning a 22" Bravo at 5200 rpm to a 24-1/2" Bravo at 5200 rpm..

atomickitn
10-03-2004, 07:36 PM
hey cb lets just say alot of hours i drive that thing every were,esp 1week in the summer ido a youth trip to don pedro w/40to50 kids pullin and wake boarden ,the whipple unit was about 5 gs and is pretty easy to instal,i also did one for ogshocker and as far as can tell he loves his as much as i do.