PDA

View Full Version : New Problem CRACKED HEAD!!!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I bought this motor and found out it had a couple cracks in the exhaust seat. So I had it repaired. Today I was looking into a little water in the oil. I started the motor and un-hooked the water line to the header. I ran it dry for a few minutes. I kept getting water out the one side. So I pulled the header and put 10 psi air in the cooling...... :hammer2:
Water sprays out of #1 Exhaust port like a sprinkler :angry2: :mad:
This is not the one that was repaired. That one is fine. :confused:

Floored
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I would say that sucks, big time. sorry to hear that. :cry: went through that with a supposed good used head once, so I do know the feeling :mad:

djdtpr
09-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Were they by chance 990 heads?

78Eliminator
09-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I bought this motor and found out it had a couple cracks in the exhaust seat. So I had it repaired. Today I was looking into a little water in the oil. I started the motor and un-hooked the water line to the header. I ran it dry for a few minutes. I kept getting water out the one side. So I pulled the header and put 10 psi air in the cooling...... :hammer2:
Water sprays out of #1 Exhaust port like a sprinkler :angry2: :mad:
This is not the one that was repaired. That one is fine. :confused:
Leak down the motor. If you are not holding pressure, pull both those heads off and get them magged. Too bad the machine shop didn't fully inspect the heads.....

DansBlown73Nordic
09-17-2004, 11:26 PM
These heads were both mag. checked a couple times.
djdplacecraft???? Why do you ask if its a 990? Because it is a 990. I have a 188 on the other side that has always been just fine.
This really does piss me off, however Im glad I could find the problem so easy.

DansBlown73Nordic
09-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Pulled it apart. It is cracked in a few spots. It is #1 cylinder exhaust port. Looks like a big crack.
If you guys remember this head was cracked and was fixed. However the spot that was fixed wasn't the spot that cracked. It is the same head though.
Are these 990 heads prone to cracking?

78Eliminator
09-18-2004, 04:06 PM
I would get an opinion from a second machine shop. 990s crack, like any other head, if you run them lean or hot.

DansBlown73Nordic
09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
After pulling this head. It looks like the wall is paper thin. This motor was run in salt water. When I got this motor the heads were packed with chunks of rusted metal. From looking at the bad spot it looks like it was rusted paper thin.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
09-23-2004, 06:38 AM
were these heads ported? sometimes folks get a little carried away with the grinder and thin out the walls near cooling jackets too much. I don't think salt water is to blame. You did flush the engine out with fresh water after the salt water run right?
Omega

DansBlown73Nordic
09-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I bought this motor used. Im sure it was never rinsed. They have been ported but I did the porting. I only smoothed the casting lines. Its not possible that I took off that much material.