PDA

View Full Version : What's the best digital camera?

ALTERED-EAGLE
09-17-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm in the market for a new camera, thinking digital? I was just wondering what everyone else has tried, and what are the good ones to look at? Most of my pictures will be outdoors, moving( race boats, on the river type stuff )
and I definatly want something with a good optical zoom. Something that if you want to take pics of the lovely ladies on the boats you don't gotta violate their space to take their pic. I saw HDD's comments on what he uses on a different thread and it got me thinking, thanks.

Slib77
09-17-2004, 05:46 PM
I like Sony products.
They have one hell of a line up.

gramps
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
2 days ago I bougt a Canon 20 D.............GREAT CAMERA.........

Budget Baller
09-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Gramps-
What lens did you get? I am going to look at that exact camera tomorrow.

78Eliminator
09-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Nikon Coolpix is REALLY good. I bought the CoolPix 5000 for my sweetheart last christmas and she loves it. REALLY nice pictures!
and I have a FujiFilm FinePix, which I really like as well and it's a lot less expensive.

BADBLOWN572
09-17-2004, 06:24 PM
I have the Cannon 4.0 Megapixle camera (not sure of model). Little camera has been dropped, abused, etc... and still takes crystal clear pictures. Upgrade to the 256k memory card and can take pictures for days. Also comes with its own rechargable battery. Also, the camera has a metal case. I have zero complaints with this camera so far and I have had it for about 1 year.

Hal
09-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Maybe the Cannon Power Shot S400? Great camera, I have one of those.

Steph
09-17-2004, 06:28 PM
I have a Canon Powershot S230. I love it. The only problem I have had with it is the battery dying really quick.

78Eliminator
09-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I have a Canon Powershot S230. I love it. The only problem I have had with it is the battery dying really quick.
I neglected to mention that one. Same problem with my Fuji.......

BoatPI
09-17-2004, 06:30 PM
For a point an shoot digital Olympus. If you can spare some extra cash then the 5051 or newer model. It takes to cards, and with an XD card, it will shoot panoramic photos. Most have metal cases, NOT plastic. Some models use Compac Flash (and XD) that are a cost savings over XD and SD ($79 for 1 G card). Most use AA Nmh batteries that are CHEAP and recharge hundreds of times.

gramps
09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Gramps-
I already have 3 "EF" lenses a 28 - 55; a 35 - 105 and a 80 - 300.........remember a 35mm lens must be multiplied by 1.6 to get the digital length......ie 300 = 480. If I didn't have these lenses I'd look REAL HARD at the new 17 - 85 (but it's about another $500.00) that was made for this camera. If you are starting out the lens that comes with the "kit" will be fine but I'll bet that you will expand soon. Make sure that your get a large cf card, 512 megs is good.

DryHeatOnly
09-17-2004, 07:02 PM
What price range?
I have a Canon G3 Powershot (4 megapix/4x optical zoom) that I'm happy with. I think it was 6 bills.

Kilrtoy
09-17-2004, 07:07 PM
What price range?
I have a Canon G3 Powershot (4 megapix/4x optical zoom) that I'm happy with. I think it was 6 bills.
Ok so you have no excuse, POST SOME PICS OF THE WIFE....

DryHeatOnly
09-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Ok so you have no excuse, POST SOME PICS OF THE WIFE....
I wanted to post some picts from the DCB Regatta but the camera's in the truck and the truck is with the wife :hammerhea (I think she's in a couple of those picts)
BTW...the 'truck with the wife' thing doesn't happen too often...she took it before I got home :( (...probably out 4-wheelin' somewhere)

Tom Brown
09-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Altered-Eagle,
When you figure out what the best camera is, see if you can figure out the best religion. I'm thinking about repenting my sins but don't want to waste my time with one of the lesser deities.

PlyaPlya22
09-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm in the market for a new camera, thinking digital? I was just wondering what everyone else has tried, and what are the good ones to look at? Most of my pictures will be outdoors, moving( race boats, on the river type stuff )
and I definatly want something with a good optical zoom. Something that if you want to take pics of the lovely ladies on the boats you don't gotta violate their space to take their pic. I saw HDD's comments on what he uses on a different thread and it got me thinking, thanks.
THe one that Kilrtoy, HDD use :D

dmontzsta
09-17-2004, 10:08 PM
I just went through the digital camera buying research a while ago. Do yourself a favor and get the Kodak DX6490 they have lowered the price $100 since I bought it, but I dont think that it will go down much more, it is $399 mostly everywhere. 10x optical zoom and 3x digital, 4 megapixel AND it takes EXCELLENT vids, I could post some stuff but it is tooooo big. I use it as a video camera and a high end camera. I did lots and lots of research and I am not partial to Kodak, but they made a camera right with this one, I love it. It has a nicon battery so you dont run through AA's like crazy. You can buy 1 gig memory sticks if you want. I have two 256mb sticks and two batteries, I can take around 600 pics and/or 2+ hours of vid.
You can also buy adapters to get more zoom if you need, but this ****er is zoomalicious.

Kilrtoy
09-17-2004, 10:17 PM
I just went through the digital camera buying research a while ago. Do yourself a favor and get the Kodak DX6490 they have lowered the price $100 since I bought it, but I dont think that it will go down much more, it is $399 mostly everywhere. 10x optical zoom and 3x digital, 4 megapixel AND it takes EXCELLENT vids, I could post some stuff but it is tooooo big. I use it as a video camera and a high end camera. I did lots and lots of research and I am not partial to Kodak, but they made a camera right with this one, I love it. It has a nicon battery so you dont run through AA's like crazy. You can buy 1 gig memory sticks if you want. I have two 256mb sticks and two batteries, I can take around 600 pics and/or 2+ hours of vid.
You can also buy adapters to get more zoom if you need, but this ****er is zoomalicious.
Well post some damn pics already i have been waiting for months
;) ;) ;)

hot_diggity_dog
09-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Gramps-
Ya baby!!! :D
HDD :D

hot_diggity_dog
09-17-2004, 11:02 PM
;) ;) ;)
Kil you know they won't post a picture of their lady. :yuk: :crossx: ;)
HDD :cool:

dmontzsta
09-17-2004, 11:39 PM
;) ;) ;)
I dont have any and besides she checks the forum, if anything popped up my dick might be whacked off, she isnt a MrsKilr. ;)

FOURQ
09-18-2004, 12:56 AM
i got the sony dsc-f828 a few weeks ago and i love it. its 8 megapixles 7x optical and 16x digital zoom and takes great pics and video has all the bells and whisles it was 1000.00 plus the extra 500 for the 1 gig mem stick but well worth it...
4Q

FRENCHIE
09-18-2004, 08:17 AM
id say get whatever Kilr's got that seems to take bitchen pics... :) but on the real we have the 4530 Kodak and its a 5.0. mega pix...best camera i ever bought...i think it was about $300 bills!! :)

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Olympus get's my vote. I've got a 4 megepixel 3X zoom that takes pretty good pics. Will do more than I really need in a camera. And it takes a beating. :hammerhea

Bow Tie Omega
09-18-2004, 08:34 AM
We purchased the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1. It is a 5.0 megapixel camera and we love it. TO see the reviews, just do a search online for the camera

jdnichols
09-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Dmontzsta,
I went through the same research, looking for the best camera around $500. Having used an Olympus for many years, it was my favorite. I bought the DX6490 as well. I have been super happy with it, Video's and Pictures. Battery life is phenomenal and I have printed 11 X 17 pictures of boating scenes of pretty good quality. With SD 256mb memory sticks down to $39.00 you can’t go wrong. The Kodak software works well though I tend to use a card reader and windows utilites.
Many of the pictures on these pages from the Spring Poker Run (http://www.american***boats.com/PokerRuns/spring2004/Poker_page.html) were taken with the Kodak.
Photo's with the "2004 Heatwave Poker Run" red lettered text on them were taken with a high end Olympus. Such as the aerial shots.
Jim

79miller
09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
I bought myself one of the Canon Digital Rebels (SLR) for Christmas. It takes killer pics and gives you the option of changing to any Canon EF lens. If you like SLR style, you can beat the price.

RP1
09-18-2004, 02:47 PM
I have a Nikon D100, coolpix 5400, coolpix 3500 and a Minolta mentage 4mgp. I like all of them for different reasons..
You can't go wrong with the Nikon or Cannon IMO. If you want the ability to changes lenses than I would look into the Cannon 20D or the Nikon D100. If a fixed lens is your deal, than look at the Nikon Coolpix line, which now goes up to 6.0 megapixels on a fixed lens and has the ability for off camera flash.
I would definetly upgrade your memory card to a 512, anything over that will exceed one CD's writing storage capabilities anyway.

Tom Brown
09-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Back in the early days of digital photography, color maps varied wildly. Canon and Nikon were the most conservative and the closest to real color mapping, IMO.
Some of the other brands took pictures that looked like cartoons. They would produce beautiful, vibrant colors... even on a dull, drab day.
Over the years, color mapping seems to have converged. Feature sets have largely converged also.
A big part of the differentiation seems to come down to lens quality, noise, and physical format. In the recreational photography market, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. A friend of mine has a Casio and he gets terrific quality pictures.
I'm a Canon fan but I'm less inclined than I used to be to pay extra for the brand. There really are a lot of excellent quality cameras on the market these days.
After having a couple of Canons go bad on me, and with friends who have had other brand cameras break, I'm far less inclined to get a real good camera with the idea of keeping it a long time. Cameras don't last a lifetime anymore. I'm a film camera collector and it's been hard to change my view of cameras to that of a disposable item but that is where I'm heading. You spank out $1K for a daily use camera, 14 months later it needs repair and you find out it's not worth repairing because they are going on eBay for $250... so you spank out another 1000 bucks for the next camera you plan to keep for a long time.

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2004, 03:31 PM
You're doing alot of spanking there Tom. :jawdrop:

Kindsvater Flat
09-18-2004, 03:31 PM
I have the Fuji S5000 and have been happy with it. You have to remember to take extra batteries just in case. Here are some of the pics and all were taken only at 1 megapixel.
Kid @ Monterey
http://www.schoutenranch.com/misc/m6.JPG
Boat
http://www.schoutenranch.com/misc/sboat2.JPG
a few jalepinos at the ranch
http://www.schoutenranch.com/mike/jal2.JPG