PDA

View Full Version : Car Toyz

phebus
09-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I had the pleasure of doing business with Car Toyz in Lake Havasu today. Frank took time out from a busy day, and took a couple of hours time diagnosing and adjusting my stereo, and charged nothing for his services. I can't say enough about how nice, and professional he was. He really knows his stuff, and explained everything he was doing to me, so I now have a much better understanding of how to adjust it for the best performance. The bummer was I found out I need a new amp for my sub, but I know where I am going to buy it after the service I recieved.
After all the complaints on the forum of poor service within the boat industry, I just had to share my experiences with a quality company.

BoatFloating
09-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Rick, I haven't seen any posts on Car Toyz poor service. I've heard only positive. So how does the system sound???? and what happened to your sub amp????

phebus
09-19-2004, 08:30 PM
My sub amp- Rockford Fosgate bd1500 shuts off after a couple of hard hits. If you turn off the system and then turn it back on, it will work again but as soon as it hits hard, it shuts off again. It was purchased from Al & Ed's with a five year extended warranty, and Bill told me to contact the store and see what they will do for me.
Frank from Car Toyz spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the system, and eliminated everything else as a problem, and said it must be the amp. While it works, he had the system sounding great.

phebus
09-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Also Rocky, when I was referring to complaints of bad service, I was talking about the boat business in general, not Car Toyz. Like you, I have heard nothing but good about them, and just wanted to let everyone know of a good experience rather than a bad one within the biz. Car Toyz provided me with GREAT service.

BoatFloating
09-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Also Rocky, when I was referring to complaints of bad service, I was talking about the boat business in general, not Car Toyz. Like you, I have heard nothing but good about them, and just wanted to let everyone know of a good experience rather than a bad one within the biz. Car Toyz provided me with GREAT service.
That's what I figured but some people might read it the wrong way.... :boxed: Glad you cleared it up for us. Hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed with the extended warranty.

phebus
09-20-2004, 06:58 AM
I broke out all the paperwork this a.m., and the booklet that came with the Rockford Fosgate bd1500 amp says the original warranty is valid for three years. I am going to call them and see what they say.

Evo22
09-20-2004, 08:25 AM
before you send the amp in I would put a meter at the 12 volt terminal on the amp and turn it up and see what voltage you are at when it shuts down all rockfords have a protection circut and if they see low voltage it kicks in and save the amp from self destructing

phebus
09-20-2004, 09:03 AM
before you send the amp in I would put a meter at the 12 volt terminal on the amp and turn it up and see what voltage you are at when it shuts down all rockfords have a protection circut and if they see low voltage it kicks in and save the amp from self destructing
Will do. If it meters voltage below 12 volts, would that mean my batteries are going? I charge them every night before going out, and the problem is there from the beginning of the day. When I spoke to Rockford regarding the problem, they said it might indicate a grounding problem, but nothing has changed with my wiring, and I checked to make sure everything was clean and tight. I have a run of 4ga. approx. 10' going to distribution blocks with 2 8ga. wires approx. 3' going into the amp.

Evo22
09-20-2004, 10:02 AM
with the engine off you should have at least 12/12.5 volts when the system pulls alot of current it shouldn't drop below 11 and and if it does it should come right back up if it doesnt you have a battery prob or wirring, you have a 10ft. 4ga. power wire what about your ground wire?

ROZ
09-20-2004, 10:58 AM
you have a 10ft. 4ga. power wire what about your ground wire?
Yep, your ground must be exactly like your power run....
How old are your batteries?

phebus
09-20-2004, 12:39 PM
O.K. I need to get to the bottom of this. I took it to Al & Ed's, and they bench tested the amp and said it tested good. I don't know if it was a valid test, because they said they could only test it at a 10 amp load, and the amp didn't even get hot.
Here is how the system is powered:
Three Optima blue top deep cycle batteries- 1 boat, 2 stereo
4ga off + terminal of battery 4ga. off - terminal going to distribution blocks
2) 8ga to + sub amp off dist. block
2) 8ga to + other amp off dist. block
2) 8ga to - sub amp off other dist. block
2) 8ga to - other amp off other dist. block
O.K. I did not do the install, but it doesn't seem right to me that they are running 4ga positive and negative wires from battery, and then pulling 4 8ga wires off to power the amps, and 4 8ga to grond the amps (although the system did work fine this way). I am thinking of running two seperate 4ga wires directly to each amp, and two seperate 4ga to ground.
My current thought is the amp is fine, but my batteries are dropping below 12v on the hard hits, and the sub amp is going into protect mode ( if I turn the system off, then on the amp will work fine again until the next big bass hits). My only arguement to this theory is that I charge the batteries each night, but the problem is there from the get go.
Any advice would be appreciated. I hate to buy new batteries if I don't need them (they are a little over two years old) just to finish this season and then sit over the winter. I do plan on replacing them next season though. And I don't want to waste money on rewiring the system if it isn't necessary.
HELP!!!!!, I need music!!!

ROZ
09-20-2004, 01:43 PM
I have a test for ya.... When you have the boat running with the perko switched to charge the stereo batteries, run the stereo up. The alternator is helping keep the voltage up. If the sub amp doesn't clip, you definitely have a voltage problem...

BoatFloating
09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Rick, since it worked fine before I would lean towards 2 things. 1) batteries are going bad. 2) or that the amp is going bad. That would be my guess. There is a way to test this. I have one of those big Sears chargers that puts out 60amp charge and 125amp fast charge. I can bring it to the Almost Damn Run and hook it to your batteries and put it on 60 amp charge and crank the stereo and if it plays with no problems that is your problem and if it doesn't I would say it's the amp. I'll also have my volt meter to check at your amp during regular play and with the charger on...

phebus
09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks Rocky. At this point, seeing that the batteries are 2+ years old anyway, I am just going to replace them. That way I will have them for the damn run, and if they were the problem, I will have the stereo working for the run rather than trouble shooting at the run and having nothing.
I am also thinking of either running new wiring to the amps, and going with a seperate 4ga power and ground for each amp, or replacing the 4ga wires from the batteries with 2ga that lead to the distribution blocks that have 8ga wires (2- 8ga power, and 2- 8ga ground for each amp)
I'm sure after all that, I will find out it is an amp problem though. :D :hammerhea

BoatFloating
09-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks Rocky. At this point, seeing that the batteries are 2+ years old anyway, I am just going to replace them. That way I will have them for the damn run, and if they were the problem, I will have the stereo working for the run rather than trouble shooting at the run and having nothing.
I am also thinking of either running new wiring to the amps, and going with a seperate 4ga power and ground for each amp, or replacing the 4ga wires from the batteries with 2ga that lead to the distribution blocks that have 8ga wires (2- 8ga power, and 2- 8ga ground for each amp)
I'm sure after all that, I will find out it is an amp problem though. :D :hammerhea
Batteries first wouldn't be a bad idea. They are $152 at Costco for the blue tops...

Evo22
09-21-2004, 07:31 AM
look at rocky he is a regular stereo guy I remember when he used to pay someboby to do it, well maybe not "pay"... Anyways it sounds like your batteries are going south. The 4ga. to the amps is not a bad idea, If you want to get oddesy batteries I'm a dealer for them and can get you the good guy price
thanks,
Brian

phebus
09-21-2004, 07:50 AM
The system had a Farad 1.0 capacitor for the sub amp. When I rewire, should I put it back into the system, or leave it out?

ROZ
09-21-2004, 08:38 AM
With 2 amps I'd just leave it out. Since you're normally running the stereo with the ignition off, it just adds resistance.

rivercrazy
09-21-2004, 08:48 AM
With 2 amps I'd just leave it out. Since you're normally running the stereo with the ignition off, it just adds resistance.
I'm just quoting this for future reference! Is 1Step listening?

BoatFloating
09-21-2004, 08:56 AM
look at rocky he is a regular stereo guy I remember when he used to pay someboby to do it, well maybe not "pay"... Anyways it sounds like your batteries are going south. The 4ga. to the amps is not a bad idea, If you want to get oddesy batteries I'm a dealer for them and can get you the good guy price
thanks,
Brian
Ya, all you wire jockey's taught me everything I don't know. The only reason I know so much is I had to fix Steve's stuff :D
I talked to Roy and he said the cost was to high for the grills. Any other ideas?

Evo22
09-21-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm lookin into castings he said that if I use a sand casting that you could'nt tell if it was billet or cast waitin for the guy to get back to me on prices

Evo22
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
tha's f'd up talking about steve that way :rollside: