PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 shifting question

malcolm
09-17-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm working on my neighbor's Sea Ray with a 4.3 Alpha 1. I think I finally got it running good, but it has that micro switch on the shifter that is supposed to kill the engine momentarily while it shifts right?
Problem is, it's not working. It shifts so easy it doesn't move the micro switch to kill the engine. It just grinds and goes into gear. Will it work once it's in the water?
:confused:

75spectra
09-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Thats not what that switch is for! That switch only comes into play if there is excessive force required to shift the drive. Most often this is the case when the cable is going bad. If its shifting smooth and setup correctly let it be.

malcolm
09-18-2004, 06:46 PM
The only reason I was even looking at it was the micro switch is going bad and killing the motor. We were running it on the hose and it quit. We started looking around at the distributer and the ign. module, wondering which one it could be. About that time I just happen to reach over and wiggle that micro switch, the key was still on and it popped and turned over about 1/2 a turn! :eek:
So I guess we just replace the switch and go. Sounds good.

19cobaltcd
09-20-2004, 08:45 AM
That switch has to be working. You will not notice a shifting problem on the muff's but when the prop is loaded with water you WILL NOT be able to get it out of gear without shutting the motor off.

malcolm
09-20-2004, 07:43 PM
OK, that's what I was wondering about. We still need to change the switch, cuz the motor was dieing without shifting it. :D

1BIGJIM
09-21-2004, 06:46 AM
If you can shift it into gear the switch is working correctly. The Alpha will not shift without taking the torque off the drive. All Alpha sound like they are grinding. I always heard a clunk when shifting :supp: .

Havasu47
09-21-2004, 07:44 AM
19cobaltcd is right. The shift interrupt switch is designed to remove the load from the "dog" clutch to allow the drive to shift into neutral from either forward or reverse. NOT when shifting into gear. If the shift interrupt switch operates when shifting into gear it means the short shift cable that runs from the shift bracket to the drive is getting old and needs replacing.

malcolm
09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Well, it's fixed, I hope. :hammerhea
My neighbor went to pick up the new switch and they sold him a whole new assembly for around $85. We put it in and it still runs, so we'll see if it runs all weekend this time. :)