PDA

View Full Version : The Law We've All Been Waiting For

burtandnancy
09-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Well, our Gov passed this thing, I thot he was smarter than that. My newpaper didn't quite phrase it correctly (or did they): Assemblyman Paul Korentz (W.hollywood) said his bodysurfing bill will protect boaters and their passengers from a "hidden killer" - carbon monoxide in the boats exhaust.
His legislation, which takes effect May 1, 2005, makes it an infraction punishable by $100 fine to have a boat engine running while someone is hanging on to the rear of the vessel, bodysurfing in the wake or on the swim deck or swim ladder.
Damn, there goes all my fun! (he said sarcastically)
Do we really need to pay these people to write these kinds of laws? Yes, I know you can't teach people common sense, but how serious a problem is "teak surfing"? I can't go on with this...

Wicky
09-18-2004, 09:31 AM
The govt shouldn't be allowed to profit from the laws of Darwin!!!

HCS
09-18-2004, 09:42 AM
We need a law against idiots. The fine should be 10 years in prison. :idea:
People just don't think. With all the publicity about teak surfing I couldn't
believe my eyes when I was camping this summer. This guy criuse by our
camp site with his 2 kids hanging on the back of the boat "teak surfing". :hammerhea
What a phucking idiot. There is no law that is going to stop stupid people from doing stupid things.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Feel good legislation. People not owning up to their own responsibility for their own actions.

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2004, 09:53 AM
The following applies to more and more people everyday:
If sense is so common, how come you don't have any??

RiverToysJas
09-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know.....I'm against any new laws, but when I thought about this one, here's what I have come up with.
People have drown doing this activity. Then their family or the boat owner sues the boat builder, and everyone else, right down to the exhaust tip manufacturer. This little feel good law with the tiny $100 fine can be used by the manufacturers in court to show the activity that these people were doing was not only unsafe and stupid, it was also illegal. That MIGHT help them win the case or even better, keep someone from sueing in the first place. This will keep ugly warning stickers off our transom, and might help insurance rates down for manufacturers. That's my dream anyway, and I could be wrong.
RTJas :D

HCS
09-18-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't know.....I'm against any new laws, but when I thought about this one, here's what I have come up with.
People have drown doing this activity. Then their family or the boat owner sues the boat builder, and everyone else, right down to the exhaust tip manufacturer. This little feel good law with the tiny $100 fine can be used by the manufacturers in court to show the activity that these people were doing was not only unsafe and stupid, it was also illegal. That MIGHT help them win the case or even better, keep someone from sueing in the first place. This will keep ugly warning stickers off our transom, and might help insurance rates down for manufacturers. That's my dream anyway, and I could be wrong.
RTJas :D
Agree it should help protect boat manufactures from fivolous law suits.
And the boat operator is at fault for being so stupid. Somehow you'd think
these people have to know that's a stupid thing to do.
But what the hell do I know. Maybe I'm to smart. :notam:

Kilrtoy
09-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Thank god we elected this cocksucker(LITERALLY) to save us from ourselves....

ROZ
10-02-2004, 08:09 AM
I agree with Jason and Hard Core. While it looks to protect the public, it really is more of a benifit to the MFG's. Expct every boat to have a sticker on the transon about the co fine and dangers....

Boatcop
10-02-2004, 08:36 AM
A feel good law is exactly what this is.
This type of operation is covered under the "Careless, Reckless, Negligent" laws, that are in effect in every state and the Federal Government.
All that's needed is the proof that the operation can cause "Injury to persons or damage to property". There are enough cases of deaths and injuries from this practice to more than back this up in court.
If they tried to pass a specific law for everything boaters do to try and kill themselves, their passengers, or others, the boating law books would read like "War and Peace".