PDA

View Full Version : Tom Papp Racing......

cyclone
09-18-2004, 02:25 PM
I had all but given up on making the race at Ming next week until i had the fortunate experience of meeting Tom Papp and his staff. By pure coincidence I strolled into his new shop (thanks to JohnwJM) and after telling him that I wasn't able to remove the balancer from the crankshaft on my motor because I'd sheared the bolts off the blower pulley, he told me to go home and bring the boat back and he'd fix it. So off I went and came back. Mind you, Tom and crew were in the middle of moving into a brand new shop and were still unpacking. But they dropped everything they were doing and helped me fix a small but very stubborn problem with my boat just so that I could go racing. At 9pm last night I hitched the boat back up to my truck and tried to pay the man. He waved me off and just said to get my boat to the track and have a good time. I was floored. Who else would do such a thing and not ask for a penny in return? Anyways, I'm grateful and just wanted to pass the good vibe onto the board and say that this is one heck of a shop.
-mike

victorfb
09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
way to go Tom and good going mike. hope all goes well. good luck man.
just another great story about the kinds of people that are involved in our passion. Tom Papp and his staff deserves the recognition although from what ive heard they are a great shop and is allready well known. Kudos to you Tom Papp and the staff. :)

LOWRIVER2
09-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Tom's the man
I told you anyone John at Inland Ultra refers you to is the real deal. Had some fun times at Ming with both of them.

Danhercules
09-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Where is his shop?

hack job
09-18-2004, 04:54 PM
i think he is in norco

78Southwind
09-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Where is his shop?
Just up the street from your house Dan. I don't know where they moved to but they use to be right across from Ultra I think it was Industrial cross street commerce and hamner.

Jake W
09-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Mike it sure would be sweet to read about one of the 19 Stealths being layed up and rigged in HB :wink:
Jake

revndave
09-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Tom is a great guy.His shop is on Maple st. in Corona.Cross streets are Maple and Pomona rd.

Infomaniac
09-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Always great to hear stories of generous folks.
How did they get the balancer off? A huge puller and some heat? Drill and tap new holes?

Big Proppa
09-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I had to get the cp running for fbc1 - and it needed
new transom
new stringers
new bulk head
new floor
new carpet
new wiring
new transom plates
rebuild pump
new plumbing
reset intake
install motor
completely taken apart and put back together - tommy and crew did it in 2 weeks and I made my trip as he had said I would. Great people down there.
Now he has the spectra and we're doing it all over again for fbc2 -
Thanks for everything tommy -

cyclone
09-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Always great to hear stories of generous folks.
How did they get the balancer off? A huge puller and some heat? Drill and tap new holes?
A 4-pronged puller and a bit of heat got it off. I tried to drill and remove the bolts at the river at the camp ground and just made a mess of the bolts so that wasnt reallly an option. Those guys made short work of something I put several hours of busted knuckles into. Class act all the way.
Took the boat to elsinore at 6am this morning and everything seemed all good with the boat.
See you guys at Ming on friday!

Hotcrusader76
09-19-2004, 01:07 PM
When 'one' loves his job to the point it becomes his life blood, favors like that become normal day habits. It's nice to know we're not a dieing breed. My hat's off to Tom Papp and the gang.
~Ty

Johnwithjm
09-19-2004, 08:09 PM
I had all but given up on making the race at Ming next week until i had the fortunate experience of meeting Tom Papp and his staff. By pure coincidence I strolled into his new shop (thanks to JohnwJM) and after telling him that I wasn't able to remove the balancer from the crankshaft on my motor because I'd sheared the bolts off the blower pulley, he told me to go home and bring the boat back and he'd fix it. So off I went and came back. Mind you, Tom and crew were in the middle of moving into a brand new shop and were still unpacking. But they dropped everything they were doing and helped me fix a small but very stubborn problem with my boat just so that I could go racing. At 9pm last night I hitched the boat back up to my truck and tried to pay the man. He waved me off and just said to get my boat to the track and have a good time. I was floored. Who else would do such a thing and not ask for a penny in return? Anyways, I'm grateful and just wanted to pass the good vibe onto the board and say that this is one heck of a shop.
-mikeMike came buy to see our new showroom and told me about the problem he was having so I walked him back to the service center in the back where I hooked Mike and Tom up and they took care of it for him. I will see you up at Ming this weekend.

78Eliminator
09-19-2004, 08:35 PM
~~

BigBoyToys
09-20-2004, 03:03 AM
I love to hear boat related stories like this. Hats off to Tom Papp and crew! Sounds like you guys down in SoCal have some excellent shops down there. :cool:

Jordy
09-20-2004, 07:09 PM
~~
Why did you edit this one J? It was so on the money. :cool:

Performance 19
09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Tom is a great guy.His shop is on Maple st. in Corona.Cross streets are Maple and Pomona rd.
I thought he was on Industrial in Norco now...Back in Corona??

78Eliminator
09-20-2004, 07:49 PM
~~

Big Proppa
09-21-2004, 08:07 AM
The 91 freeway to Maple exit - go north immeditaley on the right - look for the sign (909) 734-4606

kojac
09-21-2004, 08:38 AM
-mike
Glad to hear more people saying good things about Tom,
Three of my friends I bought 19' stealths from Tom Papp in 2000. We flew out to see the mold when they were done and found gelcoat design on my boat not exactly what I originally wanted. Tom had the scheme changed and made the boat look better than my original design.
He spent the weekend showing us his shop and talking boats and racing.
When the boats arrived in Virginia he sent one of his staff to come out and go through the hulls to ensure we were happy with the results.
Prior to buying his hulls he did not know me. When I had a question about performance or setting up a combination I would call him and he was always available to help me with answers or advice. I am happy with my stealth. When I am done with this boat my next one will be a 22' Edge.
Great guy.
Kojac.

HammerDown
09-21-2004, 12:18 PM
When I am done with this boat my next one will be a 22' Edge.
Kojac.
As in a 22' Jet?

kojac
09-22-2004, 07:32 AM
As in a 22' Jet?
You got it.
Kojac

HammerDown
09-22-2004, 03:36 PM
You got it.
Kojac
Im all over that...more info man!
22' = more room=more freeboard=much rougher water=I could do more on the Delaware River, like not run away from 3 story tall Tugg Boats! :notam:
So tell me Kojac, whats the difference in 22' edge... Is this a tunnel? And if so is it like the Daytona 22 ???

Jbb
09-22-2004, 04:19 PM
I would like to hear this too....I was not aware that they had another mold than the 19 Stealth and 21 ....actually 21.5 Phantom... :wink:

kojac
09-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Im all over that...more info man!
22' = more room=more freeboard=much rougher water=I could do more on the Delaware River, like not run away from 3 story tall Tugg Boats! :notam:
So tell me Kojac, whats the difference in 22' edge... Is this a tunnel? And if so is it like the Daytona 22 ???
Actually Jetboat brian is absolutelly correct aboutThe length being 21 foot and it is a Phantom and Mirage Fundeck boat. But I was thinking of going with the Mirage jet fundeckboat Also 21.3 feet just to be able to carry more people and gear. Also I like the idea of being able to ride further by carring more gas.
While the stealth rides exellent for a 19 footer tunnel I had the chance to ride and drive Fat Rats blown 21 foot daytona. (I think it is similiar to yours) It handled the chop and moderate wakes we encountered at the lake anna hot boat regatta much better than the 19 ft stealth. (I think mainly due to the wieght plus 2 ft in length). It did not pick up and bounce on top of the rough water quite as easily as the 650 lb stealth. My 19ft sterling tunnel is over 1000 lbs and it rides better and deeper than the stealth. Basically same hull configuration with added bubble and setback pump.
Fat Rat indicated that he may sell his daytona due to just wanting more storage space so I figured I may be able to step up in ride and take care of the shortage of space at the same time with the fundeck boat.
I realize I may give up a lot of out of the hole and top speed but my racing days seem to be numbered anyhow. I think I can still top over 110 with this configuation just to give me a little necksnap when I need a speed fix.
As you know I have the 26 foot Pontoon for really rough weekends and when the company comes to the lake but that's for the mid afternoon.
My brother and I still like to get out early before the crowd and drive our jets before the jetskis and fisherman come out. Then we go back at noon and take the crowd out on the pontoon when It get rough.
Could maybe do it all on the fundeckboat Jet.
Tom Papps number is 1-909-754-4606 You can pull up his website at www.tompappracing.com
Kojac

HammerDown
09-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Darn...so it's NOT a 22' Jet Tunnel :frown: Somehow I knew it was to good to be true.
A "Fun Deck"...nah, not for me. Like I told Rat some time ago when he stated he wanted one...To me their like a Corvette Mini Van / Socker Mom type of hull. :p But then again I don't care for bow riders, maybe if I had a family with rug rats etc.
My 21' Daytona is awsome, just sometimes I wish Daytona offered it in a 22'...even more room and freeboard. :cool:
Take care, hope to see everyone at BOTE Anna 05.

revndave
09-23-2004, 02:34 PM
You can get a Eliminator 22 Daytona

HammerDown
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
You can get a Eliminator 22 Daytona
Yep all day long. This I know...but not in a Jet. :cry:

revndave
09-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Im getting a Tom Papp 21 Oct.10 :)

Kwicherbichen
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Tom is the only guy I use. He was instrumental in getting my Challenger back on the water and looking as good as it does ;)

77charger
09-27-2004, 01:19 PM
I didnt like their crew the first time i raced but we settled some differences and all was good at the next race those guys can party pretty hard at the races too.