PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like "slop" from my jet

Paul407
07-08-2001, 08:44 PM
I fired up my boat the other day in my driveway (with the hose of course) and it sounded like what I would refere to as transmission slop coming from the guts of the Berk 12JG jet on the inside of the boat. It did not sound like grinding or clunking but it was just very loud. I have never noticed this before and was wondering if it was because I was running it out of the water or if it is something more serious.

froggystyle
07-08-2001, 09:01 PM
Probably from running it without a load. Put it in the water and see if it is making the same noise. Then it is a problem

rstover1
07-08-2001, 09:15 PM
Like frog said probably because it was out of water. Its a bad idea to run any jet out of the water they are made to be balanced when they are full of water also check your front bearing they can be quite noisy when they are bad

Caribbean19'
07-08-2001, 09:38 PM
Be careful running it out of the water. It is a trade off--running the engine occasionally keeps the engine parts oiled up, but it is hard on the pump. My pump guy said to never run it away from the lake or river--the hose does not adequetly(sp?) lube the gland, and any road grit wears the internals of the pump down. The advice I was given was to back the boat in, get the pump full of water, then pull up for a minute and let the pump drain, thereby removing the grit. Now back in again, and go have fun.
[This message has been edited by Caribbean19' (edited July 08, 2001).]

spectras only
07-09-2001, 09:17 AM
Paul,the noise you refering to is coming from the play between the yoke and spline not being loaded up by the impeller.Like the others said,put the boat in the water,and if it's still making a rattling noise then check the thrust and tail bearings.

rmclague
07-11-2001, 07:14 AM
Mine just did the same thing
I ignored it
The front bearing was bad
Trashed my housing, impellor and shaft.
$900 just to half ass get it fixed
I passed and am looking for another used pump
Be very careful
Open the inspection cover grab the shaft and shake. If you get any play pull the pump and rebuild before you have real problems
No kidding they will crater on you quick
Rob