PDA

View Full Version : Costco biased too?

HighRoller
09-20-2004, 03:41 AM
Was shopping at Costco today and naturally we had to hit the book aisle. Well, the section nearest the aisle had Kitty Kelly on the right and Bill Clinton on the left, at least 6-8 rows deep. Then came the various sore loser books like "Bushworld", "Bush is a poopy head", "How Bush sold my kid drugs" and all those. Wedged in between all of those, taking up one measly row was the New York Times NonFiction bestseller for 5 weeks running...."Unfit for Command". Is the entire Costco chain biased, or just the ones up here? A book that outsells Clinton, Kelly and Franken combined gets hidden. I found that almost as funny as the two lezzies standing next to us. One turns to the other and asks "do we need batteries?" I almost bit my tongue in half staying quiet.

Essex502
09-20-2004, 06:36 AM
Was shopping at Costco today and naturally we had to hit the book aisle. Well, the section nearest the aisle had Kitty Kelly on the right and Bill Clinton on the left, at least 6-8 rows deep. Then came the various sore loser books like "Bushworld", "Bush is a poopy head", "How Bush sold my kid drugs" and all those. Wedged in between all of those, taking up one measly row was the New York Times NonFiction bestseller for 5 weeks running...."Unfit for Command". Is the entire Costco chain biased, or just the ones up here? A book that outsells Clinton, Kelly and Franken combined gets hidden. I found that almost as funny as the two lezzies standing next to us. One turns to the other and asks "do we need batteries?" I almost bit my tongue in half staying quiet.
Costco has a selling formula that works really well for them...they will sell ANYTHING as long as it makes them money. They assign a fixed value for the space that the item takes and if the item does that amount of business then it stays...otherwise it gets the boot. It could be that you're area has folks who want to buy something else or are uninterested in the book.
I got the above from a business associate that does special packaging for Costco. That's why you always see changes in what is being carried. Each store is responsible for their bottom line and can bring in just about anything from cars to books to boats (which I've seen inside a Costco in the past).

eliminatedsprinter
09-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Costco has a selling formula that works really well for them...they will sell ANYTHING as long as it makes them money. They assign a fixed value for the space that the item takes and if the item does that amount of business then it stays...otherwise it gets the boot. It could be that you're area has folks who want to buy something else or are uninterested in the book.
I got the above from a business associate that does special packaging for Costco. That's why you always see changes in what is being carried. Each store is responsible for their bottom line and can bring in just about anything from cars to books to boats (which I've seen inside a Costco in the past).
It may not be the store. Left wingers are going into the big box stores and doing their best to hide the more conservative books on the shelves.
Last month my dad bought one of the more conservitive books from Wallmart.
They had just been put out when he got a copy and there were lots of them. He left his cart for a short while and when he came back it was gone. When he went to get another there wern't any where he found his. He didin't give up and he found another copy. Hidden among other books in an unrelated section. He then looked around some more and found lots of coppies that had also been moved away from where they should be. Some lefty had tried to keep people from finding them.

Havasu Cig
09-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I was in Hollywood Video last night and noticed that on the "coming soon" board was Farenheight 9/11 (sp). It is due out on Oct. 5th. I thought it seemed a little quick for the movie to make it to the video store. Maybe good timing before the elections? :rolleyes:

Essex502
09-20-2004, 10:56 AM
I was in Hollywood Video last night and noticed that on the "coming soon" board was Farenheight 9/11 (sp). It is due out on Oct. 5th. I thought it seemed a little quick for the movie to make it to the video store. Maybe good timing before the elections? :rolleyes:
you can bet the studio chiefs are rushing it.

jas0502
09-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I had read some where(sorry dont remember where) that the CEO's of costco donated $$$$$$$$$$to Kerry's campaign.
Walmart/Sams Club has donated to Bushes. :notam:

OGShocker
09-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Michael Moore pulled F911 out of the Academy Awards so they could get it in to video before the elections. A film that wins an Oscar cannot go to video for six months.

eliminatedsprinter
09-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Michael Moore pulled F911 out of the Academy Awards so they could get it in to video before the elections. A film that wins an Oscar cannot go to video for six months.
That's one vidio that should only be seen in bootleg form..I'll never let that Leni Reifenschtal (sp?) wannabee get a dime of my money....

MagicMtnDan
09-21-2004, 05:38 AM
I don't really care what the CEO of Costco's politics are. Unless he/she is in my face about it, it doesn't matter to me.
And I don't believe for a minute that the books are chosen by the CEO based on his/her political beliefs. Knowing Costco and other successful American retailers like I do, I'll bet that your Costco has those books in that store because the demographics of that area indicate those who shop at that Costco will BUY THAT BOOK.
God bless capitalism - it's an amazing thing when you let people work, earn money and spend money without government interference (well, except for all the taxes).

eliminatedsprinter
09-21-2004, 07:30 AM
I agree Costco is in biz to make money by selling what people want. If you see lots of left wing books there and none of the conservitive best sellers there, I'll bet it's either because left wingers are hiding or stealing the conservitive books from the shelves or the conservative books are selling out. Last I heard the major conservitive books are selling much better.