PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my winter project (2003)

R.A.D.man
09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Just finished my winter project (2003)(bought a house in the meantime). Basically, I'm new here but read often and I have been waiting to run this thing so I can join in and discuss. I have the following:
1972 Sleekcraft Rebel, 18-ft, 455 Olds, Berkeley 12JR with original R intake, loader, bowl, ride plate and shoe. I have installed a new Agressor A mag/bronze impeller, new bronze standard wear ring, new Berkeley droop, new Place hydraulic diverter and 3 1/8" nozzle insert. Boat is a shallow V (IMO) with a very small delta pad leading into the intake. The intake has an aluminum loader ramp that I believe is original and came with the R intake and is made specifically for the R intake.
Just this weekend, boat ran 71 mph (GPS) at 5400 RPM (new motor too).
A little history, with the original setup, mild 455 and C cut SS worked over but old impeller (still good), motor ran 5400 RPM and mph was mid 50's even with fresh pump. Then I rebuilt the motor (professionally) and RPM's jumped to 6800 (no cavitation noticed) and mph was very low 60's. Installed thicker shoe and rpm's dropped to 6500 but speed was similar. I know this was too high an rpm for the motor so I installed the bigger impeller (Agressor A) along with the other goodies listed. Boat has been reconditioned top and bottom and no hook is supposed to be present as per a reputable IMO custom boat shop.
I believe my boat is either very heavy or something is wrong. If it means anything, the boat is rated to carry 10 people or 2000 pounds. I do not know where they would all sit. It is a little boat.
Effectively, this boat has been mine since 1974, I was only 3 then. For those of you that have seen the pictures of ttmott's boat, this one looks like it came from the same mold but his is not a Rebel. The model name of his escapes me.
Thanks in advance. I hope this won't hurt too bad!

Ol Yeller
09-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Where's the pictures?

Squirtin Thunder
09-20-2004, 11:43 PM
I think you need more trim and less plate. I had a friend years ago that had one of those with a strong BBC and it ran 78mph no ride plate no droop nothing speicial.
Jim

Foggerjet
09-21-2004, 04:26 AM
We need pictures! 71 at 5400 sounds pretty respectable to me. Just don't lean on that 455 too much. What cut impeller is on it now? Still a "C"? Seems like the rpm could be a bit lower. I run 70 at 5000-5100 With an "A" in a HEAVY Tahiti. Now, How 'bout those pics?
fog

R.A.D.man
09-21-2004, 04:29 AM
Sorry for not having pictures, no digital camera. I need to get on that. I know it is important. I'll try and get some help to post some. kinda why I waited til now to post but summer is getting shorter and I was hoping for some opinions from you guys to play with.
More trim? I played with the diverter all I could and that was the best speed. Roost is about 5-feet high at top speed. I do have one wedge installed now but not sure of the angle of the cut. I have another one I can add.
Less plate? Never considered that. The pump is not set back but the shoe opening is about 6-inches in front of the end of the transom. Doesn't seem to be much to ride on without the plate. I did not get the dimensions of the plate but I will. I would have to say it is average. Last time out I looked at the diverter & droop while at about 50mph and it seemed to be just above the water while under way, I guess less than an inch of clearance.
I also think I need more lift. At max speed, I have just a little spray at the rear corners coming from under the boat. It does not ride high like Squirtcha's avitar. Can a back cut shoe help this? My shoe looks standard.

R.A.D.man
09-21-2004, 04:36 AM
Fogger, it is a new Agressor A right now at 5400 RPM. Used to be a cleaned up C and when the new motor went in it really twisted too high at up to 6800. I have pulled it down since and checked and repalced rod bearings just for grins. They had a little wear but not bad for what thay had done rpm wise on a olds. I was able to run the snot out of it at 6500 with the C cut and thicker shoe and it never was hurt. I was suprised and happy, my engine builder had a funny look on his face when he rode in it it like he was just waiting for it to come apart but it has not.