PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is this?

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I was chillin Sat. night in Havasu leaning on the wall looked over and said WTF??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16172004_0919Image0015.JPG

Garrddogg
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
UH somthing to run from ?

Slib77
09-20-2004, 09:28 AM
I would've screamed like a little bitch and then run all they way back to L.A.
I F'N hate spiders or anything that looks like one.
That thing is scary lookin'.

Keithb87
09-20-2004, 09:28 AM
I think it's a "Vinegarroon" (sp) or at least that's what I've been told..
At forst glance they look like scorpions and really freak me out. I'm not sure if they bite or not.. I don't want to find out..
The usually mean a hard slap on the wall witha a watersock or slipper.. :jawdrop:

uvindex
09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I think you got yourself a Tailless Whip Scorpion..." :boxed:
"Tailless whipscorpions are reclusive predators of insects. They hunt nocturnally, using their long, delicate first pair of legs to find their food. The spined pedipalps impale and crush the prey and then transfer it to the chelicerae (jaws). Tailless whip-scorpions can only pinch their prey; they lack venom glands."
from http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_whipscorpions.html

Kilrtoy
09-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Looks like the EAST COAST BOYS were following you guys

Keithb87
09-20-2004, 09:32 AM
The Vinegarroon (also spelled Vinegaroon), Mastigoproctus giganteus, is a type of Whip Scorpion, an arachnid that emits a vinegar-like mist (containing mostly acetic acid). The Vinegarroon is not venomous and is not a true scorpion. It is related to spiders, true scorpions, and ticks. Classification: Class Arachnida (arachnids) , Order Uropygi (containing about 100 species of Whip Scorpions).
Vinegarroons are invertebrates that are found in the southern USA and in Mexico. Other Whip Scorpions are found in India, Japan, and New Guinea.
Diet: Vinegarroons are carnivores (meat-eaters) that hunt at night (they are nocturnal). They use their powerful pincers to catch prey. During the day, Vinegarroons hide under leaves or rocks.
Anatomy: Whip Scorpions have four pairs of legs and a hard, protective exoskeleton. There are two organs near the base of the tail that produce a vinegar-like mist which the Whip Scorpion emits when it is irritated. The long, whip-like tail is used as a sensory organ and does not have a stinger (unlike true scorpions, which have a stinger at the tip of the segmented tail).
here.... (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/arachnids/whipscorpion/Vinegarroon.shtml)
Still have not found a color pic yet.

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
I'll tell you what, I sure lost a good damn buzz :jawdrop:

AvengerBabe
09-20-2004, 09:34 AM
At least you didn't find that thing in your BED! :squiggle:

havasulew
09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Commonly called a "Sun Spider". Don't know what the technical name is. Generally harmless but can pinch. They do really crunch when you step on them.

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
If you want more a fun desert nightime game is take black light into the yard. The scorpions will light up like a (and I'm going to steal this from Jordy) "worker in a nuclear power plant".

uvindex
09-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Actually, I would say its the second spider on that page you linked. After looking at the link again, I agree with you. Good catch! :)

Slib77
09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Get some geckos, throw them in your yard and they will eat all that nasty looking crap. They love baby scorpions.

TRIMM MANN
09-20-2004, 09:40 AM
At least you didn't find that thing in your BED! :squiggle:I have a house in Havasu, everytime I get ready to go to bed I check the whole bed for shit like that :sleeping:

Magic34
09-20-2004, 09:42 AM
From what I understand, the sun spider will kick the scorpion in the junk. Funny enough, I have never talked about these things before, but it was a discussion at a friend's house last night, and they told me they put a sun spider in a jar with 2 scorpions and it killed both scorpions. Weird the thread came up today.
I have to kill scoprions around my area with :hammer2: but some help would be nice.

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I have those all the time in BHC. This past weekend there was a huge one on the wall. I took out some Dursban which is illegal and sprayed the shiznit out of him. The next morning that sucka was starting to drag his body. He would not die!
A couple of weeks ago there were two of them sitting by the porch.
Last year we had a party and one came running across the patio. One of my buddies who is an ex-marine did a tuck and roll to sneak up on the bastard. When he got to him he lit him on fire with a lighter and the dam thing started running while on fire. He started to run under the wooden steps and I thought he was going to catch the friggin house on fire :(
They are very big and if they bite you you will taste vinegar in your mouth for a few days to a week.---EDIT---After looking at the info and looking at the pics the ones I have are those sun spiders...not the vinegar bugs---EDIT---
I was joking with the girls that they are big and meaty enough to throw on the grill...They did NOT like that
Not good to see something like that coming at ya....lol

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 09:53 AM
That shit can stay in the back yard. I have never seen anything like that before.

BarryMac
09-20-2004, 09:58 AM
The next Fear Factor delicacy???
gjb

wildbillg
09-20-2004, 10:10 AM
the wife found one of them a few weeks ago and she came screaming in the house "theres a hugh scorpion outside! !"
so I go out with a flash light and there it is a "sun spider", they are really fast suckers. They crunch when you step on them and they POP when you fry there asses, (lighter and a can of WD40) fryed his little but fer scaring the wife.....
then come to find out the eat all the other bugs around the house, so now im sorry I torched him...
:D :rolleyes:

Infomaniac
09-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Nothing a size 10 boot will not take care of.

LakeRacer
09-20-2004, 10:13 AM
the wife found one of them a few weeks ago and she came screaming in the house "theres a hugh scorpion outside! !"
so I go out with a flash light and there it is a "sun spider", they are really fast suckers. They crunch when you step on them and they POP when you fry there asses, (lighter and a can of WD40) fryed his little but fer scaring the wife.....
then come to find out the eat all the other bugs around the house, so now im sorry I torched him...
:D :rolleyes:
Remind me not to piss you off :D You'll probably fry my butt!!

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 11:01 AM
You gotta watch those Piros :)

Her454
09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Those things are nasty...we used to have them at our house in Havasu all the time but never ever saw one when I lived in Yuma? They are pretty aggressive too, I remember one coming up really close to my daughter when she was little and playing on the patio...I freaked out.
I dont like spiders and snakes.........
and that................... :rollside:

miketsouth
09-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Looks like the EAST COAST BOYS were following you guys
That aint no East Coast spider. Hydraulics too small.
No banjo.
WHAT I SAID!!!
:D

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 01:34 PM
That aint no East Coast spider. Hydraulics too small.
No banjo.
WHAT I SAID!!!
:D
Welcome to the sandbox...you better bring goggles, cause we kick shit up around here. :hammerhea :D